Menu

Can I skip lessons while using LLATL?

marynamo

To those using LLATL. Have you ever skipped any of the daily lessons or perhaps any of the book levels?

We are using LLATL as our main program and follow it basically to the letter. Adding spelling. We missed a few days this year (we school year round) and will not finish the book as I planned early next year in time to start the new one. Is there any lessons I can skip or should I rather combine lessons and do perhaps here and there two lessons per day?

Yes.  I skip quite a bit of LLATL.  We are in the Yellow level and instead of doing the Literature Links, I am skipping those entirely and instead, we are doing a separate book concurrently.  

So for example, while we're working through LLATL daily lessons, we are also reading The Whipping Boy.  I am using Progeny Press (loosely) as a literature guide.  I do vocabulary through the book we are reading as well as reading comprehension.  

We will be finishing up The Whipping Boy this week and will have a couple of weeks break before we start our Christmas book, "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever".  In the meantime, I will probably do some writing lessons unrelated to LLATL.

I often wonder why I keep LLATL on board.  I find too often that I omit parts of it, or have to supplement it in one way or another.  But I just can't seem to nix it just yet.  Maybe next year.  

I often wonder why I keep LLATL on board.  I find too often that I omit parts of it, or have to supplement it in one way or another. 

Just wondering why you think LLATL is lacking so much that you supplement so much? Don't you think the program can work on it's own?

We do supplement spelling as I feel it is very light in that area.

No, I don't think it works well on it's own.

I supplement the spelling.  

I supplement the writing.

The reading selections (thus far) have been very weak.

I honestly do not really like the program much at all.  But I return to it because it gives me a bit of a framework....jumping off point, if you will.  

If I find something better, though, LLATL is out of here.  

We switched to LLATL this year.  We're using 3 levels (red, orange, tan).  I've been skipping or shortening portions of the lessons, but haven't skipped an actual lesson.  For example, if it asks them to write several sentences with personification, I might have them write out just one sentence.  My DS struggles with writing, so I often shorten the copywork/dictation portions as well.  With the red level, we've skipped some of the cutting/pasting activities or modified them so she isn't doing so much cutting.  I also skip the last activity or two if we are taking too long on the lesson.  

As far as supplementing, I'm only adding a bit of writing for my oldest.  I've already seen improvement in their spelling since we started.