Menu

How do you create that "homey-ness" in your home?

Tohru

There are some homes I walk into and I think, wow, I love how they decorated, or it just feels so friendly, welcoming, inviting - there is a distinct "homey" feeling that I can't identify. 

I clean, my house is fairly tidy most days, it's just the little things that I can't figure out.  When I was growing up, we lived in military housing with military furnishings and my mother was very minimalistic. As an adult, I really don't know how to decorate or create that "homey" atmosphere.

I'd love to have some suggestions. Any hints or tips? 

What's homey to one person is different to another.  If you want to figure out what the things you love have in common, start with a pinterest board of home decor looks you love.  When you have 20 or 30 minimum, post your board here (or instant message it to me if you want to keep it private), and I'll help you figure out what it is that you love.

Warm colors, candles and/or pleasant scents, decorated walls. Comfortable and inviting places to sit with lots of pillows.

I'm currently undergoing some massive redecoration and have decided to only surround myself with things I love. I'm trying to become more minimal because in reality I'm quite the maximalist, I cannot stand a bare wall or any empty spot and although my home is warm and inviting (also in military housing) we just have too much stuff.

What's funny is that I can make other people's houses homey, but I can't make mine that way!  We live in military housing, and I've always tried to make it feel like home, but it feels forced to me.  My friends all love my house, and have asked me to come over and help them.  When I work at their houses, it comes out exactly the way I want and feels homey, but mine just doesn't.  Of course that could be because we don't live the way I'd like to, simply out of necessity.  I also really like pale colors, but I live with 3 boys and 2 dogs, so it's just not practical.  They also don't care for the simple, comfy English Country style I like.  Sigh.  One day I will have a room that is all mine and I will decorate it any way I want and dare them to come in and make a mess.

Have you seen the movie The Holiday with Kate Winslet? She swaps houses with Cameron Diaz? Look at the various houses in that movie. Look for elements that you feel say "home."

Things that read homey to me: soft elements like curtains, pillows, throws and rugs; personal items like frames, knick knacks, candles; a variety of ways of holding items like boxes or baskets; a color palette that is varied but goes together; things that look old and things that look new; flowers; interesting things in the wall, not just one picture in the middle of the wall.

I want to live in Bag End. ;)

http://apilgriminnarnia.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/bag-end-inside-hobbit.jpg

Have you seen the movie The Holiday with Kate Winslet? She swaps houses with Cameron Diaz? Look at the various houses in that movie. Look for elements that you feel say "home."

Things that read homey to me: soft elements like curtains, pillows, throws and rugs; personal items like frames, knick knacks, candles; a variety of ways of holding items like boxes or baskets; a color palette that is varied but goes together; things that look old and things that look new; flowers; interesting things in the wall, not just one picture in the middle of the wall.

I want to live in Bag End. ;)

http://apilgriminnarnia.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/bag-end-inside-hobbit.jpg

I love the house that Kate Winslet had in The Holiday.  I would love to live in a home like that, but no one else around here would go for it.  Boys!  Boo!

I am absolutely not a decorator, but for me when I see a home that's "homey" as opposed to one that is not, the difference is personal items. My cousin's house is beautiful and very tastefully decorated. But, there is nothing in it that says "her". It could be anyone's house , a hotel lobby or even a picture from a magazine. My aunt's house, otoh, (and they are not related), while also gorgeous and tastefully decorated, has paintings they love, photos from my aunt's childhood in beautiful frames, artifacts from places they've been. It's about them. My house, while a perpetual mess, and me, not having the money or talent to decorate, does have lots of pictures of our family, and things we love. I try to keep fresh flowers from the yard on the kitchen table (in the winter it's usually evergreen twigs and berries).

I think ideas of homeyness will vary widely.  I personally don't like excessive decoration.  I don't like knickknacks.  I do like artwork on the walls.  I don't want to live in something that looks like it's awaiting a photo shoot for a decorating magazine. 

I tend more towards the practical.  I don't like stuff like cut flowers.  I'd rather have a pot of basil (although I will inevitably kill it). 

I hang my children's artwork up all over the house.  I love looking at it. 

Hmmm... the cottage is a certain kind of homey style.  It feels a bit.... I don't know, chintzy/dated to me.  And the California house felt too 'designed' to me.

I agree with a PP - homey houses have something individual about them, to stop them seeming 'bought' rather than lived.  Every family has something: a hobby, a family background, a trip that could produce an individual look.

