Menu

I want the "mother of all drying racks."

Lucy the Valiant

I've been happy with ones from IKEA for a decade plus but I don't know what their current models are like or if they have the same ones. I'd be reticent to pay the almost $50 on Amazon for that one- I've seen very similar, sturdy ones for a lot less, including one of mine from IKEA. If you don't have an IKEA nearby, you can order small items online sometimes.

http://www.greenwayhp.com/home_products/details/gfr0501ss2/  

Here is the one I got from Costco (mine was $15) - it has a mesh underneath instead of the wire shelf - for sweaters or delicates.  It has been up for 2 weeks and is constantly in use, although it is easy to fold up & put away.  I use it to hang dress shirts, exercise wear, and dress pants.  I haven't done towels, but if I moved it outside I would.  

When my dd went to college over 4 years ago, she took this one with her.  When she left for grad school in August, it went with her again.  She loves the thing.  Even with a dryer in her current apartment, she ends up hanging most things.  It folds easily and quickly, and actually holds a lot of clothes in a compact space - it basically has 4 "shelves" plus the mesh on top.

http://www.greenwayhp.com/home_products/details/gfr0501ss2/

Here is the one I got from Costco (mine was $15) - it has a mesh underneath instead of the wire shelf - for sweaters or delicates. It has been up for 2 weeks and is constantly in use, although it is easy to fold up & put away. I use it to hang dress shirts, exercise wear, and dress pants. I haven't done towels, but if I moved it outside I would.

This is what I have. Two, in fact. But I'm irritated that they were $30 each here!

I have this one (I have no dryer at all), and it works extremely well for us except for ... sheets. I cannot imagine what drying rack would work well for sheets though...

I don't really like the racks with floppy parts or wings that have to be propped up. Instead, I have three smaller inexpensive but sturdy racks. I can choose how many racks I need to set up, they fold up nicely, and they've seen almost constant use in different countries for nearly 10 years. Since washing machines vary so much in size, sometimes I need just one rack to hold a load and sometimes I need all three. They're also inexpensive- certainly less than $20.

I love the ones from IKEA. Until we moved so I could have a line outside I used them everyday for everything. I have one very similar to the Costco one that is pictured. Pretty sure they still sell it at IKEA for a similar price. It was my first and has been with me for 7 years. Fits nicely in between my frig and counter when not in use. I can fit a whole load on it but not using a big American style washer. I also have an IKEA drying tower permanently set up in a corner, they don't make them anymore. Not portable but really good.

Aaahhh, thank you all!

Are Amish-made ones available online? (I don't live near any Amish communities.)

I have an outside line I use all summer, but when it's cooler, we burn wood in the stove in the house, so I like to air-dry the laundry while putting moisture back into the air. I keep KILLING my drying racks, though! (By "I," I of course mean my children. They aren't trying to be rough, but - it takes heavy use.)

Here you go. Yes, pricey, but WELL made.

http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#w=drying%20rack

I have one of these, the large ones, and I love it. It's all wood--the ones at Target were coated metal I believe and I was afraid it would eventually rust on the clothes. Also it's made in the US and I like helping out people making things in the US.

I have had this one for going on 5 years.  I got it at Ace Hardware. It was inside in the last two houses, but currently lives outside at this one.  I have small cement blocks weighing it down so it won't blow over.

It has lines run on it, not wood or metal bars.

I am so ready to order the Ikea one, but will it hold up to outdoor use? Maybe on the porch? I have a terrible one from Wal-Mart, but I need a new one for diapers.

We don't have a Costco and I hate to spend $50 or more on a single rack.

I have never put my IKEA drying rack outside. We tend to have fairly gusty wind come up out of no where, worry about my laundry in other people's lawns. If I need to use pegs might as well use line. I think it would last awhile outside if it was put away between uses but don't think it would last long if just set up outside permanently. Friends who have laundry rack somewhat permanently outside all have wood.

I had one of these for years and I would still have if my son had not let a chicken roost on one of the top rungs and she p**ped all the way down.

Well that's an interesting story!  LOL  :p

About putting the racks outside--it seems as if metal ones rust, but wooden ones can warp just enough to make them hard to fold back up (according to some reviews I've seen).  So as much as I like the REALLY big ones, I need to be sure I have the space INSIDE for them in case of rain.