Menu

"Mom" costume ideas that are cheap and not x-rated?

Alicia64

Turns out that all the adult neighbors on my street are dressing up for a Halloween party. So now I want to too.

Any suggestions for fun adult costumes that aren't se*y and not too pricey. I can spend some money. I thought I might just go out and get a witch's hat. Kind of boring.

I'd love to be Maleficent but she goes too far in the x-rated direction.

I'd love a fun, unique idea.

Thanks!

Alley

My daughter just won our town costume contest by dressing up as a Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes winner. I put her in a ratty bathrobe and curlers then made a giant check for a million dollars with the publishers clearninghouse logo (really easy to draw). She also carried a small bouquet of balloons, but you could substitute with silk flowers or not carry anything else at all. It was a huge hit, and so easy and cheap. 

• Like 17

Last year I bought a $5 set of butterfly/fairy wings and a $2 headband with antennae, wore them with black pants and shirt, and called myself a butterfly. Omit the headband, wear a fancy dress, and carry a wand and suddenly you're a fairy instead.

This year, we spent a little more on my costume, but still not a lot--we bought an inexpensive Sith robe and some face paint. I'll wear black clothes again, with the robe and some appropriate face paint and be a Sith, the counterbalance to my husband's Jedi. (He's a Star Wars fan, and he went all out on his costume last year ... he'll be wearing it for the next several years!)

I often play off of my husband's costume. One year, he wore his basketball clothes (jersey and shorts from his college team) and carried a basketball. We put our daughter in a little cheerleader outfit for the same team. I wore a team polo with a lanyard and a makeshift identification that clearly read "COACH."

The year my daughter--a newborn--had a kangaroo costume, I dressed in brown, blackened my nose, attached a "tail" to hang from my belt, and wore my daughter low on my chest in a mei tai style carrier, as the mama kangaroo. My husband dressed in safari-style shorts and vest and went as the 'roo keeper.

• Like 3

One year I taped smarties all over my pants and called myself "Smartypants". I got the idea from Family Fun. Also, my husband went as a "quarterback" by taping a quarter to his back. :)

I might do the Publishers Clearinghouse winner this year. Great idea!

• Like 2

One year I taped smarties all over my pants and called myself "Smartypants". I got the idea from Family Fun. Also, my husband went as a "quarterback" by taping a quarter to his back. :)

I might do the Publishers Clearinghouse winner this year. Great idea!

Sort of in this same vein, when I'm feeling uncreative I'll dress up in blue and write book on my face. Then I'm Facebook.

• Like 3

I went as "raining cats and dogs" one year. I strung some stuffed toys (cats and dogs) using really thin black thread to an umbrella and carried the umbrella - to simulate the downpour of cats and dogs. Some people got it while some kept asking me to repeat my story.

• Like 5

Be a stereotypical homeschooling mom!  Denim jumper embroidered with apples or other cute images.  Button up long sleeved shirt under it with a lacy collar.  Pencils stuck up in your hair to make a bun.  Stockings, "sensible shoes," and a cardigan.  A cloth over the shoulder bag with some schoolish or inspirational saying.  Inside there could be a Bible, various curriculum, and a giant Mom-planner with post-it notes everywhere.

Equally you could write "On A Steel Horse I Ride" on a white shirt and be a cowboy.

• Like 5

Turns out that all the adult neighbors on my street are dressing up for a Halloween party. So now I want to too.

Any suggestions for fun adult costumes that aren't se*y and not too pricey. I can spend some money. I thought I might just go out and get a witch's hat. Kind of boring.

I'd love to be Maleficent but she goes too far in the x-rated direction.

I'd love a fun, unique idea.

Thanks!

Alley

I have to ask- what about Maleficient is possibly X-rated? She is my 12 year old ds' favorite character.

• Like 3

I have to ask- what about Maleficient is possibly X-rated? She is my 12 year old ds' favorite character.

Well, the young and tween Maleficient costumes are fine, but the adult ones lean toward too soxy. (I don't want to look like that in front of neighbors.)

