Menu

Knitters, what are you working on??

Moxie

I haven't knit this but about a zillion other people have: February Lady Sweater. A couple others I hear about often are Vitamin D and Featherweight Cardigan. A search on 3/4 sleeve brings up this. It's certainly not an exhaustive list--just patterns tagged with 3/4 sleeve--but it looks like a good start.

The February Lady Sweater is darling!  Great ideas!

Someone linked to Tiny Owl patterns--swooning.  I think I may try Grimm's Cottage for a gift.  It uses super chunky yarn so it should be quick.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The February Lady Sweater is darling! Great ideas!

Someone linked to Tiny Owl patterns--swooning. I think I may try Grimm's Cottage for a gift. It uses super chunky yarn so it should be quick.

Jane, it is lovely. Very tempting. Your cape led me to look at the Woodland Knits Bookhttp://tinyowlknits.wordpress.com/woodland-knits/ I love the cream chunky cabled cape with the hood. I may have to buy the book because I think the Midsummer's hat is lovely too, for dd not me. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to make these sock, but they seem so loose on the leg for the two inches I knitted so far. I love the pattern and the color. But how do you make the leg part tighter? I use size 1 needles.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nutkin

The stockinette to the cuff will be wider than a ribbed top. So you could change it from stockinette to ribbing though that will also change the overall look. Another thought--if you're getting an average gauge, about 8 sts/in, then it's possible the pattern just is too big for you. If you're on the small side you might need a pattern that has only 60 or even 56 sts around. Or you could try using US0s to decrease the size.

It might be possible to adjust the pattern for fewer stitches but I can't check that very well right now because I'm on my phone and it's not behaving nicely.

Cinder, thanks for the ideas.

Here is what I switched to.

This is very similar, but easier and hopefully tighter fit.

http://library.ravelry.com/Gidgettm/60540/Tadpoles.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJNNSUP6J3RN4WZYQ&Expires=1418665193&Signature=uln13s7Ci8Wm5pcLer8%2FDiD36WI%3D

I use size 1 needles.

By the way, where do you buy needles? I need to get size 0 and size 1.

Cinder, thanks for the ideas.

Here is what I switched to.

This is very similar, but easier and hopefully tighter fit.

http://library.ravelry.com/Gidgettm/60540/Tadpoles.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJNNSUP6J3RN4WZYQ&Expires=1418665193&Signature=uln13s7Ci8Wm5pcLer8%2FDiD36WI%3D

I use size 1 needles.

By the way, where do you buy needles? I need to get size 0 and size 1.

Your link didn't work for me.

So far for needles--I prefer dpn's for socks--I've been using my old KP Harmony. But when my 0's broke and I reordered from them I didn't like the newer version. The tips weren't as pointy and the surface of the needle felt stickier. I think they switched manufacturers. So I'm reluctant to order more. I've also tried Clover Takumi for 1's. They're bendier than the Harmony, which isn't a problem for me. But what is a problem is they engrave each needle with the brand and size and my yarn sticks a bit when trying to slide on the needle. I sanded it down with an emery board and that helped. But I'm also considering what other types of needles I might try. I really like wood more than metal, though.

When I knit socks I use anything from a size 0 to a size 2 needles all of my needles are Hiya Hiyas.  I have an interchangeable set for size 2-8 and fixed circulars for size 0-1.5  I buy them from Amazon.  I do all my knitting on circular needles and prefer to do socks two at a time with the magic loop method.  I never have 2nd sock syndrome because they are both done at the same time.

I like to knit socks and use size 0 or 1. I bend metal and break wood needles that small, so I tried Karbonz by Knitter's Pride. I LOVE them. I use 2 circulars. 

How slick is the surface? I find metal too slick, bamboo a bit sticky. To me Harmony wood is in between and I like that a lot.

How slick is the surface? I find metal too slick, bamboo a bit sticky. To me Harmony wood is in between and I like that a lot.

A happy medium, I would say. They do have a fairly pointy metal tip. This concerned me, as I'm a tight knitter and knit at the tips, but I've been working on that and it hasn't cause me any trouble. (I've had to tear out work in the past, because it was so tight, I couldn't move it) The cord is very flexible. 

A happy medium, I would say. They do have a fairly pointy metal tip. This concerned me, as I'm a tight knitter and knit at the tips, but I've been working on that and it hasn't cause me any trouble. (I've had to tear out work in the past, because it was so tight, I couldn't move it) The cord is very flexible. 

Thanks--I will probably try the US1 and see how I like them. I'm seeing a lot of good reviews on Webs and Amazon too.

I ordered this today! Can't beat the price and the free shipping. It takes long to get here, though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OAO1QG/ref=pe_385040_127541860_TE_3p_dp_1

I started this yesterday and found after knitting the whole pattern one time that it turned out too loose for me.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nutkin

So I switched to this pattern, which is basically the same pattern, but a tighter fit and easier to knit.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tadpoles

I thought I would like DPNs better than magic loop and then my 13 year old daughter said to me, "Mom why do you use those, this way is so easy. When ever you use all those needles it looks like your wrestling with a porcupine" LOL I tried magic loop and it was much easier.

I love magic loops bc I can knit two at a time. Woot! No more second sock/mitten syndrome!

