Menu

What's your favorite holiday side dish?

AlmiraGulch

My sister and I are doing Thanksgiving together and have decided we don't even care if we have a main dish meat. Then we realized we're all grown up and don't have to have one, so we're not.  Hooray for adulthood!  Plus, or families won't care.

So we're making a side dish menu, but then thought it would be fun to add some new things.

Please share your favorite holiday side dishes.  Extra credit for non-traditional things, or traditional dishes made in non-traditional ways, or "different" ingredients.

Stuffing…made from Stove Top turkey dressing, with lots of extra chopped up onions and celery.

Emeril's butternut squash soup.  

Mashed potatoes……with a bit of nutmeg.

Glazed carrots made the totally old fashioned unhealthy way with brown sugar and butter.  Some people use a little OJ, but we don't.

We also like whole berry cranberry sauce….because in our family, Thanksgiving is all about the leftover Turkey sandwiches.. :)

We also make Turkish/Egyptian/Middle Eastern style green beans. http://english.turkishcookbook.com/2005/03/flat-beans-with-olive-oil.html

My dh and children are a bunch of duds at Thanksgiving, but if I ran the zoo, we'd have

Green beans with peanuts and fried shallots dressed with shallow oil, fish sauce, and lime juice

Raw cranberry salad

Really good cheese

Homemade raspberry jam

Borsak

Tamales with rajas and cheese

And pies. Lots of pies.

Alton Brown's green bean casserole is good. No cans of cream of mushroom. I usually use the big bag of haricots verts from TJs for the beans. It is fine refrigerated overnight without the topping, so you can prep it up to the baking point ahead of time.

Barefoot Contessa's spinach gratin

Roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic drizzle and goat cheese

Really great homemade rolls

Brussel sprouts, roasted in the oven with salt, pepper, and a little garlic. After they come out, let them cool a bit. Then add some crumbled cooled bacon and top with sour cream. Not even remotely healthy, but mmmm so good.If you don't want meat at *all*, rather than simply not wanting to bother with a turkey or ham, make it without the bacon. Sour cream makes everything better.

Twiced baked sweet potatoes with blue cheese.

When she hosted Thanksgiving my mil always made boiled pearl onions. Not the frozen ones; she bought them fresh. They took forever to cook (it seemed so, at least) but was yummy with just a bit of butter, salt and pepper.

When I was growing up Thanksgiving dinner included potato salad and sashimi! The sashimi was always my grandfather's contribution to big family gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Cornbread dressing

green bean casserole (cr of mushroom and all; I love it.  My mom calls it "snot casserole" lol)

scalloped sweet potatoes with chipotle

broccoli, rice, and cheddar casserole

squash casserole

lima beans

We are a starchy family at Thanksgiving.

People asked you to share? ;) I actually don't mind them too much but don't request them or buy them on my own. Dh likes them and buys them sometimes.

First of all, I didn't request them, but SIL made them b/c I like them. Others had them, but she didn't make very many, so I may have polished them off. 

Now I crave Brussels sprouts. But there's chocolate downstairs, so I might have to settle for chocolate.

I know you asked about sides but my crew is all about the appetizers. So for our Christmas meal, we serve nothing but a bunch of appetizers and they are thrilled.  We have dropped our other traditional Christmas meals in favor of appetizers (previously we had done fondue or homemade pizza with cheese in the crust).  For Thanksgiving my mom claims to serve lunch so one eats before she goes there but then doesn't have the meal ready until 3.  I've started bringing appetizers there as well.

Things I will make

Rainbow fruit platter

cheese/crackers

veggies and dips

meatballs in BBQ sauce

cherry/haberno sauce from costco (it's not spicy despite the name) over cream cheese on crackers

taco dip

little hot dogs wrapped in bacon or crescent rolls

plus whatever sparks my interest.

Just thought I'd throw out some other ideas that might go well with your paln

Alton Brown's green bean casserole is good. No cans of cream of mushroom. I usually use the big bag of haricots verts from TJs for the beans. It is fine refrigerated overnight without the topping, so you can prep it up to the baking point ahead of time.

I like those TJ's Haricots Verts in my green bean casserole as well.

I make mine ridiculous. I can't eat dairy but the family wants the green bean casserole. I spend extra time making mushroom soup from scratch w/o dairy and then I make it as usual. :lol:

Thanksgiving:

Dressing

Cranberry sauce

Roasted sweet potatoes with walnuts and maple syrup (just a little)

"Green Bean Casserole" -- but NOT the canned kind: we use frozen green beans, fresh mushrooms, homemade scratch cream sauce, and homemade fried caramelized onions. SO MUCH BETTER.  :drool5:

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Green salad

Cranberry salad

Rolls and butter

Last year at Christmas we had pot roast. I can't remember everything we had with it. I think we roasted potatoes and carrots with the meat. I know we must have had green salad and rolls. Maybe green beans sauteed with almonds? We don't really have a set Christmas menu.

DS1 loves brussel sprouts.  Please PM me or post your best recipes. He's upset that I don't make them more often.  

We (or I should say some of us) like them this way:

halve/quarter the Brussels sprouts

Cut up some carrots into similar-sized chunks. 

Sliver garlic

Toss all these together with olive oil and salt and pepper. 

Roast at a high temp (450?) until tender but not soggy. 

When they get done, pour some balsamic vinegar over them. 

Yum!

We eat a ridiculous amount of veggies at Thanksgiving, many of which are standards --

Green bean casserole

Roasted brussel sprouts with garlic and olive oil

Asparagus (because nothing says Thanksgiving like asparagus?)

