Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW46

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts!  Today is the start of week 46 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die:   I received this book last Christmas and determined that  I had read 51 out of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.  If I live to be 100 years old, that would mean I need to read 21 books a year in order read all 1001. That's not going to happen,  just because....fill in the blank with whatever excuse comes to mind. *grin*  However, I could probably manage 5 to 10 a year if I really put my heart and mind into it.  And speaking of my mind, I've already started brainstorming for 2015 since we only have 8 weeks (7 1/2 if you want to get technical) left in the year.  *facepalm*  I think everyone will agree this year has gone by way to fast. 

So I've set a new goal for myself as well as, drumroll please......decided to present you with a new mini challenge for next year.  I thought you'd appreciate the advance notice.  In order to avoid the 'my eyes are bigger than my stomach' syndrome, going to limit it to 5 books.  The five books I have chosen are:

1. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
  2. Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres
  3. Foucaults Pendulum - Umberto Eco
  4. The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende
  5. To Kill a Mockinbird - Harper Lee

I have a few other books in my stacks and if I get to those, we'll consider them gravy.  Now the good thing is you don't even have to buy 1001 Books because the list is online.   Have fun, plan away and see what strikes your fancy. 

History of the Ancient World:  Chapter 64 and 65

What are you reading this week?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm midway through Cassandra Clara's 5th book in her Mortal Instruments ya series - City of Lost Souls and On ipad rereading Faith Hunter's #1st book in Jane Yellowrock series - Skinwalker.  Also dipped my toes into Robert Jordan's 4th in the Wheel of Time series -  The Shadow Rising

Tipping my hat to BaWers this week as I pick up books recommended in this thread.

Kareni suggested that I try Robert Goddard's thriller novels.  His first, published in '86, is entitled Past Caring.  The jacket reads:

Martin Radford, history graduate, disaffected and unemployed, jumps at the chance to visit the Portuguese island of Madeira at the invitation of an old university friend who is running the local English language newspaper.  Luck continues to run with him when he is offered a lucrative commission to research the mysterious resignation and subsequent obscure retirement--on Madeira--of Edwardian Cabinet minister Edwin Stafford.  Strafford's secret journal becomes the focal point of Radford's investigation. Soon, however, he finds himself entangled in a bizarre and inevitably violent chain of events:  a chain which leads him back to crimes long past and the people who sought to conceal them.

With echoes of John Fowles' The Magus, the compelling narrative style and labyrinthine plot make Past Caring an extraordinary achievement.

The Magus is one of my favorite novels so an "echo" will be appreciated.  The initial setting in Madeira is perfect for this reader who is always seeking her vicarious travel thrills.

Speaking of which....Shukriyya and Stacia have mentioned Freya Stark.  I have started reading her Afghan travel book, The Minaret of Djam, about a trip taken in the late '60's, published in 1970 when Stark was a spry 77 year old. What is completely fascinating to me is the time period--a decade before Brezhnev orchestrated the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, as well as ten years before  the Iranian Revolution on Afghanistan's western border, Given that Pakistan's first democratic elections since independence from Britain are about to take place as Stark writes, I was taken aback by her comment that the former British viceroy of India, John Lawrence, "was in favour of an Afghanistan reaching to the Indus".  My, how politicians envision carving the world!

I finished the week only seven chapters behind in HoAW!!!

This past week I finished Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I tried reading one of her books, can't remember which one, several years ago and couldn't get into it enough to finish.  I gave Austen another go since this book was scheduled for our book club this month.  This time around I enjoyed her more, but I can't say she's one of my favorites.  Not sure specifically why, but there it is...sorry Austen fans... :o   (dodging tomatoes...lol!)  

Although I don't post frequently, I enjoy you ladies and these book threads immensely!

I finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Farewell, My Lovely - both very fun and funny. Then this morning I read the first book in The Series of Unfortunate Events - The Bad Beginning - because two of my children started reading it (which made me particularly happy about the Netflix series announcement on last week's thread). I'm not yet totally committed to reading the whole series with them. Thirteen books is a lot - especially when they're children's books I'm reading to myself. But I DO love read-alongs, so we'll see.

I am continuing with Moscow in the Plague Year and have started on The 2014 Rhysling Anthology (SF/F poems that have been nominated for the Rhysling award) and On Writing by Stephen King.

Two books that I read and enjoyed over the past few days:

Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy) by Ilona Andrews

This is listed as paranormal romance, but I might call it urban fantasy.

"Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile situation. Nevada isn't sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she's kidnapped by Connor "Mad" Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run and wanting to surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan's after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she's getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world."

