Menu

Pass the horrible Mom award

Moxie

My 12yodd told me yesterday that her coat doesn't fit. Horrible shrew that I am, I did not run out to buy her a new coat last night. Today it snowed and I had the gall to suggest she wear a coat that is half a size too small. It's a wonder they let me keep these children!!

Well, of it makes you feel any better, recently while in the midst of frustration at my sons lack of executive function skills I flung my arms wide and said " enjoy the basement apartment you will be living in. And it won't be this nice basement with the 100" screen and projector. It will be damp, and dank, and gross. And it will cost you most of your paycheck that you earn spraying shoes at the bowling alley.

You are horrible for sure, but I'm worse.  

DD#2 is turning 3 soon.  She wants a Hello Kitty birthday cake.  So...here's where I'm horrible...I ordered a Hello Kitty birthday cake.  I know!  It's terrible and awful!  How dare I get her the thing she wants!  I'll just wait for CPS to show up, because I know you're all calling them now.

(Actually, her big sister was with me when I ordered it, and she was so excited that she had to tell DD#2 as soon as DD#2 woke up from her nap, which is just a bad time to tell her anything until she's been up a few minutes.)

My DH gave me the Horrible Mom award because I fed my child ravioli (from the refrigerated section of costco) for lunch 3 days in a row. In my defense, today, I added cooked broccoli to it. I am apparently too lazy to care about diversifying my child's diet. 

Nope. That distinction is all mine. Actually the "horrible and ironic mom" award. For SCREAMING at my 12 year old to "stop arguing with me and just listen when I'm telling you what you need to do to be a nice person". Because, you know, everytime she acts like an asshole (most of the time), it's justifiable in some way according to her.

At this point in time it's questionable that we will both survive puberty.

:lol: I have that Bad Mom award over here. I have a DD12 too. Recently I was taken to task over how little screen time I let her have, especially given that one of her friends was recently restricted to two hours per day. And I don't even let her have enough time to watch one whole episode of Supernatural each day! Don't I know how she feels that she introduced her friends to that show, and now they're on season 7 and she's not even done with season 2?! None of this takes into account, of course, the time she spends texting, or the fact that when I tell her to get off her iPad, she somehow manages to stretch another 20 minutes out of it, or the time she spends playing Minecraft or reading the NaNoWriMo teen message boards, or the two episodes of Gilmore Girls that we watch together every night. I'm not sure, maybe I have to keep my BMA after all!

Kewb, I've said similar things to my EF-challenged kid *sigh* Thankfully, I know she has a future in sales, selling things like water to drowning people and bridges in Brooklyn. She can convince anyone of anything. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, long-term.

I earned the BMA about 10 years ago when the first snow hit and ds2 had only shorts, no long pants. Fortunately his jacket from the year prior still fit. Didn't phase him a bit to go out and play in shorts. To this day he prefers shorts to pants in all kinds of weather.

My 3 year old stayed home from preschool this morning because she has a cough, but I still let her play out in the snow. Oh, and she wore rainboots because I had not yet purchased winter boots for her. I ordered some today. Thankfully, she was satisfied with yellow boots, since the pink she originally requested was out of stock in about half the sizes, including hers. If you haven't ordered winter boots yet, do it today! They're selling like hotcakes.

My children are never allowed to do anything but school work and chores while I sit around and do nothing. Or so I'm told.  I really wish I had the guts to go on strike.

ETA: Those overworked kids are about 20 weeks behind their school work 11 weeks into the year.  :tongue_smilie:  :toetap05:  :smash:

Bad Mom Awards continue to accumulate here even though kids are all adults now.

Yesterday we had snow and dh told ds that it would be a good idea to get the snow off the car he uses yesterday while it was fresh, fluffy, and not stuck to the car. Did he listen? Nope. So today he was out in 10 degree weather scraping stuck snow off his car.  He came in complaining about how cold it is and I said it's too bad nobody mentioned doing it yesterday when it would have been a 2 minute job. 

Then he said it took him so long that he wasn't going to have time to get coffee before class.  I may or may not have blurted out, "Suck it up, buttercup."

I always get nominated for the Horrible Mom Award when I try to do something nice for my kids.

This past weekend I took them to Kalahari.  BUT. 

