Menu

Foods to have around the house for company

lewber

We will be hosting company throughout the Thanksgiving week. We will have 3 extra adults and 4 extra kids staying with us for 3 nights, as well as company that just pops over. Trying to brainstorm some new ideas to have prepared and on hand to be a good hostess.  :001_smile:

What do you like to have on hand for company and unexpected guests? 

With extra folks in the house, I like to have:

smoked salmon and crackers - required 24x7 here

veggies (cleaned and chopped already)

bowls of popcorn or nuts

easy breakfast items like muffins or cereal (we don't normally have these)

I also leave out all the leftover Halloween candy so it disappears and stops tempting me!

I try to think of things that I might not normally have on hand that others are used to being staples.  In our case that would be decaf coffee, sugar, sandwich bread, crackers, margarine, soda, etc....  I tend to cook in a pretty not "kid friendly" way so if kids will be here I also try to have boxed mac-n-cheese, cold cereal, and a few frozen pizzas just in case.  In fact, I usually have to keep that in mind for random kids who end up at my house.  My dd will eat anything but I cannot really expect some poor kid that sleeps over to be OK with millet, eggs, and sauerkraut for breakfast. Ha ha!

Generally, we keep a bowl full of those little mandarin oranges that are easy to peel accessible on the counter or table, also a small bowl of nuts and another of pretzels.  This lets anyone with hunger pangs have something readily available without having to ask between meals (or between snacks).

Leaving candy out is a great idea too!

My parents keep a huge open container of shelled nuts with a cracker in their living room.

For house guests, I've started keeping a snack box on the counter with a sign saying you can help yourself as long as your parent says it is ok. Our guests are dealing with minor jet lag, and I want them to feel they eat without worrying about bothering me.

I keep fruit, nuts, individual portions of trail mix, granola bars, peanut butter crackers, and wheat thins in the box. Labeled water bottles and cheese sticks are in the fridge.

What about a deli tray and a selection of buns/breads, so that they can make whatever sandwiches they might like?

I would ask them what kind of milk they prefer, because if you buy 2% and they drink skim, for example, it won't go over well. I'd also ask the parents if the kids have a favorite juice or cereal for breakfast, and I'd stock coffee or tea for guests even if I didn't drink it myself (I don't).

Costco appetizers in the freezer, and also frozen deep dish pie crusts for quick quiche or pie making.

Frozen and/or canned soups, with sherry and brandy around to dress them up.

A variety of crackers and cheeses.

Homemade spaghetti sauce in the freezer for quick meals.

Lots of cream cheese--I use it in pasta, for dips, and for desserts.

Various jellies.

Cooked, frozen meatballs, the baked kind, so I can pull them out, throw them into a pot with a simple wine sauce, and have dinner on the table in half an hour.

Veggie tray and fruit bowl are always on offer. Over the holidays we have bowls of nuts around as well, with nutcrackers to open them. If someone wants pop we'll buy it otherwise they can eat what we eat.

Bagels, breads, sliced cheeses and deli meat and sandwich veggies are the only extras we'd have around.

But we don't know picky eaters.

Wine... lol... that's ALWAYS on hand, haha.

• Nice crisp sweet apples. Tart apples for impromptu baking.

Baking basics - flour, butter, baking soda and powder, cocoa, chocolate chips, walnuts.

Savory basics - onion, garlic, celery, potatoes.

Quick fritatta basics - frozen chopped spinach, frozen chopped broccoli, feta cheese, cheddar cheese.

Feed-a-crowd basics - brown rice, canned diced tomatoes, canned corn, canned black beans, salsa, tortilla chips.

Breakfast cereal and milk.

Water bottles.

Cans of chicken and salmon, mayo. (For chicken/salmon salad.)

Frozen berries, to go with yogurt or for crumble desserts.

Italian basics - spaghetti sauce, pasta, perhaps ricotta cheese, asiago cheese for grating, ground beef if they are meat eaters.

Really good hummus, to go with homemade bread.