Menu

Audible suggestions?

nwmama

I've been feeling guilty because I haven't read out loud to my kids as much as I would like and I feel like they are missing out on stories that I want them to know and love. Then I remembered that I have Audible credits that I can use. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I already got Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan read by Jim Dale.

And we have the Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings and all the Harry Potter books.

I especially love really great readers, like the guy who place James Herriot in the tv show does an amazing job reading aloud the books and David Suchet reading Agatha Christie books.

Anyone have any favorite readers?

If you're looking at best-sellers/classics, you might consider Overdrive instead of paying for stuff at Audible.  I'll bet your library is a member.  They have not just e-books, but also a whole raft of audios.

Save Audible for the stuff that's odd or really new.  

Not sure if you are looking for classics only, but my kids are similar in age and this is what they've enjoyed recently (from a mix of audible and overdrive): 

Mrs Piggle Wiggle

Mr Popper's Penguins

The Secret Garden

Pippi Longstocking

101 Dalmations

Ginger Pye

Ramona Quimby collection (awesome deal - many books for only one credit since it's a collection!)

Henry Higgins collection (same!)

How to Train Your Dragon

We also tend to get books from the passages in Writing With Ease, I can usually find them in our library's Overdrive.  Also absolutely anything in the Hank the Cowdog series is very, very popular.  When my oldest two were younger I got them Magic Treehouse Books as well but now I try not to as they're coming up to being able to reading them on their own.  YMMV :-)

I also never used to read as much as I'd like to my kids but by the time I get through 2 1/2 non readers, worth of daily school, I'm wore out lol.  They now listen to audiobooks during breakfast and morning snack and it's amazing how many books we've 'read' so far.  Plus it cuts down on goofing around and arguing at the table!

Not necessarily looking for classics, more for amazing audiobooks. A good classic doesn't always make a good audiobook.

The local library does have Overdrive, I just need to get around to looking into it. Audible is convenient because we have Kindles already. I'm just being lazy about seeing what I need to do to use Overdrive and if I need to get an app, etc.

Not sure if you are looking for classics only, but my kids are similar in age and this is what they've enjoyed recently (from a mix of audible and overdrive): 

Mrs Piggle Wiggle

Mr Popper's Penguins

The Secret Garden

Pippi Longstocking

101 Dalmations

Ginger Pye

Ramona Quimby collection (awesome deal - many books for only one credit since it's a collection!)

Henry Higgins collection (same!)

How to Train Your Dragon

We also tend to get books from the passages in Writing With Ease, I can usually find them in our library's Overdrive.  Also absolutely anything in the Hank the Cowdog series is very, very popular.  When my oldest two were younger I got them Magic Treehouse Books as well but now I try not to as they're coming up to being able to reading them on their own.  YMMV :-)

I also never used to read as much as I'd like to my kids but by the time I get through 2 1/2 non readers, worth of daily school, I'm wore out lol.  They now listen to audiobooks during breakfast and morning snack and it's amazing how many books we've 'read' so far.  Plus it cuts down on goofing around and arguing at the table!

Some of the ones I already have I got from WWE but I knew there had to be more I was forgetting. These are all great ones and are going on my wish list!

Some of our favorites for younger kids with exceptional narrations:

The Bagthorpes: Ordinary Jack

The Indian in the Cupboard

Dragon Rider

The Thief Lord

various stories (King Arthur, Tale of Troy) narrated by Benedict Flynn

various editions of "Great Stories" produced by Your Story Hour (religious content, well produced)

The Thirteen Clocks read by Edward Woodward is good. It feels like a book that should be read aloud.

Neil Gaiman is a good narrator.

EB White reading Trumpet of the Swan is also very good.

I don't know if these books are worth a credit. You could wait until the big Audible sale in December if they are less. I tend to stock up then.

another great source for free audio books is libravox.  it takes some getting used to their format. I recommend searching their website online first and the downloading via iTunes when you know what you want. The audio quality can be hit or miss but my girls are loving the Frank Baum Oz series and they also listened to Anne of Green Gables via libravox. Some of the readers are really excellent. Others are just OK.

My boys adore The Penderwicks and have listened several times.  Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and Odd and the Frost Giants are our two favorites of all times.

And not a audio book, but a story teller fave is Bill Harley. We like his CDs so much, that dh and I have been known to listen when the kids are not around. His story "The Teacher's Lounge" is one of the best I have ever heard...and Weezie and the Moonpies...Oh, they are all great!

Listening in because we are on the 13th and last book of A series of Unfortunate events.(can't see the ages of your kids on my mobile device but I recommend if you have a bit of taste for the absurd :). My DS is 10 and addicted).

Others we've enjoyed (with great readers) are Bud, not Buddy, How to train your Dragon and Wonder.

Of the ones already mentioned: My kids loved listening to Magic Tree House, though the single ones aren't the best use of a credit. The first Percy Jackson series is wonderful, with a great narrator.

Our favorites for younger children not already mentioned:

-- A Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (wonderful, funny narrator)

--Paddington books, narrated by Stephen Fry (works for very young)

--Atticus the Storyteller; wonderful narration (works for very young)

-- Who Was ...series

--d'Aulaires' Greek Mythology (works for very young)

-- Story of Classical Music/Great Composers/More Great Composers

--Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folkales

• 5 weeks later...

all the titles i got were under $8...you have to be a bit crafty with audible.  I only use my credits for the really pricey books. The member price is always cheaper than normal... but there were 3 titles that dropped over $5 from yesterday till today... so I'm happy with that kind of sale.  I use our library for some stuff...  But those I can't keep for very long and I need to have a bunch available in a home library to access as we want.  It's what we use during times when frankly otherwise I'd lose my mind... My son is very challenging and not independent... but very language driven.  He won't leave you alone for longer than 20 seconds... but then you put an engaging audiobook on and he'll lie down for 20-45 minutes...  That's worth a fortune right now!  :) 

This sale doesn't seem that great ... Most titles are still more than I pay for a credit.

See if your library offers audiobook downloads. If you download the mp3 format you can transfer to an iPod or burn to disc to listen in the car.

My husband does this... but I don't have an mp3 player that easily does this... I do this for my escapist books that I put on my phone... but for the kids we check out CD.  I've been trying to put my money back into books so that somehow the royalties make it back to people...  It might be futile... but I've been trying when I can.   None of their sales are worth it if you buy the pricey books... you have to get ones that are under your membership credit amount in order for it to be a good deal.   

I would love to add to our collection of audio books as well.  Do you know where I can see info about their sale?  Thanks :)

I happened to be on there yesterday downloading a book... and went this morning to pull it up on my computer and on the front page was something like a "membership appreciation sale" sign.  All the sale books have red prices.  I know 3 of the books on my wish list dropped greatly from yesterday to this morning... but not all... so I think it's slightly random.  :)

• 1 month later...

My 4 year old DD is obsessed with Ramona as read by Stockard Changing. She says she is going to listen to it every day until she goes to college. My 8 yo DS loves How to Train Your Dragon series and I do too. Two words: David Tennant. Yes please.

I was busy traveling during the holiday and just got back on the forum and found this. You just made my day! How to Train Your Dragon to make the kids happy and The Doctor to make me happy!