Menu

Any Movies you will watch OVER AND OVER?

TranquilMind

Well, I've been home a lot lately, healing from a surgery.  I notice there are several movies I will watch whenever they are on cable, even though I've seen them recently.  Anyone else do this?  Not to mention, I'm watching a lot of Hallmark Christmas movies, because they all have family (I have only one sibling remaining) and they all live happily-ever-after!  I LOVE happily-ever-after, the way real life should be. 

Apparently, Hallmark is geared toward OLD people because every commercial is about medication, with the 47 side effects that will kill you.  Or that stuffed animal with 7 pockets!   But I digress. 

Anyway, if nothing else I want to see more is on, I will always watch:

Forrest Gump

Gone with the Wind (my Mom took me to see this at 6 years old the first time, and she lined up on opening night in 1939 to see it herself)

Mean Girls ("Don't have sex.  You'll get pregnant, and DIE" - ha ha)

The Notebook (I pointed out to my son that the young couple was gorgeous, and attracted to each other and all, but the old man taking care of his wife...THAT was love).

We were Soldiers     (My dad was on Normandy.  I'm a war movie fan- Band of Brothers, a series, not a movie, was the BEST EVER)

Titanic

Pearl Harbor

Imitation of Life (Great old movie!)

White Christmas

Holiday Inn

It's a Wonderful Life

What are your always-watch movies? 

My family loves Clue. Whenever one of us wants to watch, we all sit down. It's just a funny movie that never gets old. I can't think of any other movies though. I do watch lots of Christmas films at this time of year. It's our tradition to work through what we own every Christmas.

I'm a sucker for Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, so definitely You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle and, above all else, Joe Versus the Volcano.

I have seen Field of Dreams more times than I can count.

All three original Star Wars movies.

The third and fifth Harry Potter movies.

The second and third Back to the Future movies.

Searching for Bobby Fisher

The Mission

The American President

The Shawshank Redemption (there's a reason it was always on TV for so long...)

Sneakers

The Girl Can't Help It... I'm a sucker for that siren sound and a Julie London cameo. No, really.

Why these movies? I have no idea. But I know just what you mean. It's not the movies I think are "the best" - there's just ones that if they're on, I'll watch. Nearly every time.

I'm a sucker for Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, so definitely You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle and, above all else, Joe Versus the Volcano.

The Mission

The American President

Sneakers

The Girl Can't Help It... I'm a sucker for that siren sound and a Julie London cameo. No, really.

Why these movies? I have no idea. But I know just what you mean. It's not the movies I think are "the best" - there's just ones that if they're on, I'll watch. Nearly every time.

I agree.  Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are always good.  We just watched Captain Phillips!  My son opined that it was interesting that all Tom Hanks movies seem to avoid vulgarity and curse words left and right.  So true.  I guess he is powerful enough that he doesn't have to do that.  Meg Ryan movies are always good too. 

I am not a huge movie person.  I will rewatch tv series though.  I am usually doing something else while watching though so they are more like background noise or something to keep on to help me focus.  I have ADD and almost have to multi-task to do something that requires sitting, otherwise I will get up and start walking around. (like being on here)

I do not like stress in my tv series and I don't like to 'relate' to them so I don't want shows with teens, special needs, medical drama, or police drama.  LOL  Soooooo, I watch Sci Fi.

I rotate though

Stargate SG1

Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SGU

Battlestar Galatica

StarTrek (original series)

Voyager

DS9

Enterprise

Next Gen

Scifi series like:

Haven

Warehouse 13

Eureka

The *second* BTTF movie?? :blink:

Thankfully, since you also love The American President, I can still be friends with you... :laugh:

I know. I'm not saying it's "good." This is the mystery of the movies I can watch over and over. Some of them are great films and others are just not.

While You Were Sleeping

Pride and Prejudice (the BBC, though I watch Kiera Knightley's version if I"m short on time)

Anne of Green Gables 

13 Going on 30

Man of the House 

Win a Date with Tad Hamilton 

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days 

A couple of more on my list that I had forgotten!  While you Were Sleeping and 13 going on 30.  Every time I notice the latter is on, I pop on for the Thriller dance sequence.  ;)

The Mission

The American President

Sneakers

Exactly!  It isn't that my list is objectively "the best", but those movies represent some connection to me, I suppose. 

We watch lots of Christmas favorites every year. The night before Thanksgiving we always watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. 

Dd and I watch Mean Girls, Ferris Bueller, and The Breakfast Club at least once a year.   Dh and I have a few favorites, too. 

I predict Guardians of the Galaxy will be added to our rotation. 

We watch Christmas movies every year as part of our family tradition, but I don't care to watch them when it's not the season.

All of the Harry Potter movies

Grease

Dirty Dancing

Legally Blonde (I don't know why I love it, but I think it's because it has a bit of a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington feel about it.)

Nearly any Mel Brooks movie

The first two Indiana Jones movies

The original Star Wars trilogy

The Parent Trap (Haley Mills original)

Almost any rom-com with Hugh Grant

Most John Candy movies

Yankee Doodle Dandy

The Princess Bride

As others have said, it's not because I think these are great movies. There's just something about them that I enjoy watching them repeatedly.

I like old movies, with subtle and witty humor.

