Menu

Homeschool Connections Reviews, Please

Has anyone enrolled their high schoolers in classes with Homeschool Connections?  Would you mind giving me a review of your dc experience?  I am drawn especially to the literature, history and philosophy classes offered through the unlimited access.  My kids' schedules never have allowed for a live class.  I like that you can pay a month to month fee which makes it more appealing to give it a try.  Thanks much!!

I've used both the live and recorded classes. Their live classes are more inexpensive than other online schools, but it's still more money than I like to spend. So, we haven't done a lot live. We did Latin since it's a hard subject for me personally. And we did writing because of the difficulty of grading on my own. Now that Homeschool Connections has the grading service for the recorded Latin and writing, I may do that instead next year. My kids really like the interaction of the live classes though, so we'll see. I like that you can pick and choose classes and don't have to sign up for a whole program.

The Unlimited Access is a godsend. It's inexpensive and there's a lot to choose from. If you're not Catholic, keep in mind that most of the classes are taught from a Catholic ethos. The writing program (which is excellent, imo) would be fine, but history and literature are going to have a strong Catholic influence. And theology too of course.

The recorded classes are especially good if you have a self-directed learner. If not, make sure you're keeping your children on task. Put it on your planner to follow up. Of course, you'll be doing all the grading unless you pay extra for grading services. Most of the classes come with answer keys. Also, you can do classes as a family if your kids are close together. The kids watch the history classes on the television with my husband.

My sweet sophmore is taking the recorded classes currently. She is pretty independent and I just go through and assign videos and sometimes the assignments of the course. We have completed or in the process of completing American History, Economics, and various Lit. We are Catholic and especially like that the courses are presented from our worldview. We use them in much the same way someone would use one of the Teaching Company courses. She is also enrolled in pretty heavy writing courses through an online provider, but when those are complete , I plan on assigning some papers. Currently , she discusses the classes with us and takes notes. I wanted her to have a medieval history year, and am quite pleased with e selections. I highly reccomend them. I believe they still have an inexpensive trial for a week. I didn't do any laundry that week as I was enjoying the classes. Live would be better, I think, but this can't be beat.

Thanks for your responses.  We are Catholic, and I am pretty impressed by their line up of professors and teachers.  This year two of my dc are studying history with Light to the Nation as a spine and I noticed that the editor is the teacher for those courses. Also, Joseph Pearce has "rock star" status with me.  I am planning to take those courses myself.  I have heard some mixed reviews from friends though, especially with writing instructors.  Are there any that you would recommend in particular?

• Like 1

There was a lot of problems with the writing when the teacher's son was going blind and she broke her wrist. Since then they've hired several new teachers to help her. She designed the program and trained the new teachers to do the teaching and grading. No problems since then that I know about. I really like the thoroughness of the program and how it builds on each class.

Here's a story about her son that they posted on the parent Facebook group,

http://www.wwmt.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Blind-dancer-uses-Google-Glass-to-keep-dancing-58008.shtml#.VGqSzYeFOTp

Phillip Campbell isn't well known like Joseph Pearce, but he's a rock star at our house. His history classes are the ones my kids watch with their dad. He makes history really fun and interesting. My 14-year-old daughter likes Kris Coreirra's (sp?) anatomy classes. My 17-year old's favorite is Dr. Rioux and his philosophy classes. She likes Monica Ashour's theology classes too.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I'm looking into using Homeschool Connections for a couple of my kids in the fall. I'll probably use one or two live classes and then the recorded ones, perhaps with the teacher access. Any more reviews? When I read the "homework" section of course descriptions I'm a little underwhelmed. Many of the descriptions mention reading and perhaps quizzes. I want them to give my kids reading and writing assignments as well as tests. I don't want to have to add assignments myself if I'm paying for something like this.

Thanks!

I was looking at this today too.  We did a live class the first semester they offered anything.  It was on Beowulf and while my son at the time was going through a Beowulf craze and enjoyed the class, there were lots of glitches.  But I am seriously considering the speech and communication course with Kevin O' Brien.  This would complement my plan to focus on rhetoric next year.  I also was looking at the intro to programming class.  I keep thinking I should get the unlimited access but then I don't how much we'd use all those classes.