Menu

the FUN in fundamentals

We scaled back a few weeks back, maybe mid-September, because of all the stress we had going on. 

We got into a rhythm of math, writing, reading, and some discussion. I cut out everything that was causing stress.

Then my hubby asked what we had done in school on Wednesday, and all I could say was, "We plodded along in developing skills." 

So, Friday was took the day off. We did an art lesson then my son wrote a persuasive letter (why yoyoing is a good hobby) to a cousin and my daughters wrote and illustrated stories. I showed them al electronics project I did in college and explained the parts to them. We did our German lesson and then watched a cartoon in German. 

I'm not sure how to add back in the things that give us that spark of delight on a daily basis, but at least this week ended on a good note! 

(My kids always read, but I want them to be able to discuss and interact with their reading. I'm having a hard time with that now.)

(Just now, my daughter brought me a circuit board she found! I guess she liked the electronics lesson...)

My son wants to meet your daughter. He has a collection of circuit boards and his ideal birthday gift? "A pile of junk I can dissect."

We had an awesome grammar lesson Wednesday (before some of us went down with illness) that involved reading The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, parsing a few sentences, and then rewriting those sentences removing every prepositional phrase, as we concluded from the parsing exercise that Irving was fond of them. We decided that we improved the clarity, but lost some of the spookiness and a lot of the style. It was a nice way to mix fundamentals (parts of speech) with literature and writing. Who says fundamentals can't be FUN?

Emily,

It's so good to see that you are able to continue homeschooling as your family grieves together. I know for me it was brutal some days because it seemed all of my mind and energy was on grieving and it was really hard to sit down and do Algebra II. So, a hearty pat on the back to you for plodding through in developing skills and taking a break for some fun. I'm glad you've been able to eliminate the stress inducers for now.  Here's to another good week!

Lisa