Menu

SAT/ACT testing question

This is a noobie question for sure, but....I believe that one can test per subject, per grade? Is this correct or is it just one massive test that students begin taking in 11th grade through 12th to try to get the best score possible?

How does one ensure that their kiddo is learning all that they need to in order to perform well on these tests? 

I am starting to map out high school courses for my kiddo and I am curious how to best lay it all out!

There is no "grade level" ACT or SAT. The regular SAT, and also the ACT, is one test. Some students take it for teh first time as early as 7th grade; many in 10th grade. 12th grade is cutting things very close; only the earliest fall test date gets scores in time for college applications.

There are also SAT 2 subject tests that test high school level mastery of single subjects. A student can sign up for up tpo three subject tests per test date; each test lasts one hour. These serve as outside validation of homeschool grades, and are requested by some, but not all, colleges. Typically only selective schools require their applicants to take SAT 2 subject test.

In order to perform well on the regular SAT, the student needs solid math (algebra and geometry) and solid English language mastery, plus targeted test prep a few weeks before the test.

The ACT has a science section, but it is not science content knowledge that is tested, but reading comprehenasion and understanding of graphs and charts.

I would also like to recommend that you get your student ready for taking the ACT or SAT by giving them some timed bubble tests. It will get them used to working effeciently with limited time and will get them used to the format (however they are moving to computer format in some testing areas). We did standardized testing every year for our evals and it had to side benefit of making them comfortable with the ACT format and time limits. Hope this helps! :)

This is a noobie question for sure, but....I believe that one can test per subject, per grade? Is this correct or is it just one massive test that students begin taking in 11th grade through 12th to try to get the best score possible?

How does one ensure that their kiddo is learning all that they need to in order to perform well on these tests? 

I am starting to map out high school courses for my kiddo and I am curious how to best lay it all out!

There may be some confusion with the SAT label.  The SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) is administered by College Board and described by previous posters.

In some states homeschooled students that are required to submit nationally normed test scores at the end of the year also take SATs.  These are the Stanford tests.  (I forget the full acronym.)  They cover a variety of subjects and are administered by grade level.

Unfortunately both tests are called SATs by people.  I think you are probably looking for the College Board SAT which is used for college admissions purposes.  But your local district or homeschool group may discuss the other SATs for  high schoolers as well.