Roasted sweet potatoes dusted with Moroccan spice blend (not sure what's in it, sort of cinnamon-ish gram masala-y)

Mashed potatoes with peels on them and garlic

Dinner rolls, stuffed with onions and butter (my mom's recipe... it doesn't sound right, but it really, really is)

Cranberries, fresh with orange juice

Homemade tofurkey (because we need to make gravy for the veggies).

We do apple, pumpkin and key lime pies.

Lest you think I oppress my carnivores, we do cocktail meatballs and pigs-in-a-blanket for appetizers. 

This stuffing:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Italian-Sausage-and-Bread-Stuffing-240559

It's amazing and great with or without turkey.

Also a mash with potatoes, carrots, roasted garlic and sunchokes. So freaking good.

Collards with raisins and citrus.

Roasted asparagus.

Cranberry sauce made with figs and port wine.

And pie. Glorious pie.

I don't like cranberry sauce or jello salads but I love this Cranberry Salad. It has no jello and uses real ingredients and I could eat it every day. http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/11/creamy-cranberry-salad-with-a-dairy-free-version.html

I had a green bean casserole at a local winery made with a mushroom pate instead of a cream sauce and crispy shallots on top. I think I will try to replicate it this year. I love a cream sauce but the mushroom pate added an umami-ness that was so satisfying.

I have made roasted vegetables with gremolata several times and love it: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Vegetables-with-Pecan-Gremolata-236485

Lastly, I'm not a big pumpkin or pie fan so I like to make this Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake. So yummy! http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/cubes-of-colossal-cheer/

We've been doing meatless Thanksgivings for 30 years or so. Some of our favorites:

• potato pancakes with homemade applesauce
  • sweet potatoes mashed with margarine and sugar/maple syrup and cinnamon - In the last few years, I've gotten fancy and baked this in a bundt pan lined with crushed pecans.
  • fresh (not canned) green beans sauteed with a ton of diced garlic and onions
  • cornbread muffins with a margarine-maple syrup blend

We like sweet potaoes sliced, layered with chopped apples, pecans brown sugar and little bits of butter.

We made charoset one year instead of cranberry sauce, but that did not go over too well with my in laws. They are a little weirded out by using real cranberrry sauce instead of the stuff that comes out of a can in one piece.

For Christmas, the past few years we have only had appetizers. For breakfast, I'll do scones or quiche but everything else is just like ham and cheese sandwhices, sausage balls, veggie plate, cheese and crackers and sweets.

This Looks good for a vegetable. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/sauteed-green-bean-mushroom-cipollini-onion-food-lab-recipe.html

I love Brussels sprouts but hate how they make the house smell - even oven roasted.

Scalloped oysters are a required side dish here. I like bread dressing.

Those green beans look really good!

I don't do oysters, though, unless they're roasted.  It's a texture thing.  

I know you asked about sides but my crew is all about the appetizers. So for our Christmas meal, we serve nothing but a bunch of appetizers and they are thrilled.  We have dropped our other traditional Christmas meals in favor of appetizers (previously we had done fondue or homemade pizza with cheese in the crust).  For Thanksgiving my mom claims to serve lunch so one eats before she goes there but then doesn't have the meal ready until 3.  I've started bringing appetizers there as well.

Things I will make

Rainbow fruit platter

cheese/crackers

veggies and dips

meatballs in BBQ sauce

cherry/haberno sauce from costco (it's not spicy despite the name) over cream cheese on crackers

taco dip

little hot dogs wrapped in bacon or crescent rolls

plus whatever sparks my interest.

Just thought I'd throw out some other ideas that might go well with your paln

I should have added that appetizers are fine, too.  Anything other than a main dish works for us.  

This stuffing:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Italian-Sausage-and-Bread-Stuffing-240559

It's amazing and great with or without turkey.

Also a mash with potatoes, carrots, roasted garlic and sunchokes. So freaking good.

Collards with raisins and citrus.

Roasted asparagus.

Cranberry sauce made with figs and port wine.

And pie. Glorious pie.

I adore that stuffing, but my sister, I just found out, doesn't like sausage in it.  I never knew because she has lived across the country my entire adult life and we have never spent holidays together. I'm stunned by this development.  I don't even know who she is anymore.  

Collards.  We adore collards, but raisins and citrus?  That sounds amazing, and I don't even like raisins.  

Oh, yeah....pie.  I think you may be the one person who loves pie as much as I love pie.  

Mmmm.......some of these things are definitely getting made in my house this year.  For sure.  

That cranberry salad someone posted earlier looks weird to me.  The picture looks like ham salad!  But it sounds amazing.  That's going the list for sure!!  And scalloped artichokes?  Oh, man....makes my mouth water. 

What else?  I want more.  MORE!  We need more!  Gluttony for all!

I like those TJ's Haricots Verts in my green bean casserole as well.

I make mine ridiculous. I can't eat dairy but the family wants the green bean casserole. I spend extra time making mushroom soup from scratch w/o dairy and then I make it as usual. :lol:

That's basically Alton's recipe! Of course he uses dairy-based products. I double the sauce for the 24 oz bag of beans. :)

I like the stuffing and mashed potatoes, but I like gravy on them, so you need to cook a turkey to get the good gravy. I do cheat most years and just do a turkey breast. I also like sweet potatoes and roasted butternut squash. I LOVE this pumpkin soup. I would marry this soup. I make it just like the recipe, except I add walnuts to the relish.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/pumpkin-soup-with-chili-cran-apple-relish-recipe.html