• I *only* gave them each $10 per night to play in the arcade (which they did not use wisely).
  • I made them do their homework while there.
  • I wouldn't buy them an overpriced piece of jewelry.
  • I parked too far from the door.
  • I made them each carry a small bag of their own stuff.
  • It was cold outside.  (This was my fault, don't bother arguing.)
  • My kid was a hair too short to go on a certain attraction (and I didn't petition for an exception).
  • I only bought them ice cream twice.
  • I didn't force Kid A to do whatever Kid B wanted and vice versa.
  • I didn't make sure Kid A and Kid B always had the exact same amount of goodies.
  • Worst of all, I did not make them wear rash guards (it is an indoor park), so it is my fault that one of them got a scraped back when thrown around by the wave pool.  (Someone other than my kids made that comment.)

You are horrible for sure, but I'm worse.  

DD#2 is turning 3 soon.  She wants a Hello Kitty birthday cake.  So...here's where I'm horrible...I ordered a Hello Kitty birthday cake.  I know!  It's terrible and awful!  How dare I get her the thing she wants!  I'll just wait for CPS to show up, because I know you're all calling them now.

(Actually, her big sister was with me when I ordered it, and she was so excited that she had to tell DD#2 as soon as DD#2 woke up from her nap, which is just a bad time to tell her anything until she's been up a few minutes.)

Nope, I'm worse.  My three year old called for me this morning, so I went in and asked if he was ready to get up.  He said no, so then I told him that it was fine if he wanted to lay in bed a while longer.

Oh, the TANTRUM!!  He DID NOT want to get up and he DID NOT want to stay in bed.  He DID NOT want me to read to him and he DID NOT want me to give him a piggy back ride to the breakfast table.  He DID NOT want me to leave and he DID NOT want me to stay.

I love days that start out on such a high note.   :lol:

Wendy

:lol: I have that Bad Mom award over here. I have a DD12 too. Recently I was taken to task over how little screen time I let her have, especially given that one of her friends was recently restricted to two hours per day. And I don't even let her have enough time to watch one whole episode of Supernatural each day! Don't I know how she feels that she introduced her friends to that show, and now they're on season 7 and she's not even done with season 2?! 

As someone who binged watched 7 seasons of Supernatural in a very short period of time, I feel her pain. It's horrible to not know and all of your friends are talking about it.  :coolgleamA:

I dragged my son to a musical theater performance this weekend, I should get an honorable mention. 

For the second year in a row, I'm ignoring their Christmas wish lists in favor of buying lovely things for them that actually exist. And they spent all that time on well-written and perfectly spelled lists!

Unless someone can find The Lego Movie 2, the corresponding video game, Avenger My Little Pony crossover toys, or a device that completely flattens and eliminates creases and folds out of sheets of paper.

Bah humbug.

As someone who binged watched 7 seasons of Supernatural in a very short period of time, I feel her pain. It's horrible to not know and all of your friends are talking about it.  :coolgleamA:

Oh, as a long-time binge-watcher, I totally get it. In fact, I was the one who introduced her to Supernatural :lol: However, in spite of being told that there was plenty of time in the day to watch an episode or two, but in order to get that time, she'd need to wake before 10:30, get dressed and brush teeth, etc. at the beginning of the day, and get schoolwork done and out of the way, guess how much Supernatural she's watched since that conversation? Apparently it's my fault that she drags schoolwork out until dinnertime and then can't watch, or that when she does get iPad time, she fritters it away on a bunch of 5-minute things instead of one 40-minute thing.

She's generally a great kid, but this is an ongoing problem with her--she can't manage to organize her time to meet her goals, even fun ones like watching a great show, to save her life. We're working on some time-mapping exercises so she can see how structuring her activities better would give her so much more time in each day.

For the second year in a row, I'm ignoring their Christmas wish lists in favor of buying lovely things for them that actually exist. And they spent all that time on well-written and perfectly spelled lists!

Unless someone can find The Lego Movie 2, the corresponding video game, Avenger My Little Pony crossover toys, or a device that completely flattens and eliminates creases and folds out of sheets of paper.

Bah humbug.

My oldest would be interested in the bolded as well.  She would also like a bounce house for her stuffed animals to play on.

wendyroo, we have that same conversation in our house!  DD wants to wake up but no she doesn't want to wake up but no she doesn't want to stay in bed, and Mommy should neither stay nor go.  It's maddening.  And I can only imagine what things are like inside her head!

