Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW45

Robin M

I never laugh at anybody's choice of books. Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point.

Best book of 1814? Of those I've read, the choice is between Scott's Waverley and Austen's Mansfield Park; and I definitely choose the former.

I have always loved that quote and believe it or not use it fairly regularly though in English..."The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know." It's Pascal isn't it?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always loved that quote and believe it or not use it fairly regularly though in English..."The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know." It's Pascal isn't it?

Ah oui, une sentence bien connue! I think Emily Dickinson said something similar. But these things always sound better en français, n'est-ce pas?

Like today, when Middle Girl translated "Monsieur, voulez-vous remplir ces fiches?" as "Sir, would you like to stuff these fish?" That one definitely sounded better in French.

Ah oui, une sentence bien connue! I think Emily Dickinson said something similar. But these things always sound better en français, n'est-ce pas?

Like today, when Middle Girl translated "Monsieur, voulez-vous remplir ces fiches?" as "Sir, would you like to stuff these fish?" That one definitely sounded better in French.

And in German it sounds like someone is insulting you, your family, and all your ancestors.  I *heart* German.  

It also reminds me of the lovely lines by Edna Vincent Millay, "the world stands out on either side no wider than the heart is wide".

And I might add that your dd was impressively formal in her request of the Monsieur to stuff "fish" :lol:

aggieamy,

Did you see this Twain piece that I shared last week?  You'd likely enjoy it.

The Awful German Language. (The piece is short and is complete at the link.)

Regards,

Kareni

I love it!  My book club has a tradition in December where we read short stories (everyone contributes one) and we bake cookies.  I didn't know what to pick this year but now I do!  

Humorous anecdote time:  Last year 3 out of the 5 of us showed up with the same Neil Gaiman story.  The 4th showed up with a different Neil Gaiman story.  The 5th luckily wasn't a Neil Gaiman fan.  

I'm just impressed that you finished a 1 star book. I don't think I've been able to accomplish that yet.

Yes, so am I. Very surprised, actually.  :lol:

Those of you who love Jan Brett books 

I miss reading Jan Brett books to my children. Love those.

Slow reading for me. I'm just exhausted. I had a very busy week which ended with me hosting a party and an ER trip for a broken wrist (not me...my ds). Just plugging away in the Bible, finished Snuff, and I'm in the middle of a book but can't think of the title at the moment. Told you I was tired. I've been stumbling around all day. 

:grouphug:

I think the Flavia post was on last week's thread.  If I remember correctly (and that is unlikely) I believe it's coming out January 6th.  I remember telling DD about it and she was very excited.

Will you please post a link to The 50 Greatest Mysteries Of All Time?  That seems like something I would be very interested in doing also.  Maybe that can be my personal challenge next year.  

http://www.amazon.com/50-Greatest-Mysteries-All-Time/dp/0787109630/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415100120&sr=1-1&keywords=the+50+greatest+mysteries+of+all+time

The mysteries are mostly short stories. I don't know if they are actually the "greatest" but I figure they must be of some value to have made the cut, plus they are in chronological order.

I simply adore Italian, it is so lyrical. "Il cuore ha le sue ragioni che la ragione non conosce." Now that phrase sounds more romantic. ;) 

Love the Twain piece. Thanks for posting it, I missed it last week.

Shawneinfl, I'm with you: cannot believe we're already up to week 45.  Good grief!

If you like fairy tales then I can't recommend Beauty by Robin McKinley enough.  It was fantastic.  I think it was my personal book of the year a few years ago.  It's a book that was suitable for a child to read but great for an adult also.  

This one made the rounds of my 11 yo's circle last year, and she's been bugging me to read it ever since.  One.more.on.the.stack...

I love it!  My book club has a tradition in December where we read short stories (everyone contributes one) and we bake cookies.  I didn't know what to pick this year but now I do!  

