Menu

Do you dye, not die, at home or at the hairdresser's?

JadeOrchidSong

I have mine done. The lady I use is very good but doesn't charge an arm and a leg (small, fairly rural shop). I stick close to my natural color so that I can go a couple of months between dye jobs. I think she uses Paul Mitchell, but I'm not sure. I leave it up to her. I've been having my hair colored since my early 40's.

I have straight dark brown hair. It's not black but it's dark enough that people have called it black. I'm your age and started dying about a year ago. I really like Loreal Healthy Look. I tried it after a friend used it and the color looked so nice on her. It's semi-permanent, and inexpensive. When my hair was long, I was best using two boxes. Since I got it cut, I can get away with one box but even that's hard because I have very thick hair.

Even though my hair is dark, I do not use the darkest colors. The slightly lighter colors give me a look that's something like highlights and, I think, it winds up looking more natural than darker shades would. I'm using medium brown now, but I prefer medium golden brown and cool chestnut brown. I've found that having some red in the color is more flattering to my skin/face even though I don't naturally have gold or red highlights. That was a tip I got from someone here. :)

I use Revlon which is $3 at Walmart. Both hairdressers I have had told me to keep doing what I'm doing because it looks so natural. I am blond though and dye my hair to give it more shine. It got a little dull after 3 kids and time. I would think with dark hair you would have to really stay on top of the roots. Mine don't show up much.

ETA: My hair was long (middle of my back) when I began dying it. It is short now. Dying short hair is easier. :)

I use Wella demi-permanent that I purchase at Sallys. Like a pp, I choose a lighter color and it covers the grays a different shade so it looks like highlights. I'm very pleased with the results. Used to spend $150+ at the salon for highlights. Now spend about $3. I do have to do it more frequently - about once every 3 or 4 weeks. But it takes about 15-20 minutes at my own convenience - no appointment necessary. Love it.

I have long, curly hair and tried to dye it at home but failed miserably, damaging my hair in the process.  I'm about 50% gray now.  I gladly fork over about $100 every other month or so to a trained professional who colors my hair (base color and highlights).  I am not a "dye at home" candidate!

No way I would ever try it at home. Having enough trouble with salon coloring but have finally found someone who hit it right.

I left my last hair dresser because she butchered my color.  Then I tried to do it myself.  Even worse.  So then I found a lady who actually knows what she is doing with my complex hair.  It's a complicated order, my hair!

Thanks!

I would like some advice for my dark hair. If I don't use the darkest color dye, what is the best color, then?

As we age, black hair looks pretty harsh. I have naturally black hair too and I've started to color it a medium brown. It doesn't really look medium brown since most of my hair is naturally black, but rather it softens the overall color.

Years ago I had it done.  Then my colourist retired and told me that because my hair is single process I can do it myself. She told me exactly what to buy and I got it at Sally's beauty supply. I love that I pay about 10$ a month as opposed to whatever I was paying..75$?

Over the years I have slightly changed colour and changed brand and gotten better at the whole thing. I also think even more good quality products are available than when I started.

If you have to bleach first, or are adding in foils etc then pay to get it done b/c that is difficult to do to yourself. But, if you are just covering grey or dealing with a fading natural colour then it is super easy to do at home.

What a timely post!

I have "classic length" hair, about 40% grey, which I generally wear in a bun.  I love it!

But...in about four months, I will be moving to a new area and trying to get a new job after b15 years in a nice, secure job. I am not young, nor do I look young.  I don't really want to, but I also know that if I look old, I will find it very hard to get a job.

That means I am cutting my hair to just above shoulder length and planning to dye it until I am settled into a new job.  I want my lovely silver back, so I will be using a temporary die.

I'm scared to death...

Thanks, JadeOrchidSong, for letting me know that I am NOT the last woman in the world to dye my hair.  ;)

I use Ecocolors and I dye my hair by myself at home.  I use it to color the gray in my dark brown hair (I mix 2/3 dark brown and 1/3 black to match my natural color) and it works well.  I'm probably at least 50% gray, at least on the top of my head and my bangs.

Several years ago, I had a reaction to salon color.  That's when I switched to Ecocolors.  

What a timely post!

I have "classic length" hair, about 40% grey, which I generally wear in a bun.  I love it!

But...in about four months, I will be moving to a new area and trying to get a new job after b15 years in a nice, secure job. I am not young, nor do I look young.  I don't really want to, but I also know that if I look old, I will find it very hard to get a job.

That means I am cutting my hair to just above shoulder length and planning to dye it until I am settled into a new job.  I want my lovely silver back, so I will be using a temporary die.

I'm scared to death...

Thanks, JadeOrchidSong, for letting me know that I am NOT the last woman in the world to dye my hair.  ;)

I like my gray hair, too, and I love my mom's so I'm hoping that when all is said and done I'll  be able to go back to gray.

BUT, I'm in my early 40s and have a newly-turned-4 year old. On two separate occasions I have been mistaken for his grandmother. Holy smokes, say it ain't so! It will be hair dye for me at least until the other mothers at the playground start to get a few grays in...

What a timely post!

I'm scared to death...

Sometimes I really detest society and discrimination. I think it's tragic that you have to change your beautiful hair in order to have a fair chance at getting a job :(

My hair tends to be brassy…so whenever I dyed at home, it never looked that good unless I went dark (usually I preferred to go lighter) and used an auburn-type shade.

Because of that, I went to the hairdresser.  

If you do want to dye at home, I've heard good things about eSalon.com  

I have medium to longish light brown hair with lots of gray. I go about every 7 weeks to my hair dresser. I'm not sure of the price as I always get a cut too plus a few foils for highlights. We usually just "break the base" every other time which in my opinion is hair dresser speak for touching up the roots and all over color on the in between visits. With tip, I pay about $140.

