Menu

It's that time of year again (teacher gifts)

musicianmom

I think I'd have fewer teacher gifts to buy if my kids were in school!

Between tutorial, music, dance, and Sunday School, I'm responsible for seventeen teacher gifts this Christmas.  What can I give for less than $10 each that doesn't make me look like a total cheapskate? It's not as though the recipients realize how many gifts we're handing out. 

I've done:

A nice bottle of lotion from Bath & Body.

Some really nice, fancy soap made by local artisans that I wrapped up in my own pretty package. 

Home made Jelly.

Christmas ornaments if I know they put up a tree.

Pretty flowering plant.

I think something consumable is best so they can use it up and it doesn't add to the clutter.

I make cookies--the Andes mint recipe I got from this board years ago (old board). I know some people would probably rather not receive more sweets/food, but I figure they can share with family, take it to the break room, etc. I have received so many requests for the recipe that I now include that, so they are a popular cookie. I just give a dozen to each of the aides/teachers in my disabled dd's classroom, plus a few others like the bus driver. It's up to about 12-15 people--that's just too many people for even a $5 gift card for our Christmas budget.

(Because I mentioned a recipe I will post it here per unwritten board rules. Makes 56 cookies.):

Andes Mint Cookies
  • 28 Andes Mints (1 box), halved
  • ¾ cup butter
  • 1 ½ cups brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 ½ cups flour
  • 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda

In saucepan, heat and mix butter, sugar, and water. Add chocolate chips and stir until partially melted. Remove from heat and continue to stir until all chips are melted. Pour into bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Beat in eggs at high speed. Add remaining ingredients and beat to blend. Chill dough for 1 hour. Line baking sheets with foil. Roll dough in 1" balls and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Place an unwrapped half mint on each cookie as you remove them from the oven. As soon as the mints have softened, spread them over the cookies with a knife.

I can tell you things I really enjoy receiving............

Starbucks gift cards

Homemade cookies or candy

Plants (more of a spring gift, though)

Restaurant gift cards

Christmas ornaments

But please, I have no place for any more coffee mugs....

and my favorite things include something handwritten by the child.

Some things I enjoyed receiving in my teaching days:

- $5-10 Starbucks gift card

- $5-10 book store gift card

- small calendars (like the kind that you can set up on a desk - decorative but easy to tuck into small spaces)

- small packages of notecards

- anything handmade by a child (artwork, an ornament, panted cup to hold pens on my desk, etc.)

- handmade food items, especially if accompanied by a recipe!!

- thank you notes... you really, really can't go wrong with a thank you note written by your child

And as a BTW, I never though of parents as cheapskates.  It was always lovely to be remembered at holiday season or end of year, but I don't think I could name which students did/did not give gifts in any year nor do I remember thinking "how cheap" if a parent or a child took the time to think of a gift. 

But I will echo that consumable is best, unless you have an ongoing relationship with a teacher and know their tastes, etc.

A casserole (or soup/chili/etc.) that can go in the freezer and be pulled out when she does not have time to cook during this crazy season.  Someone did that for us one a week or so before Christmas, and it was the most awesome gift.  I stuck it into the freezer and pulled it out a few days later.  So nice not to have to sweat over dinner one night.  

We've done Target, Starbucks, and Barnes and Noble gift cards…but the one that seemed to be most liked was a Sephora gift card.  (Even with $10, you can get something. :))

We did Trader Joe's drinking chocolate and lovely soaps packaged together one year, too.

Usually my kids make the card for their teacher.  

In the past my boys have made cards with personal notes inside.  I like to give gifts but I just can't give one to everyone.  To be honest I think the list of people that I have read you should give to is exhausting and not possible for most people.

You've had some great suggestions OP and I hope you find something that works for your family.  Remember, you shouldn't feel obligated to give every coach, club leader, teacher, and instructor a gift.

What? Um...how about nothing? Maybe I'm naive, but really, everyone gives teachers gifts? All 17 teachers? For real? I've been a Sunday School teacher and in the 7 years I did it, no one gave me a single gift, nor would I have ever expected it.