Humorous anecdote time:  Last year 3 out of the 5 of us showed up with the same Neil Gaiman story.  The 4th showed up with a different Neil Gaiman story.  The 5th luckily wasn't a Neil Gaiman fan.  

Neil Gaiman will go down in my personal reading history as the Greatest Discovery of 2014.  Thanks to all of you!

And the book roundup...

I'm late in posting because once again I lost my journal with the list.  Then I found it and realized I did not in fact actually finish much:

Mark of Athena, by Rick Riordan - October 26, 2014

House of Hades, by Rick Riordan

(finally!) Bright Wings: An Illustrated Anthology of Poems About Birds edited by Billy Collins and David Allen Sibley  (it's on your way now, Jane!)

I'm theoretically in the midst of several very dense tomes, whose completion is looking rather improbable at the moment.  And when I contemplate the task of getting through 3 philosophies in the remaining nine weeks of the year, my heart, she sinks.

Right. Vote. With everything else going on I'm really scared I'm going to forget. Oldest ships out and getting his affairs settled is a real rollercoaster. Yesterday, I helped him insulate the new spare fish tank in the attic, ran wiring to keep his chickens' water from freezing, helped him winterize his saiboat, put in storm windows, had a farewell dinner, and dealt with an unexpected disaster. (Then topped it off with two math tutoring sessions.) Today I drive him to the airport. In amongst all this, I've tried to start making Christmas presents for everyone, a formidable task. And I finished reading Fairest, the other book my niece recommended several years ago. We are a singing family. I'm don't do it in public if I can possibly get out of it, but we sing a lot for family purposes. I ought to have really enjoyed the picture of a culture in which singing is all-pervasive, but somehow, I didn't. I like the idea, but reading through the reality wasn't much fun. I was left with the feeling that I have written better songs. I think the problem was that in the book, the songs are often written and sung on the spot and that doesn't allow them to be as excellent as I would like. The plot was ok.

Amy - I will have to look for Beauty. Thank you so much. I also fear running out of books. It changed my life when I realized that I had bleak days between books. To cut down on the number of bleak days in my life, all I had to do was have the next in hand when I reached the end of a book. I put considerable effort into making sure that my family all has books to read, not an easy task when it comes to my voracious mother. My picky, not-really-readers children and husband aren't easy, either. One of the things I have to do this morning is find something to hand to oldest at the airport. The first time I put him on a plane to ship out for a few months (headed for the Greek islands), I was running down his passport, papers, sunscreen, toothbrush list when I discovered he hadn't packed anything to read. I had to scramble to find something suitable and then argue to get him to put it in his pocket. When he called from Greece to say he'd arrived and could see his ship but couldn't figure out how to get out to it, he said it was a good thing I'd sent it because he'd finished it already. This is my kid who can't sit still. Now he knows to bring something with him lol. He's chunking through Louis L'Amour's, which are easy and absorbing enough to work at the end of a 12 hour shift.

I wrote out a long post the day before yesterday with bits to lots of people and it got eaten before it sent. Ug.

Not sure what I am going to read next. I have several on hand to choose from. I started Dragonsinger in French but want something easy to read in English as well, for when I am tired and just want to be somewhere else. That will happen with Dragonsinger, which I know I can jump into easily in Engish, but it will take a bit longer for the French to click and become unnoticable.

Nan

Jane - Sagas, shudder.  Maybe I haven't read the right ones?  I can't seem to deal with anything that says "sweeping" or "saga" on the back.  "Dynesty" isn't a good word for me, either.  I'm still scared by having been given Thornbirds to read too young by the woman I babysat for.

I liked the original Barchesters, too, as well as Angela Thirkell's Barchesters.

Nan

Just read a true sci-fi classic, The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. (I can't believe I had never read this book previously.) I read it because my ds read it for part of his school work. While I cannot say I particularly enjoyed Wells' vision of future humankind & the distant waning of Earth, I do think it's a brilliantly-imagined & wonderfully well-written novel. Bravo! (Ds loved it & keeps talking about how much he loved the writing/vocabulary in it.)

