Menu

So what is out there for writing?

My son is kind of the opposite.  He does not like creative writing so much.  Although he does like to slip some humor in (no clue where he got that from *cough*).  But yeah his writing is generally pretty decent.  Probably the biggest problem I have is coming up with topics.

Since his writing is fine, and you are okay with editing/helping him work on it -- have you thought about Galore Park English books?  Maybe Junior English 3 or So You Really Want to Learn English 1?  Totally secular, great base texts, includes a gentle amount of spelling/grammar, lots of variety in texts they read and what they produce.  Also oral presentations (not all would be easy to do in a homeschool setting, but some would be straightforward).  I emailed boardie Laura Corin about it recently; she mentioned that she spread the writing assignments throughout each chapter (they sort of come bunched up at the end, or in the middle) and found it prepared her children well for writing.

-- general note, if a thread-reader has a child who is writing-resistant: you'd probably want to get over that hump with a more-structured program first, then pick up GP materials.  Laura said she did this with one child --  

Also great value, for a year of instruction.  I think you can get them from bookdepository or Horrible Ray's without having to pay crazy shipping.  Sometimes Amazon has them.  Finally: I've heard some like the answer books for SYRWTL level, not sure about that. 

Ugh.  I still have not found anything I like the looks of.

Classical Writing does not appear to be secular.  First chapter in the 8th grade book goes on to explain why young Christians should read pagan literature.  Yeah, that's not going to fly with my son. 

Would you be opposed to a method such as IEW? This book is what the program is based upon, and I believe it wouldn't contain any religious material.