Menu

Walking Dead 10/19 Discusssion *spoilers*

Heather in OK

Did I miss another thread where this is being discussed?

If not, here we go!!  :)

Um, EW!!  I know we all knew they were cannibals but….EW!  

Is it possible that the hunters/Termites use(d) the Rev to help lure in fresh meat?  I know they had all the signs but could they have also used him?

I think the Reverend locked his parishioners out of the church and possibly ate his wife. Note they showed him looking at a photo of (what I presume was) his wife while the leader of the cannibal group was talking about how they had no choice. I don't think he had anything to do with another group.

I think the Reverend locked his parishioners out of the church and possibly ate his wife. Note they showed him looking at a photo of (what I presume was) his wife while the leader of the cannibal group was talking about how they had no choice. I don't think he had anything to do with another group.

I thought his wife was one of the Zombies at the food bank?

And he would be cometely unable to take care of himself. I think, like the theory above, he had an arrangement with Terminus.

What is the Beth care with a cross connection? And why the hell is Carol so squirrelly still?

It's definitely possible that the Rev locked out his own people and that's why they said he'd burn for it, and it explains the claw marks. I also felt horrible for Bob. First he was surrounded by people drinking and he's trying to stop, then he loses his leg! At first I thought he had gotten bit (which would have explained the one last kiss thing which doesn't, now that I think about it, fit in with the drinking part), but nope.

I'm rather curious to see if the DC part is going to turn out the way they're hoping. Right now, in my opinion, it sounds like another CDC from Season 1.

I thought he'd been bitten, too.  I still hope he IS so that he can turn in the night and gnaw those stupid cannibal's faces off.  He'll be slowed down a bit, though. :P

I don't know what is up with Carol, but she's getting on my nerves!  I feel like she is becoming like Michonne was before M joined the group.  Solitary, not as trusting of anyone anymore, and only relying on herself, you know?  And now Michonne has become an integral part of their community so they are opposites (again)!  Just an interesting juxtaposition, I guess.

It's definitely possible that the Rev locked out his own people and that's why they said he'd burn for it, and it explains the claw marks. I also felt horrible for Bob. First he was surrounded by people drinking and he's trying to stop, then he loses his leg! At first I thought he had gotten bit (which would have explained the one last kiss thing which doesn't, now that I think about it, fit in with the drinking part), but nope.

I'm rather curious to see if the DC part is going to turn out the way they're hoping. Right now, in my opinion, it sounds like another CDC from Season 1.

Nice catch on the drinking.  I assumed he had been bitten but you may be correct.

This episode followed the comic very closely, so if you want, I can tell you what happens! Just kidding, I would never. Besides, I'm sure they won't follow it too closely. It is hard for me to even discuss it without wanting to think of what happens in the comic and then I'll spoil it. Ugh! The water-logged walkers were super gross!

This episode followed the comic very closely, so if you want, I can tell you what happens! Just kidding, I would never. Besides, I'm sure they won't follow it too closely. It is hard for me to even discuss it without wanting to think of what happens in the comic and then I'll spoil it. Ugh! The water-logged walkers were super gross!

I know the comic story line but they deviate enough from it that I no longer try to predict what will happen based on it. 

I thought Bob got bitten, but it could be the wine. Father Gabriel is a liar or just a coward. I agree about locking out the people. It could be he's in cahoots with whoever took Beth. 

I sat tense the entire episode, especially while they were chillin' in the church with the potluck dinner. 

I'm a bit disappointed in Maggie's character, she's barely said anything about trying to find Beth. 

I think Carol will tell Daryl about the girls and that will be their new bonding moment. 

I thought Bob got bitten, but it could be the wine. Father Gabriel is a liar or just a coward. I agree about locking out the people. It could be he's in cahoots with whoever took Beth. 

I sat tense the entire episode, especially while they were chillin' in the church with the potluck dinner. 

I'm a bit disappointed in Maggie's character, she's barely said anything about trying to find Beth. 

