Menu

When will PSAT scores come out?

The hack was not accurate for me. Anyone else have that problem?

I was way off on one math score. I think I made a calculation error and to compound it read the Sat column not the Wednesday column. When I recalculated it I got the same score as the paper report.

My kids think it's funny that I messed up the math.

I was way off on one math score. I think I made a calculation error and to compound it read the Sat column not the Wednesday column. When I recalculated it I got the same score as the paper report.

My kids think it's funny that I messed up the math.

Your kids are right.  That made my day.

My freshman daughter (Atlanta area) brought hers home yesterday.  Still nothing official from my HS junior daughter, but I am quite comfortable and happy with the hack score, which is the only reason I am not yelling at people right now.

Your kids are right.  That made my day.

My freshman daughter (Atlanta area) brought hers home yesterday.  Still nothing official from my HS junior daughter, but I am quite comfortable and happy with the hack score, which is the only reason I am not yelling at people right now.

FWIW, the hack did give correspond to how many questions they got wrong and which questions they got wrong.  The error was in my converting the raw score to the correct PSAT score. 

Anyone else surprised at the scores? DS is my dyslexic (professionally diagnosed) and his reading scores were higher than his math, lol.

As a sophomore he scored in top ten percent there, which leads me to believe we might want to take test prep a bit more seriously since we took one practice test and called it good.

Ok, got his scores. Someone at the school he took it at actually answered the phone for once!

He's a freshman, and has not taken Geometry yet. He scored a 168. Breakdown was Reading 65, Math 49, writing 54. How much can I expect that math score to come up once he has Geometry? Any guesses? we also need to buckle down on the "writing" section. He hates that kind of test...where you have to find the error. But practice over the next few years will help. 

Anyone else surprised at the scores? DS is my dyslexic (professionally diagnosed) and his reading scores were higher than his math, lol. As a sophomore he scored in top ten percent there, which leads me to believe we might want to take test prep a bit more seriously since we took one practice test and called it good.

I was a little suprised.  My math/science geek kid scored pretty equally- within a point or two- across the board.  I thought he would do better in math and not as well in CR. 

He's a freshman, and has not taken Geometry yet. He scored a 168. Breakdown was Reading 65, Math 49, writing 54. How much can I expect that math score to come up once he has Geometry? Any guesses? we also need to buckle down on the "writing" section. He hates that kind of test...where you have to find the error. But practice over the next few years will help.

The new redesigned PSAT will roll out next fall.  It appears that there will be less geometry, with more of a focus on algebra and real world problems.  It doesn't look like there is going to be any more of the "find the error" questions (but I could be wrong).  There are sample SAT questions for the new test posted on the college board.  At least your son is a freshman and will have one year to practice with the revised test.  A full practice SAT will come out this spring which should be good prep for the new PSAT.

Ok, got his scores. Someone at the school he took it at actually answered the phone for once!

Due to the test changing, I agree with the idea of freshmen waiting to see what the new test will be like before buckling down and prepping for it.

In the meantime, keep reviewing Alg while also adding Geometry.  Keeping Alg skills current isn't just to prep for the test.  Those skills are super useful for all of his future math classes and many science classes.

Due to the test changing, I agree with the idea of freshmen waiting to see what the new test will be like before buckling down and prepping for it.

In the meantime, keep reviewing Alg while also adding Geometry.  Keeping Alg skills current isn't just to prep for the test.  Those skills are super useful for all of his future math classes and many science classes.

Good point, about waiting to see what they come up with.

And he's doing Algebra II right now, and will do Geometry next year, but will definitely keep reviewing algebra over the years.

We still haven't received our scores either.  I called the college board the end of last week and they said all of the information on ds's test form was correct and they were still sending out scores.  I also called the school where ds took the test (earlier last week), just in case his scores were sent there.  The vice principal told me they still have not received their scores.  He then called the college board, and they told him not to expect their scores until after the holidays!  So if you still haven't received your child's scores I wouldn't worry too much.

Ds took the PSAT his freshman and sophomore year, and we always got his scores the very beginning of December.  We have friends that live around the corner that homeschool, and they got their scores the beginning of the month as well.  The wait is driving me crazy!!!

