Menu

Which states should we consider or avoid?

Desert Strawberry

D is looking for work out of state. We are considering all offers. We have lived in a few states, but not always as a homeschooling family, and not sure of the culture everywhere. 

We live in Louisiana where homeschooling is totally normal and the responses we get are overwhelmingly positive. The kids and I have lived in Southern California where homeschooling is a viable choice and alternative educational choices are not a big deal. It's not normal, but we didn't get any criticism.

Our first choices are California, Arizona, and Florida. Texas would be acceptable.. 

We have already ruled out Pennsylvania both due to the level of regulation and other factors. 

My requirements:

Low or no regulation. 

Secular communities (we are Buddhist). 

General acceptance of homeschooling among the general population. 

Inclusive groups/clubs/activities that my children can participate in.

What cities and states would best and worst meet my criteria?

ETA: I know I am also reading up on the laws in each state, but I want to know about the nitty-gritty, day-to-day realities of living in each state. 

Clarification: I would like opinions on states I didn't list. We are looking at positions all over the US. We would like to narrow it down a bit, especially excluding those that would not suit us.

The ones I listed are where we have family and where he has already applied for great opportunities.

Arizona is very low regulation. It is filling out a form once and then you are good until you move. While there are secular communities I would not expect them to be plentiful, at least they weren't when we lived there. Homeschooling is mostly accepted by people. I never had any issues with other people giving me a hard time, we even signed my son up for an after school chess club one year without a problem. Inclusive groups may be a problem, maybe not, that would depend on where on the school in a box to Unschooling spectrum you fall. I found more problems finding friends that weren't unschoolers than I did finding ones with my religious beliefs.

Well, Texas definitely has pretty darn relaxed regulations, as in they state some requirements but no one ever checks on anything (unless you have a nosy neighbor suspicious of homeschoolers that calls CPS) and you never have to file anything or get reviewed.  In fact, if your child has never been registered in the Texas public school system you are essentially off the grid.  

As for acceptance among communities regarding homeschooling, that varies WIDELY by area.  Austin has an active homeschooling community and tends to be pretty progressive.  There are tons of homeschoolers in Houston and several are apparently secular (but many are not).  San Antonio has many homeschoolers but the vast majority of offerings there are apparently Christian based.  There are a few secular groups but I don't think they are very large.  Dallas has a large homeschooling community but I don't know any specifics.  

If you go outside those cities you will find some areas that have homeschoolers but almost all will be Christian based and it will not be nearly as widely accepted and in some areas it is not even heard of.  Where I am the homeschooling community is small and most people were shocked when they found out we had decided to homeschool.  They thought it was illegal.  But we aren't near one of the main 4 cities.  We are hours away.

I live in Upstate SC. Homeschooling here is VERY common. We have dozens of co-ops just within our city. We also have opportunities for children to dual enroll in some private schools, but the only schools that offer that are (very) protestant private schools that require a signed SOF. 

While we do have a very large population of secular homeschoolers, for some reason there are very, very few (I think only one) secular co-op. There are, however, several secular homeschool meet-up and support groups... but I think all of them are more unschool oriented/geared. 

Very low regulation here. The written regs LOOK scary, until you read the fine print. You have sign up with an accountability group, but all the group does is take your name and information; other than that, we're required to keep attendance and a portfolio... but the funny thing is, the law as written also prohibits home checks and nobody can require you show that information (barring a court order). No mandated testing or anything.

There is a Buddhist temple north of Dallas; I think there is a community of like-minded in the Fort Worth area. I don't know of anyone who has ever had any problems in the DFW metro area from authorities, neighbors, etc., with being a home school family.

I have a few different friends who pull their kids out of p.s. when things aren't going well for their kids, and they put them back in again. I'm not for or against that since I haven't walked in their shoes, but they don't seem to have any issues doing it.

The property taxes are fairly high, IMO.

I haven't figured out how to link on this newer forum (help me) but I hope you can find it quickly enough, a website on Buddhist meetups.

It has been hard for me to get used to the heat in Texas, but I guess in Louisiana you've had to deal with the humidity as well.

My general observation of smaller cities and towns in TX, and I think it is probably like this everywhere, is that there can be a lot of discrimination against anything different than the usual crowd; but in the cities there is more acceptance (I would read that as better educated therefore open-minded, less discrimination).

I'd say that homeschooling is pretty "normal" in California--I started back in 1982, in San Diego, and the number of homeschoolers has increased substantially since then. :-)

And Texas...no regulations, no accountability, no nothin'. The fact that some "required" subjects is mentioned in the 1994 court case is irrelevant, since (1) you'd teach your dc those things anyway, and (2) no one is allowed to check up on you.