Alley

Be a stereotypical homeschooling mom!  Denim jumper embroidered with apples or other cute images.  Button up long sleeved shirt under it with a lacy collar.  Pencils stuck up in your hair to make a bun.  Stockings, "sensible shoes," and a cardigan.  A cloth over the shoulder bag with some schoolish or inspirational saying.  Inside there could be a Bible, various curriculum, and a giant Mom-planner with post-it notes everywhere.

Or you could be a real homeschooling mom and show up in your pj's with your hair a mess holding your coffee cup as you stagger about looking for coffee.

Oh wait, maybe that's just me. :leaving:

• Like 16

Well, the young and tween Maleficient costumes are fine, but the adult ones lean toward too soxy. (I don't want to look like that in front of neighbors.)

Alley

The ones I saw today were throat to ankles robes and the horn things cover your hair and ears. I really can't see the sexy in that.

• Like 1

We used to do family themes. One year, our daughter wanted to be Eleanor of Aquitaine, and our son wanted to be King Arthur. Rather than choosing other specific kings/queens, my husband and I went punny. For him, I bought a length of tan felt long enough to start at his ankles in front and go up over his shoulders and down to his ankles in back. I cut a hole in the center so his head stuck through, sort of like an open-sided tunic. I used a thick Sharpie to draw increments on it from 1 to 12. We stuck a bowler hat on his head, and he carried a walking stick. He told everyone he was a British ruler.

I painted a Union Jack on a cheap black t-shirt and bought myself an inexpensive pair of butterfly wings and a headband with antennae. I was an English monarch.

• Like 7

One year I went as Audrey Hepburn.  Long black dress from thrift store.  White gloves from the dress up box.  DH painted a dowel rod to look like a long cigarette.  Hair in bun on top of head.  Pin a tiara on top from dress up box.  Everyone knew who I was.  

• Like 4

Sort of in this same vein, when I'm feeling uncreative I'll dress up in blue and write book on my face. Then I'm Facebook.

Also in the same vein, one year dh taped a silk leaf to a baseball cap. When people asked what he was, he blew on the leaf and said he was a leaf blower.

• Like 2

My husband changed his mind at the last minute (party pooper  :p ), but he was supposed to be Sweeney Todd. Our oldest son and I still dressed as Mrs. Lovett and Toby, though. I just used a long, prairie-type skirt I already had, a big, ratty shirt, dirty apron, crazy hairdo, threw flour all over myself, and carried a rolling pin. Ds wore his younger brother's worn-out pants with added holes and dirt, an old undershirt of dh's with added holes and dirt, and a long scarf I knit for him last year. The nice thing was, many adults knew who we were, but the kids didn't and most assumed that I was Cinderella (pre-prince) and that my son was Tiny Tim (from A Christmas Carol... not the singer  :lol: ), so we didn't freak out anyone by having "scary" costumes.

• Like 1

My kids have been coming up with crazy ideas:

Use cardboard and then blow up a map of a country and paste it on it.

Toilet paper roll--wrap yourself in cardboard and then a white sheet just like a roll of TP.

Awesome--just go in your own clothes and tell everyone how awesome you are.

Tomato--dress in red with a green hat.

Dirty clothes pile--cover yourself in clothes or towels

We did see pictures of some people dressed as a grocery bag.  Lots of cheap innovative ideas are out there. 

• Like 1

A friend's kid did this today, but an adult could pull it off, too.  Just wear something simple, like matching sweatshirt and sweatpants, use black tape on it to make yourself a stick figure and wear a simple smiley face mask.  ("I've never looked so thin!" can be your refrain for the evening.  lol)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Didn't notice how old this thread was. Sorry

My husband and I always do a theme costume. One year we were day and night. I bought a black sweatsuit and hot glued glow in the dark stars on it. I bought a cheap black winter hat and attached a cardboard moon too it. For day I bought a powder blue sweatsuit and hot glued felt clouds. Got a cheap yellow hat and stuck a sun on it.

Think I spent under $30 and it was super easy to make.