Menu

Going away gifts..

moonlight

We have some really close friends that are moving. We would like to give the family (the kids) something to remember us by. I've bought a couple of board games for them that they can use on the flight (the kids have really bonded over games.) I'd like to give them something homemade. It has to be small enough to fit in their suitcases along with the other zillions of things they have to pack. Something Waldorf/nature friendly would be great.

Ideas?

I might just ask for their address and wait til they've moved. The board games are already going to take up luggage space. Sorry to be that person. :o

I will join you so you're not that person alone.  Board games seem hard to play with on a plane, and bulky for packing.  (Maybe I'm picturing the wrong type of game.)

What kind of skills do you have for making something?   How old are the kids?  

This is not a homemade item but a card game (such as Professor Noggin) might be easier to play on a plane, and it's small.  There are various subjects including Rain Forest and other nature-related things.

Otherwise, a sketchbook and colored pencils?   You could make a fabric case to hold it - if sewing is something you can do.

Maybe you could ship the board games so they arrive the day (or day after) they move into their new house?

Honestly, when we moved x-country people were giving us stuff as we left and it was a hassle, even though we drove and have a large vehicle.   We appreciated the sentiment behind it! 

I bought thee cute LITTLE games (the travel version of hive and also the game flux.) I guess neither of them are really board games. one is card game and the other is a boardless board game? anyways, shipping to them is not possible since we live out of the country and it would be very cost prohibitive.

I don't cross stich or sew. they are muslim so Christmas gifts are out! :001_smile:

plus, I don't really want to give them a gift gift. I've done that already and it has already gone in the stuff they have shipped. the games are going to be given to the kids, but just wanted to give them a little homemade item. kwim? I've searched pinterest, but nothing has caught my fancy yet...the only thing I've thought about so far is a lantern made of a small jar covered with white tissue paper with the kids drawings of their family and our family..

Well, there is always cookies!  (Those would doubtless be enjoyed but they're not long lasting.)  If you decide on one more game, I'd suggest SET which the three older children could play.  They could lay out the set of twelve (or occasionally 15) cards on two trays.

Would the older children appreciate journals?  You could buy plain ones, decorate the covers, and add a pen.

The wooden peg dolls sound delightful and small.

Regards,

Kareni

I made my son's friend a throw pillow (14x14) using a tshirt from the soccer club that they both played for. They weren't flying, though and it went in the car with them.

Playing off of this, how about a pillow cover for a throw pillow with something meaningful appliquéd on it? Without the pillow form, it would be flat and take next to no space in luggage. Your state with a star (or a heart? where their town was? Or a tshirt with a hometown sports team they followed? Or their favorite restaurant or the zoo?

Oh sorry--just saw that you do not sew.

For Christmas I made friends of our a jigsaw puzzle with a collage of pictures of all the kids and our vacations together.  It was 10x13 and 250-300 pieces.  Staples does them for $15, but they are on sale for $11.99.  Not something you can do on the plane, but something to remember you by later on. 

Okay, just read you are out of the country, so you may not be able to find a Staples.  But they are becoming more popular, so you may be able to find it online where you are.