The new redesigned PSAT will roll out next fall.  It appears that there will be less geometry, with more of a focus on algebra and real world problems.  It doesn't look like there is going to be any more of the "find the error" questions (but I could be wrong).  There are sample SAT questions for the new test posted on the college board.  At least your son is a freshman and will have one year to practice with the revised test.  A full practice SAT will come out this spring which should be good prep for the new PSAT.

Thanks, this is super helpful. Maybe I should put this in a different thread, but my sophmore had unexpectedly (to me) weak scores in the writing section. I know now that it is because of the find the error type questions. I think of him as a strong writer but spotting mechanical errors is a total weakness.

When will we know what types of questions will be on next year's PSAT? My kids see test prep as fairly meaningless learning (and it is hard to argue with that) so I'd like to use my chips on things that matter.

Working on math harder is good for all purposes, so I have no problem insisting on that.

224...should be above cutoff in our state. Interesting, she got a much higher SAT score, testing just the week before.

Dd also took the SAT then, and her SAT scores were higher, too. 213 for the PSAT, which is a few points higher than our state's cutoff has been, so still safe.  I think for her the difference is probably testing in the little local school with friends, versus the academic (more professional) high school that offers the SAT. She does better with the structure and stress. :D

Her issue is CR. She is very literal, math oriented (so her writing is fine, just not reading and vocab,) and she doesn't enjoy the CR section, which I think makes a difference. :(

We finally got the actual score report from the school yesterday, and it agreed 100% with the hack. The score is very comfortably above the NM cutoff, which is critical, as my daughter is very interested in a couple of schools that offer automatic full rides to NM semifinalists. She already has a confirming SAT score from freshman year, so I am not worried about her ability to get another one. Feeling very relieved here!

We finally got the actual score report from the school yesterday, and it agreed 100% with the hack. The score is very comfortably above the NM cutoff, which is critical, as my daughter is very interested in a couple of schools that offer automatic full rides to NM semifinalists. She already has a confirming SAT score from freshman year, so I am not worried about her ability to get another one. Feeling very relieved here!

A big congratulations to your daughter!!!  I am so hoping we get our scores soon as well.

When will we know what types of questions will be on next year's PSAT? My kids see test prep as fairly meaningless learning (and it is hard to argue with that) so I'd like to use my chips on things that matter.

Working on math harder is good for all purposes, so I have no problem insisting on that.

Emily, I believe a full practice test will be coming out this spring. I would keep checking the college borad website periodically. My son used the ACT/SAT review from Chalkdust, and I think it was helpful.  I wouldn't worry too much about actual test prep until this summer, especially since there are no prep books/sample tests to work through.  Hopefully their will be more materials available this summer. 

Thanks, this is super helpful. Maybe I should put this in a different thread, but my sophmore had unexpectedly (to me) weak scores in the writing section. I know now that it is because of the find the error type questions. I think of him as a strong writer but spotting mechanical errors is a total weakness.

If you are interested in a short "guide" book that my guys found useful with writing, look at the The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.  Whether they keep the writing portion on the test or not, knowing how to write well (and find mistakes) is always useful.  This little book is a quick read or reference.  Many things in it were on these sorts of tests, but again, it's also just plain good stuff to know.  Reading through the book took the writing portion from being my youngest's weakest score to his strongest.  (He was never a NMF contender, but even so...) 

Love that book! Great reminder.

He's actually a strong writer - the teachers he has had all comment on the strength of his fiction and non-fiction writing. But he's always had a complete blind spot for spelling and punctuation. It drives his dad and me crazy. Strunk and White is a great idea.

If you are interested in a short "guide" book that my guys found useful with writing, look at the The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.  Whether they keep the writing portion on the test or not, knowing how to write well (and find mistakes) is always useful.  This little book is a quick read or reference.  Many things in it were on these sorts of tests, but again, it's also just plain good stuff to know.  Reading through the book took the writing portion from being my youngest's weakest score to his strongest.  (He was never a NMF contender, but even so...) 

• 3 weeks later...

We got the e-mail with the acess code on Sunday, and paper scores FINALLY came yesterday.  We had used the "hack" earlier to access ds scores, and the paper scores confirmed he got a 225.  That should be high enough for National Merit Semifinalist in Ohio.