Menu

Best wishes for clear thinking to our PSAT testers today!

My daughter is taking it for real today and was in urgent care last night for breathing problems. I kept telling them she needs oxygen in her brain for the PSAT tomorrow--there are many tens of thousands of dollars at stake. They were nice to me but did not really seem to get it. She has taken the PSAT three times and made well above the qualifying score for our state every other time, so she should be a shoo-in, but even she needs oxygen in her brain. I have been telling her for days not to take any blows to the head; probably should also have included "do not contract anything that is going to adversely affect your oxygen intake."

Good luck to everyone--hope they all make their mamas proud!

Good luck to all WTM kiddos taking the exam!  

She has taken the PSAT three times and made well above the qualifying score for our state every other time, so she should be a shoo-in, but even she needs oxygen in her brain. 

Hopefully all will go well for your dd - if not, don't hesitate to call the PSAT people and discuss her prior scores and her illness for today's test.  (In fact, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call in a day or two to lay the groundwork just in case.)  When I've called them in the past, they've been fairly reasonable, sensible people.

My daughter is taking it for practice today.  She's in 10th.  Should be interesting to see how she does.  She's been extremely sick for several months and we've finally narrowed it down to the most likely (an auto-immune disorder).  She is exhausted pretty much all of the time (chronic fatigue goes along with the disorder she probably has) so getting up at 6:15 to be at the school district's central office by 7:30 was a bit painful.

Last year during the PSAT, my daughter was not allowed to use her scientific calculator!  Instead the high school insisted she use one of their graphing calculators.  Since she wasn't familiar with the calculator, she was confused at first and lost some time.  She recovered and still did well on the math sections.  The schools in our area are requiring all their students to use graphing calculators provided by the school.  This year, I spoke to the administrator and got permission for her to use her own scientific calculator.  I even sent the email giving her permission with her this morning.  I'm hoping she'll have no problems.  Having a familiar calculator saves valuable time!

Last year during the PSAT, my daughter was not allowed to use her scientific calculator!  Instead the high school insisted she use one of their graphing calculators.  Since she wasn't familiar with the calculator, she was confused at first and lost some time.  She recovered and still did well on the math sections.  The schools in our area are requiring all their students to use graphing calculators provided by the school.  This year, I spoke to the administrator and got permission for her to use her own scientific calculator.  I even sent the email giving her permission with her this morning.  I'm hoping she'll have no problems.  Having a familiar calculator saves valuable time!

The school where my daughter is testing is doing the same thing. I bought her a graphing calculator this year because of this and had her practice. She's not as conversant with it as I would ideally like, but said it didn't cause her any problems on the practice test. I would be more concerned if she were in 11th.

This seems to be unique to the PSAT. We haven't had any issue with either the SAT or the ACT. For one of those she just used her regular 4 function, then for the other, her scientific calculator. It's odd that the PSAT registration and administration are so different than the SAT.

Good luck to all the test takers!

DS  will be taking it for practice. He is in 10th. Good luck to all.

Scratch that. He would have been taking it, but he woke up sick.

I'm sorry your son is sick. I never thought before about what would happen in that case. Is there a make-up option for 11th graders in case of sickness or other emergency?

Good luck to all WTM kiddos taking the exam!  

Hopefully all will go well for your dd - if not, don't hesitate to call the PSAT people and discuss her prior scores and her illness for today's test.  (In fact, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call in a day or two to lay the groundwork just in case.)  When I've called them in the past, they've been fairly reasonable, sensible people.

What a great idea.  I will see what she thinks about her performance today.  Thanks!

Dropped off my oldest two. On one hand it seems like the beginning of a long stretch of college apps. On the other hand it felt anticlimactic. The cutoff for our state runs 222-224 which is a 74+ average. I just don't see that happening.

So we move along. And there is a cc math test Friday and a Korean Studies paper outline due Friday. So the PSAT isn't even the biggest thing on my kids' minds today. I think it feels more like a nuisance than anything else right now.

