Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW 44

Robin M

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds gross. You should do it and tell us how gross it is!  :laugh:

Why would they do that? Is it to neutralise bitterness?

I may take a cucumber and try it just for the sake of doing so.  It seems like such an odd thing to do.

Here is the Lovecraft pumpkin that my son carved back in high school:

4059862598_ef158c3555.jpg

This is wonderful, Jane!! I bet he had fun carving it and even more fun enjoying the fruits of all that detailed work.

Susan Howatch lovers, (Jane, Dawn, Mumto2?) Penmarric and Cashelmara are both 1.99 kindle deals today.

This is wonderful, Jane!! I bet he had fun carving it and even more fun enjoying the fruits of all that detailed work.

Susan Howatch lovers, (Jane, Dawn, Mumto2?) Penmarric and Cashelmara are both 1.99 kindle deals today.

This is a good reminder that I have not read Cashelmara, a sweeping Howatch saga based on Edward Longshanks.  

And lastly has anyone read any William Gibson? Dh is a fan and is currently reading Zero History and thinks I might like it despite it being a genre that I rarely visit.

My husband is also a fan of William Gibson but he knows better than to recommend any of his works to me. :001_rolleyes: He has witnessed too many eyerolls!

I've read a few Gibsons' (Necromancer, Pattern Recognition at least) . He's okay. I like his ideas more than his execution. His characters are kind of flat and cold, vehicles really, but I did think of him when reading Marisha Pessl's Night Film this year. Where Pessl is straightforward and takes the mystery seriously, Gibson is so post-modernly cynical about our obsessive need for things to make sense. He doesn't really believe the clues come to a solution...resolution maybe, not not a solution. I think that makes Pessl more fun to read, but Gibson more prescient about our generation. 

He's really fun to follow on Twitter, if you do that kind of thing. He re-tweets all kinds of interesting things. Eclectic. 

I started My Antonia and love it. Lately, I've been thinking about identity and childhood.   I have memories of running wild on a turkey farm Northern Minnesota, what is was like to be little and struggle carrying buckets of slopping water on the dairy farm, to stand in the one room homestead and to wander through drafty barns that were built by Norwegian immigrants.  This cozy, beautifully written book fits into that nostalgia somehow.  I am so glad to be reading it.  

I love My Antonia so much. 

Sticking with Acceptance. It's getting better. Some interesting suggestions of duality, escalating evolution, reality, identity.

I don't know. I think I've gotten to the point of "accepting" it, at least there will be closure on what happens to the characters (I think), but I'm guessing the Southern Reach itself will remain open to interpretation. It would be fun to talk about that but I think that would bring on too many spoilers. 

Cucumbers & milk doesn't seem gross to me. I love Greek sauce made w/ yogurt & cucumbers. The British serve cucumber sandwiches w/ cream cheese, right? So, cucumber w/ milk seems like a variation on that. Maybe some sort of cucumber soup?

I make a cucumber-dill buttermilk bisque that is lovely in the hot, humid summer. Actually it was my mom's recipe but I've carried on the tradition.

Here is the Lovecraft pumpkin that my son carved back in high school:

Very impressive!  I'm lucky to do a couple of triangle for the eyes and some jagged cut outs for a mouth ....

I should suggest to my husband (who teaches/tutors math) that he carve a big Ï€ on our pumpkin; his students would probably consider that scary.   

Regards,

Kareni

Kind of half-read, half-skimmed Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight by Sharon Heller, Ph.D. I read it because I suspect (or know) that I'm sensory-defensive, esp. in regard to sound (also touch & smell, to a slightly lesser extent). It was fine, but I wasn't interested in a deep reading of it, all the theories & studies, yada, yada. Maybe I'm too old for it as I've (mostly) had to learn how to adapt throughout my life anyway. And, I already know I would love a sensory deprivation chamber. :lol:

Cucumbers & milk doesn't seem gross to me. I love Greek sauce made w/ yogurt & cucumbers. The British serve cucumber sandwiches w/ cream cheese, right? So, cucumber w/ milk seems like a variation on that. Maybe some sort of cucumber soup?