I think Carol will tell Daryl about the girls and that will be their new bonding moment. 

Now let's be fair...Father Gabriel could be a liar and a coward.

I think Father Gabriel knows something about Beth. The cross is too much of a coincidence. I think he isn't totally bad, though. Maybe I just don't want him to be bad, but I'm thinking he may be a guy who thinks he's doing something good and doesn't know everything that's going on. I hope they find Beth soon- I'm tired of waiting and starting to not even care. 

I thought Bob had been bitten and went outside to kill himself. I totally forgot about his alcohol problem. It was really sad at the end. Why would they keep him alive and eat him bit by bit? That seems excessively sadistic for people who don't take it personally. I hope I was right about him being about to shoot himself and that he was bitten on the leg they are eating! I wonder what happens if you eat zombie infected feet? Maybe cutting the leg off will save him and kill them. 

I'm happy the Carol and Rick seemed to reconcile. I don't blame Carol for being uncomfortable. She's got to wonder what everyone else thinks and after being kicked to the curb, she might be unsure about getting attached again. I think the whole Lizzie and Mika thing messed her head up more than it was. Not that I blame her- I'm sure I'd be a little off too if I'd been surviving a ZA! I hope Daryl brings her back to her best zombie apocalypse self. 

I asked the exact same thing and dh said because they have no way to preserve the meat. I thought, well, he's going to die soon probably. I think they should put him out of his misery. I mean, won't he bleed to death or something?

I overlooked this at first but it may have been that no one was able to get through the shutters. Or if they were outside banging on the windows and zombies attacked, then they didn't have time to break into a door/window.

They cauterized the wound. Keeping him alive makes sense since it can make him a source of meat over several weeks, in theory. It really bright me back to the book The Road. Great book but nightmare inducing years later. And it seems so unnecessary. Squirrels aplenty!

I overlooked this at first but it may have been that no one was able to get through the shutters. Or if they were outside banging on the windows and zombies attacked, then they didn't have time to break into a door/window.

I'm stumped (bwahahaha!!!) on the window thing.  With no signs of blood, let alone corpses, I find it hard to believe a zombie attack happened there.  But, yeah, it's not like those shutters would have held up to anyone who REALLY wanted to get in (enough to feel the reverend would "burn for this.")  

I have zero theories, which is annoying me. I always have theories, even if they're stupid!

I really don't like what's happened to Maggie or Glenn honestly. I get that they love each other, but it's comprimised the awesome roles they had in Season 1 & 2 and some in Season 3. I really hope they don't go the Lori route and have Maggie pregnant too. It would completely ruin what she's supposed to be.

I saw someone mention Rick not questioning Abraham more, and I agree. He's always been so untrusting of new people, yet he's accepted Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita without a second thought. Yet he asked his series of questions to the Father. What, because Glenn and their group were okay with the new group of the three Rick is okay too? It doesn't make sense with who he's been portrayed to be in the prior episodes.

Personally, I'd like for them to have some kind of "comes to blows" between Rick and Abraham. They're both leaders, they're both stubborn and set in their ways.

On a side note, Judith is growing into such an adorable little baby!

I don't think every able bodied person would be able to pry a window or door open, at least without having to watch their back 24/7 in the process. I'm thinking that those that tried gave up because it was too difficult. Then they retreated to the food pantry in town and were killed there?? Not really sure, though.

Agreed. So, he has guilt for their deaths.

Rick, Rick, Rick!! Take your own advice! Never let your guard down! And kill the bad guys the first time!

Something makes me think that Rick is using the DC crowd for something.  Like he doesn't really care what their goal is, because his goal is different somehow?  Maybe he doesn't believe that they have the cure, but he doesn't care because for now, they can be useful to the group.

I keep wondering how gas still works. I thought it *needed a stabilizer to last even one year.

DH and I keep asking the same thing. I think we aren't supposed to worry about that.

My first thought when they walked into the food bank was semi-clean clothes! I would have snatched a bunch of those clothes hanging there. I feel like I would be having a really hard time with old, crusty clothes, ya know, when I wasn't in immediate danger or starving ;).