You'll find ignorant people everywhere.

I wouldn't decide based on regulation of homeschooling. Other than possibly PA, most states are pretty easy. Even states with more regulation like NY and MD aren't that bad according to the vast majority of homeschoolers. And the kind of community you can find is so dependent on what part of the state and what city for most places.

FL is low regulation, but in my experience a lot of the homeschooling events are Christian.    Still, even in Jacksonville, we had a nice Tibetan Buddhist temple.   Orlando has the Guang Ming Temple.  I'm sure other larger cities do as well.

Your kids are eligible for dual enrollment in high school, Bright Futures scholarships, etc.  

FL is low regulation, but in my experience a lot of the homeschooling events are Christian.    Still, even in Jacksonville, we had a nice Tibetan Buddhist temple.   Orlando has the Guang Ming Temple.  I'm sure other larger cities do as well.

Your kids are eligible for dual enrollment in high school, Bright Futures scholarships, etc.  

I agree about low regulation.  We had the options to either test out or do a portfolio review.  We always went with the portfolio review and had no trouble with it.  But if you want a non Christian community, stay away from the smaller areas.  Central FL south of Orlando and Tampa is very much the Bible belt.  I am a Christian and found TONS of Christian hs groups.  I would think Tampa or Orlando would be good for diversity.  I have a friend who is a state rep so they spend part of their year in Tallahassee, and they have said that there are tons of Christian hs groups there as well.

PA is workable, and a bill is about to be passed that will make it slightly more moderate.  HB 1013 eliminates the current dual review by an evaluator AND the local SD.  Now PA home educators will still file the affidavit, health info, and objectives with the local SD. At the end of the year, you hire your evaluator (which was the law before), and once this bill passes, take the letter from the evaluator to the SD vs. the entire port.  The old law required the port go to the evaluator AND the local SD (along with the evaluator's letter).  Testing will still be in grades 3, 5, 8. 

I realize that's still rather restrictive, but the new bill is a slight improvement.  It passed in the House and Senate, and now has to go back to the House on Monday because there was a very small change made via an amendment.  It is expected to pass without an issue, and then be signed by the Governor.  Just something to consider, as it is a little less cumbersome now, although still much more restrictive than most states.  Even under the existing law, it is mostly just paperwork hoop jumping and is doable.

Buddhists? Have you considered Ithaca, NY? Yes, it is a 'high reg' state, but honestly, it is Not a Big Deal. For real.

Homeschooling in Ithaca is common to the point of boring, expected even. There is a built in community for homeschoolers and a thriving secular co-op, and there is a Buddhist monastery.  Every now and then the Dali Lama comes to visit and they close the public schools so the kids can cheer him.

http://www.namgyal.org/

Ithaca gets all kinds of attention for being a great place to live. It can be tricky to find a job because it is so desirable.

Good luck to you where ever you land!

Avoid California. We are in the middle of a huge drought, towns are literally running out of water, farms are drying up. It's bad. And all our state legislature cares about is the amount of plastic bags we are using in grocery stores. Really. This state is run by loonies. This is the last place I'd move, if I had a choice. We are stuck here, though.

Avoid California. We are in the middle of a huge drought, towns are literally running out of water, farms are drying up. It's bad. And all our state legislature cares about is the amount of plastic bags we are using in grocery stores. Really. This state is run by loonies. This is the last place I'd move, if I had a choice. We are stuck here, though.

Wow, way to over-simplify the extremely complex water issue while simultaneously not saying anything about OP's actual requested homeschooling criteria. I'm impressed.

The Portland, OR metro area easily meets all of your criteria, but it appears from your list of top states that perhaps you are looking for more sunshine. :coolgleamA:  Homeschoolers in OR can also participate in high school sports, music, etc. and take classes at public schools. Also, many of the small liberal arts colleges in the state have special programs that allow high-achieving high school students to take classes for less than the cost of community college classes.

Texas has great homeschool regulations, but extracurricular activities can be a problem for older hsers. Some states allow homeschool kids to access extracurricular activities, but Texas doesn't. As a result, you end up having to look for private options, many of which are Christian. It's not just the homeschool community, it seems everybody feels the need to say a prayer and slap a Christian label on everything. We go along to get along, but that doesn't work for someone who is religious, just not Christian. Another issue is the automatic admission of top ps students to UT and TAMU. It makes it harder for private and home schoolers to get in. These aren't insurmountable obstacles if you have a great job offer here, but it would make me think twice.