Perhaps your child's primary academic teacher, perhaps, ought to get a gift, but anyone else? No. Where is this coming from? Is this normal where you are? I never gave a single teacher a gift in all my years of schooling as a child. Have things changed since then (granted it's been awhile)?

I do try my best to see all sides of a situation, but in this case I'm having trouble. I don't see the point in getting everyone gifts. Is gifts your love language? Am I waaaay off the mark here? I don't think I am, but stranger things have happened.

I was surprised about this too but yes, apparently everyone does. I know a teacher and her salary isn't that high--it's about the same as mine but she's had more expenses living near the school, etc. She said she wouldn't get to go to Starbucks (and this is true--I know her) if it weren't for those gift cards.

We'll be doing homemade cards and $5 gift certificates this year.

Most students do not give gifts where we are.  Some do cards - usually they are home made.  I enjoy these.  One gave me a nice necklace she had made just for me.  She was a middle schooler, but was very talented with making real jewelry.  I still have it and enjoy wearing it.  Another student gave me a gift card to a small cafe/shop her mother ran.  Hubby and I had a nice lunch there one day.  There have been a handful of other gifts, but those two are the most memorable.

A Starbucks gift card would be worthless to me.  I've never been in one and don't plan to start.  (I'd regift the card to one of my boys if I were to get one, so it's not entirely worthless.)

When we give small gifts (generally not to teachers, but to others), we tend to choose Lindt truffles - variety bag.

What? Um...how about nothing? Maybe I'm naive, but really, everyone gives teachers gifts? All 17 teachers? For real? I've been a Sunday School teacher and in the 7 years I did it, no one gave me a single gift, nor would I have ever expected it.

Perhaps your child's primary academic teacher, perhaps, ought to get a gift, but anyone else? No. Where is this coming from? Is this normal where you are? I never gave a single teacher a gift in all my years of schooling as a child. Have things changed since then (granted it's been awhile)?

I do try my best to see all sides of a situation, but in this case I'm having trouble. I don't see the point in getting everyone gifts. Is gifts your love language? Am I waaaay off the mark here? I don't think I am, but stranger things have happened.

I thought the same thing.  Thinking of some of the teachers my kids have (drama, art, music, etc.) I have never seen anyone give them gifts. 

Former teacher here...

$5 card for a bookstore with a cafe

Note cards

A note of thanks from parent

Drawing/note from student

What I saw overdone:

Coffee mugs

Anything with apples

To overdone I'd add scented lotions, etc. The teachers I know frequently give them away or leave them in the classroom for the students.

When I taught, unless someone was going to buy something very useful for my classroom or music studio, I have to say that I almost dreaded this time of year because I received a barrage of trinkets or so much sweet stuff that it staggered the imagination. I loved that the parents and students wanted to do something, but the something in the form of a bazillion kids all bringing cookies, cakes, candies, and tons of knick knacks was difficult.

What I loved were things like large, colored paperclips to replenish my supply without having to dip into my own pocket, new dry erase markers and particularly if the parents found other colors besides red, green, black, and blue, printer paper for the music studio because I went through A LOT, fruit or veggies, sometimes a freezer casserole which was so nice because then I would have an evening that I could just thaw and warm instead of meal plan and cook, small amounts of specialty coffee or even two or three sample sizes put together, gifts of service - one mom offered to wrap up to 10 medium size gifts, 15 small, or 5 large gifts for me and WOW did I love that and her gift wrapping was very nice too - etc. One year all of the parents in my third and fourth grade choir (this amounted to 72 students) got together and decided to each give me $5.00 Target gift cards. That was WONDERFUL! $350.00 at Target. Woot! That was fun. My music studio parents all chipped in - so again it probably only came to $5.00 per student - for tickets for Dh and I to see Canadian Brass at orchestra hall in Detroit. I loved that for certain.

