Menu

"Affordable" Care Act vent

Moxie

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of money. Ugh. Maybe 100k at least to really be comfortably affordable, and even then, it is more than our mortgage. 

In fact, we've always paid more for health insurance than for our mortgage!

Health care is ridiculously expensive. We've nearly always paid full freight (no subsidies or employer paid) except for maybe 4 years when dh's employer paid (nice!) . . . so I am used to paying over $1000/mo for our insurance, even when we were borrowing it during grad school . . . 

Does your family qualify for any subsidies? That is where the costs become more affordable for families. I did a rough quick game on an ACA calculator, and it looked like 45,000 or so was the cut off for financial assistance for a family of 5 (which seems to be the maximum size on the calculator I used, maybe because rates don't go up for additional kids?).

I agree that 2k/mo is not affordable for a family of 5 earning 50,000. That seems really high. Even 1k/mo is rough, but is realistic, sadly. I haven't had insurance under 1k/mo (for our family) since I was single! (1980s to early 90s!)

Then again, that is how much it often costs through employer groups, but most of us became accustomed to our employer picking up much of the tab. FWIW, here in (the most expensive part of) WV, our family of 5 is under $1500/mo (no subsidies) on the most expensive (best available, Gold level) ACA plan offered. What location are you? If you give me your family income,  state and county and ages of of family members, I will try to check out the ACA website for you for better alternatives. 

There are much cheaper plans available (in our state) if you will accept a "Silver" plan. A Bronze plan can be had for about $950 and a Silver for about $1100. Maybe you need to check further to see if there are better options?

Does your state use healthcare.gov? If so, it is actually very easy to use this year. Thank goodness, because last year was a nightmare!

(((hugs))) and good luck figuring out your options.

FWIW, once you get an ACA plan, if you haven't already, you will be likely be pleased to learn that nearly all wellness care is $0 out of pocket. Flu vaccines, wellness visits, kid vaccines, mammograms, etc, etc. That stuff can really add up for a large family, so having it totally no-cost beyond insurance premiums is a nice benefit. Deductibles and co-pays do not apply to those services. And, if there is ever a very expensive illness or injury, the ACA plans kick in and cover it ALL at much lower levels (and with no caps) than any other insurance I've had. I've been very happy with our plan in the last year, and I am happy to learn that we can keep it for a nominal cost increase for 2015. It's worth every penny for the peace of mind and ease of use.

Yes, prices are crazy, but that's in and out of the marketplace.  We have a private policy that we purchased outside of the marketplace yrs ago, and we've been unable to come up with a better plan via the marketplace.  Through Dh's employer, we would pay 12K/yr for our family (his premium would be covered but we would have to pay to add on the rest of our family).  Right now we pay about 800/month with a 3500 family deductible for our private plan.  In the marketplace, a bronze plan was more than that with a much higher deductible (10k/family).  We aren't eligible for a subsidy.

My brother owns his own business, has had a private plan for years, and saved thousands per year by going through the marketplace.  It really depends on individual finances.

IMO, until we control costs, we'll continue to see prices rise, employees pick up more of their premium, and that's likely going to occur in and out of the marketplace.  For many of those who qualify for a subsidy, the ACA has been helpful in lowering costs.  Costs were rising long before ACA went into effect, with employees expected to contribute more and more to their family premiums, more copays, higher deductibles.  The pattern was set well before ACA ever came into existence.

Yes, prices are crazy, but that's in and out of the marketplace.  We have a private policy that we purchased outside of the marketplace yrs ago, and we've been unable to come up with a better plan via the marketplace.  Through Dh's employer, we would pay 12K/yr for our family (his premium would be covered but we would have to pay to add on the rest of our family).  Right now we pay about 800/month with a 3500 family deductible for our private plan.  In the marketplace, a bronze plan was more than that with a much higher deductible (10k/family).  We aren't eligible for a subsidy.

My brother owns his own business, has had a private plan for years, and saved thousands per year by going through the marketplace.  It really depends on individual finances.

