Menu

Accountability thread 12 Oct 2014

OK, I really need accountability this week so I am going to get this thread going right away.

My to-do for today: Get the week scheduled and planned in advance. Life has been so hectic that we're just limping through day to day without really taking time to sit down and plan; that needs to change.

I'm in a funk here, it had been building but has now fully arrived :( I'm really hoping I can keep it pulled together despite this but today it feels incredibly daunting.

As I mentioned last week the science I planned for ds was too light. I think for now we're just going to read good books, do nature study together, and watch cool videos. I'm enjoying our breakdown of the day it feels really balanced right now between outside time, activities, fun, seatwork and play. 

Ds has been doing review in math but I'm trying to bump him up a bit, finding the right level has been a perpetual challenge. Everything feels about right for dd. Mostly we are working on building the basics. I'm loosely following Bravewriter JiD and since she built a mailbox we are working on letters for writing currently, she thinks this is the neatest hing ever. 

Be starting Latin here is a few minutes. Today ought to be a good day for school, as it is supposed to rain buckets all afternoon. The boys took their leaves out of the plant press (I use that word lightly, because I know what a good plant press should be like!) and were pleased with the results. I'm not feeling all that great today, so I hope it goes well. Sundays are often pretty intense, and I'm hoping for a nice relaxing day with a nice ghost story at tea, and pleasant attitudes. The noises coming from the kitchen, however, are not promising. :glare:

Dad's self-scheduling and -planning went well last week. I would ask her every morning and afternoon how she felt about her progress. When she was working hard on her paper, she decided to alternate 30 min of writing with 30 min of non-English study. She said it helped her concentrate more :)

This week I need to

--prep a chem lab for later

--write a chem test

--read ahead in history

--be available for geometry review (she's taking the PSAT on Saturday to have a score for summer programs) --she remembers almost all the problems she has ever worked (seriously--it's frightening) so I may have to find non-AoPS geometry problems for her to work

We arrived at my mom's in the USA on Wednesday. We managed to keep up with Latin, Danish and Math last week so I am not too stressed about last week's progress. But we are NOT on holiday, and I think we have adjusted to the time...so this week will be a full school week. But we will do some things differently in order to make the best of our opportunities here. I have some ideas, but will really think it through today.

My goals for today are to work on my Coursera courses (I'm doing 3) and get the quizzes done, get the kids' schoolwork for the week assigned, and get our mountain of laundry folded and put away. I've put in some time today on Coursera and I think I'm going to essentially spend the rest of the day rotating through the things on my list.

My goal for today is to stop coughing! I have this lingering cough from being sick last week so I'm still up several times a night hacking. I didn't work out today in hopes of not aggravating anything so that I can feel better soon and get back to it full blast. We had a storm last night, which kept one of my boys up until 5am, I'm letting him sleep in a bit today and we will still be keeping the day light, mostly read alouds and memory work.

I had last week all planned out, then dd was sick with a stomach virus for 2 1/2 days so that shot a hole in things. I did manage to do a little math every day and it gave her plenty of time to read though. This week we have two field trips/classes scheduled, plus coop, so I'm trying to squeeze in as much as I can around them. It will be okay...right?!

Another week shot down early it seems.  I have a horrible mold allergy....and yep, it rained Sat, Sunday, today, and it is supposed to rain more tomorrow.  I've been sneezing nonstop since yesterday and now I'm all stuffed up, achy, and have a horrible headache.

I may try to get something done later if some allergy meds kick in.

Stefanie

It's raining in here too. Hot chocolate with marshmallows, all round!

Not going so bad here today, in spite of the rain. I've got a little fussing on grammar review (Oh, we were supposed to learn this? What's up with that, Mom!) but it's almost lunch time, and nobody but me is going to like lunch. It's going to be delicious (homemade beef stew, bread and butter and a fruit tart) but I'll still take heat for it. Such is life.

