Menu

Help us Research Various Literacies (survey)

amy g.

My daughter is working on a honors project and needs anyone willing to help to fill out the following survey. You can post your answers here in this thread, and feel free to include any additional thoughts on the subject. Thank you so much.

Please help me with my Honors Project by completing this quick survey. Thanks!

Please circle all which apply.

In which way(s) do you learn best?

A. Reading              B. Sound             C. Visual        D. Multi-Media           E. Other____________

In a classroom, would you rather se multi[media such as film clips, audio books, plays, paintings, comics etc. than receive all of the information through written text?

A. Definitely          B. Yes                 C. Maybe         D. No                          E. Never

Do you self identify with any of the following learning styles?

A. Visual                B. Auditory         C. Kinesthetic       D. Other____________

In which ways do you consider yourself literate (able to communicate effectively)?

A. Text                  B. Sound             C. Visual               D. Multi-Media         E. What          F. What?

Did you learn these literacies in a classroom?

A. Definitely          B. Yes                 C. Maybe         D. No                          E. Never

Have you ever had a teacher teach comic books in your class? If so, was it helpful? Why or why not?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Would you like to see more comics or graphic novels in class rooms? Why or why not?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To help me further, write or email me (mmcquilling@d2l.lonestar.edu) how you hypothesize the long-term effects that a widespread increase in people who possess multi-literacies would have on society. 

Do you know your Myers Briggs personality type? If so, what is it?

Thanks again. 

My daughter is working on a honors project and needs anyone willing to help to fill out the following survey. You can post your answers here in this thread, and feel free to include any additional thoughts on the subject. Thank you so much.

A. Reading              B. Sound             C. Visual        D. Multi-Media           E. Other____________

In a classroom, would you rather se multi[media such as film clips, audio books, plays, paintings, comics etc. than receive all of the information through written text?

A. Visual                B. Auditory         C. Kinesthetic       D. Other____________

In which ways do you consider yourself literate (able to communicate effectively)?

A. Text                  B. Sound             C. Visual               D. Multi-Media         E. What          F. What?

Have you ever had a teacher teach comic books in your class? If so, was it helpful? Why or why not? No I have not

Would you like to see more comics or graphic novels in class rooms? Why or why not? Yes, but only used as a tool to supplement other learning.  

To help me further, write or email me ([email protected]<script type="text/javascript"> /* */ </script>) how you hypothesize the long-term effects that a widespread increase in people who possess multi-literacies would have on society. 

Do you know your Myers Briggs personality type? If so, what is it? INFJ

Thanks again. 

XA. Reading B. Sound XC. Visual D. Multi-Media E. Other____________

A. Definitely B. Yes XC. Maybe D. No E. Never

XA. Visual B. Auditory C. Kinesthetic D. Other____________

XA. Text B. Sound C. Visual D. Multi-Media E. What F. What?

A. Definitely XB. Yes C. Maybe D. No E. Never

Have you ever had a teacher teach comic books in your class? If so, was it helpful? Why or why not?

______No________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Would you like to see more comics or graphic novels in class rooms? Why or why not?

______________________________________________________________________________________Depending on the subject. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To help me further, write or email me (mmcquilling@d2l.lonestar.edu) how you hypothesize the long-term effects that a widespread increase in people who possess multi-literacies would have on society.

No, too lazy to take the test.

Thanks again.

:-)

A. Reading   C. Visual  

C. Maybe   

A. Visual        

A. Text     B. Sound    (I'm not that great at designing anything visual, like flyers.  I can write the text but I get other people to do the pretty stuff!)

C. Maybe   (Probably not totally.  I gradually learned to write better research papers, mostly by reading, I think--I was taught very little writing.  Now that I've been practicing speaking for 15+ years, by teaching or speaking or whatever, I am better at it.)

I went to college in the early/mid 90s, when graphic novels were only just getting started in a big way.  My Comp Lit (Europe in the 30s) instructor assigned Maus to us as part of our reading.  Well, I think it was him.  Could possibly have been my other Comp Lit class, maybe.

I'm fine with moderate use.  The community college I work at seems to use them fairly extensively.  Stitches is assigned on a regular basis, and I think Fun Home, and we have quite a few more.  I've enjoyed many graphic novels, though I'm not always comfortable when they get overly fictional with historical topics (I'm thinking here of Laika, for one, which could have used less overt sentimentality).  As memoirs, they work extremely well.  As history, I am not so sure.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.  We have always had many people who worked better visually or in sound or etc.  It's possible that it's only in the last...say, 70 or so years that schools have gotten both universal enough, and so narrow in focus, that only people who are good at reading and writing get the chance to excel.

Not a clue.