Still working on an OCD version of the undead in eastern Europe. Oops, I mean, Jules Verne's The Castle in Transylvania. ;)

And -- sorry if someone else already said this and I missed it-- to the Americans:

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!!!!

:patriot:  :patriot:  :patriot:  :patriot:  :patriot:  :patriot:  :patriot:

:iagree:  (I voted last week during early voting.)

And because it's election day, here's a little article that combines voting & books:

Capitol Book Club, With a Bonus

Wipe out day here, out for almost 12 hrs with a very long commute.

I'm recovering from 3 wipe out days in a row here, 12 hour days of commutes for gigs, students or rehearsals.  I logged 3 hours of audio book listening in the car on one day alone!!  In the midst of it all ds had a very minor car accident, but it required a tow truck and his taking my car while his is in the shop.  He is fine, but we are still waiting to hear about the car. He is working vampire hours, 10-12 hour shifts at night and sleeping during business hours, so we are dealing with the mechanics and towing company.  

But this thread makes for a nice comforting read on my day off!  Y'all make me laugh!

I'm a serious series kind of gal.  A serial reader, if you will.  My annual book lists usually have a chunk of books from one particular series or another.  Some series do lose their spark and become disappointing.  I still read them anyway, but I don't obsessively search for the next title.  Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised when the author hits his or her stride again.  I'm still enjoying Sue Grafton's series, for instance, still find them fresh.  Elizabeth George I'm still reading out of habit, still enjoying parts of her books and feeling annoyed with other bits.  

And thank goodness for good audio versions of a series! I purposely save my next Master and Commander audio books for those weeks when I have a long commute for a gig.  It is my treat, something that makes me look forward to my drive, and, true confession, occasionally reluctant to car pool!!  My latest was The Letter of Marque, which took longer to get through because this time I did car pool a couple of days with a cellist friend!  

About languages -- I'm sure you all have seen this, but it is worth watching again and again. Makes me laugh every time.

How German Sounds Compared to Other Languages

I might be more familiar with the best books of 1914! 

Guess who won't be voting?

Me too, Jane.  Me too. 

VC probably laughs at all our modern books though.  She'd have to vote in best book of 1814.  

anim_confused.gif 

Oh, that is *SO* last century.

e5205653.gif

:lol:

And thank goodness for good audio versions of a series! I purposely save my next Master and Commander audio books for those weeks when I have a long commute for a gig.  It is my treat, something that makes me look forward to my drive, and, true confession, occasionally reluctant to car pool!!  My latest was The Letter of Marque, which took longer to get through because this time I did car pool a couple of days with a cellist friend!  

About languages -- I'm sure you all have seen this, but it is worth watching again and again. Makes me laugh every time.

How German Sounds Compared to Other Languages

I adore audiobook series too.  I won't read any Agatha Christie books because I only want to listen to them as audiobooks.  She's the reason I have folded laundry!  

Krankenwagen!  :lol:

I'm glad to have been of help!

What a fun book club tradition you have.  And how funny about the superabundance of Gaiman stories.  So, do tell, what were the two Gaiman stories that were brought last year?

Regards,

Kareni

I'm glad to have been of help!

What a fun book club tradition you have.  And how funny about the superabundance of Gaiman stories.  So, do tell, what were the two Gaiman stories that were brought last year?

Regards,

Kareni

They were:

How to talk to Girls at a Party

A Study in Emerald

I recommend both!

Last night I finished the contemporary romance He's So Fine (A Lucky Harbor novel) by Jill Shalvis.  It was an enjoyable read.  It's the latest in the author's popular series but each book stands alone.

"For Olivia Bentley, Lucky Harbor is more than the town where she runs her new vintage shop. It's the place where folks are friendly to strangers-and nobody knows her real name. Olivia does a good job of keeping her past buried, not getting too cozy with anyone . . . until she sees a man drowning. Suddenly she's rushing into the surf, getting up close and personal with the hottest guy she's ever laid hands on.