Do not buy Christmas ornaments. Teachers and coaches love the kids but cannot deal with 40 new ornaments every single year of their teaching careers. Things that have to find a place on a shelf so that the student is not offended when he or she can't see it are also no-no's. Do not bring plates of cookies, dozens of cupcakes, and endless boxes of fudge and candy. We can't consume all of that. You won't be the only family doing this, and it amounts to a health shattering amount of sugar which means that we promptly go around to our neighbors and try to give the bulk of it away. It's not that we don't appreciate it, we just simply can't manage the consumption or desire to consume all of that when you consider the staggering number of moms who will do that. Again, though, if you make a casserole we can stick in the freezer using a pan you don't care about getting back so we don't have to remember it, we will love that a lot.

Also, even small gift cards to practical places are welcome. Really. I am thrilled when the teens I tutor buy a $5.00 gift certificate to my hair salon for me. It adds up and each year, I can treat myself to the half hour light facial with the hand massage which is DIVINE! :001_smile:

I think I'd have fewer teacher gifts to buy if my kids were in school!

Between tutorial, music, dance, and Sunday School, I'm responsible for seventeen teacher gifts this Christmas. What can I give for less than $10 each that doesn't make me look like a total cheapskate? It's not as though the recipients realize how many gifts we're handing out.

Who says you're responsible for giving all those teachers gifts?

It's definitely not my love language, lol! This is what people do around here. The pressure is immense.

It's definitely not my love language, lol! This is what people do around here. The pressure is immense.

What does that immense pressure to give gifts to everyone who has any regular contact with your kids look like? I can't fathom it coming from the teachers themselves. I don't know how other parents would even know whether we gave a gift to DDs' teachers or not.

I think most of those people on your list would be happy with a nice card, honestly.

I would cut back. The only people we gift to (that are teaching dd something) are her piano teacher (who is quite extraordinary, and our church organist and choir director), and her teacher in elementary (and I think most of the time we did a group donation).

But people gift to others all the time here. When I walked dogs, I got $100 at Christmas from ONE family. I got the same amt from ONE family in my former preschool class, too--and lots of gifts in-between.

Give what makes you happy, what you can afford, and what you are comfortable giving, but do so out of joy,not obligation. Truly, classy people (and I assume your teachers are classy...) won't expect a large/fancy gift, and will be grateful even for a card.

Although if you think about it, how many odd gifts do any of these people need?  I wouldn't want several plates of baked goods.  I wouldn't even want a random smattering of $5 gift cards because that always requires I spend more than $5 to use it in full. 

I guess I'm just practical.  If you want to spend $10 each.  Give them $10 each.  Everyone can use cash.  LOL

A teacher here who would love to get ANY of these gifts... :)

Pinteresty ideas (white chocolate covered pretzels in a mason jar decorated like a snowman, homemade soaps/bath fizzies, etc), a couple of mini lotions from Bath and Body Works, a cute mug with a flavored coffee or hot chocolate package, etc. 

I know someone said coffee mugs are over done, but I've only ever received 2 in my years as a teacher.
Baked goods ARE a hit or miss because there are some families I would NOT eat anything from - I don't even eat birthday cupcakes from that student (even though they come from the store!). If you are very familiar with them and have a good relationship, then baked goods are ok. 

Although if you think about it, how many odd gifts do any of these people need?  I wouldn't want several plates of baked goods.  I wouldn't even want a random smattering of $5 gift cards because that always requires I spend more than $5 to use it in full. 

I guess I'm just practical.  If you want to spend $10 each.  Give them $10 each.  Everyone can use cash.  LOL

If I have cash, I don't treat myself. It goes to groceries. :) If I get a gift card to Starbucks, then I treat myself to a latte that I don't normally buy. 

Another former teacher here--PLEASE, no coffee mugs, no Christmas ornaments/decorative items, and absolutely nothing with apples or that says "2 teach is 2 touch a life 4 ever."  Please.  Have mercy. 

A hand made thank you note or drawing from the child is fine.  Really.  I still have some that make me smile; I got rid of the snowman coffee mug and the reindeer candle.

Or ask if you can donate towards a need for the classroom.

