Menu

Cinnamon-applesauce ornaments?

skimomma

I've made them.  We have some that are 13 years old or more.  You need to make them very thick so that they are not that fragile and they take forever to dry.  But I love them.  I love taking them out every year and remembering the time we made them, remembering those little hands that cut out the shapes and decorated them.  Those little hands are now 21, 18 and 14.  The smell is heavenly.  All of our ornaments smell cinnamon-y as well. 

I've made them.  We have some that are 13 years old or more.  You need to make them very thick so that they are not that fragile and they take forever to dry.  But I love them.  I love taking them out every year and remembering the time we made them, remembering those little hands that cut out the shapes and decorated them.  Those little hands are now 21, 18 and 14.  The smell is heavenly.  All of our ornaments smell cinnamon-y as well. 

Thanks!  When you say "very thick," how thick is that?  Did your kids decorate them at all or just leave them plain?

The fragrance does fade with time, but they are awesome. I wonder if my parents still have the heart and star I made them? We made gingerbread people and bears last year, and decorated with glitter glue and white puff paint. They were awesome, and so easy. Don't forget to make the holes with a straw.

I also added some nutmeg and cloves, because I had some really old stuff that needed to be replaced.

And if you use gingerbread people cookie cutters, make sure to label them "do not eat". And if your son puts a pen1s on the gingerbread man, give it to your in-laws. That's what I did. ;)

Yes, they can hold up for years. We made them about 1/4 inch or a bit more thick, and between holidays we stored them in ziploc bags in a cookie tin so they didn't get broken. The smell lasted a really long time. Don't put them on a polished stone surface to dry! We put some on a marble lazy susan and it etched the stone permanently, so I wouldn't lay them on something like granite countertops.

If you have a dehydrator, you can dry them in that in about a day.  Agreed they need to be more than a 1/4 inch thick.  Letting your applesauce drain for a couple of days will help speed up the drying as well.

Applesauce?  We never used applesauce in ours.  Just cinnamon and elmer's glue.  They have lasted well.  My kids decorated them with glitter glue so they are bright and shiny year after year.

Edit:  Clearly I didn't read the title well said it even says applesauce there.  But still I didn't know people used applesauce in these.

There are a couple different recipes.  The one that is just applesauce and cinnamon tends to crumble and fall apart faster.  But there is one that also adds some Elmer's glue.  I used that recipe last time, and our ornaments are over 8 years old and holding up great.   I do store them in a zip-lock baggie to keep them fresh. 

We make them every year and then throw them away after Christmas.. It's a tradition. I love how they make the house smell when they bake. It signals the official beginning of the season for us!

This intrigues me...

We don't have much need for cookies but I like the process. This could fill that niche...

Interesting...

*off to google recipes*