Charter boat captain Cole Donovan has no problem with a gorgeous woman throwing her arms around his neck in an effort to "save" him. In fact, he'd like to spend a lot more time skin-to-skin with Olivia. He's just not expecting that real trouble is about to come her way. Will it bring her deeper into Cole's heart, or will it be the end of Olivia's days in little Lucky Harbor?"

Regards,

Kareni

aggieamy,

Did you see this Twain piece that I shared last week?  You'd likely enjoy it.

The Awful German Language. (The piece is short and is complete at the link.)

Regards,

Kareni

I laughed so much reading that. Sent it to my ex-pat friend living in Germany.

Neil Gaiman will go down in my personal reading history as the Greatest Discovery of 2014.  Thanks to all of you!

Same here! 

Well, my 5 yr old is now the proud owner of a bright green cast. His brothers have already signed it. 

And.....I came home from the appt to discover that my eldest had made brownie cookies for me. And people say having a teen is awful. 

And the book roundup...

I'm late in posting because once again I lost my journal with the list.  Then I found it and realized I did not in fact actually finish much:

Mark of Athena, by Rick Riordan - October 26, 2014

House of Hades, by Rick Riordan

(finally!) Bright Wings: An Illustrated Anthology of Poems About Birds edited by Billy Collins and David Allen Sibley  (it's on your way now, Jane!)

I love the one by Jane Hirschfield under the "Herons" heading. Including with it a pic of the Great Blue Heron that graces a local lake, taken on a crisp day...

Hope and Love

All winter

the blue heron

slept among the horses.

I do not know

the custom of herons,

do not know

if the solitary habit

is their way,

or if he listened for

some missing one –

not knowing even

that was what he did –

in the blowing

sounds in the dark.

I know that

hope is the hardest

love we carry.

He slept

with his long neck

folded, like a letter

put away.

~ Jane Hirshfield ~

An email from Europa today.... Figured some of you might be interested as they all look like good historical fiction books, imo.

3afb335e-366c-460f-a177-5dda962e3c17.jpg

New November Novels!

Grab a great new novel just for you before the holidays arrive!

The holidays are right around the corner and there's precious little time to sit down with a good book before the season begins. Europa has three wonderful historical fiction titles packed with adventure, intrigue, mystery,and romance that are just right for cuddling up by the fire and enjoying this winter season. Check out the links below to find out which book is perfect for you.

-Drew

15afffd2-cbec-4f9f-a699-074f9f9fd649.jpgThe inspiring story of an orphan who rose to become a queen and the voice of freedom.

b971b478-6ec0-40e2-90f9-bf282027da30.jpg An epic thriller that is perfect for book lovers and history buffs.

87b82635-cf1a-48cf-b528-9ae90a228298.jpg An NPR Best Book of the Year, now available in paperback!

Shukriyya gives you poetry and I will offer some science.

Here is a photo of a blue heron that we had at the shelter:

3188553538_d39b0da7f5.jpg

These birds are over a yard in height yet, despite the size, weigh about five pounds.  Their bones are hollow which is typical for birds in general but even a healthy heron seems fragile.  They are but a few bones and a lot of feathers!  That bill can impale a fish--or a person trying to wrap a broken wing or injured foot. 

Various herons are part of my daily walk/bike ride in the salt marsh.  It would be a poorer world without them.

Mainly posting to return this thread to my recently posted sort. For some reason things don't always work right when a new thread starts.......

I have been busy reading Beaton's School for Manners series. Good clean fun in a Regency setting. Many of the recurring characters make me laugh. I am on number four and will be sad when they are completed. Can definitely see characters from Agatha Raison in these books.

Speaking of German, here is a little comparison for you all : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXaB-F4pC0

One of my SIL's is Swiss and get teased a lot(very lovingly) in the family about her accent. At the gatherings at least once someone will start talking German gibberish in a very exaggerated fashion. Fortunately, she's such a sweetheart and doesn't get upset at her American hubby and his crazy brothers. :)

Gorgeous poem.  Gorgeous photo.