IMO, until we control costs, we'll continue to see prices rise, employees pick up more of their premium, and that's likely going to occur in and out of the marketplace.  For many of those who qualify for a subsidy, the ACA has been helpful in lowering costs.  Costs were rising long before ACA went into effect, with employees expected to contribute more and more to their family premiums, more copays, higher deductibles.  The pattern was set well before ACA ever came into existence.

You may be eligible to buy through the marketplace if the employer-offered plan is not "adequate" . . . Check into it.

Our company went to a health savings account.  I finally went to the doctor yesterday after having what I thought were bad allergies for several weeks.  Apparently it turned into a severe sinus infection and I needed an antibiotic and prednisone.  The insurance took less than $10 off the price of the drugs.  What good is insurance if I still need to pay more than 90% for the generics? I'm sure the cost of the drug coverage is far more than $10 per month, and it did nothing.

Our company went to a health savings account. I finally went to the doctor yesterday after having what I thought were bad allergies for several weeks. Apparently it turned into a severe sinus infection and I needed an antibiotic and prednisone. The insurance took less than $10 off the price of the drugs. What good is insurance if I still need to pay more than 90% for the generics? I'm sure the cost of the drug coverage is far more than $10 per month, and it did nothing.

Ha! I take one of WM's $4 medicines. For years, I've paid $12 for a 3 month supply. I went in a few weeks ago and they said I could only get one month at a time (this is a medicine I'll always be on) and it would still cost $4. Turns out, this was the first time they filed insurance on it. Why would I pay the same but lose the convenience?? The least the insurance company can do is hire people to look at these things and say, "Wait, our policy is dumb and will annoy our customer".

My best friend's private insurance when from $700/mo. to $1200/mo. and her deductible went up too. I would say that's more than the previous years increases.

Many wellness visits including mammograms and pap smears were included in the costs of many insurance plans for a low copay or free prior to ACA. So many of us don't feel that we are getting more for our increased premiums, including my friend who is facing $500/mo increase at a time when she's looking at making college tuition payments for the first of her four children.

.... "Affordable" care...my a**! That is putting it mildly to how I really feel about it. We once had good and affordable health insurance. ...

Yep.  Our monthly premiums and deductibles are skyrocketing.  Last year's increases were somewhat normal, but this year's are insane.  I'm sure some people are benefiting from the law, but for many of us, healthcare is now unaffordable.

As I understand it, the ACA's rate caps don't go into effect until 2015, so the for-profit corporations are jacking things up while they can. You know, because their CEO's yachts are too small or whatever.

They have to spend a certain percentage (can't remember the exact % but it's pretty high) on medical claims or refund the insured (or whoever paid for the policy). That is already in effect.

All of these increases were happening to many of us before the ACA.  Blaming the ACA for them is indeed political.

Exactly....... our worst increases were 10-12 years ago. We pay far less now than we used to, as do many I know. And our coverage is excellent. You don't hear about people that are happier because they now pay less or can now actually get insurance as they don't tend to "speak up".

You may be eligible to buy through the marketplace if the employer-offered plan is not "adequate" . . . Check into it.

We have, but I thank you.  The coverage is a good plan, it is just very pricey to add on our family.  His work plan meets all of the legalities for affordability for employees because it would be deemed affordable for DH, since his premium would be fully covered.  The affordability standard isn't the same for non employee family members. DH is well compensated, but it still hurts to pay upwards of 10K for health insurance, plus of course deductibles, etc.  Others certainly have it worse, however.  And I said upthread, my brother has greatly benefited, with a major reduction in his rates thanks to a subsidy.

edited to add link that addresses the ruling stating employer sponsored coverage for the family (vs the employee)  doesn't have to meet the affordability standard.  Even if affordability applied, Dh's compensation is such that it would still be deemed "affordable" according to his income.  But it is a moot point since we wouldn't pay >9.5% of his income toward *his* premium, since DH's employer would pick up his premium at 100% if we didn't have a private family policy.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/pdf/flsawithplans.pdf

Exactly....... our worst increases were 10-12 years ago. We pay far less now than we used to, as do many I know. And our coverage is excellent. You don't hear about people that are happier because they now pay less or can now actually get insurance as they don't tend to "speak up".

