112 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of plates do you use?

• Casual dinner plates
    • Holiday themed plates (not paper)
    • Fine China or other special non-themed plates used for holiday dinners
    • Paper
    • Mixture
    • Other

What kind of plates do you use for Thanksgiving dinner?  Just a general poll, but also a question.

You can decide if your dishes are casual or special.  :0)  

WWYD? I have more company coming this year than usual.  I use our everyday Fiestaware when I serve Thanksgiving dinner, but I will need to buy 6 more plates to accommodate everyone this year. (I already have over a dozen) The are on sale today so they will be about $11 per plate. It will cost about $66 to buy the plates I need, plus it will take about an hour to go to the store and buy them. This same family uses the high-end paper plates when they eat Thanksgiving dinner at my MILS so I know they won't care if I offer them paper. I prefer to not use paper, but I am not adamant about it.  I can afford to buy the plates, but then I have to store and deal with 6 more plates the rest of the time when I don't need them. I am sure other holidays will come up when I do need this many but still only at Thanksgiving and Christmas, so twice a year.  I have a good dishwasher so aside from having to wait an hour for them to go through the wash/rinse there is little effort in cleaning them up.  

Everyone will have a seat at a dinning table, so no one will be balancing on the arm of a couch.

I have a mix of 5 colors of Fiestaware so there is no rush to buy dishes to match a set.

This is a nice shirt and jeans family, not dressy. 

WWYD?

Buy the plates because I know I will use them again, and it is what I prefer.

Use paper because not only does it solve the plate problem, it means less washing too! (utensils/glasses everything else will be traditional, not plastic)

UPDATE: I went and bought 5 plates.  Most of the open stock in my colors had scratches and I know that my 2 daughters will be quite happy with luncheon plates.  Even dh, who is usually quite frugal, was fine with me purchasing the extra plates so that made it easier. 

I closed the poll about my WWYD so people could just vote on their own houses now. :0). The results ended up 81 buy new plates/ 13 go with paper.  

I couldn't vote - the system said I needed at least one post before voting!  But anyway....

I was going to vote other.  You could borrow the number of plates you need from a family member/guest.

I have a lot of plates - mostly everyday type stuff and a few pieces of "good" china -  and I just use them all as needed.  They don't match but none of them are patterned so it doesn't really matter.  (I inherited a bunch of stuff that I like well enough and keep in a box.)  But I have also asked people to bring things I needed.  This year someone is bringing bowls and spoons.  I just don't have enough for the number of people and the food we are having. 

Paper wouldn't bother me either though.  But if I had almost enough plates and someone to borrow from, I'd go that route first.

ETA:  I am not sure if you want to go shopping for the plates or not.  If you really want them and can spare the time, get the extra plates.  I love having lots of plates so I can feed a crowd.

I would buy the plates because:

you will use them again

you have the cash

they are on sale.

If they hadn't been on sale, I would have said to use paper for now, but get the plates as soon as they go on sale. 

You won't regret having them once you have them. In a couple years you will be so glad to be able to pull out the 'extra' plates for holidays and not need paper.  Especially because you say you even have the table space for them, it will look so nice over the years to have a fully set table for that many people.

Wow, I'm pitiful. I use paper plates. I don't have enough dishes to accommodate my family and I have no desire to buy more. If anyone wants to complain, they can host Thanksgiving next time. I do have enough silverware so we don't use plastic.

But since you don't seem to have a problem with buying the plates and you don't want to use paper plates, I say go buy the extra dishes.

Since you can afford them and would use them again, and you prefer to use real dishes instead of paper, AND you have a family who will be bringing more family to your Thanksgiving dinners eventually and it would be nice to keep using your traditional fiestaware -- I would vote to buy them. :D

If you couldn't afford them and didn't care anyway, I'd vote no. Of course.

Edited to add: I thought I'd read the thread. Truly. Otherwise I wouldn't have said the exact same thing as at least two people. Oops!

If you have the time and storage room to get the extra plates, I'd go get them.  If not this year I would use the nice chinet plates and not give it a second thought, except to pick up the extra plate throughout the year to have the number I needed.  

I love my Fiestaware! I would definitely buy the extra plates. I have two colors, turquoise and medium blue, and will probably collect more colors.

I had Fiestaware plates loaded in my dishwasher and accidentally dropped a large heavy skillet on top of them. I felt sick, thinking many of them would be broken, but there was not even one chip on any of them.

I would buy the new plates. I hate generating trash unnecessarily, so I only buy paper plates in instances where there are so many guests that having real dinnerware for all is absurd (think, maybe 40+ guests).