Yesterday I had a headache, and I told the kids they could make egg noodles with butter for dinner and then have ice cream for dessert, but I'm pretty sure they just had the ice cream because the bag of noodles is still closed and the 9 year old screamed at me that I'm a horrible person who wants her to starve and I didn't even feed them last night. She didn't know she could just eat any of the bajillion apples and oranges sitting in the fruit bowl. She didn't realize that we have not revoked her permission to make eggs any darn time she pleases. She doesn't remember me telling her about the noodles which she had requested not two days before. Heating up her leftover pizza in the microwave was also unacceptable, and I should know that. I made her eat ice cream for dinner, and it's horrible, and I'm horrible and mean.

In the middle of this rant, I got another headache*. Dashing off mid-rant to get an aspirin also makes me a horrible person.

* Never been formally diagnosed, but I strongly suspect that I, alone in my family, suffer from cluster headaches. Everybody else gets migraines. We're now on our fifth confirmed generation of migraine sufferers. It's not fun.

I have decided to try and earn a Horrible Mom Award.  We have a free family pass to the art museum and this weekend is the only free one we have before it expires...I think I might make ds go with me.  He would have to endure looking at Matisse paintings.  There might not be a touch screen anywhere in the vicinity.  Of course, to really solidify my application for the HMA I will offer to take them to the local pizza place they've been wanting to try for ages...but they'd have to walk 5 blocks from the museum, and it's been cold.   Dd is dying to go.  Dh is on the fence. 

You all are cracking me up! 

I've decided that 15 is THE WORST age for both boys and girls.

I've been the long time champion holder of that award, unfortunately.  But things are better lately because, well...we are getting past the hump. 

Oh, and one of my over-six-feet-tall offspring thinks I starve them out when I don't fix a meal.  Like they can't find the kitchen.  I'm recovering from surgery.  Fix ME a meal!   Awful Mom here. 

I grabbed out at my five year old to stop her dashing out at a van yesterday (she's usually not a problem near the road but she was excited to see her friend and the van was coming FAST!) and managed to grab the back of her head instead of her shoulder.   To make it worse she has wonderful, glorious, CRAZY curls that my ring got caught in and she then proceeded to yelp and squall while I tried to untangle her, then she pulled away so hard as she came loose that her head smacked into the side of the car.  Yes, I'm the mother you saw grab her child by the hair then slam her into the car :blushing: To make matters worse I tried to apologise / hug her and she was having none of it, screaming at me and pushing me away.  Worst mother ever.

Well, I simultaneously got the worst and best mom award today, depending on how you look at it. Our homeschool group had a field trip today at the National Weather Service in Hanford (45 minute drive). Superior Dairy is in Hanford. Superior Dairy is a destination in and of itself. A small bowl of icecream is about a pint. We had icecream for lunch. And that was all. Just icecream. But boy was it good.

I've decided that 15 is THE WORST age for both boys and girls.

I've been the long time champion holder of that award, unfortunately.  But things are better lately because, well...we are getting past the hump. 

For me, 16 year old ds is definitely worse than 15.  I will let you know about my 14 year old dd next year.

Nope. That distinction is all mine. Actually the "horrible and ironic mom" award. For SCREAMING at my 12 year old to "stop arguing with me and just listen when I'm telling you what you need to do to be a nice person". Because, you know, everytime she acts like an asshole (most of the time), it's justifiable in some way according to her.

At this point in time it's questionable that we will both survive puberty.

Hee hee! My 13-year-old recently asked to be allowed to do all of her own laundry so I would not have cause to "boss her about her room". What sparked this? I complained about her insistence on surrounding her hamper with dirty laundry, stuffed animals, and other items, including the lid to the hamper placed right where I will stumble over it. Every. Time. Yes, the "discussion" (lecture) did last 20 minutes, but I do feel I made a valid point.

I'm just waiting now for her to start asking me where particular items of clothing are. And if she doesn't? If she actually stays on top of her own laundry? I will be amazed, and revel in the slight lightening of my load! And I'll tell her "good job", but only when we aren't wrangling over something else. I save the praise for quieter moments, and opportunities to brag to other family. "See? Home schooling hasn't corrupted my kids yet."

For me, 16 year old ds is definitely worse than 15. I will let you know about my 14 year old dd next year.