We're not paying less now, but our premium increase the past two years has been significantly less than it's averaged over the past 10-15 years.  And deductibles, co-pays, etc. have remained relatively stable.

I was not surprised at all.

It's a joke.  Coverage is slim, prices are astronomical.  Just as the critics said. 

And oddly enough many of those critics also fought aspects of the ACA that could have addressed some of these problems. 

And of course to blame all current high health care premiums on the ACA we have to ignore the double digit increases that have been occurring since the early 90s.

Or we can just look at what is really happening now.

--The average premium for employer sponsored health plans increased 3% from 2013 to 2014.

http://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/8625-employer-health-benefits-2014-annual-survey4.pdf

--Some plans on the Healthcare Exchanges are seeing increases.  However, average increases are lower than what is being reported which means that consumers may need to shop around to keep rates low.  Rates are varying widely across the country.  Premiums for plans have dropped in some states (example: Maine, New Hampshire, etc) and consumers willing to switch plans (same level, but different plans) can see premium decreases in a big proportion of the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/upshot/why-shopping-is-so-important-in-health-enrollment.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&abt=0002&abg=0&_r=0

A nice fact check on some of the claims being thrown around regarding the ACA:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/11/20/fact-check-obama-bachmann-health-care-premiums/19319933/

In summary: shenanigans.

We have, but I thank you.  The coverage is a good plan, it is just very pricey to add on our family.  His work plan meets all of the legalities for affordability for employees because it would be deemed affordable for DH, since his premium would be fully covered.  The affordability standard isn't the same for non employee family members. DH is well compensated, but it still hurts to pay upwards of 10K for health insurance, plus of course deductibles, etc.  Others certainly have it worse, however.  And I said upthread, my brother has greatly benefited, with a major reduction in his rates thanks to a subsidy.

edited to add link that addresses the ruling stating employer sponsored coverage for the family (vs the employee)  doesn't have to meet the affordability standard.  Even if affordability applied, Dh's compensation is such that it would still be deemed "affordable" according to his income.  But it is a moot point since we wouldn't pay >9.5% of his income toward *his* premium, since DH's employer would pick up his premium at 100% if we didn't have a private family policy.

Correct, and I wish Congress would work to correct this flaw in the ACA rather than trying to repeal it for the eleventienth time.

Also know the routine bloodwork with your annual is not free.

That (along with other labs) has almost always been a separate charge for us. However, certain bloodwork is now included with our annual exam. I know cholesterol levels are included and there were a couple of other basics, I think it's called CBC but I'm not sure on the name, included as well. Those are really going to vary by plan/insurer, and are not across the board type things. Only during the short time that we were with an HMO were all labs included.

Have you checked into covering just you and the kids on an ACA plan? Is that allowed?

Before the ACA, we had employer based small group plan (through our own business), and when the ACA plans came out, coverage was better and cheaper to drop our small group and have everyone switch to ACA plans. (And,  yes, we did give raises to the two employees whose rates in the new ACA plan would have been more than their share on our group plan. The rest of our staff got cheaper rates and more choices with subsidies.)

Anyway, in our state, we switched to a BETTER plan with our same insurance company. If dh had to stick with employer based, we could have left him on it, and then the rest of us could have opted to an ACA plan. I am not sure if this is allowed, though. I know that, as an employer, our employees were better off if we completely stopped offering a plan, as that allowed some to get onto their parents' plan, others to get on a spouse's, and others to get cheap (subsidized) ACA plans. 

