Menu

If you were prescribed a CPAP machine

Laura Corin

19 members have voted

1. 1. How many apnoea episodes were observed per hour?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 21-25
    • 26-30
    • More than thirty
    • Other

How many apnoea episodes were you observed to be having per hour in your original sleep study?  The nurse who saw my husband today to fit him for the CPAP was surprised to see someone with such a minor case.

The poll allows multi-choice in case more than one person in your household uses a CPAP machine. 

Thanks

L

Laura,

My original was done approx. 2000.   If my memory is correct, I was told I had moderate s.a. at around 25-27 per hour.  That's about 50 % of my hour that was wasted.   I had a 2nd study Dec. 2012 and don't recall the stats on that but I do remember them being lower than in my original study.  I was happy to hear the word mild instead of moderate.

I need to still wear my cpap even though it's considered mild.  

Not sure if that helps or not but hope so.    Sheryl

Did anyone experience nausea or bloating with their CPAP. I actually was never able to tolerate the mask and they eventually just took it back. Now it's not being treated at all but my new Pulmonary doctor is referring me to a new sleep clinic at this new hospital so hopefully they will have some more solutions for me. 

Did anyone experience nausea or bloating with their CPAP. I actually was never able to tolerate the mask and they eventually just took it back. Now it's not being treated at all but my new Pulmonary doctor is referring me to a new sleep clinic at this new hospital so hopefully they will have some more solutions for me.

I think you might've been swallowing air. I did that for awhile, then I read on apneaboard that if you train yourself to sleep with your tongue on the roof of your mouth, it will stop leakage and air swallowing. It took me a few weeks to get used to it, but now it's just second nature.

I think you might've been swallowing air. I did that for awhile, then I read on apneaboard that if you train yourself to sleep with your tongue on the roof of your mouth, it will stop leakage and air swallowing. It took me a few weeks to get used to it, but now it's just second nature.

Yes I was, I am a mouth breather who gets Short of breath a lot but they never gave me any solutions for it. Maybe this next place will. Interesting though thanks, I will keep that in mind if they want to try me again with the mask. 

It sounds like you needed possibly different settings on your CPAP machine or maybe a different machine like Bipap. For example, the are machines that reduce pressure during exhalation to make it easier for you. Or maybe you need a lower pressure. Also, check out cpaptalk.com since the users there may have some suggestions.

Yes I was, I am a mouth breather who gets Short of breath a lot but they never gave me any solutions for it. Maybe this next place will. Interesting though thanks, I will keep that in mind if they want to try me again with the mask. 

I was a mouth breather too but now I use a halo chin strap which also helps to keep the tongue on the roof of the mouth.