The school where my daughter is testing is doing the same thing. I bought her a graphing calculator this year because of this and had her practice. She's not as conversant with it as I would ideally like, but said it didn't cause her any problems on the practice test. I would be more concerned if she were in 11th.

This seems to be unique to the PSAT. We haven't had any issue with either the SAT or the ACT. For one of those she just used her regular 4 function, then for the other, her scientific calculator. It's odd that the PSAT registration and administration are so different than the SAT.

This sort of think frustrates me.  I think that because the PSAT is typically offered during the school day, and more and more schools are having 10th and 9th graders take it (even to the point of having everyone in attendance take the test except seniors - as our district in VA did), there is a sense that they need to remove any roadblocks or disparities. 

So the PSAT booklet says that a scientific or graphing calculator is recommended.  That becomes a policy that the school will provide the calculators and only those calculators will be acceptable.  But in my mind, that is letting the individual school make policy and restrictions above and beyond those of College Board.  I don't know why they don't just let it be known that there are calculators available if students need to check one out on the day before or day of the test.

The reason this doesn't happen with the SAT is that students often aren't at their home high school on testing day.  In our district of a half dozen schools, only one is a test site.  In our last district, there were students in the lobby waiting to check in from many different schools.  (And I have to wonder what happens to those kids who didn't have a calculator on the PSAT.  Did they go out and buy one for the SAT?)

Ironically, I had my eldest leave his graphing calculator at home, because while it doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard, it does have the ability to store words using alternate functions for the keys.  I didn't want a proctor to be overly critical of the unknown student's calculator.

Well, my daughter just finished the test.  She was able to use her scientific calculator with no issues!  I'm happy.  She said she thought the test was easier this year than the last one.  It's hard to know if she thinks it's easier because she's a junior now or if the test really is easier this year. 

Sorry to hear so many WTM students are sick!  Hopefully all will be better soon, but definitely a bummer for those who are in the "this counts" year!

We had no problems in my classroom - all the students were very mature and super well-behaved.  At least a couple of them are likely contenders and I wish them well too.  Two students didn't show up, so I'm guessing they are also under the weather today.

Scores are sent in Dec and will also supposedly be available online, but I suspect you'll need a code number first.

My oxygen-deprived junior reported that the test was easy.  I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear that.  She has taken it several times and has always done well, so I trust her assessment.  The downside to a really easy test, of course, is a tough curve.  You know, in case you are a glass-half-empty kind of mom. . ..

Picked up kids, whirled through Chick-Fil-A and then dropped off at the cc and on to the library with the other to get ILL books from the local university libraries on North Korea. Life just keeps on.

Ds's said the proctor was winging it on the directions, but not in a way that should be a problem. Timer was projected on a screen in the front of the room.

Ds mentioned as I dropped him off at cc that students there are a lot more studious. Well yeah, especially compared to the freshmen in the PSAT room. Made me smile.

My junior son took it today for his real run. He scored very high last year as a sophomore (perfect in math), but he knows for a fact he missed one on the math section this year. He said it "just hit him" during the writing skills section. I told him that I was thrilled to hear that he was thinking about MATH when he was supposed to be doing English!! lol! So the PSAT was a microcosm of our entire homeschool experience...

Anyway, I hope everyone did well! :-)

My daughter also said it was easier than the practice tests. She knows she missed a few, but she is an 8th grader and this was her first run and the first time she has ever taken a test that was not proctored by me at our kitchen table. I was impressed with her ease and the lack of nervousness about all of it. 

We will see in mid-December. How do we see scores online? She gave them an email address, will we get an email? 

Mine was taking it "for real" today and also reported that she thought it was easier than last year's test and the practice tests she's done recently.

Which, of course, freaked me right out. I'm worried that she maybe breeeeezed a bit through too many problems. She said she sat with several minutes left on the final section (which is her strongest section, but still... SITTING with TIME LEFT?!?). I asked if she looked over her answers, and she said "no, not really." 

