Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlmiraGulch

What's your favorite holiday side dish?

I like the stuffing and mashed potatoes, but I like gravy on them, so you need to cook a turkey to get the good gravy. I do cheat most years and just do a turkey breast. I also like sweet potatoes and roasted butternut squash. I LOVE this pumpkin soup. I would marry this soup. I make it just like the recipe, except I add walnuts to the relish.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/pumpkin-soup-with-chili-cran-apple-relish-recipe.html

I love my grandmas yam casserole. No marshmallows in sight :)

Layer 9x13 glass dish with pineapple rings. Save juice.

Slice (cooked and peeled) yams thickly and layer over pineapple.

Too with about 3 T flour sprinkled and 1/4 c brown sugar and dots of butter.

Pour pineapple juice over and top with chopped walnuts. Bake until bubbly and hot and thickened. If there are enough yams for two layers out flour sugar and butter between the layers.

It's not an exact recipe but more like a method :) so yummy. You get sweet with the pineapple and bit of brown sugar but not the sickly sweet of marshmallows.

Eta: I bet 1/4 c sugar is a high estimate. Just sprinkle it over.

My favorite has always been the green bean casserole, and it stinks because I'm gluten free and can't have it any more. 

DH's family recipe cranberry sauce has grown on me.  He takes two bags of cranberries and one orange and runs it through a meat grinder (with a hand crank).  Then he adds sugar to taste.  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it, and I know you said you didn't have kids but for those that do, the kids love helping to make it. 

shredded Brussels sprouts sautéed in bacon fat with bacon bits of course

asparagus with Hollandaise sauce

mashed rutabaga with brown sugar and butter

roasted veggies (of any kind)

roasted cabbage wedges drizzled with butter (so freaking delicious)

I hope you weren't expecting me to only pick one. 

My favorite has always been the green bean casserole, and it stinks because I'm gluten free and can't have it any more. 

DH's family recipe cranberry sauce has grown on me.  He takes two bags of cranberries and one orange and runs it through a meat grinder (with a hand crank).  Then he adds sugar to taste.  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it, and I know you said you didn't have kids but for those that do, the kids love helping to make it. 

I think Living Without Magazine had a recipe for gf green bean casserole a few years back. You might search their website to see if they have links to it.

I adore that stuffing, but my sister, I just found out, doesn't like sausage in it. I never knew because she has lived across the country my entire adult life and we have never spent holidays together. I'm stunned by this development. I don't even know who she is anymore.

Collards. We adore collards, but raisins and citrus? That sounds amazing, and I don't even like raisins.

Oh, yeah....pie. I think you may be the one person who loves pie as much as I love pie.

Collards recipe, from Grub, by Bryant Terry and Anna Lappe

Sea salt

2 large bunches collards, chiffonade-d

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

2/3 cups raisins

1/3 cup orange juice

Have a large bowl of ice water and a colander ready.

Boil 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt. Add the collards and cook for 8 minutes uncovered.

Drain the collards and then plunge them right into the ice water to stop them from over cooking. Drain them again when they are cool.

Over medium heat warm the oil and add the garlic. Sauté for one minute.

Add the collards, raisins and salt to taste (1/2 a teaspoon should be enough), cook for a few more minutes. Raisins will plump, collards will be a nice bright green. Don't overcook.

Add the orange juice and cook for an additional 15 seconds.

Check seasoning and serve these things immediately.

They are delicious.

For the non-sausage eaters, Almira, I made a cornbread stuffing with cranberries that I stuffed into 1/2 acorn squashes and roasted. That was delicious.

Still, we always end up back with that Italian sausage rustic stuffing. So good.

And really, it might as well just be pie day. We usually end up eating pie all weekend.

I think Living Without Magazine had a recipe for gf green bean casserole a few years back. You might search their website to see if they have links to it.

Thanks!  I may have tried it.  One year I tried to do a gluten free version and it just wasn't very good.  Nobody ate it.  Maybe I could try again, but still make the other one for the family just in case. 

Lime Jello Salad.  The ingredients make it sound like the grossest thing ever made, but don't knock it until you try it.  At our house it is simply called, "Green Stuff,"  and it is requested for every holiday under the sun, but I am expected to make 2 batches of it for Thanksgiving.  We have used walnuts, but now it is usually slivered almonds.  I also make one without nuts for my ds with a tree nut allergy.

(Who in their right mind would think that mayo, cream cheese, and cool whip would taste good together??!)  

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/9c4gj0l0/congealed-salad.html - is close, but the proportions are not quite right.  I think it's 2 small lime jellos, 1 cup boiling water, 1 package cream cheese, 1 can crushed pineapple including juice (we like pineapple tidbits instead sometimes), 1 cup mayo, 1 cup cool whip, and nuts are optional.  I think that's it, but don't quote me on it. LOL

I said I don't have kids?  Really?  

My kids will be really mad at me for that!

I'll also have an extra "kid" here, as DD18's friend will be spending that week with us.

Maybe I accidentally implied it when I said my sister and I are doing the holidays, and we're grown ups and we can decide, blah blah blah, with no mention of anyone else.  