I am floored when people think limiting our use and abuse of plastic *shopping* bags is something bad.

It's not that per se, it's the idea that our state is turning into a dust bowl because of stupid environmental policies, farmers are going out of business, this will affect the rest of the US because of the tremendous amount of food we produce, towns literally are running out of water and this is what they choose to focus on. Grocery bags. The type of sheets that motels can use. It doesn't even make sense.

Washington is low regulation, and at least where we live (Puget Sound region), homeschooling is well accepted.

I was going to say Washington last night but I didn't because I wouldn't consider it low regulation.  It's easy to homeschool here, and very accepted, but there ARE some hoops you're supposed to jump through like meeting one of those four qualifying requirements to homeschool, having to register with the local school district every year, having to test every year after 3rd grade (I think) and having to teach certain subjects (I think that one is IF you're going to ever put your kids in the public school system).  If you feel obligated to follow the letter of the law, it can be a bit of a pain.  If you don't, no one checks on you and in that sense it can be low reg.

It's not that per se, it's the idea that our state is turning into a dust bowl because of stupid environmental policies, farmers are going out of business, this will affect the rest of the US because of the tremendous amount of food we produce, towns literally are running out of water and this is what they choose to focus on. Grocery bags. The type of sheets that motels can use. It doesn't even make sense.

Thanks for listing what you consider the stupid environmental policies. Before you did that, I was thinking you must be referring to the idea that farmers should grow high water crops like rice and almonds in a state naturally prone to droughts.

OP, homeschooling in CA is easy and without oversight if you register as a private school every October. It's a simple online form. If you choose to homeschool under a charter, there is more oversight in the form of annual testing and monthly check-ins with the charter, but you are given money for approved (non-religious) materials and activities.

The Bay area has a high concentration of Buddhists but we also have a high concentration of Asians (~24% of the population) so I can't speak to how many temples are mostly set up for people speaking a particular language. This link may be of assistance in looking at different states (scroll down).

The Bay area is very expensive so if you get an offer to move here and you think the salary looks really good, be sure to check it against a cost of living calculator. The cost of housing can be incredible unless you live inland a bit. Rents are particularly high right now, even higher than  the cost of owning.

Homeschooling acceptance is good. While there aren't tons of coops like in some areas, people are generally positive and there are social and field trip groups.

I agree.  Calif. is fine for HSing but so many, many other issues...

North Alabama has a thriving economy; homeschoolers are a dime a dozen, very low regulations or requirements, and we even have a Buddist temple, I think. There is a large and thriving secular homeschool group, too. Great weather, too!

She beat me to it. :iagree:  We have low property taxes, as well.

I was going to say Washington last night but I didn't because I wouldn't consider it low regulation. It's easy to homeschool here, and very accepted, but there ARE some hoops you're supposed to jump through like meeting one of those four qualifying requirements to homeschool, having to register with the local school district every year, having to test every year after 3rd grade (I think) and having to teach certain subjects (I think that one is IF you're going to ever put your kids in the public school system). If you feel obligated to follow the letter of the law, it can be a bit of a pain. If you don't, no one checks on you and in that sense it can be low reg.

This is our 4th year homeschooling in WA. I can't say that I agree that there are many regulations. I mean the required state subjects are all things most people would think to cover anyways, the letter of intent is a 1 page form and you aren't required to send the test results anywhere. The qualifying requirements are really low too. Parents without one year of college can take a very easy course to meet the requirement. And honestly, I'd be hard pressed to think of any homeschooling parents around here I know without at least a year of college. Most have degrees. And if someone wants to homeschool without any college, there are 3 alternative options, one of which is basically a homeschooling seminar. And you don't even have to prove that you meet that requirement. It's not like I had to send them my college transcript or degree.

Bloomington, Indiana has a small town feel with all the arts and culture of a big city thanks to the university. There are about 80,000 people in town plus roughly 40,000 students. The university has one of the top music schools in the country (recently ranked #1 music conservatory in the country by one source), an amazing art museum, athletics, you name it. The Dalai Lama is also a semi-regular visitor to Bloomington since he has family here, and there is a beautiful Tibetan Cultural Center and a couple of Buddhist monasteries. Dh and I were married at one, and it's not unusual to see robed Tibetan monks at the grocery store or around town. Also, Bloomington has a large homeschooling community that runs more towards the secular side, is very open and accepting. Indiana has virtually no regulations at all re: homeschooling other than being required to school 180 days/year, but since homeschoolers aren't even required to register you don't have to even submit attendance records. 