Latin and math went super well, so hopefully when all these collective blood sugars go up the rest of the day will improve too.

If you find that thread, Jenny, please let me know! I tried to find it this morning, and either it is gone or my eyes are seriously going.

I can't find last week's thread or any indication that there is one for this week.

I could start one, I suppose, but that would require coming out of my funk more than I feel I can manage today.

There was one yesterday. I've been all over looking for it. I feel kind of like I'm hunting for my keys in the fridge at this point.

Since I'm well fortified with as much Monday enthusiasm as a rainy day can generate, I'll go get one started. :laugh: Many apologies if I tromp all over toes, but I can't find the blasted thing!

It's raining in here too. Hot chocolate with marshmallows, all round!

I hate Spring/Fall/Winter.  Summer is so much drier....and I do much better with my pollen based allergies than my mold one.  I'm sure the cat allergy isn't helping the mold one too so I may have to spend the day dealing with the cat hair too.  The only upshot to the allergies is that I spend so much time sneezing/coughing from them that I don't seem to catch things like the flu or strep.

Stefanie

Another week shot down early it seems.  I have a horrible mold allergy....and yep, it rained Sat, Sunday, today, and it is supposed to rain more tomorrow.  I've been sneezing nonstop since yesterday and now I'm all stuffed up, achy, and have a horrible headache.

I may try to get something done later if some allergy meds kick in.

Stefanie

Allergies are no fun :( 

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Don't miss my allergy symptoms, that's for sure.  I used to have them pretty bad, but getting rid of gluten for me evidently did something to my high histamine response, because they just don't bug me anymore. Thankfully.

Colds on the other hand...I've got one boy imitating a very grouchy bullfrog today, so I figure my turn is just around the corner. :thumbdown:

There was one yesterday. I've been all over looking for it. I feel kind of like I'm hunting for my keys in the fridge at this point.

Since I'm well fortified with as much Monday enthusiasm as a rainy day can generate, I'll go get one started. :laugh: Many apologies if I tromp all over toes, but I can't find the blasted thing!

The threads seem to be gone :(

One music lesson, one math lesson, and lots of laundry done. 

Lots of work left to do; we have family coming into town this week so on top of school I need to get the house in some kind of decent order. Housework and homeschool are in constant conflict around here, I can stay on top of one or the other but not both.

I feel for you ladies with allergy issues, my worse time is the Spring but I'm doing pretty good lately. Feeling less funky today, thankfully. Maybe it was just wicked PMS, who knows. 

Day is going better. Both kids have LA and Math done, ds has also done history. We checked out mushrooms on our walk and read some about them. Getting ready to finish with read-alouds, more science and art I think. I just decided on evolution for our science right now, I added some videos on evolution posted earlier to my playlist and we started the Evolution of Calpurnia Tate last week, so it will be a good tie in. I also have books on the body, bugs and trees. 

I finally got my Degas books from the library so I wanted to read those today. Hmm, well the dc's just begged to paint the pumpkins so I guess we're doing that for the moment. 

I had ds use the Typing Instructor Plantinum this year to learn regular typing and now I let him use it for assignments. I've told him that if I catch him typing incorrectly he'll lose the privlege of typing and have to go back to writing everything by hand, which is pretty big motivation, although for the most part he does it correctly as he has realized it is faster. He's not speedy by any means but he can at least do it correctly.

I've been presenting the concept of typing as awesome for editing. But we are such pencil and paper folks! My go to when writing is always my 0.9 mechanical pencil and a yellow legal pad. And both boys seem to be trending the same way. Maybe when we move into a lot of revision in our writing I can show them the advantages.

Got through all subjects for Monday, and didn't have to discipline complaining once. I've got one boy well and truly coming down with a cold, running a touch of fever and subdued, but even he got through his day. He's in the kitchen now, eating two bowls of his favorite cereal and joking with his brother, so he can't be too bad. I didn't have him work on his room today, but I'll simply bump that chore to later in the week.