Another former teacher here--PLEASE, no coffee mugs, no Christmas ornaments/decorative items, and absolutely nothing with apples or that says "2 teach is 2 touch a life 4 ever."  Please.  Have mercy. 

HAHA - I toss the cheesy teacher slogan items when the year is out. 

I guess I'm weird. I am always buying cute coffee mugs, so I don't mind getting them either - but I prefer if they come with a Starbucks gift card! 

A casserole (or soup/chili/etc.) that can go in the freezer and be pulled out when she does not have time to cook during this crazy season.  Someone did that for us one a week or so before Christmas, and it was the most awesome gift.  I stuck it into the freezer and pulled it out a few days later.  So nice not to have to sweat over dinner one night.  

sometimes a freezer casserole which was so nice because then I would have an evening that I could just thaw and warm instead of meal plan and cook, small amounts of specialty coffee or even two or three sample sizes put together, gifts of service - one mom offered to wrap up to 10 medium size gifts, 15 small, or 5 large gifts for me and WOW did I love that and her gift wrapping was very nice too - etc. 

I really appreciate this thread every year.  That was me recalling that I'd received a casserole one year that I loved, and then Faith's noting the same thing, make me want to go whip up a batch of something similar for teacher and coaches (more coaches than teachers) gifts this year.  I make a mean baked ziti that freezes beautifully, so I think it's ziti for everyone this year.  Thanks!

I like to give gifts to teachers because I remember how special it made me feel to receive a few gifts when I was a teacher. It didn't really matter what it was, it was just nice to feel appreciated. I only got coffee mugs once--a set of two that I love and still have. They are slightly smaller than others--perfect for hot cocoa! I loved the candy canes decorated as reindeer--pipe cleaner antlers, googly eyes & red mini-pom nose glued on the hook end. I didn't always eat food I was given (especially if it had nuts), but I always appreciated the thought behind it. This was all before the age of gift cards--I know I would have loved receiving those too.  

The aides in a special needs classroom work hard for not much pay, and ours are so loving and supportive of these kids. The world often overlooks both these kids and the wonderful people who work with them--I want them to feel special and appreciated.

I will add that I also give out the cookies a day or two before break begins. I know teachers can be inundated that last day before the holidays.

The girls and I are making baby food jar candle holders for dd1's teachers. Dd1 is helping with the modge podge and dd2 is going to help rip up the tissue paper. Though I'm not sure if the jars will really be candle holders or if we will put something else in them. I plan on getting some chalk board paint to paint the lids so the teachers can use them for whatever they want :)

The girls and I are making baby food jar candle holders for dd1's teachers. Dd1 is helping with the modge podge and dd2 is going to help rip up the tissue paper. Though I'm not sure if the jars will really be candle holders or if we will put something else in them. I plan on getting some chalk board paint to paint the lids so the teachers can use them for whatever they want :)

Fyi...if you think it might ever be washed look for waterproof mod podge. With regular the stuff all washes off. I haven't used waterproof but I think that's the point.

In my case, treats and cookies are welcome because I stick them in my freezer for kids snacks, or if gotten early enough, we use them on Sundays for our family Advent time. (We don't have dietary issues.) I use candles the same way. One year a student gave me dishcloths that she knitted herself. I love and still use them regularly.

I think in my own "circles of education", giving gifts to teachers is a bit of a luxury that many can not afford.

Target (or Safeway - closest big supermarket chain) gift cards for every single teacher. In the last few years, many of them told us not to give them cookies, candies or other edible stuff. So, we email other parents and collect the $ that they want to give and pool it into one gift card at these places. We are repeatedly told how much they are appreciated.

A hand made thank you note or drawing from the child is fine.  Really.  I still have some that make me smile; I got rid of the snowman coffee mug and the reindeer candle.

Or ask if you can donate towards a need for the classroom.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

My mother even decided when I was teaching that she should buy me about nine million apple items for my kitchen. Sigh....so overdone to death that it staggers the imagination. And yes, a donation to the classroom would be one of the best ideas yet.

