Menu

Dog overeating....Always an emergency or not? Resolved, thankfully.

Jenrae

I'm a fairly new poster here, although I have been lurking and reading for many years. I'm hoping I can get some input from those of you who have experienced this.

Has your dog ever gotten into MORE dog food than he/she should have eaten? I had this happen years ago, and rushed my dog to the veterinary hospital and $300.00 later, she was fine. Looking back, I truly think as a new dog owner that I overreacted. Well.....it has happened again. I am debating if I really need to take her in or not.

If you have ever experienced this.....how did you handle it? Do I dare wait at least a few hours and see what happens? So far the only thing I see is that her tummy is a little large, and she vomited a very small amount once. I do realize I need to keep her from running around or drinking any water, which may cause the food to swell too much.

Any ideas??

That would never be something that warranted an immediate trip to the vet in my house. Most likely the dog will throw up a bunch, have intestinal issues for the next day or so but nothing that can't just run its course. Of course if they got into something that was poisonous to them I'd take them to the vet.

• Like 3

Unless it was a large, deep chested dog then no.  It would never occur to me to go to the vet for something like that.  We had a beagle who got into stuff all the time.  She'd sleep it off and be raring to eat again at breakfast.  Never had an upset tummy or any other issue.

Large, deep chested dogs have an increased risk of bloat.  I still probably wouldn't go to the vet, but I'd keep a close watch on the dog and restrict water for several hours.

• Like 3

Unless it was a large, deep chested dog then no.  It would never occur to me to go to the vet for something like that.  We had a beagle who got into stuff all the time.  She'd sleep it off and be raring to eat again at breakfast.  Never had an upset tummy or any other issue.

Large, deep chested dogs have an increased risk of bloat.  I still probably wouldn't go to the vet, but I'd keep a close watch on the dog and restrict water for several hours.

I thought about telling her about bloat--that's why I am curious what type of dog it is.  How soon would she be in the clear?

• Like 1

I thought about telling her about bloat--that's why I am curious what type of dog it is.  How soon would she be in the clear?

I'm  not sure.  I'm guessing it depends a lot on how much the dog ate, but I would think after eight hours or so it should be fine.  Probably be a good idea to restrict activity, too.  Only calm walking, no running or playing.

ETA:  I'd watch to make sure that she doesn't start acting really uncomfortable, or heaves w/o bringing anything up.  If either of those happened I'd head to the vet immediately.

• Like 1

Nah, it will come back out, one way or another.

Two of mine have gotten into stuff and gorged. Just no running, slow walks, lots of bathroom breaks. They'll have a distended, sore tummy - kind of like us after some holiday meals.

Dog may have a bout of diarrhea after. Regular food and a bit of canned unsweetened pumpkin.

Slippery elm can also help.

It's not like with horses where it's a life threatening thing.

• Like 2

Yes, my first thought was bloat. Last time it happened the vet office I used made it sound like it was a major emergency that she overate. Now, with a few years experience as a pet owner, I am not sure I want to run to the emergency vet clinic over what MIGHT happen as a result of my piggy dog over eating!

Looks like the consensus is to wait and see. That is what I was leaning towards as well, as money is not growing on trees around here!

Honestly, she seems fine, other than the one time vomiting. She's resting, not panting, and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I will take the advice and limit her movement and water intake.

Thanks so much for your advice!

• Like 2

I'd be especially concerned if the dog got into something toxic (chocolate, etc.) or if the food he ate was very fatty. Dogs can get pancreatitis from a large fatty meal (most common holiday dog emergency is the dog who was allowed to eat a large amount of turkey drippings . . . ). 

I don't know that I'd run to the ER even if the dog ate a large very fatty meal, but I'd definitely keep a close eye. Maybe call the vet if it was a very large meal.

