Menu

What's the most popular burger joint in your area?

chiguirre

It says ours is Steak n Shake, Krystal, and Wendy's*. :ack2:  I've never once eaten at Krystal. 

We have searched out the very few Whataburger's we have here and, if looking at fast food burgers, we eat there or Five Guys.

*ETA: I thought it was Wendy's but now realize it is Checker's. So, I've never eaten at Krystal or Checker's. It seems strange those are the most popular here.

OMG. I JUST had a Five Guys Burger for dinner, so the map seems right to me. I'm serious. I haven't even thrown out the bag yet. I meant to have Costcos Teriyaki Pineapple meatballs, but my family mutineed :-/

Also, I can explain the southern WV DQ blip. It's all about the Hinton DQ. It's beautiful. It's built over the river.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/01/87/bd/0187bdc258b1be573ae719bac84aeb61.jpg

It looks like In n Out is dominating eastern Oregon, but there are no In n Outs in Oregon at all. Unless maybe I'm confusing the colors and it's Sonic?

There is an In and Out in Baker City, but it is not part of the chain. The chain brought legal action against the independent place, but my understanding is that the independent place predated the chain by so long they were allowed to keep the name.

I do not believe I have ever seen a Sonic east of Gresham, although there may be one in Bend.

Our restaurant is the most popular burger joint in our town, all 51 people, lol.

We lived in OK. I never got the Whataburger thing. Every one we went to was gross, greasy, and rundown. Maybe it was the area?

Oh, I miss Jack-in-the-Box, though! My kids were just lamenting because they couldn't get a breakfast sandwich for dinner...

It is opened 24 hours. Many people who love Whataburger and think it is AMAZING have only eaten it while intoxicated.

I thought this map and article were really interesting. They ring true for Houston where Whataburger is definitely the local powerhouse.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/mapping-americas-most-popular-burger-chains-102982398426.html

I live in Austin. I grew up in Houston and College Station

I'd have said Sonic was the big one here. Or maybe Dairy Queen. I know no one who goes to Whataburger other than my husband (And he doesn't go often). People don't talk about what they ate there or plan to meet up there or whatever.

Growing up, Dairy QUeen was the big draw for trips. I knew we'd end up at Dairy Queen regularly whenever we were travelling and I believe it is Texas native ?

Sonic -- because of their half hour drinks -- gets talked about a LOT.

It is definitely wrong for my city.

They say Carl's Jr but there really aren't that many here.  I checked the map for my city, there are 4 locations.

Burgerville has a dozen locations and since they are more expensive than Carls Jr, it isn't a cheap/expensive market difference. CJ's is the cheaper option.

Mcdonalds, Wendys, and Burger King easily outnumber Carl's Jr.

I think the cheaper burger chains are making a bigger showing because they calculated via foursquare check-ins. I'm guessing that foursquare users tend to be younger and frequenting cheaper chains. I think that's why Whataburger is beating out Sonic and Five Guys in Oklahoma.

ETA: but there are a crap-ton of Jack in the Boxes in Hawaii. That is a fact.

We seem to be on the line for Hardees/Krystal. Which is strange considering they seem to be closing them. Hardees here does quite well...for breakfast. No one there for lunch or dinner which is when they serve burgers. Our most popular burger joint is a fairly regional place called Pal's. They won't let the franchise go beyond a certain number of counties. Just a little drive thought box that tends to cause traffic blockages with cars lined up out into the main road at lunch and dinner time. Hang out at the little local airport, and you meet people who fly in from 3 hours away just to pick up a burger. Yeah, it is that good.

What the heck is Checkers? Weird map!

The map seemed to show Checkers for PA, but I don't think I've ever seen one here.  They're plentiful in FL (and we really like them).  Then, on the map key, we noticed that they use essentially the same color (on my monitor) for Wendys.  We do have several Wendys around here, so I think that's what is supposed to be king in our area - though it could be McDonalds as we are right near where the color changes.

It says Hardee's......yuck!  I actually liked Carl's Jr. but even though they are owned by the same company, they are NOT the same. The Hardee's are typically dirty and older and the food is gross.  I don't know what their fries are fried in but they taste coated in something.

We got a Carver's over by our local amusement park, so when we go to the park, we go to Carver's.  We also like Smashburger.  

As far as Fast Food hamburger places go, we don't really eat many of them.  We do an occasional McD or Wendy's when we are with friends who go there, but we prefer not to.

That map is wrong for our area. The supposed most popular chain here doesn't have any locations here.

:confused:

This isn't a big burger area. We one have BK, McD, Wendy's. Most of the DQ's only serve soft-serve, not food, too.

Five Guys opened a couple places a few years ago. I like the spicy fries but only a few, and I can only eat part of their smallest burger. It is too much for me. My one DS likes to go so I eat some fries with him and he gives me a bite of his burger.

You know your in-box is full.......just sayin'

That map is wrong for our area. The supposed most popular chain here doesn't have any locations here.

:confused:

This isn't a big burger area. We one have BK, McD, Wendy's. Most of the DQ's only serve soft-serve, not food, too.

