Menu

Looking for excellent, complete Lang arts program for dd

Hi! My oldest dd is going to be starting high school level studies next fall. I am earnestly searching for an absolutely incredible program for her, for language arts. Her great talents are in writing, and I want something that challenges. Her greatest love is reading, and I want something that really stretches her there. I guess, what I am looking for is an excellent "AP type" course. I also need it to be fairly low-maintainance, as far as my interaction is concerned. I have 4 younger children that take up a great deal of my time and energy. I would like something that is complete. This is only our 2nd year of homeschooling, and I am not confident in piecing together my own program. Also, last but not least, I need something that doesn't cost an absolute fortune. Maybe up to 200 dollars or so, but not more than that.

Any ideas?? TIA!!

If she likes writing and wants the classics approach, the Kolbe.org lesson plan are wonderful! They are set up by week with specific directions to the student and a separate teacher's answer key for everything. You can see samples of history and literature(and others) at their website Kolbe.org Here's a sample of 9th grade lit:

http://www.kolbe.org/files/Sample%20Course%20Plans/9th%20Grade%20Greek%20Literature%20Sample.pdf

Mary

Thank you both for the ideas. I had just started looking at hewitt the other day. Looks very good to me.

Questions about Kolbe:

We are not Catholic, but I certainly don't have anything against our materials having some religious content, even if it is specifically Catholic from time to time. I'm just wondering if the the English and Literature materials have content that would be difficult for someone of another faith to utilize? From the samples I saw, there is absolutely nothing to cause me to worry.

Also, what about the history syllabus?? It looks great too. A lot like History Odyessy, which we are using now, but a little more guidance to the student.

Also, do the programs come with a materials list?

Thanks again!

Kelly

Kelley,

There is nothing "specifically" Catholic in either the history of literature plans at all. Easy to use with any faith. And yes, they do come with a materials list. If you go to the Kolbe.org website, they have a link to the catalog and the history samples and book list. The only precaution with books would be to order the translation they use in the course plans so that everything lines up. I found all the necesssary books used at Amazon. Btw, sometimes you can find the course plans used as well but be sure to get everything that comes with them like the quarterly tests and teacher's materials.

Mary

Wow, that sounds like a really good option for us. I just want to be able to keep her home, keep her challenged, and know that we are covering all the bases. No small order at this point in our homeschooling career. I know I'll be better by the time my younger dc get there, but I don't want my oldest to suffer from my lack of experience too much. Seems like courses like these would be a good insurance policy!;)