I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Darling Beast (Maiden Lane) by Elizabeth Hoyt

This is a historical romance set in London in 1741.  It's the latest in a series but it stands alone well.

"A MAN CONDEMNED . . .

Falsely accused of murder and mute from a near-fatal beating, Apollo Greaves, Viscount Kilbourne has escaped from Bedlam. With the Crown's soldiers at his heels, he finds refuge in the ruins of a pleasure garden, toiling as a simple gardener. But when a vivacious young woman moves in, he's quickly driven to distraction . . .

A DESPERATE WOMAN . . .

London's premier actress, Lily Stump, is down on her luck when she's forced to move into a scorched theatre with her maid and small son. But she and her tiny family aren't the only inhabitants-a silent, hulking beast of a man also calls the charred ruins home. Yet when she catches him reading her plays, Lily realizes there's more to this man than meets the eye.

OUT OF ASH, DESIRE FLARES

Though scorching passion draws them together, Apollo knows that Lily is keeping secrets. When his past catches up with him, he's forced to make a choice: his love for Lily . . . or the explosive truth that will set him free."

Regards,

Kareni

Happy Sunday, dear hearts!  Today is the start of week 46 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die:   I received this book last Christmas and determined that  I had read 51 out of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.  If I live to be 100 years old, that would mean I need to read 21 books a year in order read all 1001. That's not going to happen,  just because....fill in the blank with whatever excuse comes to mind. *grin*  However, I could probably manage 5 to 10 a year if I really put my heart and mind into it.  And speaking of my mind, I've already started brainstorming for 2015 since we only have 8 weeks (7 1/2 if you want to get technical) left in the year.  *facepalm*  I think everyone will agree this year has gone by way to fast. 

So I've set a new goal for myself as well as, drumroll please......decided to present you with a new mini challenge for next year.  I thought you'd appreciate the advance notice.  In order to avoid the 'my eyes are bigger than my stomach' syndrome, going to limit it to 5 books.  The five books I have chosen are:

I have a few other books in my stacks and if I get to those, we'll consider them gravy.  Now the good thing is you don't even have to buy 1001 Books because the list is online.   Have fun, plan away and see what strikes your fancy. 

Love this challenge!  And I loved all five of your books.  I would suggest that you don't, um, tackle Eco first.  Speaking as one for whom anything over 600 pages is a definite deterent...  :laugh:

This is listed as paranormal romance, but I might call it urban fantasy.

"Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile situation. Nevada isn't sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she's kidnapped by Connor "Mad" Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run and wanting to surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan's after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she's getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world."

I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

I'm glad to hear this.  My husband picked it up from the library for me yesterday!

Love this challenge!  And I loved all five of your books.  I would suggest that you don't, um, tackle Eco first.  Speaking as one for whom anything over 600 pages is a definite deterent...  :laugh:

I've read 2 of the 5, though I have to double check on House of the Spirits -- perhaps it was another Allende that I read??  In any case, these are all books I'd like to read.  I keep hearing the Eco book recommended.  I'm daunted before even seeing how long it is just because Name of the Rose was a long and tough -- maybe emotionally tough?  It definitely stayed with me.

Have any of our Patrick Rothfuss fans read Slow Regard of Silent Things yet?  I listened to it this week, and really, really enjoyed it.  I thought the prose was lovely and poetic, it felt like a fairy tale.  Not much happened, but it was mesmerizing.   I did not make it to his reading -- life, you know, keeps happening.  

And life is pulling me away right now.  Dh and I are thinking we'll run away thanksgiving week -- my only requirement is the hotel have a good spot for reading as that is all I really want to do.

52 Books Blog - 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die:   I received this book last Christmas and determined that  I had read 51 out of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.  If I live to be 100 years old, that would mean I need to read 21 books a year in order read all 1001. That's not going to happen,  just because....fill in the blank with whatever excuse comes to mind. *grin*  However, I could probably manage 5 to 10 a year if I really put my heart and mind into it.  And speaking of my mind, I've already started brainstorming for 2015 since we only have 8 weeks (7 1/2 if you want to get technical) left in the year.  *facepalm*  I think everyone will agree this year has gone by way to fast.  So I've set a new goal for myself as well as, drumroll please......decided to present you with a new mini challenge for next year.  I thought you'd appreciate the advance notice.  In order to avoid the 'my eyes are bigger than my stomach' syndrome, going to limit it to 5 books.  The five books I have chosen are:

• Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres
  • Foucaults Pendulum - Umberto Eco
  • The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende
  • To Kill a Mockinbird - Harper Lee

History of the Ancient World:  Chapter 64 and 65

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 45

Regarding the five, I will certainly try! Have to admit House of Spirits recently was returned unread. Only 41 of those books read for sure, a few more are "maybe". So the challenge will be good for me.