In my own case, I am still having Thanksgiving meals at my MIL's house. She has and uses a vast collection of fine china. I wouldn't do that, if I were hosting (casual real plates), but it is rather nice for the occasion.

WWYD?

Buy the plates because I know I will use them again, and it is what I prefer.

Use paper because not only does it solve the plate problem, it means less washing too! (utensils/glasses everything else will be traditional, not plastic)

I would buy the plates. If you are spending time in the kitchen preparing a special meal, your food deserves a special presentation, IMO.

I'm not familiar with Fiestaware, but it looks to me as though dinner plates are available on Amazon for $11 each. I would use Amazon, because I would hate to drive a long distance and find that the colors I want are not available.

Or I would get plain white plates. Chef's catalogue, for example, has a set of 12, in a storage box, for $60.

Not paper, reminds me of the Duggars, lol.

What do I use? Well, some might put me in the obsessive category, but I have lots and lots of Spode Woodland, both new and older pieces, all shapes and sizes, which I use as my fall/winter china. I also turkey buffet plates that are a tad small for dinner, but great for holding multiple dessert portions. And a large turkey tureen as a centerpiece. And multiple turkey shaped covered vegetable dishes, sauce tureens, salts and peppers, napkin rings, and so on.

The downside is storage of course. The upside is that everybody loves our Thanksgiving table. Wonderful memories for dc. NOT suggesting you do the same, but Fiestaware in autumn colors and decorations of mini gourds and other natural, seasonal material, with a coordinating table cloth, runner, placemats, whatever, could be spectacular.

Thanksgiving, Easter  (and Christmas until the year my dds surprised me with holiday place settings from Target so I have to use them come Dec. 25th) are the only times I get to use my wedding china, stored in the basement since that is where I have space for them (sigh).  This Thanksgiving, through, it is the everyday Corelle wear as I am STILL not 100% recovered from the late May car crash, and not about to deal with bringing up, using, hand washing and putting away the china.  I trust no one else to handle it, either. 

If money and time permit, I'd get the extra Fiestaware, since you may well use it again.

Borrow them from someone who is traveling for dinner; one of your guests or another friend. If you only use them once a year there is no point in owning them. In this situation I'd ask on Facebook and pick up the plates from the closest person to respond. Don't forget to borrow extra dessert plates and cutlery if you need them.

If I were you, I would buy the additional plates. As others have said, this likely won't be a one-time use, and you'll feel happier if things match.

It's pretty much always just the four of us for Thanksgiving at my house. We use our "fine china," which is a set of the Star Trek commemorative plates Pfaltzgraff made in the mid-1990s. Over the years, we've acquired an assortment of serving dishes that are not part of the original set but coordinate in terms of color. It's our tradition, and the kids look forward to seeing them for Thanksgiving and Christmas each year.

I've given thought to what we'll do once either or both of the kids starts bringing home partners and kids, and I think we'll continue to use the original eight place settings as the base and just add on a second set of something in the same color family to mix and match.

I'm not a formal enough person to worry much about whether every piece on the table goes together perfectly. 

Under no circumstances would I serve a meal in my home on paper plates. (And yes, that includes my 40 person summer bbq party)

If you would use them a lot, buy the additional plates.

If you have enough dishes for your family's use and would only use the additional plates once a year,  borrow some plates from a friend or neighbor. I would not expect my hostess to have matching plates for a large gathering and would not give any thought to mismatched plates - but I would prefer to eat from a real plate, not paper or styrofoam.

I only own "regular" plates. They are used for everyday and holiday meals.

Wow, I'm pitiful. I use paper plates. I don't have enough dishes to accommodate my family and I have no desire to buy more.

I don't think it's pitiful at all. I grew up eating Thanksgiving dinner off of paper plates, with paper napkins, because we considered it more festive. It was part of our family tradition to go buy pretty paper goods for the meal.

I say, if it works for you and your guests, you're doing it exactly right.

I usually use my china, but I decided to use my Fiesta (which is all the Cinnabar color) this year because I got a great fall tablecloth on sale at Marshalls after Halloween that they'll go with so nicely.

Buy the plates. We all need more Fiesta in our lives! ;)

Colors are great for thanksgiving

Wow.  It wouldn't let me vote in the poll because I apparently "need to make at least one post on the forums" before I do.  Look at my post count and :lol:

Anyhoo... I use the fine china, mostly because when else do I ever use it, and also because I actually have 12 place settings of it - the everyday stuff has been chipped and broken so that I have a hard time scrounging around for enough plates to feed a crowd...