I don't understand why going to DC even needs a discussion. All they do is walk, why not walk toward DC??? No one has a better idea, right?

It would be stupid to walk back to Atlanta (with the tank ) and I think DC must be just as bad. They really have no reason to believe that guy. Going to DC is nuts! At least make a plan that does not involve bringing Judith. Or her only parent.

I keep finding myself thinking about the improbability of there being such huge herds of zombies 2 years into the apocalypse. Wouldn't they be decomposing faster than that? Or does the zombie virus slow the progression?

I am pretty sure that Bob got bit at the food bank and he was going out into the woods to die. I hope that he somehow poisons the termites. What would zombie meat do to you - would they turn or would it make them sick or crazy?

After seeing what happened in Atlanta, I think it's a pipe dream to think that D.C. will be any better. I still don't buy that Eugene has any real cure. And even if he does, there is a very slim chance of there being anyone in D.C. that could help him to put it into action. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing what things look like elsewhere.

I keep finding myself thinking about the improbability of there being such huge herds of zombies 2 years into the apocalypse. Wouldn't they be decomposing faster than that? Or does the zombie virus slow the progression?

I am pretty sure that Bob got bit at the food bank and he was going out into the woods to die. I hope that he somehow poisons the termites. What would zombie meat do to you - would they turn or would it make them sick or crazy?

After seeing what happened in Atlanta, I think it's a pipe dream to think that D.C. will be any better. I still don't buy that Eugene has any real cure. And even if he does, there is a very slim chance of there being anyone in D.C. that could help him to put it into action. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing what things look like elsewhere.

Unlike a lot of the more popular shows of the last decade or so, WD doesn't have a defined story arc, with an already planned end.  With that in mind, they are going to have to do something to keep this show moving along.  A change in setting might be the thing. 

The last 2 episodes have been really dark.  I don't like it.  I can hang with zombie stuff because I think of it as just a disease.  And while the governor was also evil, it was in a mental breakdown sort of way, so I could hang with it.  Garreth is just plain evil.  Dh watched The Following for a while, and that show was just way too dark for me, and that scene with Garreth felt just like that.  

And while the governor was also evil, it was in a mental breakdown sort of way, so I could hang with it.  Garreth is just plain evil.

They did give that incredibly grim backstory last week, how Gareth & co put up signs to bring people there in good faith with horrifying results, worse than anything Rick's group has experienced.

I find Martin's brand of apathetic amorality more interesting, though.  Last week when he encouraged Tyreese to take the baby and run because he didn't want to kill them. "I don't want to do this today".  Evil, but not "hey a great place to eat this leg is in front of the guy we cut it off of" evil.

Anything with zombies is going to require a pretty strong suspension of disbelief with regard to the zombies themselves.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d-4lc5rPcck

He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. He says that you don't turn into something just by being bitten by it? Vampires have been proving that fact for centuries. And he calls himself a scientist!?

I think we can probably rule that one out.  I would imagine that, as cannibals, the Termites got into the habit of checking over their food for bite marks pretty carefully.  I'm sure they don't want to find out what happens if you eat infected meat.  And if Bob had been bitten on the leg they ended up removing, they definitely would have noticed before cooking it.

And if you think about it, the zombies must either have two different viruses, or there is a single virus that functions differently in the walkers.  If everyone is already infected with the zombie virus, getting bitten by one wouldn't kill you.  Therefore, the walkers either carry a different virus that kills you fairly quickly and allows the zombie virus to then propogate, or the saliva of the walkers is somehow toxic and kills you if it gets into your bloodstream.  Either way, I doubt the Termites want that in their food, so they probably check people for bite marks before they chow down.

Also, I think I'm traumatized from that last scene.  Ugh.

so, did you watch?

Another intense episode. So yep, Bob was bitten. They addressed "tainted meat" but we still don't know if it has any effect. And we may never know.