I love cucumber sandwiches except we use mayo instead of cream cheese and sprinkle a salt/spice mix of some sort on top.  I think its warm/hot cucumber that seems odd to me.

I love cucumber sandwiches except we use mayo instead of cream cheese and sprinkle a salt/spice mix of some sort on top.  I think its warm/hot cucumber that seems odd to me.

I don't eat beef anymore but I remember once having a Chinese dish of beef with cucumber.  Protein with squash does not sound weird but warm cucumber does for some reason.

Is there a backstory here?

Not a particularly interesting one!

My introduction to Howatch came in a convergence point.  I had dinner with an old high school friend who commented that she was planning on rereading Howatch's Starbridge series, a personal favorite of hers.  Shortly thereafter I discovered that both Ladydusk and SWB recommended the books.  I read them, I loved them.

But what I did not realize while reading them is that Howatch is alive and well and living outside of London. 

I am a girl who always has a few fantasy trips in the works. ;)

It's not the combination that sounds gross. It's the boiling of it. :ack2:

Completely agree, boiling it sounds yucky. Cucumber and cream cheese, pretty good.

Finally had a chance to finish Mercy Blade, the third in Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series. I really like this series. It took me a couple of chapter's to get back into it but after I remembered some formerly minor characters who became more central it moved along well.

Settled for now into Tales of Old-Time Texas, stories collected by folklorist J. Frank Dobie, who is buried not too far from here.

Excerpt of the day:

------------------

"The Bowie knife is the weapon most in vogue," wrote Francis C. Sheridan of the British Foreign Office, July 12, 1840, in an official report on the Republic of Texas. "During my stay on the coast, many murders were committed in the Island of Galveston and in the country, and I could never learn that one offender was brought to justice." Most of the Bowie knives in use, the reporter added, "are manufactured in Sheffield and Birmingham and brought over in British ships. I have seen one from Sheffield with a blade 18 inches long ornamented in beautiful tracery on the steel as 'The Genuine Arkansas Tooth Pick.' I have been offered another, also of British make, the vendor hinting that I might pay him a dollar more than he demanded, as it had tasted blood."

-------------------

This isn't really a story collection, as Dobie is more interested in providing historical context, alternative versions, and commentary than in simply amusing the reader. Definitely goes on the non-fiction shelf. Lots of fun, though.

In that awkward state of not knowing what I feel like reading next.

I want something with some moderate challenge, that won't disappoint. Something with clear, clean prose. Probably with a male voice.

Any suggestions ?

J. Frank Dobie meets those criteria! Wait, was "Will assist me in indulging my Texan self-obsession" one of the things you were looking for?

re milk and cucumbers:

:iagree: Love tzatziki.  Shukriyaa's summer soup sounds divine.  Cream cheese & cucumber sandwiches: a classic.  It's the boiling... :ack2:

I want something with some moderate challenge, that won't disappoint. Something with clear, clean prose. Probably with a male voice.

Any suggestions ?

Stacia didn't include the one she made me read, which in my opinion beautifully fits your bill: Wandering Falcon, by Jamil Ahmad.  Y'all know how I feel about Cloud Atlas, lol  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  but personally For Me it was greater-than-moderate challenge.  There is however a teeny tiny chance I could be overthinking it...

My family insisted I watch NCIS New Orleans tonight because they thought I would enjoy the show, esp. since it was the Halloween edition. I did enjoy it & it even had a spooky/October books theme (Dracula, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, along with The Cask of Amontillado)!

I still can't believe I haven't done any spooky reading. Maybe I'll have to catch up on it in November. :lol:

I don't believe this article from BookRiot has been posted.

15 Awesome Bookish Jack O’Lanterns by Kelly Jensen

There are some impressive carvers out there!

Regards,

Kareni

Those are so neat, but I wouldn't have the patience to do it.  Once I'm done gutting the pumpkin, pretty much just want to get er done.

Has anyone tried boiling cucumbers in milk?  The Bohemian family and the Russian immigrants do this in My Antonia. 

Blech, gag, urp!

