Menu

I want to take a meal with dietary restrictions

Danestress

I want to take a grain-free meal to a friend.  It needs to be something I can leave several hours early that can be reheated before serving.  All the people who will be eating it are adults, so it doesn't have to be kid-friendly, but the adults try to be mostly grain, sugar, and dairy free. 

I think I am blocked by the feeling that if you take someone soup, it's sort of weird not to include bread, or that if you take a dinner, it should have a dessert. Mentally, I know that's not really true, but I do want to take what feels like a complete meal.  

Also, the reason the family could use a meal is because of an injury that includes a hand, so something easy to eat would be nice.  I just can't seem to think tonight!

If she needs it to be grain free, is there a possibility for cross contamination? If so, I would buy something rather than make something, as even trace amounts of, say, gluten can be dangerous to somebody with celiac or an allergy.

But if it's a matter of personal choice more than a strict medical need, chili, as stated, is easy to make and easy to eat. With some nice fruit for "dessert".

If they are used to reducing grains, though, a stew and salad won't seem strange to them. And they will really appreciate it that you didn't tempt them with things they are trying to leave off, and cause them to mess up their diet changes. Leaving off that dessert will be appreciated! If they eat fruit, you could add some fresh fruit as a dessert.

If she needs it to be grain free, is there a possibility for cross contamination? If so, I would buy something rather than make something, as even trace amounts of, say, gluten can be dangerous to somebody with celiac or an allergy.

But if it's a matter of personal choice more than a strict medical need, chili, as stated, is easy to make and easy to eat. With some nice fruit for "dessert".

No, she said they are not strict, and she only mentioned it because I asked if there are foods they dislike. So she said they try not to eat grains, dairy or sugar, but are flexible especially at social events. So I can cook it myself without stressing about cross contamination, but I do want to take something that doesn't make them feel like they have to "cheat" on their eating goals. 

Meatloaf and smashed potatoes? My meatloaf recipe uses eggs for the binder instead of bread crumbs, yum!

Salad with grilled chicken breast (easy to warm up)

Baked potatoes with toppings like chili, bacon, steamed broccoli , mushrooms, olives

Sounds so yummy...but some definitions of dairy include eggs. Pooh. I love meatloaf. But I'm egg-allergic.

What is odd to you is not odd to them. Bring your yummy soup or whatever eithout the bread or crackers.

Confession: I never remember to put out bread it crackers with my soup as I don't eat wheat. It just seems so ... odd!! :0)