Menu

Looking for games and snack ideas.

indigomama

We are far from home, and we decided to have a few friends over on Friday, after Thanksgiving for an afternoon of games and snacks. I'm excited about it, but I need some ideas for it.

Any good games for a larger group of people 15 or so, with ages ranging from 1-adult?

Need some good easy snack ideas, would love them to be dairy free or easily converted to DF?

Thanks!

ETA: When playing games with adults, we've always loved the card/charade game Mafia. If you are familiar with it, do you think it's kid appropriate? Basically cards have a character: mafia hitmen, doctoe, sheriff, village people, narrator. Then with eyes closed mafia kill people, doctor tries to blindly save someone, sheriff tries to guess who it is, and village people either live or die. It's really a lot of fun.

We are far from home, and we decided to have a few friends over on Friday, after Thanksgiving for an afternoon of games and snacks. I'm excited about it, but I need some ideas for it.

Any good games for a larger group of people 15 or so, with ages ranging from 1-adult?

Need some good easy snack ideas, would love them to be dairy free or easily converted to DF?

Thanks!

ETA: When playing games with adults, we've always loved the card/charade game Mafia. If you are familiar with it, do you think it's kid appropriate? Basically cards have a character: mafia hitmen, doctoe, sheriff, village people, narrator. Then with eyes closed mafia kill people, doctor tries to blindly save someone, sheriff tries to guess who it is, and village people either live or die. It's really a lot of fun.

I think "kid appropriate" deoends on the people involved.  Maybe change up the names- maybe substitute "Cooties" or some imaginary malady??? people catch cooties rather than die?

But if there are going to be "Village People" you GOTTA dance the YMCA! :lol:

Editied to add:  Snacks- try a veggie tray with hummous and ranch dip. Pita bread, olives...

It takes a little work but we have made up Jeopardy games for family events. You have to think of the categories and the questions. Then we write the categories and $ amounts on a piece of posterboard and the person who will be Alex Trebek has a printout with all the questions and answers. The fun thing is that you can tailor the questions to the people coming. We divide into teams so even little kids can play and try and have at least one category be things like kid movie characters or something that adults won't know. 

You might find some games that work across all ages groups like charades. But when that breaks down (little ones have a hard time waiting for their turn and get bored easily) you could have available some games for varying age groups:  cards, matching games, checkers, chess, Chinese checkers, twister, monopoly...

DF snacks:

Chips

pretzels

the avocado dip I can't spell

cookies 

fruit

vegetable tray

mini hamburgers

pigs in a blanket

a coffee bar

pie

I think "kid appropriate" deoends on the people involved.  Maybe change up the names- maybe substitute "Cooties" or some imaginary malady??? people catch cooties rather than die?

But if there are going to be "Village People" you GOTTA dance the YMCA! :lol:

Editied to add:  Snacks- try a veggie tray with hummous and ranch dip. Pita bread, olives...

Yes, we could change the names, but maybe not "cooties" because one of the other families the DH is a Dr and I don't know what he'd think of us using the term "cooties"  :laugh:

Veggie tray is a great idea, thanks!

It takes a little work but we have made up Jeopardy games for family events. You have to think of the categories and the questions. Then we write the categories and $ amounts on a piece of posterboard and the person who will be Alex Trebek has a printout with all the questions and answers. The fun thing is that you can tailor the questions to the people coming. We divide into teams so even little kids can play and try and have at least one category be things like kid movie characters or something that adults won't know. 

Fun idea, not sure I want to do the work  :D

I wonder if I can find it done for me online, I'll check, thanks!

You might find some games that work across all ages groups like charades. But when that breaks down (little ones have a hard time waiting for their turn and get bored easily) you could have available some games for varying age groups:  cards, matching games, checkers, chess, Chinese checkers, twister, monopoly...

DF snacks:

Chips

pretzels

the avocado dip I can't spell

cookies 

fruit

vegetable tray

mini hamburgers

pigs in a blanket

a coffee bar

pie

Good idea to have games out that might not work for a big group, but are still fun. I'm guessing those under 5 aren't going to participate too much, so I'm going to have coloring sheets, and some toy sets out: blocks, trains, etc. 

Thanks for the food ideas.