Yeah, from what I've seen there just is no predicting when "the worst" will occur, or how long it will last. I'm convinced that one "darling" niece of mine has been a terror for years and will be worse all through her teenage years, once they start. Meanwhile, the niece everyone thinks is the worst handful just isn't as bad, IMO. She's a handful, but she has a kinder heart. "Smart but scattered" describes her to a T, but the "darling" is deliberately mean and manipulative all to often for my taste and seems to be getting even more cunning as she grows older. And she hasn't hit puberty yet.

Yeah, from what I've seen there just is no predicting when "the worst" will occur, or how long it will last. I'm convinced that one "darling" niece of mine has been a terror for years and will be worse all through her teenage years, once they start. Meanwhile, the niece everyone thinks is the worst handful just isn't as bad, IMO. She's a handful, but she has a kinder heart. "Smart but scattered" describes her to a T, but the "darling" is deliberately mean and manipulative all to often for my taste and seems to be getting even more cunning as she grows older. And she hasn't hit puberty yet.

I have a niece like your second example.  However, according to the family, the sun shines out her behind.

Bah humbug.

Hmm, actually I was surprised to find there's actually many people out there who buy up My Little Ponies and alter them, usually to make them into comic book characters, but sometimes just to have some devilish fun with a so-sweet toy. Perhaps you could actually Google Avenger My Little Pony and see if anyone has offered one for sale or posted instructions?

I had my 6 yo pack his own bag this weekend for an overnight stay at grandmas.

5 shirts. 1 pair of shorts (It was 25 degrees outside). 6 pair underwear. No socks.

Oops! And eldest DD bemoaned the fact I insisted on checking her packing, until I pointed out that her under things would show through her choice of garments and she didn't pack pajamas.

This is the same 13-year-old who insisted on packing her own toiletries on a recent trip and then claimed my toothbrush the first night out because she thought it was hers (it didn't look anything like hers and she forgot she packed her own toothbrush separately).

Well, I simultaneously got the worst and best mom award today, depending on how you look at it. Our homeschool group had a field trip today at the National Weather Service in Hanford (45 minute drive). Superior Dairy is in Hanford. Superior Dairy is a destination in and of itself. A small bowl of icecream is about a pint. We had icecream for lunch. And that was all. Just icecream. But boy was it good.

On rare occasions my parents let us eat ice cream for dinner at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. You get a good parent award for that (unless you do that every week).

I grabbed out at my five year old to stop her dashing out at a van yesterday (she's usually not a problem near the road but she was excited to see her friend and the van was coming FAST!) and managed to grab the back of her head instead of her shoulder. To make it worse she has wonderful, glorious, CRAZY curls that my ring got caught in and she then proceeded to yelp and squall while I tried to untangle her, then she pulled away so hard as she came loose that her head smacked into the side of the car. Yes, I'm the mother you saw grab her child by the hair then slam her into the car :blushing: To make matters worse I tried to apologise / hug her and she was having none of it, screaming at me and pushing me away. Worst mother ever.

You poor thing! I am so glad that my kids are past the age of embarrassing bumps and overly simplified candor when asked by others about said bumps. "Mommy did it" just a sounds bad when explaining the bump on the head after they ran into ME and bounced into the wall.

Though I still reserve the right to hold a tiny grudge over being yelled at (years ago) by my MIL when I yelled an exasperated warning to my niece after she danced into the kitchen with slippery, breakable dirty dishes and careened into me as I was handling wet, sharp knives. I was given the horrible auntie award for that.

I have decided to try and earn a Horrible Mom Award. We have a free family pass to the art museum and this weekend is the only free one we have before it expires...I think I might make ds go with me. He would have to endure looking at Matisse paintings. There might not be a touch screen anywhere in the vicinity. Of course, to really solidify my application for the HMA I will offer to take them to the local pizza place they've been wanting to try for ages...but they'd have to walk 5 blocks from the museum, and it's been cold. Dd is dying to go. Dh is on the fence.

You all are cracking me up!

Oooooo, do it!

With my kids, 3 has been the hardest age. Four is just two months away now for Kittygirl, and I'm hoping for some positive change. If my earlier actions didn't clinch the horrible mom award, I definitely did it this afternoon when she learned that I did not buy her new yellow snowpants to match the new yellow boots that I ordered today. She has a perfectly nice pair of pink snowpants in her size that was passed down to her from a cousin. Well, she informed me that she does not like the pink snowpants and will never wear them again. I told her that in that case her legs will get cold and wet next time she plays in the snow.