(DH is a vet, though, so TBH, I never have to make these decisions . . . I just call him . . . Last time, one of our dogs ate half of a Sam's Club bag of chocolate chips . . . so we rushed him to work and he puked up what looked like a huge bowl of brownie batter, lol. But, for all the other multitudes of times when one of the dogs has eaten a loaf of bread or similar, we just keep an eye, take them outside frequently, they might be pukey or need to go potty a few extra times, but they've always been OK within 8-12 hours. One of our dogs is prone to pancreatitis, but his isn't food related.) 

• Like 1

I think I'll be fine...my dog did this as a 12 week old puppy.  The vet students agreed to keep him overnight free of charge because I was working and they wanted a cute puppy to play with all night.  I'd be less concerned about bloat if the food was a grain free food.  I personally feed mine raw and routinely allow gorge meals.

Stefanie

We survived the night, although she woke me at 3:00 am NEEDING to go potty!

So glad she didn't eat as much as she did several years ago, when I had to have her stomach pumped. THAT was an expensive meal. Needless to say, I need to be more careful with putting th elid back on her food container.

Thank you to each of you for sharing your experience.

• Like 2

We survived the night, although she woke me at 3:00 am NEEDING to go potty!

So glad she didn't eat as much as she did several years ago, when I had to have her stomach pumped. THAT was an expensive meal. Needless to say, I need to be more careful with putting th elid back on her food container.

Thank you to each of you for sharing your experience.

I'm glad she's okay!

FWIW -- You might want to do some research on giving a dog hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

I'm not a vet, so I'm not saying it's what you should do if your dog overeats again.  But it's a handy bit of knowledge to have stored in the back of your mind, just in case.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

We just came home from dinner and found that our 25 pound, 4 y.o., Miniature Schnauzer had scarfed half of a large bag of "Pup-A-Roni." She's not exhibiting any symptoms, other than drink more water than normal.

Any think that this might warrant an emergency vet visit?

Thanks,

SSG978

Hi,

We just came home from dinner and found that our 25 pound, 4 y.o., Miniature Schnauzer had scarfed half of a large bag of "Pup-A-Roni." She's not exhibiting any symptoms, other than drink more water than normal.

Any think that this might warrant an emergency vet visit?

Thanks,

SSG978

I wouldn't go to the emergency vet over that. Hope your puppy feels better soon!

• 4 years later...

Hi I have a puppy and he overeat yesterday. Actually I was working yesterday and my puppy was food was finished the one I give him from the beginning of the day he come. But my mom she didn't see well she buy a wrong package and she fedhim too and she fedhim the new one. Now he's not feeling well what should I do. He vomit yesterday a couples of time. And I didn't give him other food. He's clinic is close too.

• 1 year later...

Hi there!

Our 10 1/2 week old corgi pup got into his sister's food bowl on Sunday afternoon, it had about a cup of kibble in there with some bone broth and we think he ate it all. He normally gets about 2/3 cup of "gently cooked" fresh food a day. He was bloated/had a big belly for the rest of the day on Sunday, but didn't seem overly uncomfortable and wasn't vomiting or anything. So Monday morning he got his regular meal and other than some *very* liquid poop, seemed to be going back to normal... but then yesterday afternoon, he vomited what looked like his morning meal (nearly 12 hours after eating??), and then did not want to eat his evening meal... though he is still drinking water, especially the little bowl of bone broth water I mixed up for him. 

I guess I'm just trying to decide if I should be concerned/take him to the vet, or give it another day or two. His belly is no longer bloated, so I don't think bloat/gvd is a concern at this point...

Thank for reading!

TL;DR puppy gorged on Sunday afternoon, seemed fine but then vomited and refused food Monday evening. Should I be worried?

• 5 weeks later...

My 11 month old black lab got into his dry food bin and overate. I gave him so peroxide and he threw a little up was feeling better but is just laying about. He isn’t panting, he isn’t vomiting, he has drank water and peed but hasn’t pooped yet. He doesn’t mind me petting his belly and doesn’t seem like he is in pain or too uncomfortable. But he is definitely not being his puppy self. I’m being a worried dog mom and trying to determine if he has bloat or if I should take him to the ER Vet. 
honestly I think I’m more concerned then he is. Any advice helps.