No HotAW this week so still far behind. My only defense is most of my reading was on the kindle away from home. Hard to take that chunky of a book with me.

Currently reading Moon over Soho http://penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/206967/moon-over-soho. Enjoying it. Another of my spooky series requests......Also started Burn by James Patterson. It will go fast if I ever get to sit down and read it.

Working on 'Lavinia' as I mentioned yesterday. And dealing with fleas on the new pup. She's cream-colored so I can actually see them crawling around. Double shudder  :eek:  Our other dog is black and goes through periods of occasional itching depending on the season but I can't see his fleas, so out of sight out of mind right?  ;)  Not so with this little girl. So off to the pet store we went today to get a nasty topical flea treatment which will take care of them--only temporarily I might add--but with a toxic load no doubt. Blech. I spent yesterday in a funk because of this. Not sure why it bothered me so much. I'm a pet person, it's not like I've not dealt with fleas many times before. I think it's because I realize there's just no winning the war with fleas. If your pet doesn't have them someone else's does or else they're having a gay old time in your yard. Hrumph.

ETA Who here sleeps with their pets? I recently read some pretty disturbing articles on the dangers of this. I've always slept with my pets but since little missy is now a flea hotel that's not an option for a bit. After that I'm not sure now.

Anyway onto bookish things, I'm on book # 48 with Lavinia and it is wonderful! I believe it was Eliana who suggested this, so thank you, dear. And I've got my next five books laid out. My 52nd book will be one ds gave me as a gift, the first book in one of his favorite series, The Mistmantle Chronicles called 'Urchin of the Riding Stars'. He's been begging me to read this and I decided his would be the culminating 52nd book. This pleases him no end and thus makes me happy and redeems my slow to read this book, mama-self somewhat. The rest are all part of my 5/5 challenge...one more Mary Stewart, one more women in ancient history pov, and two books based on works of art. I've alternately felt the 5/5 challenge as stricture and tent peg. I've read books I normally wouldn't read and enjoyed each of the themes I chose but after I finish up the challenge I shall be content to drift on the winds of literary interest and see where they take me.

I've read two of your books, Robin, House of Spirits and To Kill a Mockingbird. Foucault's Penduluum is one of those books that seemed to be everywhere at one point. I believe we had a family copy during my teen years even. So even though I've not read I feel like I have because I've been around it so much ;)

Jenn, I believe mommiemilkies just read 'The Slow Regard of Silent Things and loved it.

Finished The Gatekeepers this week--the 2002 book that follows Ralph Figueroa and the admissions process at Wesleyan that year. I got a lot out of this book, partly because I am acquainted with some of the people and schools in the book. I don't think my kids need to go to an elite school (thank goodness, since they probably couldn't get in), but I still feel like I got something out of this book. For instance, the admissions bar is set higher for my white kids with well-educated parents, and possibly higher just for being girls. Second, take challenging high school courses, even if you can't get all A's. One girl was hurt by having amazing SAT scores (so she's got talent) but didn't take the hardest classes in her school. Definitely take 4 years of foreign language, math, science. Anyway, good read for me.

Almost done with I am Malala and I'm enjoying that one too. Picked up another Georgette Heyer at the library, Black Sheep, which was supposed to be my next treadmill read after Malala, but it's too fun and I'm already half way through.

Will I ever get back to HOTAW? Stay tuned. There are a few other books I've started and stopped this year and I'm thinking I need to pick up a few of those again (Possession, S.). But Dear Committee Members has arrived for me at the library, so maybe not this week.

I'm only one chapter behind on HoAW!

Kudos to you!

I'm certain I'm going to flunk my own 5/5/5 challenges and that's really annoying.

Perhaps it's time to rename your categories.  Possible suggestions:

Books written by women

Books written by men

Books with authors whose last names start with the letters A through L

Books with authors whose last names start with the letters M through Z

Books with paper covers

and so on.

I'd probably have great success with a challenge if I did it retroactively!

Regards,

Kareni

At the risk of sounding like the BaW group's Official Grump, I must comment on the list of 1000 books one must read before going to the Library in the Sky.

Nota bene:  Robin's list of five looks great and I am not commenting on that!