Five Guys opened a couple places a few years ago. I like the spicy fries but only a few, and I can only eat part of their smallest burger. It is too much for me. My one DS likes to go so I eat some fries with him and he gives me a bite of his burger.

In-and-Out, which I totally do not understand the popularity of. I've had it 3 times in my life (each time at the prompting of my dining companion) and every time I felt like it was an okay burger but SOOOOOO not worth waiting in the ridiculously long line for. If I'm going to have to wait 30+ minutes for a burger, it should be a million times better than what I can get at some other burger place. In-and-Out simply isn't.

I haven't ever waited 30 min. at an In-N-Out.   

We used to go periodically to the one down the street from us.  The burgers are fresh, not frozen, so the appeal is a better burger.  The shakes are real ice cream and not the mix stuff, so there is an appeal there.

In-and-Out, which I totally do not understand the popularity of. I've had it 3 times in my life (each time at the prompting of my dining companion) and every time I felt like it was an okay burger but SOOOOOO not worth waiting in the ridiculously long line for. If I'm going to have to wait 30+ minutes for a burger, it should be a million times better than what I can get at some other burger place. In-and-Out simply isn't.

I haven't ever waited 30 min. at an In-N-Out.   

We used to go periodically to the one down the street from us.  The burgers are fresh, not frozen, so the appeal is a better burger.  The shakes are real ice cream and not the mix stuff, so there is an appeal there.

There are other places have fresh burgers but no 30+ minute lines. 5 Guys, the Habit, Johnny Rocket's, etc.

I should take a picture of the line at the local In-and-Out the next time I'm over near there. It's crazy!

Culvers? Yep. Now I want frozen custard. 

White Castle is kind of iconic for the Chicago area, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Most people would rather pick up a Vienna hot dog done the Chicago way or an Italian beef. Those places also serve bar burgers which are similar in some ways to Culvers. They're just independent operators. 

ETA: but there are a crap-ton of Jack in the Boxes in Hawaii. That is a fact.

So Cal is firmly In n Out territory.

The first (and only) time I've had Jack in the Box was in Hawaii. Ditto In n Out and S.CA. 

I'm with you. In-and Out is OK, but way over-rated. I'd go for Habit burgers anytime over In-and-Out.

Bill

There is an In and Out in Baker City, but it is not part of the chain. The chain brought legal action against the independent place, but my understanding is that the independent place predated the chain by so long they were allowed to keep the name.

I do not believe I have ever seen a Sonic east of Gresham, although there may be one in Bend.

Our restaurant is the most popular burger joint in our town, all 51 people, lol.

I think I read In n Out may open in Medford next year.

I live in Austin. I grew up in Houston and College Station

I'd have said Sonic was the big one here. Or maybe Dairy Queen. I know no one who goes to Whataburger other than my husband (And he doesn't go often). People don't talk about what they ate there or plan to meet up there or whatever.

Growing up, Dairy QUeen was the big draw for trips. I knew we'd end up at Dairy Queen regularly whenever we were travelling and I believe it is Texas native ?

Sonic -- because of their half hour drinks -- gets talked about a LOT.

I think the main draw at DQ and Sonic (and CULVER'S--my personal favorite) is the ice cream. Whataburger doesn't have any awesome dessert items. I agree with Slartibartfast about the foundation of their reputation.

I have never waited in a 30 min line? Must be your specific area?

The first (and only) time I've had Jack in the Box was in Hawaii. Ditto In n Out and S.CA.

Honestly, if you are in Hawaii and want a burger, then go to Teddy's. It is a local chain. They are so popular here that that have locations in Japan. But, again, the map was based upon four square check-ins, not burger consumption.

I used to be a Five Guys fan but now I'm one of the old curmudgeons who complains about them selling out. We used to go to the original Five Guys when it was only one location. They had nowhere to sit down and eat (or maybe it was just always too crowded) and loooooong lines. There were roasted peanuts in the shell and while you waited you could eat them and people would toss the shells on the floor. The burgers were really good and the fries were better. 

I think the burgers are just ok now, but the quality has really gone down. The day I saw a Five Guys at the mall was a sad one. 

For all the "What the heck is Checkers?" questions - 
Have any of you been to Rally's?
If so, it's the same thing. Just sister companies. 
I've only ever been to Checkers once. I was in Mississippi visiting a boy I was dating at the time. Checkers was the best thing about that trip. Fantastic fries!

ETA: 
My state overlaps with Sonic and Steak and Shake. I've never understood the draw to Steak and Shake. Blech. But, Sonic wins every time - unless there's a Dairy Queen nearby. 

According to the map, White Castle is the most popular burger in my area, but here's my thing...I don't really consider White Castle a "burger joint." It's something else entirely. If I want anything close to a good burger, White Castle is not even on my radar.

Steak 'n' Shake appears to be the second most popular burger in my area, and that's what I would have expected to be number one, so it's pretty close, all things considered. And I do enjoy Steak 'n' Shake, so no complaints from me on that one!