Menu

AG Bitty Twins or cheaper/smaller doll for almost 4 year old?

kentuckymom

Kittygirl loves dolls. She already has more dolls than she needs, but she wants another doll for Christmas. She says she doesn't want another baby doll, but rather a little girl doll.

In 3 or 4 years she'll receive an American Girl doll. I was already planning to get her one, but then I learned that my mother in law planned long ago to get one each for any granddaughters she had. My niece will be receiving one for her sixth birthday soon.

So of course a not quite 4 year old is not ready for and 18 inch AG doll, but my dilemma is this: what doll would be best in the meantime? I love the AG Bitty Twins, but they're pretty pricey.

There are some decent 18 inch dolls on the market for much less, and there's lots of 18 inch doll stuff available, but I'm not sure I could get over the fact that it's not an AG doll.

She has two corrolle babies which are well loved and well made, so I'm considering a 13 inch Corolle Les Cheries doll, but there's so much less stuff for dolls that size I'm not sure if it's the right way to go.

What would you do? Is there some kind of doll I'm overlooking?

My dds' favorite dolls hands down were the Götz 15" Maxy Muffin baby dolls.  They are also not cheap; run about $50 each.  They fit in Bitty Baby clothes.  Two of my dds shared a pair of Bitty Twins one year; they never got the play of the Götz dolls and they actually ended up being resold.  The Maxy Muffins mostly have hair, like the Bitty Twins (but nicer hair than they have), but I think there's a version that's a bald baby.  My dd loved the dolls with hair when they got just a bit older, but for a 4yo you might prefer a bald baby.

The Götz dolls kept on being the preferred dolls for play even after they got older and had the 18" AG dolls - which were played with and liked, but the Götz ones definitely got more play.

My DD has two separate Bitty Babies that she got when she was 3 or 4.   She is now 10 and we just put them away because she thinks she's "too old" for little baby dolls anymore.   They are in great condition and I am saving them, and all of their clothes, for a granddaughter to play with one day.

DD got her first 18 inch AG doll when she was 6 and she is still in great condition as well.   I will probably be saving those for a granddaughter too, as long as the hair holds up.

DS (5) and I love the Bitty Twins I got him at 3 1/2. One thing I love about them is that Walmart's preemie clothes fit them so adding outfits is cheap and you know they're washable. We got a couple matching outfits for the doll and DD when she was born and he loved that.

My 5yo dd loves dolls to death ... wants her Bitty (which she claimed from her bigger sister) to have a brother or sister.  I'm thinking about getting her the Bitty Twins.  We have a lot of AG stuff, so buying something else doesn't make much sense.  My oldest...12 1/2 yo still loves her AG doll.

My ds has both a bitty baby and the bitty twins (boy and girl). i really think the twins have gotten more play time. I had no idea you could buy then individually at the stores! Or if you really only want one, I would imagine it would be easy to find someone to go in with you on purchasing a set.