The problem that I have with these lists of What One Must Do in general is that they tend to reflect a certain popular consciousness--not only with the contemporary books listed but with those mentioned from the past. Further there are multiple selections from numerous authors and neglect of others. For example, as much as I love Hemingway (and am now ducking tomatoes) I cannot imagine expecting anyone who did not enjoy one or two of Papa's novels to read the five on the list!  I have read four of the five Calvino's listed--same comment. 

I am delighted to see some of my beloved Eastern/Central European authors on the list (Kundera, Schulz, Borowski).  But returning to the comment in the previous paragraph, would it be better to have fewer Calvinos or Hemingways in order to include a Carson McCullers or a Sherwood Anderson, American authors who apparently are no longer be in vogue.

That said, the list reminds me that I have never read any Tobias Smollett. The master list contains three: Humphrey Clunker, Peregrine Pickle and Roderick Random.  Maybe I'll challenge VC to join me in reading one of them (and anyone else who wants to read an 18th century picaresque novel). 

The 5/5 challenge is a good reminder to expand one's reading beyond a comfort zone. This year I read three Shaw plays--probably won't read five.  I think that next year I attempt five plays that I have not read previously--not just Shaw.  I'll also carry on with Dorothy Dunnett because I need to finish the Niccolo books.  But other than that, I don't know what I will choose. Hmmmm....

Kudos to you!

Books written by women

Books written by men

Books with paper covers

and so on.

Regards,

Kareni

Good suggestions.  Next year I'm going to take my 5/5/5 challenges seriously and I refuse to fail as I have the last few years.

I'm going to do:

Books written by British authors

Books set during the Regency period

Books where someone gets murdered or falls in love

I like to set myself up for success.  

Perhaps it's time to rename your categories. Possible suggestions:

Books written by women

Books written by men

Books with paper covers

and so on.

Regards,

Kareni

:lol: At the beginning of the year I said I wasn't even going to try to do a 5/5/5 but I keep finding myself enjoying something that would make a good category and then trying to get 5 and failing. If I decide to doe this next year I will need to do some careful planning! ;)

Thanks for the reminder about the next Maiden Lane / Elizabeth Hoyt. It is now showing in the system so have requested it. Glad it was good. I liked the main character during his minor role in the earlier books.

I had several new releases arrive at the library on Friday so I have quite a stack again. Not sure how happy I am about it. I have been loving my fluffy series reading. I admit several of these are fluffy but they come with pressure to return.

At the risk of sounding like the BaW group's Official Grump, I must comment on the list of 1000 books one must read before going to the Library in the Sky.

The problem that I have with these lists of What One Must Do in general is that they tend to reflect a certain popular consciousness--not only with the contemporary books listed but with those mentioned from the past. Further there are multiple selections from numerous authors and neglect of others. For example, as much as I love Hemingway (and am now ducking tomatoes) I cannot imagine expecting anyone who did not enjoy one or two of Papa's novels to read the five on the list!  I have read four of the five Calvino's listed--same comment. 

I am delighted to see some of my beloved Eastern/Central European authors on the list (Kundera, Schulz, Borowski).  But returning to the comment in the previous paragraph, would it be better to have fewer Calvinos or Hemingways in order to include a Carson McCullers or a Sherwood Anderson, American authors who apparently are no longer be in vogue.

That said, the list reminds me that I have never read any Tobias Smollett. The master list contains three: Humphrey Clunker, Peregrine Pickle and Roderick Random.  Maybe I'll challenge VC to join me in reading one of them (and anyone else who want's to read an 18th century picaresque novel). 

The 5/5 challenge is a good reminder to expand one's reading beyond a comfort zone. This year I read three Shaw plays--probably won't read five.  I think that next year I attempt five plays that I have not read previously--not just Shaw.  I'll also carry on with Dorothy Dunnett because I need to finish the Niccolo books.  But other than that, I don't know what I will choose. Hmmmm....

Great thoughts here.  I agree completely except about Hemmingway who is disliked by me.  

*LOL*  "Library in the sky"   I love it!  

Good suggestions.  Next year I'm going to take my 5/5/5 challenges seriously and I refuse to fail as I have the last few years.

I'm going to do:

Books written by British authors

Books set during the Regency period

Books where someone gets murdered or falls in love

I like to set myself up for success.  

I don't know Amy.  Think you could manage five Fluffertons too?

:lol: At the beginning of the year I said I wasn't even going to try to do a 5/5/5 but I keep finding myself enjoying something that would make a good category and then trying to get 5 and failing. If I decide to doe this next year I will need to do some careful planning! ;)

Thanks for the reminder about the next Maiden Lane / Elizabeth Hoyt. It is now showing in the system so have requested it. Glad it was good. I liked the main character during his minor role in the earlier books.

