Menu

WHY, Discovery Channel?

Mrs Mungo

Discovery (and Animal Planet) have a really, really bad reputation for making animals look bad and ascribing human motives to animals, even before the "mockumentaries" started. In many ways, the best thing about this is that it's taken the grumbling that herpetologists and ichthyologists (and I'm sure others, but the herp folks and, especially, the shark folks have really been up in arms for awhile) and made it MUCH more visible to everyone.

And, on a separate note, my DD's kind of thrilled with seeing so many people she's met/knows quoted in mainstream media in articles about the upcoming "Eaten Alive"-(Business Insider also has an article about it on their website)-Lisa Powers is one of my DD's favorite people (she works out of the Nashville area,and is very active in the TN Herpetological Society).

I have no problem with speculative documentaries as long as it is clear that is what they are.  These are not making that clear and it makes me VERY unhappy.  They are hoodwinking people for a buck and I find it disgusting  But not unexpected.  Credibility, quality, honesty, real science all seem to be falling by the wayside.  It makes me sad.

This is disappointing.  

I mean, I thought the megalodon shark was real?  And current?   :D ...Not really.  (Do we have a sarcasm font?)

I have no problem with odd, off the wall documentaries as long as they are not presented as fact.  But actors pretending to be scientists, faked photos, etc, without any clarification that this is a work of fiction based on a prehistoric shark (or whatever) ... That's not good.  

I was going to mention that the History Channel is just as bad, but the article also mentions that.

Even when History Channel does a "serious" documentary they try to stir up the "mystery" by discussing all sorts of alternative theories that 99.9% of the scholarly world thinks is utter bunk. No, they don't think it's bunk because it will "shake the foundation of the Christian faith as we know it!!!" Even the atheists know it's bunk because it is bunk. So WHY give these charlatans any air time???

The news the other evening did a segment on some other "Jesus wife" document, and their "scholar" clip was the Naked Archaeologist guy. Seriously?? Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. 

Do the TV producers really think we are that stupid? Or are they trying to make us that stupid? Hey, I've got a conspiracy theory....

Btw, I'm often by their hq, which is next to ds's ballet studio. Maybe we should organize a protest or something... I'm often bored and just taking a walk during that time. We'll get a permit and I can just circle with signs like, "Bring back the real science!" (Or something more clever - I'm not feeling clever now...)

(Sarcasm) I'm shocked just shocked.

Next thing you will be telling me is that the  people on the show Alaska: The Last Frontier is only 11 miles from a Walmart so when they say they would have to go without is just incorrect.

DIsclaimer- I love the show but it cracks me up when they act like they live 100 miles from the nearest store.

Btw, I'm often by their hq, which is next to ds's ballet studio. Maybe we should organize a protest or something... I'm often bored and just taking a walk during that time. We'll get a permit and I can just circle with signs like, "Bring back the real science!" (Or something more clever - I'm not feeling clever now...)

That would be an awesome use of your waiting room time!

Go, Farrar, Go!!!

:hurray:

(Sarcasm) I'm shocked just shocked.

Next thing you will be telling me is that the people on the show Alaska: The Last Frontier is only 11 miles from a Walmart so when they say they would have to go without is just incorrect.

DIsclaimer- I love the show but it cracks me up when they act like they live 100 miles from the nearest store.

I've only seen that show once--are they close to a store??

I was going to mention that the History Channel is just as bad, but the article also mentions that.

Even when History Channel does a "serious" documentary they try to stir up the "mystery" by discussing all sorts of alternative theories that 99.9% of the scholarly world thinks is utter bunk. No, they don't think it's bunk because it will "shake the foundation of the Christian faith as we know it!!!" Even the atheists know it's bunk because it is bunk. So WHY give these charlatans any air time???

The news the other evening did a segment on some other "Jesus wife" document, and their "scholar" clip was the Naked Archaeologist guy. Seriously?? Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Do the TV producers really think we are that stupid? Or are they trying to make us that stupid? Hey, I've got a conspiracy theory....

Don't tell me....it was Mary Magdalen, wasn't it. I *knew* it! I saw it once on TV.

;)

And, yes, TV producers think we really are that stupid. And we (collectively) do nothing to dissuade them from that view. Besides cheap shtick sells...the more unbelievable, the better.

Obviously this stuff nets them money or they wouldn't make it. I guess what I wonder is... obviously there are serious, well-educated, motivated documentary type watchers who find them disgusting and won't watch their stuff. And some of their viewership just finds it funny and many of their shows are just reality TV anyway. But there are less well-educated, interested people who want to learn more about the world who maybe don't realize how completely misleading or fictional many of their shows are.