This is our 4th year homeschooling in WA. I can't say that I agree that there are many regulations. I mean the required state subjects are all things most people would think to cover anyways, the letter of intent is a 1 page form and you aren't required to send the test results anywhere. The qualifying requirements are really low too. Parents without one year of college can take a very easy course to meet the requirement. And honestly, I'd be hard pressed to think of any homeschooling parents around here I know without at least a year of college. Most have degrees. And if someone wants to homeschool without any college, there are 3 alternative options, one of which is basically a homeschooling seminar. And you don't even have to prove that you meet that requirement. It's not like I had to send them my college transcript or degree.

I agree with what you say!  I think it can be seen both ways. Compared to somewhere like Texas where there's pretty much no regulation, then what we have to do could be seen as a lot. I do think the list of four requirements is a bit much (I think any parents should be allowed to homeschool their kids without having to meet some standard), but overall, and in practical terms, it can be very easy, as I said. And no one checks on anything. There's no one to whom we have to report or prove anything. In practical terms, anyone can homeschool and just not tell anyone anything.  In these respects, it could be seen as low regulation, I agree. 

How so?  Do you think the people who want to cut back on needless plastic usage are unconcerned about water?   And those sustainable farming people getting $10 for free range organic eggs are ruining factory farmers in CA?   I don't think this statement makes sense. I don't want to be rude, but I can't follow this line of thinking.

I changed Really? to How So? I live in CA as well. What stupid environmental polies are you targeting as harming this state and the rest of the country?

Food gown with massive amounts of pesticides harm the air, soil,the people who pick our food, and the folks who eat it. Climate change- whether one believes it to be natural/cyclical, or man- made, is why there is a drought. Who legislates rain? Who benefits from miserable factory farmed animals raised on pesticide-laden grain?

Further, you can use plastic bags, just some stores don't offer them. You can get plastic bags elsewhere and bring them with you. Nobody is actually taking away the plastic bag option.

I know I've upset you, but we need farm reform to heal our planet and our health. We can't keep doing what we are doing.

And if I am being completely honest, I am not the greatest fan of CA.  Not because of some crunchy environmental politics, but because it's crazy-ass $$$, prone to earthquakes, and without seasons in most places.

Y'all folks who aren't from California get so weirded out about earthquakes, lol.

The last big earthquake in northern California was 25 years ago, and it didn't affect the whole area.

The last big earthquake in southern California was 20 years ago. Ditto.

...as opposed to the Gulf and East Coasts, which have earthquake season every.single.year, or other parts of the country which have pretty regular tornadoes. Of course, there are many parts of the country which don't have any sort of regularly occurring natural disasters, but honestly, serious earthquakes so rarely happen in California that it isn't worth thinking about. :-)

I was going to say Washington last night but I didn't because I wouldn't consider it low regulation.  It's easy to homeschool here, and very accepted, but there ARE some hoops you're supposed to jump through like meeting one of those four qualifying requirements to homeschool, having to register with the local school district every year, having to test every year after 3rd grade (I think) and having to teach certain subjects (I think that one is IF you're going to ever put your kids in the public school system).  If you feel obligated to follow the letter of the law, it can be a bit of a pain.  If you don't, no one checks on you and in that sense it can be low reg.

I've complied with the law every year for the last 11 years, and I've never found it to be a pain at all.  However, I have a college degree, so I automatically qualify to homeschool, which makes things easier and I would give my kids a standardized test each year even if it wasn't required, so that makes it easier too.  The only things I do specifically to comply with the law are file the Intent to Homeschool form and keep the immunization records with the rest of the school records.

Anyway, that's a long winded way of saying that I see your point. 

My CA friend is deathly afraid of our TX tornadoes. It's all in what you are used to, I think.

I moved here to the Austin area from California (lived in San Diego for 12 years, then San Jose for 16). I've been here for 10 years and have never, ever heard of a tornado in this area.

Your friend is silly, lol.

OTOH, I grew up in the Norfolk, Virginia, area, and experienced more than one hurricane. Those things go on for days. I'll take an earthquake any time!

Y'all folks who aren't from California get so weirded out about earthquakes, lol.

The last big earthquake in northern California was 25 years ago, and it didn't affect the whole area.

I'm in CA.

I was in Napa during the last quake. It was 6.9. I had crashed glass all around me/my bed. I also feel 3s, and light tremors frequently as I live on a major fault. It's disconcerting at times.

We were OK, but it really sucked.

And I am not saying one shouldn't live in CA. Live wherever you love. CA is beautiful. There is a lot to love here.

I was in Napa during the last quake. It was 6.9. I had crashed glass all around me/my bed..