I said I don't have kids?  Really?  

My kids will be really mad at me for that!

I'll also have an extra "kid" here, as DD18's friend will be spending that week with us.

Maybe I accidentally implied it when I said my sister and I are doing the holidays, and we're grown ups and we can decide, blah blah blah, with no mention of anyone else.  

Well I thought that the kids were out of the house and you were doing something different this year for a grown up meal (hence the request for unique ideas) --not that you don't actually have kids.  I could have said that better.   :laugh: 

Stuffing. I never make or eat it except at the holidays, so it is a real treat.

Last year, when planning Thanksgiving, we decided to only make our favorite things as sides. So dinner was turkey, orange cranberry sauce, stuffing, and whatever my sister's favorite is (can't remember!). No one felt stuffed afterwards and we all were satisfied. (Plus, we had room to enjoy dessert!) It was a lot less work. It was a win-win.

If you like gravy on your sides just make a nice brown sauce the day before and heat it up.

Brown Sauce:

1/3 cup each: finely diced carrots, onions, and celery

3 tablespoons dice boiled ham (or diced lean bacon simmered for 10 minutes in water, rinsed and drained)

6 tablespoons clarified butter

4 tablespoons flour

6 cups boiling fresh brown stock or canned beef broth

2 tablespoons tomato paste

Use a heavy bottomed, 2-quart saucepan. Cook the vegetables and ham or bacon slowly in the butter, fat or oil for 10 minutes.

Blend the flour into the vegetables and stir continually over moderately low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the flour slowly turns a golden, nut brown. (This is called a Roux)

Remove from the heat. With a wire whip, immediately blend in all the boiling liquid (stock) at once. Beat in the tomato paste. Add the herb bouquet.

Simmer the sauce slowly, partially covered, for 2 hours or more, skimming off fat and scum as necessary. Add more liquid if the sauce thickens too much. You should end up with about 4 cups of sauce, thick enough to coat a spoon lightly. (see cooking tip).

Taste and correct the seasoning. Strain the sauce, pressing the juice out of the vegetables. Degrease it thoroughly. The sauce is ready to use.

This is Julia Child's recipe, as printed on Gourmet Sleuth.

When it says 2 hours or more, I make this an all day sauce. 6-8 hours. So good.

This is perhaps the main reason we eat stuff besides pie on Thanksgiving.

Our favorite here is parsnips, sliced and baked with butter and nutmeg, and drizzled with warm maple syrup.

I'm going to have to follow this thread closely, since it looks like we'll be hosting both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners this year.

Although I love turkey so I really wouldn't want to go without that part.  And gravy.  Gotta have gravy.  And stuffing.  And turkey...with the gravy and the stuffing.

Now I'm hungry.

Nooo!!!!!!  Not hominy!  I love the beans, but hominy must not cross the threshold of my home, much like organ meats.   :p

SSHHHHUUUUUNNNNN!! SHUN THE UNBELIEVER!

Tamales! 

We made ours last weekend and our freezer is packed.  :drool5:

I do love tamales. There was a tamale truck in Kansas City where I could buy tamales. I haven't found people to buy tamales from here in SC. :(

I was waiting tables at a Tex Mex restaurant during one holiday. They sent me home in time for my family's dinner so I showed up with a bunch of enchiladas. :lol:

Grated Polish Beets

Roast (or boil) whole unpeeled beets until soft when poked with paring knife.

Peel, grate on fine grater. (wear latex gloves if you don't want pink hands for the rest of the day)

Make roux of a bit of butter/margarine & flour. Add the beets, pinch of salt/pepper AND sugar plus squeeze of lemon juice. Stir & heat through.

Optional: add a tsp of horseradish if you like a bit of kick.

Cranberry relish - food process a bag of cranberries, and orange, and an apple into small chunks. Add in whatever sweetener you prefer, plus a little ginger and cinnamon. Top with whipped cream if desired.

This IS Thanksgiving to me, and DH and I have a discussion Every. Single. Year. that yes, this recipe really is that important to me.

Cranberry relish - food process a bag of cranberries, and orange, and an apple into small chunks. Add in whatever sweetener you prefer, plus a little ginger and cinnamon. Top with whipped cream if desired.

This IS Thanksgiving to me, and DH and I have a discussion Every. Single. Year. that yes, this recipe really is that important to me.

I love this stuff.  I miss it sorely when we're in a place where we can't find cranberries, but I tracked some down a couple of months ago and I have two bags waiting in the freezer for this Thanksgiving. :)  

Holidays are the time for 2 different styles of potatoes at my house.  Mashed and smoked gouda scalloped potatoes.  I use this recipe as a base: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/smoky-scalloped-potatoes-recipe.html

I do just 1 tsp smoked paprika and then 3/4 cup cheddar and 3/4 cup smoked gouda for the cheese.  Oh my.

I also do mushroom and onion stuffing in the crockpot.  No recipe, just torn italian bread pieces dried overnight, Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing, AND a bag of lightly crushed garlic and butter croutons as the bread portion.