Menu

Open-and-go grammar for a 3rd grader

blondeviolin

You could skip some of the things she already knows. I mean if she generally likes it already... I don't follow the script too closely, if they can already recite the definition no need to repeat. I sometimes write the sentence on scrap paper for them to diagram from scratch. That series needs a streamlined guide for kids like ours.

Climbing to Good English works very nicely. It has grammar and writing included, diagraming included. And, not expensive.

I was also going to recommend CTGE. We are currently using it for 3rd grade, and I am very happy with it. It is a workbook, and each lesson is one page. The price is great, only $4 for the workbook. Milestone books has several sample pages on their website to give you a feel for it.

Although this is more advanced, for diagramming only someone recently recommended this free resource:

Sentence Diagramming

Since your oldest actually likes the grammar program you're using, could you continue to use it and just skip over the repetitive parts?  Like if you know that they can recite all the helping verbs, don't have them do it again.  If there is an exercise which reviews direct objects that they don't need, skip that, too, and so on.

It's really a bonus if your child likes a grammar program, especially one that is so thorough and comprehensive in its content.  I wouldn't recommend switching to something else, if you can tweak things a bit to make FLL work.

HTH!