I hate all this insurance stuff. This year, I have the fun of taking over figuring out my mom's medicare advantage plan . . . I thought I was done figuring out insurance plans once we got on the "perfect for us" plan that we could through the ACA last year (and that was thankfully still available for 2015).It never ends!! 

Ugh. ((Hugs)) 

Blame the insurance companies.

You had better coverage before?

WE certainly did.  Can't speak for everyone, of course.

The kicker is the new "narrow coverage" scam.  SURE...you can have all these "freebies" IF you see the one doctor 400 miles away who is willing to accept this payment from this insurance company who is profiting from you.  Otherwise, you are on your own. 

I've done massive research and found the best docs and paid out of pocket for two surgeries now. 

Now that the government website actually permits you to look at the plans prior to putting your SSN and all kinds of personal information in, I looked.  For a single person in my age group, the cheapest plan was $700 a month with $3500 deductible that covered almost nothing (except hey...that birth control!  Really important to those past menopause!).  So $1,400 a month and $7000 deductible for my husband and myself.

Yeah...um, no.   

And oddly enough many of those critics also fought aspects of the ACA that could have addressed some of these problems. 

And of course to blame all current high health care premiums on the ACA we have to ignore the double digit increases that have been occurring since the early 90s.

Or we can just look at what is really happening now.

--The average premium for employer sponsored health plans increased 3% from 2013 to 2014.

http://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/8625-employer-health-benefits-2014-annual-survey4.pdf

--Some plans on the Healthcare Exchanges are seeing increases.  However, average increases are lower than what is being reported which means that consumers may need to shop around to keep rates low.  Rates are varying widely across the country.  Premiums for plans have dropped in some states (example: Maine, New Hampshire, etc) and consumers willing to switch plans (same level, but different plans) can see premium decreases in a big proportion of the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/upshot/why-shopping-is-so-important-in-health-enrollment.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&abt=0002&abg=0&_r=0

A nice fact check on some of the claims being thrown around regarding the ACA:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/11/20/fact-check-obama-bachmann-health-care-premiums/19319933/

In summary: shenanigans.

I don't blame it all on the ACA. It was just a convenient excuse for the criminal enterprises (that fund politicians, by the way), to stick it to consumers yet again. I know it has been going up rapidly the past 15 years or so, because we've been jacked up every year on rates. "Some plans on the Healthcare Exchanges are seeing increases." That's hilarious.

NOBODY is seeing any substantial decrease at all, and the only ones who have benefitted are those who are low income who have pre-existing conditions. That's it. Everybody else is hosed.

Nothing at all was done to contain costs. If you don't address that, while passing legislation, the criminals just take the profit another way - by narrowing coverages and minimizing providers, and rejecting every possible claim. So most are basically paying much higher rates for catastrophic coverage only, since their deductibles have skyrocketed as well as their rates. 

I really don't get what's happening. My dh's step-mother had the same insurance plan for thirty years. Out of the blue last January she got a letter telling her that her plan was cancelled, because it "wasn't good enough" and she had to buy a "bigger, better" (read: more expensive) plan. This policy covered her health needs for thirty years, even got her through a bout of breast cancer. Now all of a sudden it's not good enough???

I don't get it.

It wasn't good enough for the insurance company to extract more money from her. 

Just another example of the "We tell YOU what you need" mentality that prevails today.  I want to live in the "I decide what is best for me" mentality. 

Dreaming, I know. 

Blame the insurance companies.

You had better coverage before?

Yes, we certainly did. 

The company could afford better plans.  Now that it has to cover a bunch of stuff that everyone didn't want or need, the rates have gone up for less coverage in areas where it actually matters, like expensive stuff - not that once a year visit that cost you $40. 

ACA was designed to help the insurance companies keep making money.  Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

My first job that had health insurance, back in 1990, had no coinsurance, no deductible, and a $15 copayment.  This was with Aetna, and was a small woman-owned business.  As time went on (before the ACA), the copayments rose, the deductibles rose, and then we started seeing coinsurance as well.  Before, you'd either have co-insurance or a deductible, but not both.