Christmas movies:

it's a wonderful life

it happened on fifth avenue

miracle on 34th st with Edmund gwynne

muppets Christmas carol

we're no angles - Humphrey bogart

comedies

bringing up baby (cary grant, Katharine Hepburn) - just so ya know - baby is a jaguar.

the lady killers -with alec guiness

kind hearts and coronets

the court jester - danny kaye

the great race (what a cast! tony Curtis, jack lemon, Natalie wood, peter falk, and many more.   oh - and the world record pie fight)

how to marry a millionaire - Marilyn Monroe, lauren bacall  ("I like older men.  look at that old man what's his name in African queen" lol. re: her rl husband  - Humphrey bogart.)

gentlemen prefer blondes - Marilyn Monroe (she had great comedic timing), and jane Russell.

the princess bride

the *original* the importance of being earnest with Michael redgrave.  (the remake was cringe worthy - even with colin firth)

the Mikado - by the English national opera with eric idle (monty python) as koko.

drama/comedy

the Philadelphia story (also with cary grant, Katharine Hepburn and jimmy stewart)

casablanca

oh - and even my young adult sons can enjoy most of these.

The Disney movies I grew up with. 

Aladdin in particular. I can probably quote it line for line without turning it on.

Beauty and The Beast

The Little Mermaid

Peter Pan

The Lion King

Despite watching it 300 times with the kids I still like Frozen.

I'm conflicted...when you say the movies you "grew up with," I feel older than dirt, because even my children are older than those movies, lol. OTOH, I love the fact that there is a third, maybe a fourth, generation of Disney movies. :-)

I still like the original "Alice," so there you go.

There are a lot of movies that have already been mentioned that I can watch over and over. A few more are:

The Incredibles (my favorite Pixar, followed by Finding Nemo)

Mary Poppins (my favorite Disney followed by Beauty and the Beast)

Back to the Future (all of them)

Star Wars

Star Trex 2,3, and 4 (I like them all but will sit and watch those over and over)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off 

Airplane

Rocky Horror Picture

Any of the Harry Potter series

Silver Linings Playbook (I've only seen it once, but I can tell that I would watch it over and over)

Greese (not Rocky. I've seen that at least 25 to 30 times and I'll be ok if I never see it again. :)  )

Second Hand Lion would be up there is we owned it.  Great movie.

Of course there are the Christmas movies, like The Christmas Story and The Muppets Christmas Carol.

I'm sure there are a few more movies, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. 

Edited to add....***How could I forget Princess Bride!    I'll also add Miss Congeniality. 

I'm conflicted...when you say the movies you "grew up with," I feel older than dirt, because even my children are older than those movies, lol. OTOH, I love the fact that there is a third, maybe a fourth, generation of Disney movies. :-)

I still like the original "Alice," so there you go.

Ha! What's the point of being in your twenties if not to make other people feel old? I also make poor decisions, don't wear makeup and run without cracking, but the last one seems to be on the way out. :(

for more recent movies:

young Victoria with Emily blunt (watch closely princess Beatrice has a cameo as a lady in waiting carrying Victoria's train at her coronation)

the king's speech  (even queen Elizabeth liked it - and it was portraying her own father)

mr and mrs smith

the devil wears prada

the original star wars - especially if you can find them on vhs before George started tinkering with them.

secondhand lions

red and red 2 - bruce willis

dh can watch dr. zhivago (omar sharif) over and over.  it is very good, but long.  it should also be considered a necessity for basic cultural education.

he can also watch Lawrence of arabia

We have a lot of movies we watch over and over.  But here are the highlights from this time of year:

Miracle on 34th Street [as soon as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is over I put it on]

Muppet Christmas Carol

Holiday Inn

White Christmas

Elf

And the all-time movie in our household is "Singing in the Rain".  I think we all have it memorized at this point, but at least once a year someone puts it on.  We have acted out entire scenes around the breakfast table - *that's* dedication! {or crazed obsession}

Stardust

The Princess Bride

Clue

Pride and Prejudice (Knightly version)

Twilight and New Moon (yes, I know they're silly. I still get a kick out of the cheesiness. Don't like the other movies in the series.)

October Sky

While you were Sleeping

Sleepless in Seattle

E.T.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Harry Potter

Back to the Future

Stardust

The Princess Bride

Clue

Twilight and New Moon (yes, I know they're silly. I still get a kick out of the cheesiness. Don't like the other movies in the series.)

October Sky

While you were Sleeping

Sleepless in Seattle

E.T.

Harry Potter

Back to the Future

:cheers2:

...especially Bill and Ted. Party on, dude!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_f8oSUCTQ3k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stardust

The Princess Bride

Clue

October Sky

While you were Sleeping

Sleepless in Seattle

E.T.

Harry Potter

Back to the Future

:cheers2:

...especially Bill and Ted. Party on, dude!

We watched The Music Man once per week for about a year (the original version with Robert Preston). We would get up and dance the shipoopi, tossing the kids around.

Marx Brothers -- Day at the Races, Night at the Opera, Animal Crackers.  We watch those on New Year's Eve.

Star Wars, especially the first 3, are watched on Christmas Day.

The Princess Bride.

All of the movies in the Twilight series

Grease

Top Gun

Dirty Dancing

Sixteen Candles

The Breakfast Club

Wayne's World

Nacho Libre

The Sound of Music

A Christmas Story

It's A Wonderful Life

Home Alone (both the first and the second)

A Christmas Carol (pretty much any version)