Menu

Not sure where to post this: recommendations for tours of Holy Land

My parents are wanting to gift my soon to be 16yo with a trip anywhere in the world with them!  He is thinking of Israel/ Holy Land.

So.......trying to search for a spring/ early summer 2015 trip to Israel for a teen + grandparents.  We definitely want the Christian perspective, but not *just* a religious trip.  

I'd feel more safe if they were with a tour company the entire time.  I've traveled internationally without a tour company, but I just would feel better knowing that their plans are all set from the moment they enter an airport until I pick them up.  Ideally.

Any recommendations?    

I went with Westminster Theologcal Seminary's tour program and it was excellent. Not inexpensive. Reformed theologically.

We got to meet an Israeli pastor, a Palestinian pastor, an archaeologist and an Isreali government offical. We stayed at the Dan in Tel Aviv, the King David in Jerusalem and a lovely old hotel right on the lake in Galilee. We had some reading to do before we went that was very helpful - explanations of the various religous and political groups, kosher food laws, general 20th century history of the region etc. We had a devotional at each place we visited, prepared by the trip leader or other pastors in the group, and Bible readings scheduled to correspond, for any who wanted to do that. Our Israeli tour guide was named Moses and our Bus driver was Elijah! :)

Many seminaries or graduate programs in Bible or theology run very good programs. Your son might enjoy one geared for college students. Reformed Theological Seminary and Grove City College both used to run good tours with an emphasis on archeology - they visited an active dig site and stayed a couple of nights at a kibbutz.

Your theological orientation could make a difference in the type of tour you choose. Many Christian tours are heavily dispensational and premillenial in their eschatology.

The size of the group makes a diference too. I liked our smaller one. We fit on a small bus, maybe 20-24 people.

I would certainly pay attention to State Dept. warnings about travel safety. Travel is never risk free and the Middle East always has a higher than most other places danger element. I remember feeling my stress level come down when we landed back in the U.S. They live with a huge tension and it is almost tangible.

But if you wait for peace in the Middle East to go to Israel, you will not go until Jesus comes back!

Tour comanies do not go to places where there is obvious danger of violence. They would not be in business long if they did. Israel makes millions of dollars on tourism and they do not want to jeopardize that.

While traveling in the Middle East is never without risk, I wouldn't hesitate to plan a trip there in 2015. It's nearly always fine to travel there and there's no way to predict what will be happening next spring or summer. We're planning a 2016 move back to the Middle East and certainly will be visiting Palestine while we're there unless it's absolutely unsafe.

We never used a tour group while we lived there so I don't have any specific suggestions. A tour that is geared toward teens and grandparents sounds like a great option if you can find one that fits your particular religious beliefs. Tour groups in Israel can be greatly influenced by religion and politics. I definitely agree that a smaller tour would be nice, and it also would be worth paying attention to the time of year, both for the weather and the annual events in the area. Good luck and I hope they have a wonderful time!