I had several new releases arrive at the library on Friday so I have quite a stack again. Not sure how happy I am about it. I have been loving my fluffy series reading. I admit several of these are fluffy but they come with pressure to return.

I have a suggestion for a 5/5/5 for you.

• 5 books from a series you randomly begin in the middle of the year and hadn't originally planned on reading when you started making 5/5/5 lists

Finished Blood Magick and am almost done with Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full. Started reading Moms Who Drink and Swear on my kindle last night because I couldn't use my brain at all and it seemed like good fluff. We welcomed a 2.5 month old baby boy into our home on Friday so I'm definitely entering the sleep deprivation stage. Therefore, I need fluff. ;) 

Finished Blood Magick and am almost done with Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full. Started reading Moms Who Drink and Swear on my kindle last night because I couldn't use my brain at all and it seemed like good fluff. We welcomed a 2.5 month old baby boy into our home on Friday so I'm definitely entering the sleep deprivation stage. Therefore, I need fluff. ;)

Bless your heart, NoseinABook.

As I read the title, "Treasuring Christ When Your Hands are Full" I thought, well, with a title like that the logical trajectory would be that one's hands could only be replete with Christ. Which is a lovely image.

Thank you for loving and caring for that little child!  

I'm not going to do the five books challenge. I really really need to read for escape and challenges would get in the way of that. My personal challenge is to keep reading, even if it is one paragraph a week, my Nipponzan Myohoji book.

I'm about half way through A Door into Ocean now and still having trouble remembering to breathe. I'm also reading the articles about plants in fish tanks my son keeps sending me from his ship. These two things mesh very nicely lol. I'm not sure Ocean would have grabbed me quite so hard if my own world and everyone in it weren't so water oriented, although I think I would still have loved it because it hits so many issues that worry me and because it is one of the few books I've read which does more than just describe why the bad characters became bad and consider that enough greyness.

Nan

As I recall, because it started in '05.  We could have Amy do fifteen books in fifteen categories next year. 

I'm more likely to pull off 1/52/15

1 category, 52 books, 2015

:coolgleamA:

I have a suggestion for a 5/5/5 for you.

• 5 books from a series you randomly begin in the middle of the year and hadn't originally planned on reading when you started making 5/5/5 lists
  Probably the perfect one for me as long as I don't decide to read five before actually finishing number five. Still can't believe how hard it was to read five off the Booker Long List.....

So what did you think of Blood Magick? Trying to decide if I should finish that trilogy but as I haven't been very enthusiastic regarding the first two.....don't think you were either.

I adore babies the age of your new foster baby, so sweet to cuddle. Thank you for taking such good care of all your foster children.

I like that list but I had the same thoughts as Jane.  There seemed to be the same authors listed throughout.  There were some amazing titles that were omitted.  Regardless, I would like to try to read some of them.  I'll see what I can do for next year.

Chris,  I am not a big Austen fan.   I have read  some of her books but it  seems that I like the idea of Jane Austen, rather than her actual books.  The same can be said for Tolkien.  I love reading about him but I am not a big fan of LotR.

I finished Booked by Karen Swallow Prior.  it is a book about books and one of the better ones that I have read.   I also finished  The Headmaster's Wife  by Thomas Christopher Greene.  This one struck a nerve with me.  I liked it a great deal.

I am now reading Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeymi and I am liking this more  than I thought I would.   I am also reading  A Jane Austen Education (see I like the idea of her) but the book isn't  with me at the moment and I can't remember the author's name.

I am also reading  The Canterbury Tales with my oldest.

I like that list but I had the same thoughts as Jane.  There seemed to be the same authors listed throughout.  There were some amazing titles that were omitted.  Regardless, I would like to try to read some of them.  I'll see what I can do for next year.

Yeah. Did you notice that the one Willa Cather they included was The Professor's House? Now I want to be a fly on the wall when the reviewers make these decisions.

What an odd list. I have read about 90, with pieces of about 10 more. Looking at the list makes me wonder what I missed when I read some of them. The hedgehog one, for instance. I can think of many more I would put in its place. But perhaps, as I said, I missed the point? Sometimes I just take what I want and ignore the rest of a book.

Nan

What an odd list. I have read about 90, with pieces of about 10 more. Looking at the list makes me wonder what I missed when I read some of them. The hedgehog one, for instance. I can think of many more I would put in its place. But perhaps, as I said, I missed the point? Sometimes I just take what I want and ignore the rest of a book.