As for me, I've managed a hot meal for those who wanted one, did my daily housekeeping, laundry done, dishes ready to go, and only the dog walk and garbage to the curb left to do. 

I plan to spend the rest of my evening writing, and the boys will probably listen to Bunnicula, work on their stories and draw for what's left of the day.

Not bad for a rainy Monday. Not bad at all.

Wish all days went so well!

Two more math lessons done. Dance practice and one dance lesson done, dd11's class is in progress and doesn't end till 9:00; usually she gets a ride home but tonight I have to go pick her up, so one more hour in the car for me. I picked up some groceries on the way home from ds's class and now need to go make dinner.

Feeling good because it's been a pretty productive day, even though there are things undone (there are always things undone...)

Well, I'm feeling better.  No rain in sight for the rest of the week.  I'm ready to go for school, DD on the other hand....must not be feeling good.  (She suffers allergies as well)  She was overtired last night and in complete histrionic meltdown, and of course, sending her to bed early was even more of a meltdown.  But, it's 10:30 here and she's still asleep.  So, school is maybe a maybe today. 

Stefanie

I feel better today as well. I don't know how it's possible after going for a ride last night to test my new leather, I thought for sure I'd end up with pneumonia, but I'm not coughing as much, I'll take that!! The boys are having a break now after getting through morning time and the death of Roland, lol. In a few minutes we'll do memory work, math, latin and call it good. Ooh and phonics, please don't let me forget phonics!!

My sick one yesterday woke up feeling much better, and he also spent a good bit of yesterday outside after the rain went through. He claimed that he felt better out there, and I suspect the moist, cool air on his sore throat did feel good. He's quite happy to work today. Got through a lot of Latin, and Math went very well for both. No complaining, but then, there is a beautiful day waiting outside for those who work well today!

We are all in a creative mood, so I think, after spelling, grammar and lunch, we will spend most of the afternoon writing, and going outside to take advantage of a really great fall day.

Stefanie, it sound like your girl needs some rest, some days are just like that.

mama25- perhaps the cool air was good for you :)

On break here various and assorted things done. Various and assorted things left to do. My head hurts. I've been up since 2:30 and I'm no longer thinking clearly and tonight we have robotics. Sigh. So, I still have math and a phonics lesson for dd, I might let her off easy today and just practice reading. 

My anxiety is trying to rear its head again, long story short and I'm trying to muddle through. Keep on keeping on, we will start back here in a few minutes. I will finish math with dd- whose suddenly having issues with subtraction and is refusing any help or teaching and we will do some phonics. I will read some history to ds and he will read some on his own for science and history. I don't know what else, that might be it today, along with a nap :)

Stefanie, it sound like your girl needs some rest, some days are just like that.

mama25- perhaps the cool air was good for you :)

On break here various and assorted things done. Various and assorted things left to do. My head hurts. I've been up since 2:30 and I'm no longer thinking clearly and tonight we have robotics. Sigh. So, I still have math and a phonics lesson for dd, I might let her off easy today and just practice reading.

My anxiety is trying to rear its head again, long story short and I'm trying to muddle through. Keep on keeping on, we will start back here in a few minutes. I will finish math with dd- whose suddenly having issues with subtraction and is refusing any help or teaching and we will do some phonics. I will read some history to ds and he will read some on his own for science and history. I don't know what else, that might be it today, along with a nap :)

I say skip everything else and get a nap! I hope you're able to keep your anxiety at bay.

Haha what accountability!! Yesterday I decided we'd take the day off because my nephew was only here for 2 hours and I needed to get a bunch done in the house before a huge plumbing job starts. Was all set to start up today until my almost 2 year old broke his leg yesterday!!! I barely slept last night trying to comfort him and today he was so miserable that I declared no school today. Tomorrow we never school so we'll see how thursday and Friday go.

