Menu

Completely confused about teaching Phonics! Help please :)

Blessedx9

I am so confused about the different phonics programs out there.  Now, this isn't my first time teaching phonics (it's actually my 3rd and 4th children) but I just can't decide what to use this time. 

For background info, I am teaching my 8, 6 and 5 yo's to read.  (I previously subscribed to the better late than early school of thought but am now changing my mind a bit.)  I used 100 EL with my last 2, but I honestly can't stand the thought of using it again!  I have looked at a lot of different programs and I have gotten confused by the different options.  I am really hoping that maybe someone can give me some input. 

We tried the new PAL from IEW and while we really liked it, it was taking forever to get through each day!  I'm teaching 6 dc this year, plus keeping up with my toddler, as well as, my 3 grandchildren a couple of days a week and I just don't have that kind of time!  I've looked at AAR, since we are going to use AAS but it's so expensive to buy everything needed for the 3 kiddos.  I found a book called Simply Phonics by Laurie Hicks and it looks pretty good.  I also have Happy Phonics but it's a little TOO unscripted for me.  I've looked at OPGTR online as well.  I want something that kind of combines things a bit.  My dd's love workbook pages, but my ds doesn't as much.  They love playing game, but I can't have too many, because of the time factor.  I would love something that isn't too expensive, but that part is somewhat negotiable :) 

Also an issue is the length of time it takes for the different programs. For example, 100 EL is a pretty short-term program (3-4 months), while AAR is a 4 year program (at least that's the way I understand it.) Why are some so drawn out? I'm not looking for instant results, or a short-term commitment, per se, but 4 years to teach reading? Does it really take that long to teach the sounds and blends? I'm just wondering what I'm missing here, kwim? 

Sorry to ramble on so, but I'm really at a loss here!  I've been hsing for 13 years now and this is really bothering me that I can't get this figured out and move on :cursing:   ANY help and advice will be most appreciated :hurray: !!!

I use OPGTTR with my 5 and 3 year old and love it! My boys like workbook pages usually but they do progress much faster with reading when they don't use phonics workbook pages. I bought ETC for my 5 year old but he wasn't crazy about it and he is progressing through OPGTTR beautifully without it. I do vary a bit how I have them do the word lists - sometimes write them on a white board, sometimes use bananagrams, etc. to keep their interest but usually we just do the book. I wouldn't have started my 3 year old yet but he wanted to do it like his big brother and now he's reading ;) It usually only takes about 15 min a day for each child. (Maybe 10 min if they are more focused.)

I really like and recommend "The Reading Lesson" it is sort of "100EZ 2.0" It is cuter than 100 EZ by a loooong shot. It uses a special orthography like 100EZ, but the special orthography is not NEARLY as intrusive as that of 100EZ. It teaches digraphs in a straight forward way, it doesn't do as much for consonant blends, but it is easy to add that in with a few activities.

TRL introduces the sounds and symbols as they are needed, not all at once. The first chapter teaches only  c,a,s,t,o. You read "Cat sat at cot" at the end of the lesson. The book waits to introduce upper case letters as needed so some people don't like that because the grammar isn't perfect but for young kids the consistency helps more than the lack of proper grammar hurts so I'm more than okay with that. They teach 'th' in lesson 3 so you can use "the" and "that"

The first 5 chapters in that book are short vowel words and if your kid(s) can read CVC words then I would do the last part of chapter 5 and move on. If you have any 'new to reading'-readers, than those first 5 chapters are very, very valuable. I used the book with great success multiple times on multiple kids and I really like, though I've expanded/grown the way that I use the book, using it "as written" is easy and I've had immense success with that too.

Thanks for the advice, ladies! I've looked at both the OPGTR and The Reading Lesson as well as read the link to K. Webster's Speller to teach reading, but I think I really need something more scripted, more "open and go", especially b/c I'm teaching 6 kiddos this year.   I think, based on that, I have it narrowed it down to CLE's Learning to Read and AAR level 1.  My kiddos love workbook type pages so they both fit the bill for that, as well as, being pretty much open and go. Anyone have any input on these, for example, what did you love about them, what did you hate, etc would be very helpful! 

I used I See Sam  and Progressive Phonics. 

For Progressive Phonics (free online), I taught the phonograms in the order presented in their books. We would write (in a pie plate filled with salt) and say the new phonogram with it's sounds several times. Then we would read the book with that phonogram together.  I also  reviewed (on cards) previous learned phonograms each day. I just went at each child's pace. It was a fun and effective way to learn.

I've stopped all the nonsense and started just doing this.

Hoenshel’s Language Lessons and Elementary Grammar 1899: pg. 11-20

https://archive.org/details/hoenshelslangua00hoengoog

McGuffey’s Eclectic Primer 1909

https://archive.org/details/mcguffeyseclecti00mcgu 

Don Potter’s Direct Path to Cursive

http://donpotter.net/pdf/direct_path_to_cursive.pdf