Kind of half-read, half-skimmed Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight by Sharon Heller, Ph.D. I read it because I suspect (or know) that I'm sensory-defensive, esp. in regard to sound (also touch & smell, to a slightly lesser extent). It was fine, but I wasn't interested in a deep reading of it, all the theories & studies, yada, yada. Maybe I'm too old for it as I've (mostly) had to learn how to adapt throughout my life anyway. And, I already know I would love a sensory deprivation chamber. :lol:

Discovered I am sort of that way.  Having a kid with sensory issues makes you rethink those little things and big things that bother you.  Loud crowds, tight clothing, tags on clothes, ill fitting socks.  Hmm! 

Any suggestions ?

Male voices --- James Rollin's Sigma series. Lee Child's Jack Reacher.   Stephen King's Dark Tower series

I finished Dan Simmon's The Hollow Man.  Well written but too dark and grim and I hate weird endings.

Nora Roberts newest came in today: the 3rd book in her Cousin's O'Dwyer series "Blood Magick"    :hurray:

I finished another reread today; it's a paranormal romance by Thea Harrison, Kinked (The Elder Races Book 6).  The book has adult content, so beware.  And while the story stands alone, it would be best read after having read the previous books in the series.

"Two opponents must confront the cause of their obsessive fury in the latest Novel of the Elder Races…

As a harpy, Sentinel Aryal is accustomed to dealing with hate, but Sentinel Quentin Caeravorn manages to inspire in her a burning ire unlike anything she’s ever known. Aryal believes the new Sentinel to be a criminal, and vows to take him out as soon as the opportunity arises. But the harpy’s incessant wrath has pushed Quentin to the limit, and forces him to make a deadly vow of his own.

To put an end to the conflict, Dragos, Lord of the Wyr, sends them on a reconnaissance mission to the Elven land of Numenlaur. Forced to work together, Aryal and Quentin’s mutual antagonism escalates. Each fight draws forth more passion—culminating in an explosively sexual confrontation. But when their quest reveals real danger, Aryal and Quentin must resolve their differences in ways beyond the physical, before the entire Wyr is threatened."

Regards,

Kareni

Move over Paul Hogan I have a new crush.  PG Wodehouse.  

I've always thought he was pretty cute and had a certain charm but then I stumbled across this line in a book and *swoon*

“Bertie," he said, "I want your advice."

"Carry on."

"At least, not your advice, because that wouldn't be much good to anybody. I mean, you're a pretty consummate old ass, aren't you? Not that I want to hurt your feelings of course."

"No, no, I see that.†

I'm still laughing.  There's so many layers of funny there!

Last year for Spooky October I read Stoker's Dracula, The Historian, and finished my Dracula study with a factual history book Stacia found (can look it up if someone wants it). Also read Frankenstein. After all that I have been feeling a bit like a slacker with the paranormal buffet (otherwords a bit of this and that)I have been playing with for this year's Spooky until I realized I have had just about every kind of spooky creature I can think of in that buffet. My books haven't been the most serious, I seem to only be able to handle fluff these days, but vampires, witches, were creatures, demons, necromancers, and ghouls have all made an appearance. So not too bad overall. ;)

The system won't let me like things for some reason?  It says my reputation couldn't be added or something. :(

I finished The Winter People.  I'll just c&p my Goodreads review. 

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Not reading this one again. The writing was good. The story seemed kind of uneven and rambling to me, though. I was really confused at points as to what time it was, what was going on, etc. However this is a deeply disturbing book. It left me panicky and unable to sleep. This might be the creepiest book I've ever read. I think I'll go read books on macrame and leaf identification now.

Getting in just under the wire with some spooky fairy tale recs for our October theme. Some of these are truly macabre. Hard to imagine them in children's collections. But here they are. And for those interested in the analysis of their role in our psyches here's a Jungian take on them by the inimitable Marie Louise von Franz.

1. The Juniper Tree  A macabre tale by Grimm that inspired an opera by Philip Glass, a novel by Barbara Comyns, and an Icelandic movie starring Bjork 

2. The Rose Elf by HCA

3. The Robber Bridegroom by Grimm which also inspired a musical, a story by Pushkin of the same name as well as stories by Eudora Welty, Margaret Atwood and Neil Gaiman.

