Menu

Algebra 2 at CC -- one semester or two?

My 11th grader is being tutored in geometry and should be done by the end of this semester. Her tutor is suggesting we have dd take Algebra II at the community college in the spring so that she'll be ready for the SAT. I'm concerned that a traditional college-speed course may drown her and her GPA. We have the option of taking Algebra II at the traditional high-school speed through the CC. The downside to that is having summer break between the two semesters, and she still might not be ready for the SAT in the fall of senior year.

What says the hive?

No, you don't assign a grade; there isn't a grade.  You register for the class under "Audit" and "Audit" appears on the transcript to acknowledge the work done, but to also indicate no tests were taken (at the college where I work, students who audit a class are not allowed to take the tests/quizzes).

OK, but how does that work on a transcript? Do I assign a mommy grade?

If she's permitted, as a dual enrolled student, to take remedial math classes, I'd have her take the CC placement test now, and then take the class she places into in the spring, the next one in the summer, and the next in the fall.  IMO that would likely give her the best opportunity to "catch up" and hopefully do well on the SAT/ACT in the early and late fall.   If she's enrolled at the CC, she should be able to get free tutoring.

I think the question is that the CC offers intermediate algebra as either a two-semester sequence or a one-semester course.

I would ask the CC as well if there is a procedure by which students who are doing poorly in the one-semester sequence can transfer to the two-semester sequence a little later than normal. Sometimes this is allowed and sometimes not. 

Our CC won't let high school students (homeschool or otherwise) take remedial classes. They want them to finish the high school classes in the high school setting before beginning CC classes. They are allowed to begin with College Algebra. 

Before you get too far along in your decision making path, I'd contact the CC. See what is allowed and have her take a placement test. There is no point in making plans until you really know your options.

I don't think you would be able to figure the grade, because there isn't a grade with tests.  I suppose you could administer the tests yourself and grade on that criteria, though.

Well, yeah, that's why I'm asking. How do I figure an audited class into her GPA? I don't see how I can give her credit for just auditing a class.

She hasn't taken the placement test yet. I was planning to give her the sample test from the CC website.

The tutor did geometry with her all summer, so it's possible she'd be willing to do it again if necessary.

This is why I'm suggesting that your daughter take the placement test now.  At the same time, you can speak with someone regarding dual enrollment and find out if an Intermediate Algebra course would even be an option for her as courses before College Algebra are usually considered remedial, and not available to dual enrolled students.  But your CC may allow this and the only way to know is to ask.  After she takes the placement test, then you can discuss her results with an advisor and someone in the math department to help your daughter decide which course would be the best for her.  As she is currently working on geometry, her algebra placement isn't likely to change much in the next couple of months.

Momtp2Ns I missed your post.  I could have just agreed with your suggestion!

Most average high schoolers do best with Algebra 2 over 2 semesters.

The one-semester class can be brutal-- think 2-3 hours of math homework PER DAY...  it can be a LOT to process.

Also the one semester course instructor will just skim through the lesson in class-- the students will most likely do much of the actual 'learning' in the math lab.  Very few CC math instructors will tutor students during their office hours-- that is what the school math lab is for!

When taking a CC math class I always recommend that students plan their class times so that they can at least begin their homework in the actual math lab where a tutor will be on hand to answer their questions.