Nan

I liked The Elegance of the Hedgehog but there is no way I would have included it on my list! The more I contemplate this one, the more I think that the list is bizarre.  It has me wondering if some of the reviewers are a wee bit short sighted.  A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian is a fun book but not one that should make this list!

Dropped by Barnes and Noble today after a long book buying fast and happily found several books in series I've been reading. .

Picked up #18 in Lee Child's Jack Reacher series Never Go Back, The first book in a new series Spook Squad by Keri Arthur - Memory Zero, #4 in Nicholas Flamel The Necromancer, Koontz # 3 in Frankenstein - Dead or Alive and Cleo Coyle's Coffee house mystery # 13 Billionaire Blend.  :hurray:

Ok, this will sound weird, but where else can I say this but in the company of readers - I think I'm just starting to get over the expectation that life will be like a novel. Or maybe that a novel is the same as real life.

In real life, Eleanor won't have a Park. But it's OK for Eleanor to have Park in a book.

There's a convoluted stock pot metaphor coming next, so I'll spare you :) Something about novels having an essence of real life, but with all the bones and the onions and the carrots strained out. Lol. Ramblings.

Wait -- what?  It's not?  

:lol:

Books written by women

Books written by men

Books with paper covers

and so on.

Brilliant.

5 books in each of 5 categories--got it. But there must be a meaning for the third 5? This will drive me crazy. Why is it called 5/5/5?

So glad you asked.  I wondered this for two full years but was too embarrassed to ask.

Turns out...

As I recall, because it started in '05. 

_______

We could have Amy do fifteen books in fifteen categories next year. 

:laugh: .  

I've appreciated the getting-out-of-my-usual-reading-routine aspect of the 5/5/......? challenge, and am doing OK overall with the marked exception of Philosophy.  I took a bunch of intimidating tomes out of the library the other day but thus far they have not called to me.  We'll see.

I haven't figured out what I'll do next year, except for one thing.  For all works of fiction, I'm going to keep track of whether or not they meet the Bechdel test criteria.  I blame Violet Crown back on the joke thread for this inspiration.

Two books that I read and enjoyed over the past few days:

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you - suits my mood right now so downloaded it.

You know what's weird. I've started out the past few years with a chunky.  Don't know why. Maybe it's a sense of accomplishment that I started the year out with a hard book or maybe just want to get it out of the way. :lol:

Working on 'Lavinia' as I mentioned yesterday. And dealing with fleas on the new pup. She's cream-colored so I can actually see them crawling around. Double shudder  :eek:  Our other dog is black and goes through periods of occasional itching depending on the season but I can't see his fleas, so out of sight out of mind right?  ;)  Not so with this little girl. So off to the pet store we went today to get a nasty topical flea treatment which will take care of them--only temporarily I might add--but with a toxic load no doubt. Blech. I spent yesterday in a funk because of this. Not sure why it bothered me so much. I'm a pet person, it's not like I've not dealt with fleas many times before. I think it's because I realize there's just no winning the war with fleas. If your pet doesn't have them someone else's does or else they're having a gay old time in your yard. Hrumph.

ETA Who here sleeps with their pets? I recently read some pretty disturbing articles on the dangers of this. I've always slept with my pets but since little missy is now a flea hotel that's not an option for a bit. After that I'm not sure now.

Revolution flea control which you only have to dose your pet once a month is marvelous. Highly recommend it. We have 4 cats and nary a flea problem.  Our cats do sleep with us - they all have a favorite person.  The girls sleep with James and the boys like to sleep with us.

Also thinking ahead to next year--can anyone explain to me how a 5/5/5 challenge works?

It all started out I think in 2008 or 09 with the book bloggers who came up with read x books in x categories in year x.  When it got be a double digit year, the consensus around here was 5 was easier to manage and we've stuck with it.  

My issue exactly. There are just some books on the list that I would never read.  But I also had to scratch my head over swb's list of great lists in wem. Some of the fiction one's were just too eh.... :leaving:

Probably the perfect one for me as long as I don't decide to read five before actually finishing number five. Still can't believe how hard it was to read five off the Booker Long List.....

So what did you think of Blood Magick? Trying to decide if I should finish that trilogy but as I haven't been very enthusiastic regarding the first two.....don't think you were either.

I adore babies the age of your new foster baby, so sweet to cuddle. Thank you for taking such good care of all your foster children.

My 2 cents on Blood Magick.  If you were lukewarm with the first two, you probably won't like #3.  I usually love all her stories but this one I just couldn't wait to finish.  I didn't like the main couple very much which didn't help.