L

I've had people tell me my house is homey, but it's not something I've worked at or done on purpose.  We have a rambling old farmhouse (1700s) have lots of books around and often some kind of science experiment brewing on the counter. LOL  Most of our furniture is mismatched and hand me down antiques so, definitely not fussy.  I like having plants around and flowers from my garden.  No knick knacks-- pretty much everything I have is functional in some way or if not than it's something I picked up abroad and reminds me of my travels.  But who knows?  I'm sure lots of people wouldn't like our home-- like someone else said taste is such a subjective thing.  (Oh, and I forgot to mention baskets of yarn and knitting projects.  :D )

I agree with starting a pinterest board to give you some inspiration-- great idea!

To me a homey house is a house that reflects the people living there. It is personal, so will be different for everyone. For me, I just try to surround myself with things I love, without being cluttered. This means most of it is very practical - a beautiful bookcase, paintings that bring me joy, blankets for warmth on the couch, etc. I also tend to think a homey house can't be made at once, because the things inside it are a reflection of a life, and that takes time to build/acquire.

People think my house is homey. Here's why I think it is:

It's small. So, right there, it feels like you're all snuggled into the house. It's from 1949, so it has character. Many newer houses just don't. Newer houses are all about clean lines and cavernous rooms. To me (and this is soooo subjective) clean lines and cavernous rooms is not homey.

It's very, very colorful. The living room is olive green, which goes right into the dining room which is a yellow with a hint of orange. The kitchen is orange. One bathroom is a rich blue the other a sage green. The playroom is a crazy-bright yellow, the boy's room is a deep blue, my bedroom is a cream color and it needs to go. I need something more colorful in there, but I hate painting.

The walls don't have skimpy pictures. A couple of tiny pictures on a big expanse of wall is cold looking. I went to Odd Lots and places like that and got big colorful pictures.

Like others have said, the knick knacks reflect my family.

There is wall to wall furniture and bookcases in almost every room. It's not cluttered, but it's full.

And of course, someone else could read the above description and think, "That sounds horrible! Not my idea of homey at all!"

I like other people's ideas of collecting things on Pinterest that strike your fancy and then starting to implement them.

If I had to give the best advice for homey I'd say: color and big pictures on the walls.

Well, I like a clean smelling house as well. Smells mean a ton to ME and I have always had a scentsy wax burning, or a candle. Plug ins.. or even spraying a bit of febreze. I love how my house smells right after mopping it. Some how those scents, like baking bread as well, make my home feel more homey

Unfortunately, I have been instructed to stop it with all the "smell chemicals" and I am really struggling myself. My house doesn't smell like home any more. It doesn't smell of pinesol on the weekends and fresh air from windows open..

I agree there are layers to a homey feeling home and I know scent is just one of those layers for me. I like eclectic furniture that seems to have a story or a history. I don't like everything to be super matchy. I like pillows and comfortable throws and blankets to snuggle. I like lots of light and uncluttered surfaces.

eta: any ideas to add a nice clean smell that is pet and asthma friendly? My kitty has asthma and after learning about all those chemicals and what they can do, I feel compelled to remove them from my home for my family's sake in addition to our pet's sake.

Well, I like a clean smelling house as well. Smells mean a ton to ME and I have always had a scentsy wax burning, or a candle. Plug ins.. or even spraying a bit of febreze. I love how my house smells right after mopping it. Some how those scents, like baking bread as well, make my home feel more homey

Unfortunately, I have been instructed to stop it with all the "smell chemicals" and I am really struggling myself. My house doesn't smell like home any more. It doesn't smell of pinesol on the weekends and fresh air from windows open..

I agree there are layers to a homey feeling home and I know scent is just one of those layers for me. I like eclectic furniture that seems to have a story or a history. I don't like everything to be super matchy. I like pillows and comfortable throws and blankets to snuggle. I like lots of light and uncluttered surfaces.

eta: any ideas to add a nice clean smell that is pet and asthma friendly? My kitty has asthma and after learning about all those chemicals and what they can do, I feel compelled to remove them from my home for my family's sake in addition to our pet's sake.

Try a diffuser with essential oils. You can do a citrus scent for the pine sol smell. :)

Hmmm... the cottage is a certain kind of homey style. It feels a bit.... I don't know, chintzy/dated to me. And the California house felt too 'designed' to me.