Right now all I can think about is sleep

I did it.  We got through all of Monday's work.  The first half went well-ish.  Bible, memory work and reading went super.  DD actually read for the first time in forever....and she read well except I noticed she threw in a lot of extra the, and, ofs etc and skipped others completely.  Grammar/copywork just went okay since I was starting to lose her.  She was really trying to play games with the handwriting/copy-work.  I know she was playing games because she'd make the mistake, slant her eyes at me to see if I was going to correct it, and when she saw that I wasn't immediately corrected it herself.  Spelling I cut my losses early.  She did her worksheet before lunch/pick up and when got back 2 hours later she was gone for the day.

After lunch didn't go so well.  She refused the spelling tile work she usually likes to do.  No biggie, she'd already done the worksheet so I let it go. She did the Spanish homework well enough but it took quite a bit of wrangling to get her focused enough to start it.  Math was almost a complete loss.  All over the place during "instruction" and majorly playing games when we tried to start the practice problems.  I finally got up to do my own work and she spazzed out about the idea that I wasn't going to sit with her and she'd have to do math with me later (and miss her TV time).  I held her too it, I did my own chores and she did her math independently.  Fortunately it was a bit of review from the Saxon work she'd already covered.

*sigh*  It just makes me so frustrated that she plays the "I'm going to pretend I don't know how to write" game.  I may see about just giving her a timer and let her do all "writing" independently and then go back and review/discuss it with her.  She only writes for her copywork, spelling and math.

Stefanie

I try very hard to force her to get 12 hours of sleep daily.  If that means she goes 'to bed' at 6 and screams her head off until 8:30 so she is out by 9, oh well.  Otherwise she's screaming her head off about going to bed until 11:30 or later.  How much "force" I use and her bed time really depends on how much she has been channeling a 16 year old that day.

Stefanie

Three math lessons, two typing lessons, one reading lesson, one orchestra practice, one dance class, and one soccer game completed. And ds9 finished watching the videos for the coursera dinos 101 class. No foreign language study, I really need to get that going on a regular basis again.

hijkkfj- Goodness, that's horrible :( Poor baby, and mama!

Stefanie- I hear ya, the kids need sleep, our schedule has been wonky as of late and it is messing us all up.

We did a quick finish to the day yesterday and I had a quick nap and ended up a few minutes late for the girls dance class.

Now today we didn't get to bed to almost 11 since our FLL team was here past 10, so everyone is still in bed. I slept better but I'm still behind. Today will be a get it done day, 3Rs and then some read-alouds for science and history. Ds also has to be getting in some time for programming so we've got to cut it a bit short. 

I've also made an executive decision to follow a rabbit trail with our history :). I want to park a bit on slavery so we're changing up our reading for now, I have a book for ds to read and one for a RA. We're going to finish up our William Penn book as well. In science I had a stack of books from the library and I let ds pick yesterday. He went with a book about bones and after he read I had him label the parts of a skeleton I had bought (cheap ones from the dollar store I bought for science). So, he'll continue with that today and I'll go over some with dd. 

I gotta brag! Boys took a unit test in First Form Latin today and got 98 and 95 on their tests! This is after bombing several quizzes. After the first two were horrible, I made them their own study guides on index cards for the lesson, and we have reviewed every lesson in this unit every school day using those little books. 

I am so pleased! We signed off on Unit 2, and stuck nice stickers in our study guides as incentives. The big test over both units is next week. I'm less terrified than I was, though.

Today was entirely off schedule to do sleeping late. Dd cooked breakfast then spent all morning creating how own village in the forest inspired by Roxaboxen, not sure where that came from as we haven't read it in forever but I love it when they play like that. She had to think of what to use for her money, she made a jail, and a sign and laws. She came in around lunch and we did her seatwork, lucky for us both her math lesson today was an easy and quick one, although it was the official intro of multiplication which slightly scared her. 

