Menu

Treadwell Readers as LITERATURE instead of a READER?

Hunter

I have always evaluated the Treadwell Readers as how useful I thought they were for READING instruction. Is anyone using them purely for their value as a LITERATURE curriculum? Most of the works that are listed in Michael Dirda's "Patterning Works" list and the works listed in many cannon lists are all there in these readers, adapted and conveniently graded by difficulty level.

As well as independent reading, these look good enough to use as read alouds  a year or more ahead of when they could be used independently. I'm trying to figure out how I want to use these. Any been-there-done-that advice will be appreciated.

My very reluctant to read anything *I* give him 9 year old (third grade) is doing part of Treadwell's Third Rreader mixed with part of The Progressive Road to Reading, Book Three.  He wasn't sure about it at first, but now that he is almost done with the book, he wants to know if I have the next one ready for him. :hurray:

It is not his phonics work, just a book for reading. I have ZERO problems with calling this his literature for this year.  I do read aloud  various classics and favorites to the whole family, but if that couldn't happen I would be completely fine with just handing off the Treadwell readers and calling it good.    I do feel that the Third Reader and up are wonderfully written, and great for literature. I love the selections of folk tales, mythology, and poetry. I think they could be used a grade ahead, or on grade level for a reluctant or struggling reader.  For my son, who is not a strong, eager reader, I have had to break many of the selections in the Third Reader into different lessons; he is usually not willing (yet) to do a whole story in one gulp.  He reads independently from the reader for about 15 minutes a day, gives me an oral narration about what he read, and then chooses a sentence or two from his reading as copywork on the whiteboard.  I check his copywork for accuracy, and then point out any grammar/mechanics that he is currently working through in his grammar (he does separate grammar instruction 3 times a week).  This is all very low key, and even though he really doesn't like reading or writing, he usually doesn't kick back on this simple, daily bit of work.  If I tried a more bells and whistles type of lit course with lots of discussion, evaluation, and comprehension questions, I think he would be resistant and come to  HATE reading. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper

The Treadwell Readers definitely can be used for literature because that's what it is... literature/stories put in order according to reading difficulty (ie- The Little Red Hen", "The Gingerbread Man", etc.  They most likely will be reading those anyway down the road.

My precocious K'er is basically using them that way. The Primer and First Reader had a bunch of nursery rhymes that most children should know. The Second Reader has a lot of Aesop so far. I have him read aloud a story per day (or more if they're really short). He loves them!