If you gave the people in the final category a choice between something like Cosmos or The Secret Life of Mammals or How We Got to Now or The American Experience or some other good documentary series would they pick that over something like Megalodon or Why Everything from the Past Was Made By Aliens or The Science of the Nanobots That Are Eating Your Brain or whatever the heck else they're airing these days, would those people choose the "real" documentaries or the Discovery Channel sort? And what's the price difference anyway? Obviously Cosmos was really pricey as these things go, but what about something like a random episode of NOVA? Is that way more than a fake ancient sea monster special or about the same?

Sometimes dh does bit parts for Discovery networks shows. He hasn't been called to do anything really weird though. Just reenact old crimes.

Next time I am in DC, we should do this! We should call Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson. My home state CUT OUT part of Cosmos because of science. So, I KNOW what people would choose. I just wouldn't give them a choice. Humph!

There should be a PBS documentary channel :) I could watch Ken Burns and David Attenborough all day. Right now I have Ken Burns Prohibition going in the DVD player :)

There is here! We have - I think - three or four digital PBS stations - cooking, kids, documentaries/learning, and maybe lifestyle? Or maybe Britcoms? But it's sadly not all Ken Burns and David Attenborough. I can't remember what the run all the time, but I know I was less than impressed by the reruns.

There should be a PBS documentary channel :) I could watch Ken Burns and David Attenborough all day. Right now I have Ken Burns Prohibition going in the DVD player :)

I would love that!!

I love PBS so much. It's free tv and yet people pass it by for stupid cable shows. I know I used to-until we ditched cable. I never knew how awesome pbs was until it was my only choice!

We have 3 pbs channels-one is regular pbs, one is called create & it is like a mix of hgtv, travel channel, & food network. Love it! Then we have one called world (I think). It has interesting documentaries on foreign countries (among other things). I really like seeing how the rest of the world lives.

Sigh. I heart PBS

I gave up somewhat recently after I saw an Animal Planet documentary that claimed to have proof of mermaids. 20 minutes into it I was on my iPad and discovered the whole thing was done as entertainment, but I missed the disclaimer.

I don't mind monster hunting type shows when I'm in the mood(mostly to laugh and heckle), but I think it should be clearly presented as such and things shouldn't just be made up.

DS loves River Monsters and Jeff Corwin so we haven't given up entirely, but I won't allow him to watch these mockumentaries.  I did find that Jeff Corwin has another show based out of the Georgia Aquarium.  It is on Hulu and, I think, was made for public TV.  Very good quality and he toned it down from his Animal Planet show.

Next time I am in DC, we should do this! We should call Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson. My home state CUT OUT part of Cosmos because of science. So, I KNOW what people would choose. I just wouldn't give them a choice. Humph!

I am up for a road trip to DC.

It's crazy, we used to watch The History Channel for hours as kids, now they don't show anything I want to watch.

I have satellite now, when we lived in GA I remember 3 or 4 PBS channels but the one if was usually watching was PBS Kids (where dd1 got her love of Curious George). Dh says we can't give up satellite now because he likes all the news channels :(

You might be able to get your PBS stations without giving up your satellite, by getting an small tv antenna.  You could switch back and forth between the satellite and the antenna.  If you are close to a PBS transmitter even a little rabbit ears style one inside would work.

Here is a website that tells you what reception might be light with an antenna might be like if you put in your zipcode.  http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

We're another family that used to watch quite a bit of the real stuff on the History Channel and Discovery.  Now we don't watch anything except Mythbusters when it is on.

The Travel Channel used to be a good one too.  I don't tape anything from it anymore either.  Silly me, I prefer travel (or history or science) to the created reality-type junk.

This site says, tho, that it doesn't take into account things like trees, hills, etc. we have zero reception with any antenna in this area. Going digital really hurt alot of rural areas, but sure profited satellite companies.

This is our problem, we can hardly get satellite even, the only internet we can get without putting up a 50 feet pole is through our cell phones, besides putting up the pole we don't have any other options. Too many trees for satellite internet an no broadband or cable

The Learning Channel, The History Channel, Discovery, and Animal Planet, are all channels we used to love. When ds was little he especially loved TLC, Animal Planet , and Discovery. He used to call The History Channel "Dad's H channel" (because they always had the H logo on screen) or "Dad's black and white channel (because of all the black and white WWII footage). Those 4 channels have not been missed at all since we gave up satellite/cable. They became jokes long ago and we stopped watching all of them. 

We're another family that used to watch quite a bit of the real stuff on the History Channel and Discovery.  Now we don't watch anything except Mythbusters when it is on.

We buy Mythbusters on Amazon, but I'm getting tired of that one now. And I can't help but wonder if letting Tory, Grant, and Kari go is the beginning of the end.

We buy Mythbusters on Amazon, but I'm getting tired of that one now. And I can't help but wonder if letting Tory, Grant, and Kari go is the beginning of the end.

I'm not a fan of it. My kids watch it and think myths have been "busted" beyond all shadow of doubt. We've had discussions about how it's scientific entertainment and not real science--which requires multiple experiments and replication of results.