When oldest and I walked his dog for the last time (mine again now he's gone), we saw blue heron footprints in the sand under about six inches of water at the edge of the lake.  We wondered if they were put there before the lake rose in the last storm or just recently, too soon to blur.

Nan

I love the herons!  We went on a walk around a nearby lake today and a heron came squawking and flapping out of the reeds right in front of me.  It made me jump!  It was so dramatic and beautiful! 

Then we watched a couple of red-headed woodpeckers knocking on some trees.  

It was a lovely fall day!

Last week I read "The Invention of Wings".  It's been a while since I read a historical fiction about slavery.  I found it interesting that the main character was based on a real person.  

I also finished reading the play "A Street Car Named Desire".  My daughter was reading it for a class and kept asking me questions about characters, so I decided I needed to read along.  I did not love it.  It was a little shocking, especially since it was originally written in the 1940's - abuse, alcoholism, rape, mental illness...  

in other news - I really love a good series.  I especially love YA series.  I hate it when the 3rd book is bad - I never did read the 3rd Divergent book on the recommendation of my teen.  She said that the author broke her heart!   I have read just 42 books this year, I'm behind.  I think I need a good YA series to pull me in and help me get my book count up...

I have not read this free Kindle book, but it might be of interest to Wodehouse fans:

Whimsy & Soda by Matthew David Brozik

"WHIMSY & SODA (formerly "WODEHOUSEBROKEN") is a collection of twelve hilarious short stories featuring the best-known and best-liked characters of P.G. Wodehouse’s fiction—Bertie Wooster and his man, Jeeves. (The included stories are parodic and not authorized by the Wodehouse Estate.)

• In the opening story, “By and By, Bertie,†Bertie Wooster wakes up one morning to find himself changed in his bed into... a parakeet? Shades of Kafka!

• Jeeves takes his annual vacation; the agency sends Bertie the only valet it has available, and that valet is a robot, in “G.E.V.E.â€

• “Jeeves Your Own Adventure†allows the reader to play the role of Jeeves himself!

• In “Back to the Wooster,†Bertie, while in New York, is persuaded by a stranger to take a quick car ride... to the year 1967!

• And in “Jeeves and Wayne,†Jeeves helps the Batman begin."

Regards,

Kareni

I have not read this free Kindle book, but it might be of interest to Wodehouse fans:

Whimsy & Soda by Matthew David Brozik

"WHIMSY & SODA (formerly "WODEHOUSEBROKEN") is a collection of twelve hilarious short stories featuring the best-known and best-liked characters of P.G. Wodehouse’s fiction—Bertie Wooster and his man, Jeeves. (The included stories are parodic and not authorized by the Wodehouse Estate.)

• In the opening story, “By and By, Bertie,†Bertie Wooster wakes up one morning to find himself changed in his bed into... a parakeet? Shades of Kafka!

• Jeeves takes his annual vacation; the agency sends Bertie the only valet it has available, and that valet is a robot, in “G.E.V.E.â€

• “Jeeves Your Own Adventure†allows the reader to play the role of Jeeves himself!

• In “Back to the Wooster,†Bertie, while in New York, is persuaded by a stranger to take a quick car ride... to the year 1967!

• And in “Jeeves and Wayne,†Jeeves helps the Batman begin."

Regards,

Kareni

I'm so conflicted because I love Bertie but what if I hate it and it ruins my love for Bertie?!?!  Would someone please spend the next day reading this book and report back here with a book report?

I love series which is probably a statement of the level of emotional involvement that I often feel for characters. 

I love series and get very invested in the characters and their worlds.  One offs are hard for me, because when they end and if I loved the characters, well boo hoo.  Series gather me in -  well good or enticing series. 