Hmmm, not sure if it was a quiet or busy week here.  It was a migraine week, and that means lots of meds and very little brain or memory activity.  I did finish The Purity of Vengeance by Jussi Adler-Olsen.  It was okay.  I like Carl, Rose, and Assad, so even if the plot leaves me feeling kind of meh, I enjoy the characters and their interaction with each other.

I pulled out The Secret History by Donna Tartt last night.  (And thanks to librarything.com I was actually able to find it!) It's a re-read for me, but I haven't read it in well over 10 years, so I'm curious how I'll feel about it this time around.  (Did I mention that my daughter is a classical philology major?)

Well, I enjoyed reading through the 1,001 books list. As already mentioned, I'm curious as to why there would be any repeats on there. There are so many books, so many authors through time that surely a list can come up with 1,001 separate authors? That said, it was fun to see some of the ones on there & I had a fun trip down memory lane seeing some (for ex, Lazarillo de Tormes, which I read in Spanish oh so many, many years ago). Definitely saw some old favorites on there, some that I really hated too. :lol: I think I read about 90 or so of them, with another 20 or so clocking in as 'partially' read (either I only read sections for a class or I ended up abandoning it without finishing because I didn't like it). I did see a few on there that I already have in my current to-read pile....

I've been in a decluttering/purging mood the past couple of weeks & that extends to my books. I meant to get much more done this weekend re: going through my books, but didn't get nearly as far as I had hoped. Still, I have two bags of books to donate to the library, a bunch I've sent out through PaperbackSwap in the past week or two, & a few others that I've dispersed. I still have way too many here (I know that's sacrilege to say on a BaW thread); I'm so used to using the library as often as I can that I don't like it when my books pile up too much. Of course, I keep some old favorites & some that are new that I still want to read, but I seem to have a glut of what I'd term as 'meh' books -- books I wanted to read at one time, but that now don't seem that appealing to me. (Does anyone else end up in this situation?) I'm trying to decide whether or not just to get them out the door (my preference) or keep them around awhile longer to see if I do end up wanting to read them. I suspect that within another week or two I'll be making some more major book donations to the library & will be happier once my bookshelves have a little bit of breathing room.

Tonight, I started a light steampunk book from my piles, The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow. Not very far into it yet, but am totally enjoying it.

Publishers Weekly Starred Review:

Multigenre talent Saintcrow (Angel Town) launches a delicious steampunk alternate London that pays more than a little stylistic homage to Sherlock Holmes, adding additional excitement in the form of magical duels, backstreet chases, battles with giant mecha, and confrontations with ancient wyrms and gryphons. Emma Bannon, a sorceress working for the spirit of Britannia and her current physical vessel, Queen Victrix, is given two tasks: collect and protect Dr. Archibald Clare, an unregistered but skilled mentath (logic genius), and find out who’s behind the recent deaths of several mentaths and sorcerers. Bannon slowly begins to trust Clare, and as he uses his significant mental powers to work through the nonmagical pieces of the investigation, they become a strong team based on mutual respect. The absence of romance means a tighter focus on both action and deduction, and keeps the story appropriate for Saintcrow’s younger fans. Sensual writing, intricate plotting, and sympathetically quirky, satisfyingly competent characters make this series one to watch. Agent: Miriam Kriss, Irene Goodman Literary Agency.

ETA: I didn't do a 5/5/5 this year & probably don't see myself doing one next year either. This year, I've really only done around-the-world reading. I guess I can count myself mostly done (haven't read anything from Antarctica yet), but the point of my exercise for myself is to continue exploring & learning about new authors around the world. I will probably continue down this path next year too. It's a wide enough net that it allows me to read pretty much anything (per Kareni's genres ;) ), while ensuring I keep my eye on writings from all over the Earth.

--------------------------
My Goodreads Page

My rating system:
5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Good/Fine; 2 = Meh; 1 = Don't bother

2014 Most Recently-Read Books:

61. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (5 stars).

62. The Debba by Avner Mandelman (4 stars). Around the World – Middle East (Israel).

63. Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon (4 stars).

64. The Translation of Dr Apelles: A Love Story by David Treuer (3.5 stars). Around the World – North America (United States).

65. Three Scenarios in Which Hana Sasaki Grows a Tail by Kelly Luce (4 stars). Around the World – Asia (Japan).

66. Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto by Gianni Rodari (4 stars). Around the World – Europe (Italy).