I tried to refrain from going bug-eyed. (which I did until much later tonight, when I completely overreacted over an entirely unrelated issue. Repressed nagging had to be freed!)   :cursing:   :blush:

And now we wait. lol :svengo:

DS said he was upset for one of the older girls. She asked to use the bathroom during the 5 min break, but the proctor said that there would be no bathroom breaks allowed during the test. It even says in the PSAT downloadable booklet that students are allowed to use the restroom during the 5 min break but that large groups of students should not be allowed to leave together. He felt bad for the poor girl.

DS said he was upset for one of the older girls. She asked to use the bathroom during the 5 min break, but the proctor said that there would be no bathroom breaks allowed during the test. It even says in the PSAT downloadable booklet that students are allowed to use the restroom during the 5 min break but that large groups of students should not be allowed to leave together. He felt bad for the poor girl.

Yeah, that's just plain wrong.  Using the bathroom even during the test is ok, but the student does not get to make up the time.  What is incorrect is unsupervised bathroom time (or cell phones, etc).

I've never had a student want to go to the bathroom during the test itself, but there are quite a few who take advantage of that 5 minute break.  We have a proctor in the hall stationed for bathroom coverage.

The proctor my daughter had was upset that my daughter didn't want to use the bathroom during their bathroom break (the other kids all did).  She didn't have to go.  The proctor really, really wanted her to lol

I tried to refrain from going bug-eyed. (which I did until much later tonight, when I completely overreacted over an entirely unrelated issue. Repressed nagging had to be freed!)   :cursing:   :blush:

And now we wait. lol :svengo:

Ha.  I thought I was the only one who did this. . ..

My junior felt really good about it as well.  He even almost finished the math(didn't finish bubbling in the answer to the last student response), which was a first for him.  They did not give the 5 minutes until time is up warning, but otherwise it was a smooth testing experience.    He said he didn't need the warning.  I really don't understand why it takes so long to get scores out.  

I really don't understand why it takes so long to get scores out.  

Me either.  I was just talking about that with a student.  This test is all computer scored - even the grid in free response.  It shouldn't take until Dec to get the scores out in today's world.  I've no clue why it does.

Dd thought it went well. There were a few math ones that she had to skip. We'll see if the ps steals her scores by changing the hs code. They have with several of my students. 

If the school puts in their own code, are the scores still mailed to the individual? Or do you have to then pick up the student scores at the school?

If the school puts in their own code, are the scores still mailed to the individual? Or do you have to then pick up the student scores at the school?

Scores are sent to the school if the school code is put in.

The mailing address is then only used for college mail if the student put yes in that box.

There's no real point to a school changing the code as no one I know of keeps track of average PSAT scores.  Chances are it was a person simply told to go through the answer sheets to be sure correct codes were entered (something College Board dictates) and they didn't realize the homeschooling code was different, so "fixed" it.

My oxygen-deprived junior reported that the test was easy.  I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear that.  She has taken it several times and has always done well, so I trust her assessment.  The downside to a really easy test, of course, is a tough curve.  You know, in case you are a glass-half-empty kind of mom. . ..

I have heard it was an easy test from a lot of kids...

My DS 9th grader took it for practice and said he didn't understand 6 out of the total math problems (which isn't too bad) and thought the other parts went well. Scores out in December.  He used a plain old scientific calculator and said that was all that he really needed.

My dd said the proctor had no idea what she was doing. I wrote the hs testing code on the back of her ID in sharpie. So when that section came up, she chimed in with the number so the proctor did not have to find it.  So in that batch all of the homeschoolers had the right code. I was concerned about that before she went in to take the test. 

My dd said the proctor had no idea what she was doing. I wrote the hs testing code on the back of her ID in sharpie. So when that section came up, she chimed in with the number so the proctor did not have to find it.  So in that batch all of the homeschoolers had the right code. I was concerned about that before she went in to take the test. 

Good thinking!  I'm sure folks at college board would be going  :banghead:  if they read this.  They really do make it idiot-proof, except, I guess, that one can underestimate some folk's reading ability - either the proctor or the test coordinator.