But I still love DPNs too. I like small needles for small projects. I made some little santa ornaments one DPNs and I think it would have been equally fiddly on a huge magic loop for a project with a one inch circumference.

Also, I hated magic loop until I found interchangeables with cords I love. I think the Karnation cords beat out my knitter pride and chicagoo cords easy. The only ones I've seen more pliable are Kolage squares, but they are all fixed I think.

But yeah when people see me working 5 DPNs, they really look awed or sorta feeling bad for me. LOL

I'm attempting the make these for the very first time.  :001_smile: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/thrumming-away-mittens I am learning so much already!  I am using a chunky red yarn with black roving for the thrums.  I just figured out how to do the twisted rib for the cuff.  Now if I cam just get them done before spring.  ;)

I just delivered a scarf that a friend PAID ME to make for her son. He's a senior in high school, and really wanted a nice scarf to go with his grandpa's Navy coat that he just inherited. He wanted it to be blue, long and cuddly. I sent them some photos to choose from and he chose the Phyllotaxis Scarf. It's knit in a tube, so it's doubly-warm. He just lit up when he saw it. (it's folded in half in this pic...it's 6.5' long or so)
scarf1_zpsab64a806.jpg

I also just made the Swirl Hat for myself. Dd is wearing it here. Very fun pattern. 
SwirlHat_zpsa3b25246.jpg

I love seeing all the projects.

I'm half way through Elizabeth Zimmermann's practice hat. I made my own design instead of using hers. It's a Greek key pattern, but dh thinks it looks like a bunch of interlocking Gs which is fun because our last name begins with G. 

Also, I'm trying to finish up some fingerless mitts for my nieces before Christmas. It looks like I'll run out of rainbow yarn but I'm hoping I'll be close enough to the end to substitute some blue/green for the finishing touches. 

These are so cute! How long did it take you to complete them? (Wondering if I have time...I really need to stop looking at craft ideas until after Christmas!)

They don't take up much time, you could do them in a day or two, one if you were power knitting while watching Christmas movies, hypothetically. ;)

I am getting more confident, but still can't bring myself to try DPN's or cables for those cuffs. I want to make a men's hat.

I took a sock knitting class to help me figure out DPNs. 

While attending a public meeting, I saw a woman knitting a sweater with cables.  I marveled; she said they were "easy" and showed me.  This gave me confidence.

I am getting more confident, but still can't bring myself to try DPN's or cables for those cuffs. I want to make a men's hat.

One idea I've seen is to cast on on a straight needle and then knit the first round onto your circ and keep going round and round. It's slightly less fiddly than casting on directly on the circ. And much less fiddly than casting on with dpn's. Then later when you're done you fix the "hole" in the cast on when you sew in the end of yarn.

You'll want a 16" circ and dpn's for hats. Or about a 32"-40" cable if you want to use magic loop instead. I personally prefer knitting on a 16" circ then switching to dpn's in the decreases but if you can do magic loop with one long cable you'd be able to complete a hat with just that one needle and wouldn't have to switch to dpn's as the circumference of the hat decreases. Like any new technique it just takes some practice to get used to.

You can do it!

Two words for you:  Magic Loop.  I hate DPN's, so Magic Loop has saved me!

I am knitting My So-Called Scarf for DD's favorite coach.  I shopped my stash and found 3 skeins of a pretty Noro and got going on it.  I whipped up a quick crochet bell hanger and just need the hanging ring and bells for it.

I agree, I thought magic loop would be too hard, but my daughter who's now 13 saw me struggling with DPNs (she commented that it looked like I was wrestling with a porcupine) and now that I've learned magic loop I will never go back.  I've even knit a sweater for a beanie baby with magic loop.  I love having only the one needle. 

I don't have any projects going on now.  My dh gave me this for Solstice, so I'm trying to decide what I want to do with it all.

mysolsticehaul_zpsc8b48f4c.jpg

I think everyone hates something. I dread casting on. It's the worst part to me. My friend tho has many projects that only need the ends woven in bc she hates doing that. It's so silly, but there it is just the same and then once we're done we wonder what the mental fuss was about.

I know I am posting to an old thread, but I just saw this.

This is me too!  I actually had to sit one afternoon and weave and trim loose ends on a dozen projects I was sending out as gifts.  

One of the ladies at my knitting group has 'finished off' half of my projects. OTH I don't mind casting on or tying in new yarn. 

I know I am posting to an old thread, but I just saw this.

This is me too!  I actually had to sit one afternoon and weave and trim loose ends on a dozen projects I was sending out as gifts.  

One of the ladies at my knitting group has 'finished off' half of my projects. OTH I don't mind casting on or tying in new yarn. 

LOL!  I take advantage of Rebecca's sweet and helpful nature.  "Do you want to help me out by weaving in these ends?"  Unfortunately, she is one busy kid, so the striped washcloths are still undone...

• 3 weeks later...

I finished a few things over Christmas...some rainbow fingerless mitts that I could never get the right size (frogged), this cute pouch from the Beginner's Knit Along, some practice Mary Jane slippers which I will make in a more luxurious yarn for MIL later, and a boring shawl

I started a hat for nephew. It's reversible and I found a fun wave pattern for it on Tricksy Knitter. They have some cool tools for patterning. I'm trying to use yarn I have for this but it never seems to work together perfectly.