I gotta say it again, "stop going outside alone!!" lol. Come on...

He was bitten while with the group though. It wouldn't have mattered if he died because he was dead already. I didn't like him anyway.

Who did Darryl come out of the woods with?

Darryl and Carol went off after that car and we'll probably see flashbacks of what happened to them in the next episode or two...because I think Darryl is being forced to lead someone/some people to the group, with Carol held as hostage or something like that.  He did NOT seem thrilled to be asking whoever was in the woods behind him to come out!  Our family burst out yelling, "Oh, come ON!"  at the cliffhanger.  LOL

I'm so glad that Garreth and co are dead. I did not like how dark that storyline was. Time to figure out wth is happening to Beth. Also, Maggie just took off without finding her sister- what's up with that? (Though I actually find Beth's character annoying, so I haven't missed her)

I'll miss Bob, he was a dose of messed up reality. 

I also can't help thinking he's needs his own song, "Tainted Bob", we could use Soft Cell's Tainted Love and change the lyrics. I'm also kind of delirious from not sleeping well. 

I do think Judith needs an award for facial expressions. Somehow they capture exactly the right sentiment on her face. 

I think either Morgan is with Darryl or someone from the camp where Beth was. I hope Carol isn't gone and maybe it's just Beth and Carol. 

I didn't like Bob, either. Dh says I'm heartless.

Dh thinks Carol is dead.

I don't think she's dead, but I don't think that was her coming out of the bushes. I think she's in trouble.

I do think Judith needs an award for facial expressions. Somehow they capture exactly the right sentiment on her face. 

I've read several references to the fact that she's a daddy's girl and he gets her to do all of that. So cute!!

So I guess that squashes any rumors about Gareth becoming a series regular. I was relieved that that plot line was dealt with swiftly. The whole cannibal thing was just too horrid to dwell on for so long.

I'm also glad the group split up - you can't have two alpha males in the same group. It just won't go well for anyone. I'm a little irked that the 6 of them took the bus though - doesn't Rick have the bigger group? Shouldn't he be the one who gets to use the bus? How are they supposed to follow them to D.C.? On foot? Or just hope they come across another bus or a couple of working cars?

We're finally going to get to see where Beth has been - and it looks like Atlanta and some kind of hospital...they did say we'd be seeing Atlanta again. I wonder if Daryl and Carol will be able to get her out. And who came back with Daryl? I like to think it's Morgan, but it's probably some kind of hostage situation with Beth and Carol...maybe Carol is still at the hospital as "insurance" that Daryl would bring the rest of them back. Or he's brought back Beth along with Carol and we're going to do a flashback to where Beth has been, like they did last season with the Governor.

So I guess that squashes any rumors about Gareth becoming a series regular. I was relieved that that plot line was dealt with swiftly. The whole cannibal thing was just too horrid to dwell on for so long.

I was (happily) surprised, because his IMDB page says "He also portray's as Gareth on television series The Walking Dead (2013-2014) hosted by AMC Studios,he is also a series regular and main antagonist for Season 5 of AMC's The Walking Dead."  LIES!

I just can't see Daryl being forced to do anything like that. And, why would someone want to be led to a church in the middle of nowhere??

I think Carol and Beth are going to step out and we'll get an episode of where Beth has been.

So sad for Sasha.

Not happy about splitting up the group at all!!

Glad to see Gareth get what he deserved but I worry about what it says about Rick and his group. That was brutal!

Dh and I didn't have time to watch it until last night.

I don't care about Bob one way or another.  It was pretty obvious after the food pantry scene that he was bit so even though the incident with the hunters was disgusting, I was ready for Bob to die.  

My favorite scene was Tyrese peeking out of the room he was hiding in.  Looked around and slowly backed up into the room.    Big guy comes out to see the bloody mess and I imagine him thinking, "Uh yeah..I'm just gonna go back in here…"  LOL 

I'm thinking Daryl has Morgan or Beth.  If he has Beth then, like Emily said, we'll "hear" her story in flashbacks.