Menu

Poll: Eggnog drinking temperature

idnib

What temperature for eggnog?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What temperature should eggnog be for drinking?

• Hot/warm
    • Room temperature
    • Cool/cold
    • Other

Hot with coffee, cold with alcohol. I make my own for the holiday, but I will buy Starbucks eggnog lattes. :)

ETA: for the first time ever, it occurred to me that I could actually have eggnog, coffee, and alcohol in the same drink, like coffee and Baileys. I think that would still have to be hot. And come to think of it, I've had it warmed with alcohol, too.

So I guess I'm coming down on the side of hot.

I always thought it was suppose to be served warm with alchohol because it's cold outside...like hot cocoa or warm cider.

ETA: huh, well Ms. Martha Stewart (my homemaking idol) serves it well cooled, so I guess that's the way it's done.  Had no idea!

I drink eggnog with coffee. Don't like plain eggnog.

Something like Starbucks eggnog latte

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/espresso/eggnog-latte

Or Peet's eggnog latte

http://m.peets.com/stores/menus/coffee-espresso-beverages/eggnog-latte.html

Yep. It's eggnog latte season, so I'll have to make a trip to Starbucks soon to get one. I did read that Starbucks is only doing its eggnog latte in the northwest this year because the rest of the US has apparently not noticed its yumminess.

I can't stand eggnog if it's not in a latte. It's too viscous if it's not cut with milk and coffee.

Eggnog reminds me of my Mom.  :001_smile: 

Homemade eggnog is served warm or at room temperature.  Do some of you refrigerate it before you serve it or are you talking about those cartons of disgusting yuck from the grocery? (Not that any of us have strong opinions on the subject!)

• 2 weeks later...

Between warm and hot. Like hot shower kind of temperature. It's meant to warm you up on cold winter nights, isn't it? Seriously, I've never heard of it being drunk chilled before. Look what you learn on TWTMF! ;)

Although I am hardly an expert, as it's not something we consume more than a couple of times a year. 

And I have never seen any commercial versions, so only had it home made.

ETA - I think maybe egg nog is actually something different here. The way I make it, it's basically heated milk, with an egg, a dash of brandy and a little sugar whipped in and spices on top. The stuff you have sounds more like alcoholic custard?

Between warm and hot. Like hot shower kind of temperature. It's meant to warm you up on cold winter nights, isn't it? Seriously, I've never heard of it being drunk chilled before. Look what you learn on TWTMF! ;)

Although I am hardly an expert, as it's not something we consume more than a couple of times a year.

And I have never seen any commercial versions, so only had it home made.

ETA - I think maybe egg nog is actually something different here. The way I make it, it's basically heated milk, with an egg, a dash of brandy and a little sugar whipped in and spices on top. The stuff you have sounds more like alcoholic custard?

The drink you describe is more like what I would call a brandy milk punch, and that ice had warm. Egg nog is a thick beverage, so not a custard, more the consistency of heavy cream.