At my mom's it's also always the china, but my mother has like three sets of china and a few more sets for everyday.  She's a bit of a dish hoarder... ;)

Are there enough kids coming that they can use paper and the adults use Fiesta?  I love my Fiesta but if I had more people coming than I had plates, I wouldn't buy more. But that's because our kids are grown and we're downsizing in preparation for retirement. I might have an occasional meal that would require more plates than I have but we're casual enough that paper plates wouldn't be frowned upon. 

I'd buy the plates.

I really don't like paper plates.

I definitely wouldn't do some paper and some regular, which I think is worse than all paper. If you give one person a paper plate, everyone should get one.

We have china and fiestaware. The years we host Thanksgiving here, I usually use the china (which we use often and isn't only allowed out 2x a year.)

Though honestly, now that I will have some fiesta serving ware that might change. My platter, vegetable bowls and gravy boat all match the china which is why I'd never used the fiestaware for a big holiday.

I'd buy the additional plates.  My first thought was to go out and buy a box or two of those very basic inexpensive white dish sets and keep them for those occasions, but if you only need about 6 more plates that's not too bad. 

I don't like paper.  Growing up my grandmother used paper for the same reason.  She didn't have enough plates and she lives in a tiny house so nowhere to store more plates.  It was what it was, but I don't particularly care for food off of paper plates unless it's something like a sandwich or hot dog.  Plus, it really is a huge waste.

Then again, if that is what they are used to I guess you cannot go wrong either way. 

Growing up we used paper because of the size of the family getting together.  Now it depends on a lot of factors.  If we are at home just DH, the kids, and me we use our special plates.  If we are at MIL's she always has china, silver, and crystal and worries the whole time about the little grandkids breaking them.  My mom will buy cute seasonal plates and cups.

In your situation I would buy the plates if you could use them at other times.  I wouldn't spend that much on a one time thing.

I have lots of plates.  We have fine china, Fiesta we use day to day, and then we have an acquired antique set of china.  I dip into the extras enough to be glad to have all them.  If you think you will use them regularly and/or you run out of plates day to day before you have a chance to do dishes, I'd get additional plates.  If you just think that's nuts, you won't use them enough, and the family is used to paper, go with that. 

How many plates would you have in total if you got 6 more? 

OR - you could let kids use paper and adults use the nicer plates if you have enough for that?  I have to admit, I like holidays on real plates myself, but it does get hard with big numbers.

I don't really see how it is that much more work to use real plates. The thing I don't get about the dishes thing is that if you are cooking a big meal from scratch, hands down the PLATES are the easiest thing to wash. There's still going to be a kitchen full of pots and pans and serving dishes to wash later, a big stack of plates doesn't really add much work. We are very casual sorts but I don't see disposability of plates as a casual thing so much as a wasteful, trash generating thing. At least the paper plates biodegrade so there's that. And the "nicer" disposable tableware isn't cheap. I know a family were they buy the "nice" disposable plates, napkins, cups, wine glasses, utensils. By the time they buy all that one time use stuff for 25 people, you can buy actual tableware from IKEA. Heck, you could rent it and return it dirty for just about about the same price. Especially since dishwashers are pretty darn common, I don't get why it's that much more work.

For us, it depends on how many people.  I actually have a hodge podge of nice China....but we're weird, we don't believe in saving our nice China for special occasions.  (My Mom's influence...she said, after 20 years of marriage, I asked myself why was I saving my good china for three meals/year when I really like it?)   So not everything matches, but we have some lovely things.   If there are too many, and I don't have enough, I have no problem using paper for a onetime deal.   For us, we tend to have more than enough plates, bowls, etc. but fall short on silverware.

I would buy the plates, especially if you think you'll use them.  Who knows, it may inspire you to entertain more. :)

Because you said you prefer to buy new plates, that's what I voted.

But usually on Thanksgiving, I call my sister to tell her to bring x number of plates and silverware and chairs with her. We do a potluck thanksgiving anyway, so we're each doing part of the cooking and supplies. She just adds them to her list. :)

Cat

I don't really see how it is that much more work to use real plates. The thing I don't get about the dishes thing is that if you are cooking a big meal from scratch, hands down the PLATES are the easiest thing to wash. There's still going to be a kitchen full of pots and pans and serving dishes to wash later, a big stack of plates doesn't really add much work. We are very casual sorts but I don't see disposability of plates as a casual thing so much as a wasteful, trash generating thing. At least the paper plates biodegrade so there's that. And the "nicer" disposable tableware isn't cheap. I know a family were they buy the "nice" disposable plates, napkins, cups, wine glasses, utensils. By the time they buy all that one time use stuff for 25 people, you can buy actual tableware from IKEA. Heck, you could rent it and return it dirty for just about about the same price. Especially since dishwashers are pretty darn common, I don't get why it's that much more work.