:iagree:  This is why I love series.  Characters become my friends.  I have trouble leaving them behind.  

Just read a true sci-fi classic, The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. (I can't believe I had never read this book previously.) I read it because my ds read it for part of his school work. While I cannot say I particularly enjoyed Wells' vision of future humankind & the distant waning of Earth, I do think it's a brilliantly-imagined & wonderfully well-written novel. Bravo! (Ds loved it & keeps talking about how much he loved the writing/vocabulary in it.)

Aly (14) read this earlier in the year.  She enjoyed it (though partly because she was on a huge H.G. Wells kick from Warehouse 13 ;) ).  I've only read The Island of Doctor Moreau which was quite disturbing.  

Busy weekend/beginning of the week around here.  Water heater broke, leaked, and had to be repaired on Sunday, the same Sunday in which we had a teen event to a local amusement park in which I did said teen event alone as dh had to stay home to repair the water heater.  All in all in worked out ok but it was crazy.  I still haven't got the basement level put back together yet, and I need to before we get called for a showing on the house.  But it's cold today, and I'm having trouble getting out from under the blanket  :D

I finished Mockingjay last night.  I'm still processing parts of it, mulling it over in my mind.  It was not what I expected.  Collins really deviated down a militaristic path that I wasn't prepared for.  The emotional and physical trauma that the characters encountered in this book were difficult to deal with.  I kept waiting for the "happy" moment in the middle to give me hope, and it never quite came.  At least not to the extent I wanted it to.  I was happy with the end, however, I thought she could have taken a couple more chapters and not rushed us there.  My favorite quote was the last lines of the book (not epilogue, though that last line was excellent as well).  I'm not sure what I will rate this book as I'm still pondering it.  I don't think I liked it as well as Catching Fire, nor probably The Hunger Games.  Maybe it's because the last book felt futuristic/militaristic whereas the other two did not, and I'm not much of a futuristic reader.  I am glad I read them, though, because I did enjoy the series.  

Mockingjay was #51!  I began the book that was picked by the youngest member of our co-op book club, The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic, last night.  I know absolutely nothing about it so I will be interested to see what it's like.  I have some books out from the library that I want to start, and I am really hankering for a classic read after all this dystopia  :D   The girls and I are watching Little Dorrit this week, and I'm wondering if maybe I could make it through that as a Dickens book.  

I finished that book I couldn't remember the title of, Forever Chic. 

Eh, it was okay. I was bored mostly. Plus, not much in it applied to my life. 

I looked at Goodreads. I've read exactly 45 books so I'm right on track. Of those 17 are fiction. Not too bad I guess considering I'm not forcing a certain number of fiction like I did last year. 

Today we took a field trip down to London to see the Poppies at the Tower of London. The installation is almost complete (the last will be put in on 11/11 ) so very little green space left in the moat. Truly is a sea of red.....This article with pictures of the Queen a couple weeks ago gives the best idea of what it looks like http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2795372/the-queen-s-tribute-dead-world-war-one-majesty-joined-prince-phillip-visit-tower-s-poppy-memorial.html Almost 900,000 poppies representing those killed in WWI from Commonwealth countries I now believe......just read that when hunting for some good photos, had thought it was UK.

The crowds were huge. We went to a different tube station and walked over. Shoulder to shoulder all the way around the tower. We felt really fortunate to have a Royal Palaces annual pass and be able to view from inside too. Glad we made the effort and went.

I did get some reading done in route. Will post titles later.

Got an email from Archipelago Books with a coupon code to get Return to My Native Land (paperback version) for 50% off in honor of the translator's (John Berger's) birthday.