4. The Old Woman Who was Skinned Alive by Giambattista Basile. Very hard to find this fairy tale but here is a libravox link to recordings of some his stories which are some of the oldest known fairy tales.

5. Sun, Moon and Talia also by Giambattista Basile

Finished Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto by Gianni Rodari. It was delightfully wacky & weird, as all good fairy tales are. Falls in a category with Roald Dahl & Norton Juster, imo.

It was on a 'staff picks' page from Melville House a few years ago...

LAMBERTO, LAMBERTO, LAMBERTO
Gianni Rodari

I missed out on reading Gianni Rodari’s novels as a child, which is why I’m giving this book to my nieces and nephews this month, so they can experience the wonderful world of Lamberto. As one of Italy’s most beloved children’s writers, Rodari was able to deftly combine elements of fantasy and political intrigue in this colorful novel about death, greed, and media spectacles. It’s a book for all ages, but an appreciation of the absurd is key.
— Kathleen Massara, publicist

About Gianni Rodari (I just love his name -- so musical!):

GIANNI RODARI (October 23,1920–April 14,1980) was an Italian writer and journalist, most famous for his books for children. The recipient of Hans Christian Andersen Award in 1970, Rodari is a household name in Italy among educators and parents, not to mention children, and is considered by many literary historians to be the country’s most important writer of children’s literature in the twentieth century. Influenced by French surrealism and linguistics, Rodari advocated poetry and language play as a way to recover the rhythm and sound of oral tradition and nursery rhymes. He is the author of The Grammar of Fantasy, a classic manual for teachers, as well as many books for children.

Getting in just under the wire with some spooky fairy tale recs for our October theme. Some of these are truly macabre. Hard to imagine them in children's collections. But here they are. And for those interested in the analysis of their role in our psyche's here's a Jungian take on them by the inimitable Marie Louise von Franz.

1. The Juniper Tree  A macabre tale by Grimm that inspired an opera by Philip Glass, a novel by Barbara Comyns, and an Icelandic movie starring Bjork 

2. The Rose Elf by HCA

3. The Robber Bridegroom by Grimm which also inspired a musical, a story by Pushkin of the same name as well as stories by Eudora Welty, Margaret Atwood and Neil Gaiman.

4. The Old Woman Who was Skinned Alive by Giambattista Basile. Very hard to find this fairy tale but here is a libravox link to recordings of some his stories which are some of the oldest known fairy tales.

5. Sun, Moon and Talia also by Giambattista Basile

Thank you - these are great. Particularly enjoyed The Rose Elf!

Not a horror fan or a paranormal type (nor "normal" for that matter :laugh: ), but I was intrigued by the BBC Radio 4 Ex dramatization of The Mysteries of Udolpho, the 18th century Gothic tale that is that grandmother of them all.  Jane Austen has much to say of Ann Radcliffe's novel in Northanger Abbey.  The dramatization will take about two hours of your time and is pleasant company if you are doing kitchen chores as I was today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mhk06

Not a horror fan or a paranormal type (nor "normal" for that matter :laugh: ), but I was intrigued by the BBC Radio 4 Ex dramatization of The Mysteries of Udolpho, the 18th century Gothic tale that is that grandmother of them all. Jane Austen has much to say of Ann Radcliffe's novel in Northanger Abbey. The dramatization will take about two hours of your time and is pleasant company if you are doing kitchen chores as I was today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mhk06

Middle Girl was just sizing up NA as her possible next read, having finished Persuasion. I explained about Gothic romances, but don't think I'll advise her to read through Udolpho. Thanks for the link! Not that I dare try it without locking the children in the pantry first.

I finished In Your Dreams (The Blue Heron Series) by Kristan Higgins which was an enjoyable small town contemporary romance (some adult content).  It's the nth book in a series, but it would stand alone well.

"Everyone loves Jack Holland, but Emmaline Neal needs him. Her ex-fiancé is getting married in Malibu and, obviously, she can't go to the wedding alone. In Manningsport, New York, tall, blond and gorgeous Jack Holland is practically a cottage industry when it comes to rescuing desperate women. He knows the drill, Em figures, so he won't get the wrong idea. 

