Menu

When will PSAT scores come out?

:)

Just wondering when we should expect them.

Hot Lava Mama

Here is how the scenario has played out in our house. 

In early December, the College Board sends an email to child stating that his PSAT results are available online.  Child ignores email.  Mom sees email and logs onto child's account.  The screen says that results are available, but you must enter an Access Code in order to actually read the results.  :banghead:

Mom then calls the College Board asking for the Access Code.  Year one of child taking the PSAT, Mom gets lucky and the College Board rep gives the access code over the phone, and Mom is able to view the scores online.  In later years, when Mom tries the same approach, the College Board rep says that he doesn't have access to the Access Code and Mom must wait for the Access Code to arrive in the mail with the PSAT score.  Mom then rants to the College Board rep that this is such a stupid process because once a hard copy arrives in the mail with the score there is no need for an Access Code at that point.  Rep is silent while Mom rants.

Unable to get Access Code from the College Board rep., Mom then stalks the mailman daily and lurks on College Confidential to see what areas of the country have already received PSAT scores in hopes of predicting when mailman will deliver the hard copy to her mailbox. 

The year the score counted for oldest, mailman finally brings PSAT envelope.  However, only one envelope is in mailbox - that of younger son.  Older son, the junior, is missing his score report.  Worried that his report was somehow lost, Mom calls College Board.  College Board looks up son's information and informs Mom that son mis-bubbled his zip code.  College Board says that they will send out another score report.  Mom then has to stalk the mailman for another week, while worrying what else son misbubbled. 

Each year we have received the results in the mail by mid-December.

Here is how the scenario has played out in our house.

In early December, the College Board sends an email to child stating that his PSAT results are available online. Child ignores email. Mom sees email and logs onto child's account. The screen says that results are available, but you must enter an Access Code in order to actually read the results. :banghead:

Mom then calls the College Board asking for the Access Code. Year one of child taking the PSAT, Mom gets lucky and the College Board rep gives the access code over the phone, and Mom is able to view the scores online. In later years, when Mom tries the same approach, the College Board rep says that he doesn't have access to the Access Code and Mom must wait for the Access Code to arrive in the mail with the PSAT score. Mom then rants to the College Board rep that this is such a stupid process because once a hard copy arrives in the mail with the score there is no need for an Access Code at that point. Rep is silent while Mom rants.

Unable to get Access Code from the College Board rep., Mom then stalks the mailman daily and lurks on College Confidential to see what areas of the country have already received PSAT scores in hopes of predicting when mailman will deliver the hard copy to her mailbox.

The year the score counted for oldest, mailman finally brings PSAT envelope. However, only one envelope is in mailbox - that of younger son. Older son, the junior, is missing his score report. Worried that his report was somehow lost, Mom calls College Board. College Board looks up son's information and informs Mom that son mis-bubbled his zip code. College Board says that they will send out another score report. Mom then has to stalk the mailman for another week, while worrying what else son misbubbled.

Each year we have received the results in the mail by mid-December.

Argh. I can so see this happening at our house.

Well, since we are prepping for another move, I assume that it will be delivered about a day after we move out of our house, to languish in a post office until we get a new address sometime weeks later.

ETA: Not that it really matters.  CA has very high cut off score for National Merit (222 last year) and I don't really see ds hitting it.  Ironically the state we're moving to is much lower (214), but he'll be held to the higher score because that's where he lived when he took the exam.  I did the math on the cut off the week he took the test.  On one hand it took some of the pressure off.  On the other hand, I wish I'd realized it months earlier, so that I wouldn't have been putting pressure on him to live up to those expectations. 

He's a good tester and might surprise me.  But I'm not holding my breath.  It's just frustrating that living in a state for less than 10 months will make such a difference for this.  Especially for a student who has not been part of the state public education structure.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read on College Confidential that kids are receiving scores from their schools now :)

Oh this is the WORST!  Because my daughter is technically enrolled in our public HS, we have to wait on those dufuses to release scores to the students.  Which will take even longer for us because my daughter is not on campus.  She doesn't even have a homeroom.  Her GC has promised to email me when she gets them, but who is going to know to give them to the GC?  No one, that's who.  Ugh!!!

I teach at a public school. My school will receive the box of scores from College Board tomorrow. 

This makes it worse for me--knowing that they're going to be â€‹in my county.  My only hope is that the non-magnet GC who is now my daughter's official GC because she withdrew from the magnet program actually goes and searches for my daughter's score instead of waiting for it to get routed through fifty other offices in the school.  Maybe I should drop by with doughnuts tomorrow. . ..  Weirdly, my daughter is not the least bit nervous.  She is 100% focused on her Tech finals next week.  She also is pretty darned confident of a high score and thinks, in the dark recesses of her soul, that I am a bad mother for being anxious.  

Stupid PSAT.

This makes it worse for me--knowing that they're going to be â€‹in my county.  My only hope is that the non-magnet GC who is now my daughter's official GC because she withdrew from the magnet program actually goes and searches for my daughter's score instead of waiting for it to get routed through fifty other offices in the school.  Maybe I should drop by with doughnuts tomorrow. . ..  Weirdly, my daughter is not the least bit nervous.  She is 100% focused on her Tech finals next week.  She also is pretty darned confident of a high score and thinks, in the dark recesses of her soul, that I am a bad mother for being anxious.  

Stupid PSAT.

I have found donuts help. They really do. 