I agree with a PP - homey houses have something individual about them, to stop them seeming 'bought' rather than lived. Every family has something: a hobby, a family background, a trip that could produce an individual look.

L

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that anyone should take decorating tips from it in general. :D

If you watch the movie, there are several homes that offer different levels of homeyness-people's characters are revealed through comfort versus style/design. That is what I meant. Which elements of the various homes in the movie (not just the main two) imply homeyness versus coldness and sterility *or* lack of care? Those are the types of things that will work toward making a house feel homey, even if the design aesthetic changes. Does that make more sense?

Try a diffuser with essential oils. You can do a citrus scent for the pine sol smell. :)

I would do a bunch of research before using much essential oil in a home with a cat.  There's a lot of info that says EOs are dangerous to use around cats.  A few sources I've found say they're okay used carefully.  Other sources advise not using them at all.

For me, fresh flowers help make a home more homelike.   I buy them every few weeks when I do the grocery shopping.   By changing the water, trimming the stems,  and adding a bit of bleach they'll last two-three weeks.  I use the included plant food for the original vase of water.   Aldi's has wonderful bouquets for only $4, or I'll sometimes buy a large bouquet for about $12 and split it into several vases around the house. 

Whenever I want to feel that extra homey feeling, I start baking fresh bread. If it is cold outside,I put on a fire.

Cleanliness always makes my house feel homey to me. I hate crumbs and dirty dishes. I have very simple decorations and a few candles.

I also believe it is the spirit of the home that makes it homey. If the home is filled with love and fun, it will reflect that. If it is filled with anger and bitterness, it will reflect that as well.

OK.  I had never heard of this movie.

Here's someone's blog, with lots of photos of the actual set.

Yes, sadly, it is all just a set, but a phenomenal "homey" home!

http://hookedonhouses.net/2010/12/05/kate-winslets-english-cottage-in-the-holiday/

I love this.

I sometimes boil orange peels or lemons with cinnamon and cloves. Just keep it at a low simmer.

books

the right paint color - paint can make a world of difference

items that get used or mean something

Remember that home decorating party company - the name totally eludes me at the moment. oh, Home Interiors. Some nice stuff, but if you used it all in one room, your house looked like a catalog, not a reflection of you. 

I also think the right artwork makes a world of different. I dislike most generic prints. I use posters, a lot of hand made art (not necessarily museum quality, but sentimental), we have a Japanese flag in the living room. 

If I look around my house, everything hanging reflects our personalities and likes. 

I don't keep everything picture-perfect tidy.  I clean bathrooms, bedrooms, the kitchen with regularity, but I don't do white glove tests to check for dust.  I baby-proof enough that I can keep youngest dear nephew from most dangers, but not so much that it hampers the regular flow of the rooms.  I have plastic dishes as well as breakables, and I allow eating in the living room (though only adults get to eat on the new couch).

Mostly I stopped worrying about what people might think of my home and started inviting them in.  Turns out this inviting attitude is the biggest element to a homey home!

For our family...it's big German furniture, ficus trees wrapped in white lights, candles being lit each night, warm blankets on the sofas, soft music playing in the background...warm colors on the walls ....it's what works for us.  I think it's different for each family.

I like to add seasonal touches to my home. Now I have a lot of fall decor. My mantle is decorated with fall leaves and candles and cute little owls and woodland creatures. I have several blankets in a wicker basket and piles of pillows tucked out of view next to the couch for the kids to pile on the floor. I also like to light candles and have a fire going in the cool weather. I struggle with making my home look homey in the heat of the summer. 

The homiest houses, for me, have personality. They reflect something about the family. And they are not matchy-matchy or sterile looking.

We've tried to decorate our house to reflect US!

So the artwork is artwork from my family. (My dh and I took a painting class, but bright, colorful Kids' drawings can look like decor in nice frames with mats) The soft furnishings are often quilts that I or other relatives have made. (Even if you're not crafty or whatever, you can find gorgeous afghans at thrift stores. It makes me sad to see something that someone obviously spent time on in Goodwill. But that's another story)

The furniture might not all be "perfect," but maybe refinished.

Never pristine and cold. You can see the interests of the family from what's around. Books on the shelves and coffee tables.

I have violets in the living room.

Also, use a variety of textures to create interest. Afghans, rugs, throw pillows are all ways to add texture with soft furnishings.