Menu

Top HS outsourced classes tried and true: online, self paced List

Okay, I know there are several previous lists of online classes and outsource info in the archives but it seems like the latest combined list I can find is in 2012 and alot has changed since then.  Looking to compile a list of HS or College like courses taken in HS where your kids have actually taken courses there and the class has been very challenging and engaging and worth putting on the list!  It can be self paced, free, online, whatever but the class was GREAT in your opinion.  I know this will benefit all of us....thanks for your input in advance!!!

I'll start, however don't have much experience yet   :)....

Veritas Press Scholars Academy - Omnibus

Oh...forgot:

Derek Owens - so far (Geometry & Algebra II)

• Like 3

I couldn't be more impressed with AP English with PA Homeschoolers with Maya Inspektor. 

I've decided asynchronous math was a mistake for ds, but I think the AP Stats class at PA Homeschoolers is good if you have a very motivated student. I have ended up taking it with ds, and I can say that the instruction and resources provided are strong and I have had no trouble learning Stats (even though I didn't want to). There is very little accountability and fairly limited interaction which doesn't work for everyone, so know your student on this one.

• Like 2

The Lukeion Project (http://www.lukeion.org/)  We have loved every single class taken so far.  They are challenging classes but very well done.  At this point, Sue Fischer's Muse on the Loose is probably my all time favorite.

PA Homeschoolers AP Human Geography (http://www.aphomeschoolers.com/cgi-bin/choose.pl?class=humangeo) is another favorite.  It is asynchronous, I find it well organized and the material is interesting.  I don't know yet how well it prepares students for the exam but in any case, my son and I both are very happy with it.

Derek Owens for Math and Physics (http://www.derekowens.com/) also gets high marks.

• Like 2

My ds is taking AoPS Calculus online and lives it. It is very challenging but he smiles his way through it. www.artofproblemsolving.com

We also love The Homeschool Spanish Academy. We have done 3+ years and are thrilled.

Www.spanish.academy

My ds is enjoying MIT's Physic class.

• Like 1

Trinqueta has taken 4 classes at Landry Academy. 3 of them have been well done, solid classes I'd recommend. But, Latin is a truly excellent class. It's not as fast-paced as Lukeion, they do Jenney's First Year Latin and then the second half of Wheelock's over 3 years. However, if Lukeion is too much commitment or you have a younger child, this is a very good alternative. The teacher, Mrs. Parnell, does an excellent job of keeping kids on task, explaining difficult grammar points and being available to help if needed. LA is a religious school, but apart from an opening prayer and Bible verse memorization quizzes (which serve to reinforce grammar and vocabulary), the class is secular friendly. Jenney's and Wheelock's are both secular textbooks.

• Like 1

We love Classical Learning Resource Center. Dd is in her fourth year of Ancient Greek and second year of Latin. They also just began offering French and German this year. She took several years of literature as well and had a great experience. My ds13 is currently taking a Basic Math course with them that has really helped him straighten out his math confusion. That class is for high schoolers as well. I believe they also offer upper level math classes. All the teachers so far have been available for outside help and respond to emails quickly. Oh, and the classes are live.

Forgot to add Jann in Tx. math classes 

myhomeschoolmathclass.com

My daughter loves French with Madame S. at the Potter's School.  This is her second year studying French.  Last year, she took algebra 2 with Jann.  Jann is an excellent, dedicated teacher.  This year, she's studying pre-calculus with Derick Owens. So far, she likes the class.

I'll add my review for Derek Owens Physics.

A little background on our middle school science studies:  We used a combination of Science Explorer, Exploration Education, and TOPS attempting to create a balance of textbook reading and hands-on experiments.

For 9th grade, we used Derek Owen’s Physics class for distance learners.  The website is www.derekowens.com.  The cost of the class was $58/mo with a $15 registration fee.

Pros:

• Even before payment, sample lectures and syllabus are available on the website.  The syllabus provides clear assignments and deadlines for the entire year.
  • User-friendly and well-organized website.
  • Able to access the entire year’s course with first payment.
  • Videos provide instruction with an electronic blackboard, Derek’s voice is very pleasant, and some of his graphics are amusing.
  • Student Workbooks are filled in as student watches the lecture, keeping them engaged.
  • Homework, labs, and tests are emailed/faxed in and graded by someone other than mom.
  • Homework, labs, and tests are returned to student and parent generally within 24hrs along with cumulative grade report.
  • Only one lab item, an equilateral triangular prism, had to be ordered.  The rest of the lab supplies were on hand or easy to find locally.  10 labs total.
  • Instructor generally answered questions via email within 24 hours.
  • The course is based on Giancolli’s Physics text (usually used for AP Physics B), but adapted to be more accessible for those who want to study physics at a high school level (ie, not AP level).
  • Regular and Honors options available.  The student is allowed to try out the Honors option for a month or longer, and switch to the Regular option if desired.  Ds took the Honors option and it was challenging for him.  With 20/20 hindsight, it might have been better to stick with the Regular option for 9th grade.
  • Monthly payments (as opposed to payment in full in spring for fall start).  We were able to pay for August through November, take December off, and January through May.
  • Nearly secular.  Section 10.5.3 (The End of the Universe) makes it not 100% secular.

Cons:

• Solutions to the practice problems and tests are available to the student on the website.  I would prefer that they were available to the parent, but not the student.
  • Test review would be helpful.  Test review was provided for the 2 semester exams.  I re-used (or pre-used) these problems for the chapter tests.

Overall, I found Derek Owens pleasant to work with, professional, and accommodating.  For example, with the first payment, we were able to access the entire year’s course including the tests.  Having the tests easily accessible made me uncomfortable.  When I approached the subject with Mr Owens, he offered to make them unavailable for my student.  Occasionally, Mr Owens would send a video with the solution to a particularly challenging homework problem (after homework had been submitted and graded).  At times, my son was given the “opportunity†to re-submit homework and re-take (alternate version) tests.  I highly recommend Derek Owens high school Physics course.

• Like 2

I'll add my review for Laurel Tree Tutorials.  Last I heard, she was taking some time off due to babies, though.

We used Laurel Tree Tutorials with Rebekah Randolph for 10th grade composition.  The website is www.laureltreetutorials.com.  The cost was $580 which we paid in 2 payments a few months apart.  There are a dozen students in the class.

Over the course of the year, the students write:

• Personal Essay (3-6 pages) – 1250 words
  • Persuasive Essay (3-6 pages) – 1184 words
  • Definition Essay (2-5 pages) ex. Describe teamwork – 736 words
  • Short Story (6-12 pages) – 2314 words
  • Research Paper (8-12 pages) – 3175 words including references
  • Character Sketch (2-5 pages) – 704 words

Pros:

• Syllabus provided at the beginning of the year provides clear assignments and deadlines for the entire year.  This syllabus is available beforehand upon request.
  • Weekly assignments are given via email Wednesday morning and are to be completed by the following Tuesday midnight.
  • Longer essays are walked through starting with thesis and brainstorming/outline.  Teacher feedback is provided before the rough draft starts.
  • Students post rough drafts and final essays to website for all classmates to read.
  • Students provide 3 peer reviews of their classmate’s work.
  • Teacher provides kind, thoughtful, pertinent, and abundant feedback on essays.
  • Asynchronous class:  no set class time.  This fit our schedule (CC/PS/Basketball) well.  Some students may prefer the interaction of a classroom experience though.

Cons:

• None that I can think of (and that is unusual for me).

Rebekah Randolph offers a fabulous course in high school composition.  Very professional.  Very worthwhile.  Highly recommend.  Writing is not my son’s strength.  He had never written an essay longer than 2 pages before this class.  We have the ability to dual enroll at CC in 10th-12th grade here.  I would not have been comfortable signing ds up for Composition at CC this year.  I am now confident that he is well prepared.  In fact, he’s registered for Honors Composition in the fall.

ETA.  Ds earned an A in CC Honors Composition 1.  Here’s a comparision:

ENC 1121H Honors Composition 1

Personal essay 700-800 words

Persuasive essay 700-800 words

Definition essay 700-800 words

Timed essay

Fiction 700-1200 words

POS 2050H Honors American Government

Research Paper 500-650 words

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Trinqueta has taken 4 classes at Landry Academy. 3 of them have been well done, solid classes I'd recommend. But, Latin is a truly excellent class. It's not as fast-paced as Lukeion, they do Jenney's First Year Latin and then the second half of Wheelock's over 3 years. However, if Lukeion is too much commitment or you have a younger child, this is a very good alternative. The teacher, Mrs. Parnell, does an excellent job of keeping kids on task, explaining difficult grammar points and being available to help if needed. LA is a religious school, but apart from an opening prayer and Bible verse memorization quizzes (which serve to reinforce grammar and vocabulary), the class is secular friendly. Jenney's and Wheelock's are both secular textbooks.

Can't we use LA English secularly?means to omit Bible verse memorization quizzes?