What Jack needs is an excuse to leave town. Ever since rescuing four teenagers from a car wreck, he's been hailed as a hero and the attention is making him itchy, especially since his too-pretty ex-wife is back, angling for a reunion. He's always liked Emmaline. She needs a weekend date? No problem. 

So when they wind up in bed together, Em chalks it up to red wine and chocolate cake, just one impulsive night not to be repeated. But Jack's pushing for more, and if she lets down her guard, either she'll get her heart crushed again, or discover that Jack's worth more than just dreaming about."

Regards,

Kareni

Just ran into this article about MC Beatonhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/9855458/The-mystery-of-crime-writer-MC-Beaton.html author of Hamish MacBeth and Agatha Raison after discovering she also is a pretty prolific regency romance writer. I will edit a link to those at the end, can only do one link at a time! Anyway they don't look bad. Has anyone read any of them?

ETA http://www.mcbeaton.com/uk//books/romances/ There are lots of these romances, not all recency......

A few books up for grabs. PM me if you want any of them:

The Translation of Dr. Apelles by David Treuer, published by Graywolf Press (enjoyed this modern Native American story)

Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto by Gianni Rodari, published by Melville House (wacky fun a la Roald Dahl)

You, or the Invention of Memory by Jonathan Baumbach, published by Dzanc Books (tried & couldn't get into)

Feathers Like Leather by Chris Leo, published by Heartworm Press (not in the mood for short stories & this has been on my shelves too long)

I am enjoying The Historian and still wishing I had more time to devote to it! *lol* I had grand plans of taking the day off of school with the kids so I could read it on the couch today. Alas, the kids were like, "Mooom! I am boooored! I have nothing to do!" So school work had to be trotted out against my will.

This afternoon I finished the contemporary romance Shelter Me (Second Chance Ranch) by Catherine Mann.  This proved to be a very enjoyable read though it did deal with issues such as animal abuse (nothing graphic), mourning, and depression.  I've previously read the author's military romantic suspense novels, but this was the first more mainstream book of hers that I've read.  I look forward to reading the next in the series when it comes out next year.

"Nestled in the sunny fields of Tennessee lies the McDaniel family’s Second Chance Ranch Animal Rescue. Two new arrivals are on their way, but only one is the four-legged kind.

Staff Sergeant Mike Kowalski wants only one thing after he gets home from Iraq: to sleep in a king-sized bed with clean sheets. But first, he has to hand off his fallen commander’s dog, Trooper, to his family without handing off his heart to Sierra…

Sierra McDaniel needs a break. Her family life is crazy, and when she’s not mucking out kennels, she’s slogging through grad school. Sierra certainly doesn’t want another dog, especially one that reminds her of her father. And she definitely doesn’t want to see Mike with that charming smile of his…

But Trooper has a mission of his own. Before too long Mike is moving to the ranch to lend a hand—and hoping for his own second chance with Sierra."

Occasionally the Trooper, the canine character, would narrate events which was charming and a tad reminiscent of Hank the Cowdog.  "United Steaks of America" amused me.

If I did the 5/5/5 categories, it occurs to me that this and my last book would both belong to the category of Romances Featuring Dogs on the Cover.

Regards,

Kareni

A few books up for grabs. PM me if you want any of them:

The Translation of Dr. Apelles by David Treuer, published by Graywolf Press (enjoyed this modern Native American story)

Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto by Gianni Rodari, published by Melville House (wacky fun a la Roald Dahl)

You, or the Invention of Memory by Jonathan Baumbach, published by Dzanc Books (tried & couldn't get into)

Feathers Like Leather by Chris Leo, published by Heartworm Press (not in the mood for short stories & this has been on my shelves too long)

Stacia, if no one asks for Lamberto, I would love to read it. :)

I read The Game and the Governess by Kate Noble today.http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-4767-4938-9#path/978-1-4767-4938-9. It was Ok. An Earl and his personal secretary switch places after a bet is made, the Earl needs too woo a lady without having his title in order to attract them. Good idea that went on forever without the satifying conclusion.