Menu

Gluten free cupcake question

Spryte

I have to make cupcakes and brownies (both GF) for Friday.  We are having a Halloween Bash for kids, with a ton of stuff to set up on the Big Day.  How early can I make cupcakes and brownies, without having them turn hard as rocks by the time the kids eat them? 

The day before?  Today? (If only I could get it out of the way today!)  Or should I just add it to the list of must-dos for party day?

I've made gf cupcakes both from a box and from scratch the day before and never had an issue with "hard as a rock".  Now, I also stored them in ziploc bag type thing or other plastic ware, so maybe that had something to do with it?  Also, my friend would take the leftovers home with her, for her gf daughter to enjoy later, and she never mentioned that they got hard.  I've even frozen them to store for when I needed a quick gf cupcake for an unexpected gf visitor and they've even stayed moist.  

Just my experience, ymmv.

The texture does change much more quickly than wheat brownies...it's not necessarily "hard as a rock" but it does change.  

I'm picky; I'd rather not have a bad substitute than do without it all together.  Sooooo, when i make the Cravings Place Gluten-free Brownies (which I serve without announcing that they are gluten-free, and everyone loves them) I make them not more than 24 hours before.  After that, they sort of gum up.  Still yummy in my books, but I wouldn't serve them to others.  KWIM?

Also, to be fair, my mixes have to be dairy- and egg-free, too, and the eggs in other mixes might make them hold up better, texture-wise.

The texture does change much more quickly than wheat brownies...it's not necessarily "hard as a rock" but it does change.  

I'm picky; I'd rather not have a bad substitute than do without it all together.  Sooooo, when i make the Cravings Place Gluten-free Brownies (which I serve without announcing that they are gluten-free, and everyone loves them) I make them not more than 24 hours before.  After that, they sort of gum up.  Still yummy in my books, but I wouldn't serve them to others.  KWIM?

Also, to be fair, my mixes have to be dairy- and egg-free, too, and the eggs in other mixes might make them hold up better, texture-wise.

That might be why we see the texture change, too - we are GF and dairy free.  Though we do use eggs.

I think I'll make the cupcakes a day early, and the brownies the day of the party.

Thanks!

I've been buying the Krusteaz GF brownie mix at Costco (3-pack for around $8-ish, IIRC). They have dairy in the chocolate chips, I think, and do ask for an egg (and oil).  Anyway, they are a snap to mix up.  Baking at my altitude is close to an hour.  Some of my kids prefer them to my homemade wheat version.  I don't know how they'd do in a larger pan size; I'd probably try to make the small version three times, if you can juggle the logistics, and keep them in ziploc-style plastic boxes.

Eta, nevermind, I see you are dairy-free - sorry...

Are you using a box mix, or do you have a recipe, or...? 

I make these muffins/cupcakes, and they last for 3 days or so and are awesome (My ds is gluten free, I am not, so I am VERY picky about liking gf items...).  I sub almond butter for the sunbutter, add chocolate chips (dark, white, a mix, whatever) and remove the lemon juice as you don't need it with almond butter:

http://www.sunbutter.com/recipes-glutenfreesunbutterbananamuffins

GF chocolate chip muffins:  We love this recipe, it'd be fine made a day ahead.  I like it as-is, my kids like me to sub half white chocolate chips to sweeten it up a bit.  You can leave the nuts out no problem, I usually do. 

I also have a fantastic brownie recipe that would be good 24 hours later.  Let me know if you want it, as I'd have to type it up. 

Sorry, I know you weren't specifically asking for recipes, but these are a few recipes that would be fine made the day before! 

p.s.  Any time a recipe calls for oil, I sub melted butter, because I'm awesome like that.