67. The Castle in Transylvania by Jules Verne (3 stars).

NoseInABook, :grouphug:  & :hurray:  for you to open your heart & home to another child. You are a reminder to all of us of the beauty & kindness that resides in our world.

MicheleinMN, hope your migraines are gone now. :grouphug:

Loesje & ChrisB, so good to see you gals popping in again. :) 

And, Shukriyya, we're another house where the animals (cats) sleep with us. Please don't tell me anything gross that I don't want to know. :lol:  I'm just going to pretend I didn't read your post & hope that we're just working on building our immune systems here.... :tongue_smilie: :leaving: :blush:

Ali in OR, he's foster but if he becomes available for adoption, he'll stay permanently.

Mumto2, I read it simply to complete the trilogy. If you have nothing better to read, pick it up. Otherwise, it was rather boring and your time could be filled with something more entertaining!

You ladies are all so sweet. I'm the one who is blessed by these children. I learn so much with each one who comes into my home. They're all so very special in their own individual ways and I'm excited to get to know this little one more. He's already settling in well and my bio kids are already madly in love. I may be as well.  :wub: All right, I better shut my laptop and head to bed with a book so I can get a little reading time in before drifting off to dream.

Revolution flea control which you only have to dose your pet once a month is marvelous. Highly recommend it. We have 4 cats and nary a flea problem.  Our cats do sleep with us - they all have a favorite person.  The girls sleep with James and the boys like to sleep with us.

We've used variations on that monthly theme over the years. I can't stand the thought of all that insecticide on their little bodies and then wondering how much of it rubs off on us. Right now we're trying Advantage 11. Where's the advantage I ask? I'll tell you where, with the drug companies and the fleas. Perhaps they're in cahoots together. The fleas have the advantage as far as I can see. They've roamed the earth since the Jurassic period as giant blood-sucking parasites that feasted on dinosaur blood.  Who are we kidding that fleas can be gotten rid of. The racks of flea control medication that must be applied monthly tell the real story. The fleas rule.

And, Shukriyya, we're another house where the animals (cats) sleep with us. Please don't tell me anything gross that I don't want to know. :lol:  I'm just going to pretend I didn't read your post & hope that we're just working on building our immune systems here.... :tongue_smilie: :leaving: :blush:

Do not google. You'll freak yourself out. It never occurred to me to think anything of sleeping with pets beyond the possible dusty paws and doggy/cat kisses until reading some of that info.

Shukriyya, I used Brewer's yeast http://www.wisegeek.com/how-effective-is-brewers-yeast-for-fleas.htm with my dog. He loved it on his food which was a bonus. It wasn't perfect and we didn't live in a warm climate. He did sleep with us but would not go that route ever again, it was heart breaking for all of us when he could no longer get on and off the bed.

Hmmm, not sure if it was a quiet or busy week here.  It was a migraine week, and that means lots of meds and very little brain or memory activity.  

:grouphug: My mother gets migraines -- they are The Worst.  Hope they recede soon.

:iagree: La la la la la la la

In theory, Yoshi is not allowed on any of the furniture.  He has two identical dog beds, one for the kitchen and one for the upstairs hallway, where he can keep an eye out for each one of his peeps from a central location.  All day long he is quite content on his downstairs bed, and when we go to bed he settles happily on his upstairs bed.

In practice, at some point in the wee hours, when my husband and I are in Deep Sleep, he comes sneaking into our room (he has to turn the doorknob to get in) in and v e r y    c a r e f u l l y, without waking either of us, climbs up the bed and nestles by my feet.  When the alarm goes off with NPR, he nudges his head under my limp hand and shakes it until I start scratching him.  Thereafter if I don't get up at a pace he considers reasonable, he progressively steps up his efforts -- pawing my chest, nudging his head under my chin, etc -- until I do.

If my husband awakes during this progression (I get up first) he growls at the dog -- you, again?  Get off my bed!

We've used variations on that monthly theme over the years. I can't stand the thought of all that insecticide on their little bodies and then wondering how much of it rubs off on us. Right now we're trying Advantage 11. Where's the advantage I ask? I'll tell you where, with the drug companies and the fleas. Perhaps they're in cahoots together. The fleas have the advantage as far as I can see. They've roamed the earth since the Jurassic period as giant blood-sucking parasites that feasted on dinosaur blood.  Who are we kidding that fleas can be gotten rid of. The racks of flea control medication that must be applied monthly tell the real story. The fleas rule.

Do not google. You'll freak yourself out. It never occurred to me to think anything of sleeping with pets beyond the possible dusty paws and doggy/cat kisses until reading some of that info.

La la la la la la la...