Coupon code: HAPPYBDAYJOHN

http://archipelagobooks.org/book/return-to-my-native-land/

Archipelago Books would like to wish a very happy birthday to John Berger, renowned novelist, essayist, art critic, painter, poet, screenwriter, dramatist, translator, and human rights activist. We are proud to publish his gorgeous translation of Aimé Césaire's Return to My Native Land (co-translated by Anna Bostock). He has also translated Mural by Mahmoud Darwish, co-translated by Rema Hammami. His other works include To The Wedding, Here is Where We Meet, Bento's Sketchbook, Pig Earth, and the Booker Prize-winning novel G. Among his celebrated studies of art are Ways of Seeing and Without Looking. We also recommend his recent collaborative work, Railtracks, co-written by Anne Michaels, featuring photographs by Tereza Stehlíková.  Happy birthday, John!

Okay, I'm definitely feeling left out of the Neil Gaiman party so where shall I start? I was thinking The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

I'm not itching to join the party as I don't think it'll be my cuppa but I do have "Stardust" on my tbr list and will read that once the 5/5 is done.

Today we took a field trip down to London to see the Poppies at the Tower of London. The installation is almost complete (the last will be put in on 11/11 ) so very little green space left in the moat. Truly is a sea of red.....This article with pictures of the Queen a couple weeks ago gives the best idea of what it looks like http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2795372/the-queen-s-tribute-dead-world-war-one-majesty-joined-prince-phillip-visit-tower-s-poppy-memorial.html Almost 900,000 poppies representing those killed in WWI from Commonwealth countries I now believe......just read that when hunting for some good photos, had thought it was UK.

The crowds were huge. We went to a different tube station and walked over. Shoulder to shoulder all the way around the tower. We felt really fortunate to have a Royal Palaces annual pass and be able to view from inside too. Glad we made the effort and went.

I did get some reading done in route. Will post titles later.

Mumto2, this reminds of when we we, as a family, went up to London to watch the marriage of Charles and Diana waaaay back when. My mom and brothers went up the night before and camped out on the Mall, I believe, or perhaps it was the Strand? My father, aunt and I left on the 4 a.m. train the morning of (with ham sandwiches wrapped in wax paper thanks to my granny). London was packed, packed, packed. We were in front of Buckingham Palace and got to see the procession of carriages, the balcony kiss etc. I would never do something like that now but it was exciting back then in my teen years. So impressed you braved the crowds. Do they still sell Cadbury's chocolates in those little kiosk-machines at the station?

I have not read much today.  Instead I have been pretending that I am a homesteader.  ;)

As a locovore, I am attempting to take advantage of the bounty before seasonal shifts.  This included making pickled Asian pears (with lemon and ginger)--something totally new for me.  When I went to pick up my CSA box, I found a bounty of shiitake mushrooms available for purchase.  I think I bought too many.  :o  My dehydrator has been put to work.

It is about the end of the NC shrimp season.  Around here there is a bumper sticker that reads "Friends don't let friends buy imported shrimp". So I am freezing shrimp as well as shrimp shells (from which I make stock for risotto or creole).

Obviously y'all need to come to my place to eat!  Oh yes--persimmon cookies too! 

I'm not itching to join the party as I don't think it'll be my cuppa but I do have "Stardust" on my tbr list and will read that once the 5/5 is done.

Mumto2, this reminds of when we we, as a family, went up to London to watch the marriage of Charles and Diana waaaay back when. My mom and brothers went up the night before and camped out on the Mall, I believe, or perhaps it was the Strand? My father, aunt and I left on the 4 a.m. train the morning of (with ham sandwiches wrapped in wax paper thanks to my granny). London was packed, packed, packed. We were in front of Buckingham Palace and got to see the procession of carriages, the balcony kiss etc. I would never do something like that now but it was exciting back then in my teen years. So impressed you braved the crowds. Do they still sell Cadbury's chocolates in those little kiosk-machines at the station?

You really got a great spot for the wedding. We haven't been brave enough to go down for a huge event. We are too afraid of getting stranded and not able to return to our car. We have found a relatively easy area to drive into and park. Tube station is a three minute walk and we were able to street park for free today. But a signal disruption on the underground created tons of stress. I just asked the kids if they had seen Cadbury kiosk machines and they say no. I didn't see any either but we weren't in any main stations. Switched at Baker Street (good Sherlock Holmes mosaic) then off at Aldgate (great looking Asian themed restaurants all over that area, unfortunately we had stopped for McDonald's(yuk)).