Of course, then I had gestational diabetes, and found out I couldn't buy insurance myself.  That was fun.  

The ACA was designed with the input of insurance companies.  Otherwise, we'd have single payer...perhaps like Medicare with supplemental plans to pay the 20%.  

We live in FL.  For our family of six, on a gold plan, it's $1600/month.  FL did not participate in the healthcare exchanges.   Even with gold, we still have a deductible.  Some of the platinum plans do as well.  There's still a bunch it doesn't cover.  But in many regards, it's better in that there are no pre-existing conditions.

Our health insurance through COBRA that we had with NY was better.  10x better.  Each state is different.

Rather than trying to repeal the ACA 50+ times, I'd really like to see the Republicans propose improvements to the existing plan.  We can do better.  Every other developed country does.

I don't blame it all on the ACA. It was just a convenient excuse for the criminal enterprises (that fund politicians, by the way), to stick it to consumers yet again. I know it has been going up rapidly the past 15 years or so, because we've been jacked up every year on rates. "Some plans on the Healthcare Exchanges are seeing increases." That's hilarious.

NOBODY is seeing any substantial decrease at all, and the only ones who have benefitted are those who are low income who have pre-existing conditions. That's it. Everybody else is hosed.

Nothing at all was done to contain costs. If you don't address that, while passing legislation, the criminals just take the profit another way - by narrowing coverages and minimizing providers, and rejecting every possible claim. So most are basically paying much higher rates for catastrophic coverage only, since their deductibles have skyrocketed as well as their rates. 

Actually some people are seeing decreases.  Just the facts.

I do agree that the ACA doesn't fix a lot of problems. Which is why I support a single payer system.  Notice our good friends in Canada and other countries don't have to have these health insurance arguments every year.

Right now we pay $95/month for a PPO for four people. We've had to pay a lot out of pocket this year though and it's hurt so we just decided (it's open enrollment now for us) that we are switching to the HMO and going back to co-pays. We will then be paying $250/month for four people. It's worth it though because co-pays for regular doctors will be only $35 and specialists will be $55. A simple visit to a specialist right now costs us a minimum of $500. The HMO's through dh's company don't require referrals either. I've already checked and we can continue to see all of our doctors and specialists. I'm pretty happy with things.

I am interested in knowing what the "criminal enterprises" are and what the criminal activity is.  Many insurance companies are not-for-profit, mutual companies.  Given that rates are rising with these insurance companies (who do not have shareholders, other than policyholders, that can profit from raising rates and rejecting claims), the cost health care appears to me to be due to things other than highly profitable insurance companies.  

What are the not for profit companies?  I only know the for profit.  I'd totally support a not-for-profit.

Aetna  NYSE AET

Humana NYSE HUM

United HealthCare Group NYSE UNH

BCBS is a group of 37 different insurance companies, like WellPoint. NYSE WLP

We don't have Kaiser were I live.

Right now we pay $95/month for a PPO for four people. We've had to pay a lot out of pocket this year though and it's hurt so we just decided (it's open enrollment now for us) that we are switching to the HMO and going back to co-pays. We will then be paying $250/month for four people. It's worth it though because co-pays for regular doctors will be only $35 and specialists will be $55. A simple visit to a specialist right now costs us a minimum of $500. The HMO's through dh's company don't require referrals either. I've already checked and we can continue to see all of our doctors and specialists. I'm pretty happy with things.

Holy crow!! I'd be happy too!!

What are the not for profit companies?  I only know the for profit.  I'd totally support a not-for-profit.

Aetna  NYSE AET

Humana NYSE HUM

United HealthCare Group NYSE UNH

BCBS is a group of 37 different insurance companies, like WellPoint. NYSE WLP

We don't have Kaiser were I live.

http://www.nonprofithealthcare.org/resources/BasicFacts-NonprofitHealthPlans.pdf

According to the Alliance for Advancing NonProfit Health Care, 63% over the plans with over 100,000 enrollees are not-for-profit

Have you checked into covering just you and the kids on an ACA plan? Is that allowed?