I preferred, from my kinders, artwork. I hung it on a clothesline in the room for a month and then took it home. I have a file cabinet drawer of those precious articles that I assume my children will have to toss when I expire because I am too sentimental to toss them! LOL

Oh, and also, those homemade craft ornaments are out. The time that I received nineteen Christmas ornaments made from dog bone treats was really just tooooo much. Really. We love our students; we do not need mice invading our ornament boxes and will toss those things in the garbage within 24 hours. What is a woman to do with 19 dog biscuit ornaments and NO DOG? :svengo:

We do buy Christmas gifts for a few teachers- almost always a $5 gift card to Chick-fil-A. I buy a grocery store gift card for the vegan so she can buy ingredients for her smoothies, sometimes a $5 gift card to a gas station. ALways with a hand-written note from the kids.

I don't care if they think we're cheap. All of my kids' teachers are paid.  I am not opposed to a Christmas bonus for them- they work hard and well- but I can barely afford the classes, so $5 it is for us.

LOL.  This brought back memories.  

When I taught kids locally, I got everything.  And I mean everything from regifted candy (one piece was missing) to a vase that looked like an octopus had grabbed it (random circles all over it).  I'm not really a flower person, in that situation, but I got lots of flowers.  And I got clothing.  And mugs.  And lots of candy (I'm a prediabetic).  And framed photographs.  One time I got a Santa Claus vase in a gift bag.  Not knowing what it was, I had one of the kids in my glass help carry things out to the van.  He dropped everything, and then I had a Santa Claus vase in pieces in a gift bag.  At least there was a tag on the bag.

The cards I saved.  And gift cards or food like bread, popcorn, and nuts were appreciated.  But oh, the "stuff."  When we remodelled, I threw out a bunch of it!

Oh, and also, those homemade craft ornaments are out. The time that I received nineteen Christmas ornaments made from dog bone treats was really just tooooo much. Really. We love our students; we do not need mice invading our ornament boxes and will toss those things in the garbage within 24 hours. What is a woman to do with 19 dog biscuit ornaments and NO DOG? :svengo:

Yes, I got a bunch of those one year.  They went right out the door...

:lol:

My mom used to teach 3rd grade. I can remember helping her declutter at some point after she retired - and the boxes of things from her students over the years - things like an elaborate wreath made out of carefully glued together plastic forks - she wanted to toss it but couldn't bring herself to because she could just imagine all the time it took for someone to glue together.

Is this normal where you are? I never gave a single teacher a gift in all my years of schooling as a child. Have things changed since then (granted it's been awhile)?

It's not mandatory, but, yes, we always gave token somethings to most or all of our kids' teachers. It seems pretty normal among the folks we know. 

A typical year might have included gifts for:

• three or four dance teachers
  • two choir directors
  • two or three youth group facilitators
  • the pianist at church who accompanied my son when he sang for Christmas eve services

When the kids were really little, we often gave something they had made along with a nice card. For several years, they made ornaments, for example. 

As they got older and developed longer term relationships with some teachers/directors, we moved toward more substantive gifts. I usually baked something or packaged up some kind of food item, which we gave with a nice card and often a gift card in a small-ish denomination ($10-15).

The specifics and amounts varied from year to year, depending on the number of people on the list and our financial situation. Some years were a loaf of home-made bread and a Christmas card. But we always tried to give at least something.

Edit: My son received his first few teacher gifts last year, and it made him really happy. He mostly got gift cards in $5 increments to Starbucks (which he sold to me) and Subway and places like that. It made him feel like an official teacher.

I really appreciate this thread every year. That was me recalling that I'd received a casserole one year that I loved, and then Faith's noting the same thing, make me want to go whip up a batch of something similar for teacher and coaches (more coaches than teachers) gifts this year. I make a mean baked ziti that freezes beautifully, so I think it's ziti for everyone this year. Thanks!

Well I teach at the wrong school!

My favorite--hand written notes, Starbucks gift cards, chipotle gift card , hand written notes, chocolate, hand lotion, did I mention hand written notes?