I have not read much today.  Instead I have been pretending that I am a homesteader.  ;)

As a locovore, I am attempting to take advantage of the bounty before seasonal shifts.  This included making pickled Asian pears (with lemon and ginger)--something totally new for me.  When I went to pick up my CSA box, I found a bounty of shiitake mushrooms available for purchase.  I think I bought too many.  :o  My dehydrator has been put to work.

It is about the end of the NC shrimp season.  Around here there is a bumper sticker that reads "Friends don't let friends buy imported shrimp". So I am freezing shrimp as well as shrimp shells (from which I make stock for risotto or creole).

Obviously y'all need to come to my place to eat!  Oh yes--persimmon cookies too!

Sounds yummy! Fresh shrimp bring back some great memories.....

Okay, I'm definitely feeling left out of the Neil Gaiman party so where shall I start? I was thinking The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

I have missed that party too. Would love to hear suggestions.

Afternoon Ladies!!!  A bit of book news:

Falconer's Memoir wins the Samuel Johnson non fiction prize.

A Series of Unfortunate Events to become a netflix show

Knopf to publish Tom Hanks debut of Short Stories.

I finished Nora Roberts Blood Magick and have to say I'm lukewarm about the 3rd story. Really didn't like Branna and Fin all that much.  :leaving: 

Killing two birds with one stone for A to Z challenge and started Qui Xiaolong's 3rd book in his Inspector Chen series When Red is Black

Finished 51. Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night, a painful tale of personal disintegration, a life uselessly sacrificed for another, and the death of love, among Americans self-exiled in post-war Europe. Jane, I say go for the re-read, but not if you're feeling depressed.

Two characters visiting a Great War battlefield in France:

-----------------------

"General Grant invented this kind of battle at Petersburg in sixty-five."

"No, he didn't--he just invented mass butchery. This kind of battle was invented by Lewis Carroll and Jules Verne and whoever wrote Undine, and country deacons bowling and marraines in Marseilles and girls seduced in the back lanes of Wurtemburg and Westphalia. Why, this was a love battle--there was a century of middle-class love spent here. This was the last love battle."

"You want to hand this battle over to D. H. Lawrence," said Abe.

Just finished updating my completed book's list so thought I would post some of my completed ones.

Peril in Paperback (a Bibliophile mystery) by Kate Carlisle, the fourth in the series about a professional book binder that I have been reading. This one took place in a mansion owned by one of her clients. A house party that gets snowed in and people start dying. Actually not bad especially with some fun bookish tidbits thrown in. I have been looking for a picture of the odd bookcases described in a bedroom, they were cubes hanging from the ceiling that could be brought down by remote control. Amazing concept but I don't think I would feel comfortable sleeping there.

Vampire, Interrupted by Lynsay Sands, the ninth in the Argeneau Vampire series. Really liked this one. My favorite vampire found her lifemate. The romatic in me loves knowing her story.

Lord of Darkness by Elizabeth Hoyt, fifth in Maiden Lane. I cannot tell you how much I wish I had resisted the pretty cover on number six and read these in order. Finding them really frustrating out of order. I may go back and start with the first in a couple months. I hate reading spoilers constantly. Series really should be read in order.....

Last night's late commute to ds's music lesson was long but it allowed me a chunk of uninterrupted reading time while he was learning. With the new pup snuggled in the backseat and the car dark and warm I continued with 'The Red Garden'. I still enjoy Alice Hoffman's writing decades later. Appearances have been made by Johnny Appleseed and Emily Dickinson among others. The natural world is experienced as mysterious, intelligent and alive with its own story and collective sentience.

'Airs Above the Ground' is now available for pickup so that'll be next. I wish I could read a little faster.