We looked into it last year and again this year, but the savings for 4 vs 5 people (assuming DH went on his employer's plan) wasn't very significant, and still pricier than our current private plan, which has a lower deductible (and covered things like well visits for the kids even before ACA).  We still wouldn't qualify for a subsidy due to our household income, so the cost would still be very high, and the deductible much higher than our current plan's.  We've used our current plan for almost 5 yrs; the price has risen in that time, but since we never hit our deductible, they have lowered our deductible each year.  We are now down to a 3500/yr/family deductible, which is as low as they will do on our current plan. 

ACA was designed to help the insurance companies keep making money.  Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

My first job that had health insurance, back in 1990, had no coinsurance, no deductible, and a $15 copayment.  This was with Aetna, and was a small woman-owned business.  As time went on (before the ACA), the copayments rose, the deductibles rose, and then we started seeing coinsurance as well.  Before, you'd either have co-insurance or a deductible, but not both.

Of course, then I had gestational diabetes, and found out I couldn't buy insurance myself.  That was fun.  

The ACA was designed with the input of insurance companies.  Otherwise, we'd have single payer...perhaps like Medicare with supplemental plans to pay the 20%.  

We live in FL.  For our family of six, on a gold plan, it's $1600/month.  FL did not participate in the healthcare exchanges.   Even with gold, we still have a deductible.  Some of the platinum plans do as well.  There's still a bunch it doesn't cover.  But in many regards, it's better in that there are no pre-existing conditions.

Our health insurance through COBRA that we had with NY was better.  10x better.  Each state is different.

Rather than trying to repeal the ACA 50+ times, I'd really like to see the Republicans propose improvements to the existing plan.  We can do better.  Every other developed country does.

Yep, my husband worked in big pharma for years and we had essentially a cadillac plan. My DH left that company to return to graduate school. Fast forward a few years, and our friends in that company were telling us about how much their employee contributions toward the premium had increased, how much copays had risen, etc. and that was 7+ years ago, before ACA.  DH now works for a smaller employer, has a wonderful job, is well compensated, but healthcare would be very expensive for our family through his employer.  We've discussed with our friends still working for Dh's old employer, as he's had offers to return there, but financially, it isn't really much different than what we're paying for our private plan or would be paying for Dh's employer sponsored coverage.  All of that to say, big increases and an increase in the shifting of financial responsibility to the employee has been going on for a long time IME.

Young adults who can now stay on their parents plan are benefiting. Most of my friends, as well as myself, are enjoying that aspect. Pre-existing condition coverage is a HUGE deal to many of us, not just people with low income. I do agree that there does need to be more cost containing measures. I'd also like to see Tort reform addressed.

Actually some people are seeing decreases.  Just the facts.

I do agree that the ACA doesn't fix a lot of problems. Which is why I support a single payer system.  Notice our good friends in Canada and other countries don't have to have these health insurance arguments every year.

I seriously doubt anyone is getting decreases in premiums and/or deductibles without getting decreases in coverage as well.  But ok. 

Too much money to be made to move to single payer system.  And honestly, the government doesn't handle its current responsibilites very efficiently, so I wouldn't expect that to change. 

Don't even get me started on the ACA. We were a young, self insured, single income family who was doing everything right. Paying into an HSA for non-emergent expenses, with $400 per month for hig deductible catastrophic and cash paying childbirths. Low risk for all of us.

They upped our rates to $800-ish per months initially in anticipation of the ACA, while leaving our deductible the same. Fine. But two months later we find out that whoops! Doesn't comply! Then it's up to $1400 per months, with the same 10K deductible, and nothing we can sock into our HSA to cover it.

Did I mention we are low risk and healthy? And we were already choosing the most economical, personally responsible insurance option?

Furious doesn't really hit upon the rage we feel over this. And now we can barely buy groceries, because the expense jumped almost four times over and the income coming in stayed the same. %#^,'si!

