Menu

If you wanted to supplement Horizons with something "conceptual"...

Sahamamama

We started with Horizons back in K and we're still working through it. We'll probably stick with it this year (Horizons 4) and next (Horizons 5 for 5th grade). I'm not sure about Horizons 6. At present, she doesn't seem to struggle with any of it, picks up concepts well, has strong computation, but I wonder how to help her grow conceptually -- the Big Picture of Math. This is something I certainly do not possess, was never taught, and don't really understand. I admit it, when people talk about "the beauty of math," I just don't get it.

But I think we could see it, if we knew what to do. For example, I was working with a number chart and my 2nd grade twins yesterday. We highlighted every third number, from 0 to 99. There was a diagonal pattern, and we noticed that the numbers above the doubles decreased/increased in the tens and ones, while the numbers below the doubles increased/decreased in the tens and ones. The 7 year olds were excited by this, and I realized it was something I'd never seen. The 4th grader was curious, so we showed her our work. Who knew?

She also works on Kumon workbooks and/or math websites as a way of drilling/practicing. She enjoys those other things, but I don't want her to think of math as a series of workbooks or textbooks.

If you didn't have a strong math background (I don't), and didn't want another full program, what would you use to supplement Horizons for some work in concepts?

Hands-On Equations?

Thinking Blocks? (website)

Khan Academy?

I am in your exact position, ...and we are VERY VERY happy with Zaccaro's Primary!  It is a very easy to use, user friendly, teacher friendly, accessible, not overwhelming book.  BUT it really teaches some very hard out of the box concepts.  Each chapter has a theme, for example, Having enough Money (or something like that)  Then there is a 3 page spread telling a short story which explains the concept.  These are friendly and inviting. Each level then has four problems.  Level 1 is the absolute basic rudiments, maybe for first or 2nd graders or 3rd graders new to problem solving. An example might just be adding the money and subtracting it and seeing how much change.  Level 2 might throw a twist in such as two separate purchases.  Level 3 will have a twist such as converting units.  Genius level will involve converting units, finding an unknown factor, and also making 2-3 steps as far as logical understanding which may involve using a chart, table, drawing, graph or...if the child wants to, A variable.

My 5th grade daughter is just doing Level 3 and then Level 4 problems, and we are skipping all the 1s and 2s.  It has been a really fun challenge and I hope to finish the book this year and then start Zaccarros Middle Grades book next year.

We also use Horizons, and I am cutting back her problems starting this week because it is too much unnecessary drill.  

We also purchased Beast Academy but I am not sure how or where that will fit into the picture.  Perhaps summer, holidays,..not sure.  

HOE would be fun. I am using the Process Skills in Problem Solving books and the 70 Must-Know Word Problems books to stretch problem solving skills.

What about a Zaccaro book! There is now an upper elementary challenge bath book.

Thanks, we'll check it out. I see in your signature that you're using PPG. Pros? Cons? When did you start this? :bigear:

We've been working with a compass and straightedge, making circles, concentric circles, hexagons, and equilateral triangles. We have both enjoyed this.

She also likes Maths Dictionary, Thinking Blocks, and Education Unboxed

Thanks, we'll check it out. I see in your signature that you're using PPG. Pros? Cons? When did you start this? :bigear:

We've been working with a compass and straightedge, making circles, concentric circles, hexagons, and equilateral triangles. We have both enjoyed this.

She also likes Maths Dictionary, Thinking Blocks, and Education Unboxed

I actually haven't started Patty Paper Geometry. I was planning on using it either towards the end of the year OR next year ... I'm trying to stretch out pre-algebra another year after this one for my kid who is not confident in math yet and PPG is pre-geometry. It might be kind of redundant if you're already doing a bunch of pre-geo.

Go with the Zaccaro!

Beast Academy, and start with 3A. If your budget is tight, you should be fine with just getting the practice workbooks.

Ah, you remind me that we have BA 3A and 3B. She looked at it... "weird" was all she said. LOL.

My twins would probably enjoy Beast, but my oldest is my prim-and-proper, conservative child. I'm not sure the beasts are her cup of tea, but there must be a reason I've held onto it, right? ;)

I like what I can see of the Zaccaro books. These might be more her style, but I don't know. I'm not sure she really would adore the idea of "more math." I do know that she at least wants her math to be as straightforward and nonsense-free as possible. She seemed to think BA wasn't that! :) Now that I think of it, she did say, "All that, to get to the math?"

In fact in more than five years of Horizons, her only complaint has been the "random clip art." She'll say, "Why is there random clip art of a coyote howling at the moon on this page? What does that have to do with fractions?" Or, "Why is there random clip art of a purple ice pop on this page? What does that have to do with counting by eights?" And so on. Now we just laugh about it, but in 1st and 2nd, it really bothered her sense of propriety and justice! :svengo:

So OTOH, she needs to break out of the math-as-doing-the-page mindset so promoted by Horizons, and OTOH she strongly dislikes what she perceives as nonsense or time-wasters.

Hmm....

OP, you described my daughter in your last post. We started Horizons with K, now in 6. We tried Beast Academy 3A a couple of years ago and my daughter wanted absolutely no part of it. When she has struggled a little more then I liked with fractions I supplemented with the Key To series to makes sure she was solid, and we have used the Daily Word Problems workbook as a supplement, but otherwise I feel she has a solid foundation so far.

I used the RS Activities for the AL Abacus and the workbook for my preK kids.  We only went up to about 1st grade but it does go much farther.  I like it as an intro or a supplement.  I didn't want to use it as my main source though.  We switched to Singapore Math at about 1st grade.  I'm not sure about doing both SM and Horizons, but I think some folks do this.  If you don't want to do both or switch to SM, you might be able to add in some of the SM supplements.  We are using their Express Math book and their Challenging Word Problems.  They offer another word problem book that explains their methods in more detail, can't remember the name though.  Another interesting option might be the Zaccaro math books.