Maybe you all can help me figure out something:

I started going grey in my 30s and have dyed (at home) on and off using various products ever since. I am now turning 50 and ready to embrace the grey. The issue is that I'm actually more white than grey, and it makes me look washed out. It's just not a good color on me. 

What I would like to do is to find a dye that I could use just occasionally (instead of every six weeks) that would keep me grey but warm up the color a bit. I've known several older women over the years who have grey hair that's actually attractive. Mine just looks bedraggled. 

I should also mention that I use only cruelty-free dye. So, my selection may be a little limited. I'm looked at all of the grey and almost grey colors available in the brands I usually use, and I haven't found anything that is warm.

So, how feasible would it be for me to mix my own blend of some kind? If I bought a grey dye a little darker than my fishing wire white and mixed in a little bit of a warmer dark blonde or light brown, would that be a disaster?

Before anyone suggests it: No, going to a salon for professional coloring is not an option. I did it one time when I had a dye disaster at home six or seven years ago, and I'm still reeling from the cost. Especially because of the cruelty free thing, a salon is not happening.

Any suggestions or guidance for me?

Especially because of the cruelty free thing, a salon is not happening.

I hear you about the cost but just fyi, cruelty free salons are around. Organic Color Systems is one salon brand that is vegan & PETA certified for example.

Sorry, no advice about the grey....

I hear you about the cost but just fyi, cruelty free salons are around. Organic Color Systems is one salon brand that is vegan & PETA certified for example.

Sorry, no advice about the grey....

Oh, I know they exist. That's where I went when I had the disaster several years ago. Unfortunately, because they are "specialty," cruelty free salons tend to be even more expensive than mainstream ones. 

Sometimes I really detest society and discrimination. I think it's tragic that you have to change your beautiful hair in order to have a fair chance at getting a job :(

Yes, I have a very active aunt in her late 70's who started coloring her hair in her 40's because she felt like it was important for her work.  She's still working because she loves it, and she's still coloring her hair. I always thought that was odd until I sat on interview committees, and yes, it does make a difference.  Not always, but I think that women are sometimes discriminated against because of gray hair.

I color because my gray hair is extremely coarse.  I tried and tried various solutions with my stylist, and ultimately coloring works best.  And people often think I'm a full decade younger than I am.  A blessing of having oily skin I guess!

Maybe you all can help me figure out something:

I started going grey in my 30s and have dyed (at home) on and off using various products ever since. I am now turning 50 and ready to embrace the grey. The issue is that I'm actually more white than grey, and it makes me look washed out. It's just not a good color on me. 

What I would like to do is to find a dye that I could use just occasionally (instead of every six weeks) that would keep me grey but warm up the color a bit. I've known several older women over the years who have grey hair that's actually attractive. Mine just looks bedraggled. 

I should also mention that I use only cruelty-free dye. So, my selection may be a little limited. I'm looked at all of the grey and almost grey colors available in the brands I usually use, and I haven't found anything that is warm.

So, how feasible would it be for me to mix my own blend of some kind? If I bought a grey dye a little darker than my fishing wire white and mixed in a little bit of a warmer dark blonde or light brown, would that be a disaster?

Before anyone suggests it: No, going to a salon for professional coloring is not an option. I did it one time when I had a dye disaster at home six or seven years ago, and I'm still reeling from the cost. Especially because of the cruelty free thing, a salon is not happening.

Try going to a beauty store and asking for some advice.  I remember years ago there was a product that was extremely semi-permanent for grey hair.  It was like a wash/shampoo which would just add some tone on top of the hair.  I think they call them grey hair toners, but I'm not sure.  I know a beauty supply store would carry them and offer advice. :)

My MIL uses special shampoo for white hair. She went white in her early 20s and knows how to handle it, lol. But she uses some special shampoo and conditioner for her hair that keeps it from looking drab. She says the key with white hair is to keep it gleaming white or it looks terrible. White hair picks up a coating from lots of shampoos and conditioners, and even minerals in the water.

She also invests in a very good cut. She swears that a good cut can make up for a lot.

My MIL uses special shampoo for white hair. She went white in her early 20s and knows how to handle it, lol. But she uses some special shampoo and conditioner for her hair that keeps it from looking drab. She says the key with white hair is to keep it gleaming white or it looks terrible. White hair picks up a coating from lots of shampoos and conditioners, and even minerals in the water.

She also invests in a very good cut. She swears that a good cut can make up for a lot.

What brand shampoo does she use? If i do not dye my hair, then I would invest in goo shampoo and nice cut like your MIL.

I agree. Yellowish gray hair doesn't look as nice as silver. Those special shampoos deposit a small amount of bluish/purplish dye in the hair and cover up the yellow.

I would like some advice for my dark hair. If I don't use the darkest color dye, what is the best color, then?

Mine is the Asian jet black but I have natural red streaks which a maternal nephew also have. For dyeing, I use auburn instead of black. For highlights I use burgundy.

The thing is you have to match the dye color to your face's skin tone. Mine is pale yellow sunburn easily so I need a reddish chocolate kind of color for hair dye.

Mine is the Asian jet black but I have natural red streaks which a maternal nephew also have. For dyeing, I use auburn instead of black. For highlights I use burgundy.

The thing is you have to match the dye color to your face's skin tone. Mine is pale yellow sunburn easily so I need a reddish chocolate kind of color for hair dye.

Thanks, Arcadia

So your kids are learning German. Do they learn Chinese, too? I am so lazy this year that I have not started Chinese and no one misses it.

Did you grow up here or move here when a child?

How do you accelerate your kids' math? They must be very mathy.

Sorry for the sidetrack on my own thread.