Yes, it is really hurting younger people.  When I was young and bought my own first policy (early 20's) it cost me $100 a year and everything was covered! 

Kids today do not make any more money but they sure are being socked.  

I just saw some infographic yesterday about how people are being so squeezed today.  It's a big concern - as we all have kids here.  How are they even going to live?  Who is going to buy our houses when the next generation can't afford anything.

Will this world turn into the Elysium movie?  All questions I ponder. 

I seriously doubt anyone is getting decreases in premiums and/or deductibles without getting decreases in coverage as well.  But ok. 

Too much money to be made to move to single payer system.  And honestly, the government doesn't handle its current responsibilites very efficiently, so I wouldn't expect that to change. 

Read the links.

Considering the inadequacies that we are forced to accept from corporate America, and considering how much better many single payer systems work when compared to our current system, I am willing to take a chance that the "government" can do better.

Dh own his own small business. No employees. It is our sole support. Our health insurance premiums were going to double for the same high deductible coverage. We were priced out of the health insurance market. We are now with Samaritan Ministries, a health share organization.

We switched to Christian Health Share (Samaritan Ministries) more than 10 years ago and I definitely have no regrets.  Every time I read one of these insurance threads or listen to stories around the lunch table I'm so thankful we switched.

$405/month for the whole family and coverage at 100% - any doctor, any hospital.

Stuff under $300 isn't covered, but we sure can pay for a ton of that in our monthly savings.  Other things not covered (abortions, drunk accidents, etc) we don't and won't need.

They've paid for a broken collarbone, hubby blacking out in our horse pasture, youngest's epilepsy diagnosis and treatment, my brain tumor, and now whatever other nerve thing is going on - still being determined.

We'd have been out thousands (literally) had we not switched.  Just in the past two years I'd have had to come up with $25,400.  That would mean my kids wouldn't be going to college to be honest.  Then too, things aren't finished yet.

And we were young and healthy too - with no brain tumors (or other tumors) or epilepsy in either of our backgrounds.

At school we're doing regular fund raisers for a co-worker with insurance.  It's been nice not needing those to be honest.  It's bad enough dealing with the issues.

But health shares don't work for everyone (those not Christian, those with pre-existing conditions, those needing expensive prescriptions on a regular basis), so quite honestly, something really needs to be done with health care in this country.

If health shares can make it work affordably, it seems other solutions should be able to as well.

I was not aware of these "health share" organizations.  I would like to know more.  I guess I'm surprised the government isn't trying to shut them down.??

We googled & my dh spoke to several.  I believe there were three he spoke to, if my memory is correct. Growing up that is what my parents had through our church denomination way back when.  It worked and was always much cheaper than any other health insurance. 

We had reasons we chose the one we did verses the other two that dh looked at.  At this point they are legal but it wouldn't shock me to know they get shut down.  The three that my dh investigated were all faith based. 

Everyone we have spoken to have had positive experiences with them and the price for us is much, much, much cheaper with FAR better coverage! 

I was not aware of these "health share" organizations.  I would like to know more.  I guess I'm surprised the government isn't trying to shut them down.??

Ours is a Christian organization, so only works for active Christians (denomination doesn't matter, but in general, the vibe tends toward more conservative views).

They are 100% legal under ACA and the last couple of new doctors I've seen (or rather, their staff) have thanked me for going that route so they don't need to deal with insurance.  As ACA has taken over, the groups have grown phenomenally making more doctors and hospitals aware of them than before. 

Here's their main website:

http://samaritanministries.org/

and FAQs:

http://samaritanministries.org/how-it-works/faq/

If you have other questions, pm is probably best.  As stated, we've been members for over 10 years and are on our 5th claim.  We've never been shorted by any other member (a typical fear).  There's no way I'd switch back to insurance even if the costs were the same to be honest.

But YMMV pending your likes and needs.  These groups aren't for everyone.