Ds did his work in the morning. BA 4B for math (did I mentioned I got in Horizons 4- as he had been doing review in 3, well I don't like it as well, evidently the writers are different sigh!). Not sure what I want to do. I need to move him forward some as so much is review but balancing that review and introducing new stuff, is so hard. Maybe I'll go back to pulling bits and pieces for review. He did a lesson in TC and he wanted to work on grammar with sentences from the book he was reading (Mistmantle Chronicles). Still pondering grammar for him, I don't think I want to move onto MCT Voyage Grammar yet but then again it might be the best option. I'm thinking about teaching him diagramming as well, we did a spelling lesson and we started reading about slavery (Sugar, Spice and Slavery RA- The Kidnapped Prince- SSR). Science was programming today, I think he figured out how program the gyro how he wanted, or at least it seemed right to me (although I honestly don't know much of anything about it- he learned from youtube!). 

I've got to motivate my tired self to clean up so we can go to dance, tkd and PSR and I'd like to get in some read-alouds as we haven't done that yet.

:grouphug: Stefanie, I hope your day got better.

We made it through today, somehow. I had a mile long to-do list, ds wasn't feeling well, the baby woke up complaining about her ear and I didn't feel good either. 

So, ds did math, spelling and writing- I typed for him as he was feeling pretty icky by that point, and we finished up with some history read-alouds. Dd did reading, phonics and math and that's it. Her writing was making cards for the visitation I had to attend this afternoon:( I had planned to send books for ds to read while I was gone but he felt so bad I decided to call it good and done. I had hoped to do more read-alouds myself but as I had the visitation I just didn't have anymore time and since we're all feeling icky it is just as well I guess.

Here's hoping everyone gets to feeling better soon and next week is better.

We made it through today, somehow. I had a mile long to-do list, ds wasn't feeling well, the baby woke up complaining about her ear and I didn't feel good either.

So, ds did math, spelling and writing- I typed for him as he was feeling pretty icky by that point, and we finished up with some history read-alouds. Dd did reading, phonics and math and that's it. Her writing was making cards for the visitation I had to attend this afternoon:( I had planned to send books for ds to read while I was gone but he felt so bad I decided to call it good and done. I had hoped to do more read-alouds myself but as I had the visitation I just didn't have anymore time and since we're all feeling icky it is just as well I guess.

Here's hoping everyone gets to feeling better soon and next week is better.

I hope you all feel better soon!

Well.  This week started off ok but has gone way downhill.  I'm actually really pissed off right now, maybe I need talking down . . . my oldest only got through about half her list today before horseback riding.  She also took two weeks to do a writing project I thought should take just one.   And I'm not sure how I feel about what she produced.  I has asked her to write a report on the main elements of life, and she did . . . but it's kind of a chatty, Basher-style thing, not really what I had in mind.  She said she tried to make it more interesting.  And it is, but it's kind of a science-writing-for-kids or blog-style, definitely not academic style.  I can't decide whether to applaud the creativity - after all, the purpose of the lesson was for her to learn the material about these elements - or to send her back to rewrite it.  I am really hating trying to teach writing right now.

In view of how little she got done today, I decided to check the computer's browser history, and sure enough, she spent an hour screwing around while she was in here "working."  Here I was thinking she was doing such a good job working independently. . . Apparently she is not ready to be let out of my sight for an extended period of time.  In any event, she will have some 'splaining to do when she gets home tonight!!!  I was going to let her have tomorrow off, because we are leaving mid day to go out of town for the weekend, but now I'm thinking she will spend the morning completing today's work.

I am trying to restrain my desire to completely overreact.

Sigh.  I thought this year was going so well.   I don't know how to be in two places, with two people, at the same time.   I really, really do not know how people with multiple children pull it off.

We still haven't done anything school related this week.  I'm so run down because of my pregnancy and trying to keep my youngest happy.  He's so miserable because all he wants to do is play outside but with his cast he can't.  Tomorrow I will at least be doing math and reading with my nephew.