Nope, I'm worse.  My three year old called for me this morning, so I went in and asked if he was ready to get up.  He said no, so then I told him that it was fine if he wanted to lay in bed a while longer.

Oh, the TANTRUM!!  He DID NOT want to get up and he DID NOT want to stay in bed.  He DID NOT want me to read to him and he DID NOT want me to give him a piggy back ride to the breakfast table.  He DID NOT want me to leave and he DID NOT want me to stay.

I love days that start out on such a high note.   :lol:

Wendy

This sounds like a Dr. Seuss book...you should expand it. :lol:

Bad Mom Awards continue to accumulate here even though kids are all adults now.

Yesterday we had snow and dh told ds that it would be a good idea to get the snow off the car he uses yesterday while it was fresh, fluffy, and not stuck to the car. Did he listen? Nope. So today he was out in 10 degree weather scraping stuck snow off his car.  He came in complaining about how cold it is and I said it's too bad nobody mentioned doing it yesterday when it would have been a 2 minute job. 

Then he said it took him so long that he wasn't going to have time to get coffee before class.  I may or may not have blurted out, "Suck it up, buttercup."

I'm copying, pasting, enlarging, and I may or may not post this on ds's bathroom mirror just to prove we are NOT the only ones.

I grabbed out at my five year old to stop her dashing out at a van yesterday (she's usually not a problem near the road but she was excited to see her friend and the van was coming FAST!) and managed to grab the back of her head instead of her shoulder. To make it worse she has wonderful, glorious, CRAZY curls that my ring got caught in and she then proceeded to yelp and squall while I tried to untangle her, then she pulled away so hard as she came loose that her head smacked into the side of the car. Yes, I'm the mother you saw grab her child by the hair then slam her into the car :blushing: To make matters worse I tried to apologise / hug her and she was having none of it, screaming at me and pushing me away. Worst mother ever.

Oh, this sucks! I know exactly what you mean as an almost identical thing happened with my almost five-year-old. She started to run across the parking lot at gymnastics just as an SUV with an on-the-phone driver came speeding around the corner. I went to grab her arm, but the foot rest of my wheelchair clipped her heels and so I essentially shoved her down onto the asphalt in the direction of oncoming traffic😧

She gets up screaming, skinned palms and chin, loudly and tearfully wailing "why did you shove me mommy?!" As all the moms are walking their kiddos into the gym.

To make matters worse, the next day she had preschool and told her teachers and the other kids that her mother shoved her in front of a car when asked about her chin-bandaid.

Yep, I'm a contender👸

Bah humbug.

This is the funniest thing I've read all day! Avenger My Little Pony crossover toy -- brilliant idea!

DD is having some friends over on Friday night.  Invited 5 probably 3 will come.  Dad is already grilling salmon for her and her friends (DDs favorite meal, but still, expensive for a sleepover group). Today she wanted to pick up an ice cream cake.  Again, expensive!  I am the horrible mom because I got her the SMALL cake rather than the LARGE cake and OH MY GOD EACH OF THEM MIGHT ONLY GET ONE PIECE.   :glare:   Somebody kill me now.

Seriously, she does have a sense of compassion and gratitude...I just don't know where it goes sometimes...

13 yo mentioned his shoes were tight. They were only 2 1/2 mo old so I put him off. I finally had a coupon so took him. Yep, two and a half sizes too small. Oops. 

Yeah, I did that once too.  Those growth spurts can catch you off guard.  And besides, they complain so much anyway, how do you know when to take them seriously??  So I think it is actually still the kid's fault.

Well, today I did a fair amount of yelling about an hour ago.  It might have included some screaming.  Cuss words may or may not have been involved.

Try as I may, I cannot seem to understand what is so hard about "come here now."  A good mother would understand that this is not a reasonable request.  Way too complicated.

Ha!  I have started to just reply with it, neutrally "because I am the meanest mom in the world" or "I am the Baddest Person Ever"  I have been having fun coming up with different ways to express it  :lol:

It isn't even my 12 yo.  It is my 7 yo!  "YOU aaaalllllwaaaays so no to meeee" Me: "well ask me something I can say yes to then" sheesh.