I haven't been stalking the mailman but I have been hunting around online trying to figure out when I should stalk the mailman.  DS is a junior so this year matters but since I hadn't really paid attention to this stuff before we never did a practice run on the PSAT.  So I'm completely in the dark as to how he will do. 

One silver lining to realizing just how high the historical cut off scores for CA have been is that it relieved a lot of stress over the idea that my oldest might make the cut off.  If he hit the 222-224 needed, I'd be shocked.

Fortunately, he took the SAT in November and those scores were quite nice.  Which is good, because with packers coming in two weeks, I don't really need more tension in my life.

Ugh. Son was in public school when he took the test. We just pulled him out. He has been withdrawn from the public school, but isn't officially enrolled in homeschooling yet. I had to wait for the unenrolling to clear. So...where on earth will his scores go???

i just realized I can ask my sister later today. She's a VP at a local highschool. I guess I'll just ask what they do when they get scores for students that no longer attend there. There must be some kind of plan. 

Homeschooled dd's scores came in the mail this weekend; PS'd dd got hers today at school.  Both got over 200, but not enough for scholarship (we're one of the highest scoring states, so it was well-nigh impossible anyway).

Homeschooled dd's score sheet correctly says she's graduating in 2016, but then at the top says she's a Sophomore!  WTH??!  She said she's sure she filled in the Junior bubble, and obviously she's a Junior if she's graduating in 2016!  :huh:

Since she hasn't made any scholarship-type cutoff, does it even matter?  Who would I tell if I needed this fixed?

Homeschooled dd's scores came in the mail this weekend; PS'd dd got hers today at school.  Both got over 200, but not enough for scholarship (we're one of the highest scoring states, so it was well-nigh impossible anyway).

Homeschooled dd's score sheet correctly says she's graduating in 2016, but then at the top says she's a Sophomore!  WTH??!  She said she's sure she filled in the Junior bubble, and obviously she's a Junior if she's graduating in 2016!  :huh:

Since she hasn't made any scholarship-type cutoff, does it even matter?  Who would I tell if I needed this fixed?

I'd contact the College Board folks. With over 200, she may qualify for being listed as Commended, which may help with applications for other scholarship opportunities.

I'd contact the College Board folks. With over 200, she may qualify for being listed as Commended, which may help with applications for other scholarship opportunities.

Hmm... in my state last year the scholarship cut-off was 223.  What's the spread to Commended, anyone know?  How do I contact the folks at College Board?  Is there just a form on the website, or a number to call?

(And I guess this is less frustrating than if we were in one of the states where they would have missed the cut-off by 1-2 points!)

Hmm... in my state last year the scholarship cut-off was 223.  What's the spread to Commended, anyone know?  How do I contact the folks at College Board?  Is there just a form on the website, or a number to call?

(And I guess this is less frustrating than if we were in one of the states where they would have missed the cut-off by 1-2 points!)

From what I'm seeing online, it was 201 last year, but has varied from 200-203 and is a national cutoff, not by state. http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html  I'm having trouble finding this year's list.

From what I'm seeing online, it was 201 last year, but has varied from 200-203 and is a national cutoff, not by state. http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html  I'm having trouble finding this year's list.

Well, they got 202 and 203, so that is hopeful!  (By the hack they had each figured a couple of points more - they must have missed a couple of wrong answers!).

One of my dds just said that it's 96th percentile and up?  Their scores are 97th percentile - that's on the score sheet - so they'd make it?   Yay for national rather than state cut-offs!

Does this mean I have to harass the College Board to fix the Sophomore thing?  (How did that even happen??!)

Well, they got 202 and 203, so that is hopeful!  (By the hack they had each figured a couple of points more - they must have missed a couple of wrong answers!).

One of my dds just said that it's 96th percentile and up?  Their scores are 97th percentile - that's on the score sheet - so they'd make it?   Yay for national rather than state cut-offs!

Does this mean I have to harass the College Board to fix the Sophomore thing?  (How did that even happen??!)

P. 7 of the guide says it's generally in the 96th percentile http://www.nationalmerit.org/student_guide.pdf

p, 3 of the same document has contact information

Scores came in the mail in Ohio today. The hack was reliable as the scores were consistent.

I am in Ohio, too, but still no scores.  Maybe tomorrow.  But I am glad the hack is reliable!  I just really want to confirm his scores before I get too excited :D .

Ours came today (VA) and matched the hacked score.

ETA: Our two boys' scores were postmarked on 12/4/2014. Interestingly, the 11th grader's score was postmarked with a different zip code than the 8th grader's.

Both score sheets had mistakes. The 11th grader's, while indicating that he met the NMSQT requirements, had the space for his grade blank (I know this child; I'm sure he bubbled it). The 8th grader had a mistake in our address, probably from light bubbling. I may call the CB to discuss the 11th grader's sheet.

What do you mean by the hack??  Ours came today.  

Someone on CC figured out how to get your score without the access code (that is printed on the paper scores so kind of useless at that point).  I posted it in the "you may be able to get your PSAT scores online thread"  So for those who were tired of waiting for paper scored tried the hack method of calculating their score and were confirming that it matched their paper scores they have now received.

We're still waiting here in CA!

I am glad it's not just me.  I did just call the college board and they verified that they had the correct address for us.  He said they were still sending out scores.  It figures that the year it counts ds would get his late. :tongue_smilie: