Menu

Total science catastrophe - please help

Smithie

I have been using Pandia Press Biology Level 2 so far this year. I have to switch - the kids can't succeed with it. They can understand the concepts, but the multiple-choice questions and difference in wording between the lessons and the tests are messing them up. They are the kind of students who enjoy tests and grades, so just skipping the tests is not an option - but a curriculum that didn't have tests, only built-in chapter reviews, would be fine. Just so I have something to correct and they have something to compete on ;-)

The kids are 10 and 8. We HATE labs, projects, lesson plans that require you to cobble together a unit with books from the library, etc. We just want a self-contained consumable science textbook that teaches actual science, not mythology. Anybody have any suggestions? 

Please help, we're so discouraged. 

What about Mr. Q Life Science.

[Note, I've never used it; I've just looked into a lot because I'm planning on using it next year.]

Pros:

It's free, so if it doesn't work out nothing is lost.

It's a download so you could get it today.

It's not heavily reliant on labs or experiments - there are some listed in the teacher's book, but they aren't integral to the teaching.

You're kids could read the text themselves.  I enjoy the conversational writing style and funny illustrations.

The student books has vocabulary matching, crossword puzzles, etc. as end of chapter reviews.

The parent book includes discussion questions about the chapters.

Cons:

Your kids are at the upper end of the age recommendation, so it will probably not be a huge challenge for them, especially the 10 year old.

You either have to print it out or view it on a computer or tablet or some combination of the two.  It seems some people use the Notability app to do the worksheets directly on a tablet, and other people print only the worksheet pages and read the text on the tablet.

Wendy 

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

It really is a bit old for them, that's one of the problems. But even in a year or two I don't think it would be a good fit for us - it's just not set up for the way we think  :tongue_smilie:

The boys will be doing K12 next year, and they so Earth Science for sixth grade - but other than not wanting to do Earth Science to avoid repeating next year, I am flexible on the content of the curriculum. Even a "standard" science book that combines the branches would be fine, if it was a good textbook.  

What about Galore Park's Junior Science or Singapore Science grades 3-4? They're readable and fun textbooks (from what I have heard), and neither education system really includes much earth science in science class (it's in geography class) so it would minimize overlap. 

ETA: Here is a link to Junior Science Book 1  -- there are 3 books intended for grades 2-4, but they are about $20-$25 each with free worldwide shipping, and they are rather slim books, so you might buy more than one -- http://www.bookdepository.com/Junior-Science-Book-1-Sue-Hunter/9781905735174

Have you looked at CPO? We are using Eath science this year, but they have biology and physics as well. It's a standard textbook, is totally secular, and has section reviews and chapter tests. There is a ton of extras on the website, if you felt like you wanted an extra lab or worksheet here and there. They are totally optional, but are worthwhile, I think. Otherwise it's all self contained. :)

• 2 months later...

We use (and like) Sonlight science.  It isn't a textbook, but it comes in a ready-to-go package of interesting science books/a daily schedule/teacher notes/worksheets with everything you need (and there are experiments scheduled, but if you dislike doing them, they can be watched in a demo on the included science DVD on the days they are scheduled). 

The kids could do the worksheets for tests to get a grade, and to show you what they learned.  Your kids would be the right age to share either Science D or Science E together, depending on what they are interested in (each year covers a few different broad topics). 

nm

I'd MUCH rather use many of the books in the SL science curriculum list than a text book. Especially with young children who like to read on their own, it's a lot easier to pick up a great illustrated children's book than a text book.  I guess it depends on what you want in your homeschool to try and develop a love of learning science.

Edited by tmoan
Deleted content from removed post

How about Elemental science- read, take notes or do narrations, there is a test every few chapters and only one, maybe two experiments a week. Another one would be Christian Kids Explore series (if you don't mind Christian curriculum)- very easily done and not a ton of experiments and few tests here and there.

RSO Biology level 2 is written for middle school not elementary levels so it maybe too much for them.