Are people allowed near the affected buildings? I wanted to bring my boys to see the earthquake damage but was thinking the buildings might already be scaffolded and sealed off to public.

State wide plastic bag ban kicks in on July 1st, 2015.

ETA:

The plastic bag ban did cut down our grocery spending. Now we see more outgrown strollers used as shopping carts all the way home. The Graco strollers are great for shopping carts especially when they can be loaded beyond capacity and still move.

Nevada is low reg. Like Arizona, register once and you're done unless you move our put your kid back in public school. We generally receive positive responses to homeschooling. The big cities have active secular communities, not so much in the small town (the one I live in has a fair number of secular homeschoolers but doesn't seem to have a strong desire for homeschool specific activities).

I've heard one of the Dakotas had really difficult homeschooling regs, though that may have changed in the past few years.

Wow, I didn't realize it had been that many years!!

Major quake, yes. There have been more recent quakes strong enough to cause localized damage.

My grandparents have friends who live in IL who have had property destroyed multiple times by tornados, but they're scared if the California quakes. Meanwhile, my grandparents have lived in CA for about 70 years with no property damage.

I lived in CA for 30 years and never experienced stronger than about a 5. I did feel the Northridge quake, but from San Diego.

If you don't mind winter, Minnesota is a great place to homeschool.  You just have to send in a letter to the school district each fall that basically says, "Yep, still homeschooling," and you do an annual test that you don't actually have to send to anyone.  The cost of living for much of the state is very reasonable, and the bigger cities like Duluth and Minneapolis have several Buddhist centers.  Every time we've told someone we homeschool we've received a positive response, and we're not an overly religious state, so there are plenty of secular activities.  Each school district gets to make it's own policy on allowing hsing students to participate in school activities (except for therapy for SN students- they're mandated by law to provide that to hsers) and here in our district, from what they've told me the school lets hs students take any activities or classes through the school they want without registering as a public schooler.  

If you don't mind winter, Minnesota is a great place to homeschool.  You just have to send in a letter to the school district each fall that basically says, "Yep, still homeschooling," and you do an annual test that you don't actually have to send to anyone.  The cost of living for much of the state is very reasonable, and the bigger cities like Duluth and Minneapolis have several Buddhist centers.  Every time we've told someone we homeschool we've received a positive response, and we're not an overly religious state, so there are plenty of secular activities.  Each school district gets to make it's own policy on allowing hsing students to participate in school activities (except for therapy for SN students- they're mandated by law to provide that to hsers) and here in our district, from what they've told me the school lets hs students take any activities or classes through the school they want without registering as a public schooler.  

I second this!  The smaller towns in particular seem to be very open to homeschool students participating in classes and/or activities at the local ps (especially high school).  That's what my kids have done.  Also in Minnesota, beginning in their junior year, they can enroll at a Minnesota college as a freshman (but those classes will also apply to their junior/senior high school requirements) at no charge.  It's called PSEO.  (Post Secondary Education Opportunity.)  If your student is up for that, he/she can get two years of college in for free.

We can have awfully long winters though...

LaFarge, Wisconsin, is home to Organic Valley.  There is also a Waldorf school in another small town nearby, Viroqua.  If I were a secular homeschool mom, especially if I were interested in alternative education and/or sustainability and natural living, I would consider that area.  There are many inclusive activities there for homeschool families--look up Homeschool Workshops at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve for one example, which was very well-attended yesterday.  I could tell you more, if interested.

Wisconsin's homeschool law:  We file an online form once a year stating our intent to provide 875 hours of instruction for children ages 6-18 in 6 basic subject areas.  The state organization, Wisconsin Parents Association, is very inclusive and very supportive.  I attended the conference for the first time this past spring.  Wisconsin's homeschool history is that many who began to homeschool here were unschooling types, so there are many families who have continued in that line and thus there is strong support to keep our law just like it is.

FL is a very easy state for homeschooling.  File a letter of intent once, then annual portfolio evaluations OR testing.   You could easily find secular homeschool groups and Buddhist communities in the communities near Orlando, Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete, and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.   I would avoid the panhandle or more rural areas.

Yes, we have hurricanes.   Miami and Pensacola seem to get more hurricanes than anywhere else in the state.   Tampa and Jacksonville don't get many, but a huge factor in the cost of living here is the cost of insurance.   I recommend you check on the cost of (1) cost of homeowner's insurance, (2) need for and cost of flood insurance, (3) sinkhole coverage and/or activity in the area you are considering, and (4) evacuation zones.   Moving 30 minutes inland may mean a big savings.   But if you live anywhere near the cost in LA you are probably already familiar with all of these things.