Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

8FillTheHeart

Have all of you seen this article? Horrifying.

I think that it's worth keeping in mind that it can be very challenging for people to accurately remember events, even when they feel that the event is burned into their mind.  I was talking to a friend who mentioned an article by a witness to a shooting in Northern Ireland.  At one point, he had been in a position to be looking down the barrel of one of the British soldiers who then fired on the crowd.  He had a clear memory of what the soldier looked like and what he was wearing.

Later at the trial, he saw a photo of this soldier, taken from a different point of view, but at about the same moment.  He was shaken to see that the man was wearing fatigues and soft cap, not the battle armor and helmet he envisioned when he recalled the event.  

I know people who were at the Pentagon on September 11th.  They mention the fact that they recall some things with great clarity, others not at all and often all of it in jumbled order.

Personally, one of the take aways from this is that if you think your friend has been raped or beaten or been the victim of any crime, you help them through the process of reporting it to the police.  Had events occurred as the first part of the article described and had her friends called the police and gotten her hospital care, then the damaged table would likely have been there as evidence.  Physical evidence could have been taken.  She could have started receiving counseling right away, rather than months after the fact.  

Has anyone seen a list of the alleged "discrepancies" in her story? The only ones I can find any reference to at all are (1) the frat says they didn't have a party on the date she claimed, and (2) the guy who was her date wasn't a member of the frat. Neither of those things seems like a make-or-break detail to me — whether the guy was a member of the frat or just a frequent visitor who partied there, and whether the party was that specific weekend or the previous or following weekend, do not really change the impact of the story.

A friend has confirmed that he found her wandering a mile from the frat house one night, badly shaken and claiming she'd been assaulted by multiple guys at a party. Her roommate has confirmed that Jackie's friends all noticed a dramatic change in her behavior after the incident, and that she became depressed and withdrawn. Clearly she did not simply make up the whole thing, and yet Rolling Stone seems to have totally thrown her under the bus with their "apology," claiming that they were wrong to have trusted her.

And now some @ssh*le has released her full name, she's had to hire a lawyer, the frats are demanding an apology from UVA for having temporarily suspended them, and we're back to slut shaming and victim blaming. I feel like this poor girl is being raped all over again. :(

Mis-remembering details definitely does not negate the overall reality of an experience. It has always intrigued me that in my memory of my first baby's birth the room is very dim, and I don't recall more than two people. And yet I know for a fact that the entire peds team was there, as well as the dr., at least one L&D nurse, my husband...and every light in the room was on and shining straight at me. Anyone else would confirm those facts. But I don't remember things that way.

And now some @ssh*le has released her full name, she's had to hire a lawyer, the frats are demanding an apology from UVA for having temporarily suspended them, and we're back to slut shaming and victim blaming. I feel like this poor girl is being raped all over again. :(

Yes, a friend and I were talking about this earlier today.  You just can't count on anonymity on these types of things, nor can you trust how the press is going to handle a very personal situation like this.  Having been a head dormitory assistant ages ago and having dealt with this sort of thing then, it grieves me that nothing really has changed in 30 years.

It's a horrible cultural problem IMHO.

A cultural problem isn't the only thing highlighted by this article.  I see a spotlight on a Journalism Problem.  And journalists wonder why they aren't trusted!  Or, maybe they don't wonder, maybe they know.  

Has anyone seen a list of the alleged "discrepancies" in her story? The only ones I can find any reference to at all are (1) the frat says they didn't have a party on the date she claimed, and (2) the guy who was her date wasn't a member of the frat. Neither of those things seems like a make-or-break detail to me — whether the guy was a member of the frat or just a frequent visitor who partied there, and whether the party was that specific weekend or the previous or following weekend, do not really change the impact of the story.

A friend has confirmed that he found her wandering a mile from the frat house one night, badly shaken and claiming she'd been assaulted by multiple guys at a party. Her roommate has confirmed that Jackie's friends all noticed a dramatic change in her behavior after the incident, and that she became depressed and withdrawn. Clearly she did not simply make up the whole thing, and yet Rolling Stone seems to have totally thrown her under the bus with their "apology," claiming that they were wrong to have trusted her.

I've heard other discrepancies like there is no one from the frat worked at the aquatic and fitness center like Jackie said. Also that pledging and initiation did not take place in the fall, only in the spring so there wouldn't have been pledges there.

I think the main problem with all the discrediting of the Rolling Stone article is that it is giving people the ability to sweep the problem back under the rug.  And this is definitely a problem, at many universities not just UVA.  But if we can discredit all reporting on the issue then we can pretend it doesn't really happen and that everything is ok.  The result of this is that we continue to foster the environment where this can happen.  While saddened by the Rolling Stone article I wasn't shocked by the alleged crime.  What truly upset me was the attitudes of the other students, the unwillingness to help someone in need, the self-centered arrogance of not becoming involved, and the acceptance of that sort of treatment of another human being let alone the encouragement offered to continue the behavior. 

I've heard other discrepancies like there is no one from the frat worked at the aquatic and fitness center like Jackie said. Also that pledging and initiation did not take place in the fall, only in the spring so there wouldn't have been pledges there.

But the guy she named did work at the pool, he just wasn't a fraternity member. But he may have still hung out there, so she might have gotten that confused. 

As for the pledging, it could have been guys interested who were not officially pledges yet. I bet they have unofficial pledges until the Spring...guys you are interested, getting to know the brothers, etc. 

But the guy she named did work at the pool, he just wasn't a fraternity member. But he may have still hung out there, so she might have gotten that confused.

As for the pledging, it could have been guys interested who were not officially pledges yet. I bet they have unofficial pledges until the Spring...guys you are interested, getting to know the brothers, etc.

I'm listing the other discrepancies that were mentioned in the media because correleno asked has anyone seen a list.

This. It's this way at my son's school. Official or unofficial, they basically hang as a group until pledge time. It's against the rules for pledges to be freshman at ds's school, but those that are interested in pledging the second year are clearly "one of the group" early on.