Oh, I wish.  That was just the opening shot across the bow.  Full blown contest of wills *all day long* over *everything*.

But......I did get her through everything. 

I know I've brought it upon myself somewhat, lots of inconsistency this year and letting her push off things.  But, I am crazy mad at her today.  She was just a JERK and everything out of her mouth was rude/disrespectful. 

I got threatened/bribed 3 times that "she wouldn't do x unless she got y".  Um...nope, not gonna happen child.

Multiple issues with breakfast/lunch.  DH brought in surprise donuts.  She got one and went to grandson's room to eat it.  Nope, followed her into there and told her to go eat at the table.  "I didn't hear you".  Repeat instruction.  "I didn't hear you".  Physically walk her to the table and sit her down....2 minutes later she's, with donut still in hand, getting up to go back there.  Um.. NOPE!  Repeat for lunch.

Ask her to go brush her teeth.  She goes in bathroom, comes out and starts throwing a stuffed animal around the room.  I repeat, go brush your teeth.  "I can't find my toothpaste."  Walk her into the bathroom and it is sitting right there.  "Oh, I didn't see it."  I'm 100% convinced that she didn't actually brush her teeth because she didn't pass the smell test.  At this point, I let teeth go, and give her an outfit to put on, she's spending 20 minutes "in the bathroom".  Finally I just walk out the door with out her. 

Get back home, sit down to do bible.  She starts screaming, "Oh, WHY do we HAVE to do bible" over the back of the couch.  She gave me the perfect target so *smack*.  Then she spent 10 minutes fake crying through bible.

Moving on....more attitude in the next subject.  Give up, move on to *chores*.  I made her stand next to me during laundry, dishes, and I even started making her clean her room.  I had her pick up all the dirty clothes off her floor and take them to her hamper in the laundry room.  It kind of got some laundry from allover piled on top and when she brought in her clothes she snarked (yes the tone was rude) about how "I" needed to "do the laundry".  I said, "great suggestion, you can start on it now since you want to be so disrespectful about it".  Its about 3 loads worth and I made her load/unload the first one today.   She says she is now "ready to do school".

Start up again....more attitude.  Okay, trampoline time.  I tell her she needs to bounce for 15 minutes.  She bounces less than 1 minute and starts playing/laying down.  It takes her 40 minutes to jump 10 minutes.  Leave to go get baby.  She falls asleep for *5 minutes*. 

Get home and try again.  This time I load up her copy work and just hand it to and walk away.  Correct it two times for "defiance" games before she gets it right.  Now we try narration.  I had to lock up the cat to keep her from jumping up off the couch to throw herself on him.  Once I did that school went well.  We did reading, also surprisingly went well but not long.  Next up spelling, skipped the tiles and just tackled the test we missed last week.  Spelled great but the cat escaped and so we had issues with the cat being a distraction, again.  Skipped Spanish.

Now onto Math.  I didn't even try for instruction the first time around.  I just handed her the worksheets and walked away.  It went okay after she came to me for "help".  Uncovered a problem from an area we have already covered and need to make sure we address.  Once math was done, the behavior went back down hill.  

Went to the store and the whole way there it was "If I'm good can I get....", NOPE.  

And it was all because she didn't get enough sleep.   After the 3 days of issues with TV, I'm done.  She is not allowed TV AT ALL on the weekdays anymore.  Between her screaming for 2 hours over not getting to watch a certain show (because she chose to watch other things) and how I needed to let her stay up to watch it at bedtime on Monday, her trying to get me to blow off school subjects so she could go 'watch tv' on Tuesday, and sneaking off to the baby's room to watch TV for 2 hours after bedtime on Wednesday....the TV is GONE. And that is essentially why she was such a jerk today....she wanted to watch TV and she was going to bully me to do it.

Stefanie