:iagree:   I actually really hate disposable plates.  Even when we're having people over to grill and have a picnic in the back yard, I bring the real plates out.  So I have a real bias towards using the real thing.  I don't find the clean up that much harder at all with a dish washer.

Yeah, not much more work.  The only annoying thing to wash really is the pots.  So disposable pots...I get that (kidding). 

But speaking of my grandmother, as an example, she had no dishwasher (not the main issue), and she lives in a microscopic house.  Like literally she has one tiny cabinet to keep dishes.  We couldn't all sit at the table to eat (annoying).  So we would sit all around her house (even in one of the bedrooms).  I mean I guess it was kinda nice that we would all gather and do that, but it wasn't ideal.  She truly didn't have room for more plates.  So...paper.  I don't like paper though so I'm not defending it exactly.  I'm just saying sometimes there really isn't a better way.

I have lots of plates.  We have fine china, Fiesta we use day to day, and then we have an acquired antique set of china.  I dip into the extras enough to be glad to have all them.  If you think you will use them regularly and/or you run out of plates day to day before you have a chance to do dishes, I'd get additional plates.  If you just think that's nuts, you won't use them enough, and the family is used to paper, go with that. 

How many plates would you have in total if you got 6 more? 

OR - you could let kids use paper and adults use the nicer plates if you have enough for that?  I have to admit, I like holidays on real plates myself, but it does get hard with big numbers.

20 diner plates and 12 luncheon plates.  I have 2 oversize serving plates and various platters/bowls so I don't need the plates for anything but serving dinner guests. 

We never use paper for all sorts of reasons.  Mostly waste but also paper, even the nicer stuff, just isn't big or robust enough for me.  I have enough plates to serve 16 people but we have hosted larger groups in the past and I have used a few different tactics to solve the too-few-plates (and silverware for that matter) issue.

1.  Borrow from a guest or neighbor.

2.  Borrow from our local co-op.  They have "party packs" in sets of 25 place settings that are lent out free of charge to anyone in the community.  They do not necessarily match but they get the job done.  

3.  (This one is my favorite)  Go to Goodwill or any other thrift shop and grab as many plates as I need for $0.25 each.  Use them for said event then bring them right back.  It is like "renting."  In your case, that would be a $1.50 "rental fee."  And it is fun for my guests to fight over who gets what plate as many remind them of grandma's plate or plates from childhood.  For the especially enamored guest, I have on two occasions washed up their dish and let them take it home.  Also good for sending left-over plates home with guests at the end of the event.   It is really fun to find rare or funny plates.  I once had a three-person war one Thanksgiving over a Smurf plate.....  The mushroom-themed Corelle from the 1970's was also a hit.

We never use paper for all sorts of reasons.  Mostly waste but also paper, even the nicer stuff, just isn't big or robust enough for me.  I have enough plates to serve 16 people but we have hosted larger groups in the past and I have used a few different tactics to solve the too-few-plates (and silverware for that matter) issue.

1.  Borrow from a guest or neighbor.

2.  Borrow from our local co-op.  They have "party packs" in sets of 25 place settings that are lent out free of charge to anyone in the community.  They do not necessarily match but they get the job done.  

3.  (This one is my favorite)  Go to Goodwill or any other thrift shop and grab as many plates as I need for $0.25 each.  Use them for said event then bring them right back.  It is like "renting."  In your case, that would be a $1.50 "rental fee."  And it is fun for my guests to fight over who gets what plate as many remind them of grandma's plate or plates from childhood.  For the especially enamored guest, I have on two occasions washed up their dish and let them take it home.  Also good for sending left-over plates home with guests at the end of the event.   It is really fun to find rare or funny plates.  I once had a three-person war one Thanksgiving over a Smurf plate.....  The mushroom-themed Corelle from the 1970's was also a hit.

We skip paper plates too and I don't worry about having the plates match so I just scrounge up what I can find.  But the Goodwill idea?  Perfect in so many ways!

What a nice problem to have, so big a gathering of dear ones! :)

I have more china (inherited from DH's grandparents) than places to sit, so it's never been an issue for us. I was going to suggest the Goodwill idea as well. But now you are all set with Fiesta... you should post a picture once the table is set on Thursday! Have a happy holiday.